ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 12th February 2020, 02:39 AM   #2681
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Whatever happened to Hillary campaign manager Podesta’s BROTHER? Wasn’t he caught, forced to leave his firm, with BIG BAD things to happen? Why did nothing ever happen to him, only to the “other” side?

A swamp creature with “pull” was just sentenced to two months in jail for a similar thing that they want Stone to serve 9 years for. A phony Mueller Witch Hunt disgrace. Caught!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 02:41 AM   #2682
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Impeachment King Steyer (how did that work out?) spent 200 Million Dollars and got less than 1% of the vote in Iowa, and only 3% of the Vote in New Hampshire. Could it be that something is just plain missing? Not easy to do what I did, is it?

Elizabeth Warren, sometimes referred to as Pocahontas, is having a really bad night. I think she is sending signals that she wants out. Calling for unity is her way of getting there, going home, and having a “nice cold beer” with her husband!

A lot of Democrat dropouts tonight, very low political I.Q.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 02:45 AM   #2683
Worm
Illuminator

What is with all the tweets about prosecutions, sentences etc.?

Isn't the President supposed to stay out of judicial decision-making?

I know it seems hopeless to expect Trump to respect any kind of formalities, but aren't there actual rules about the Executive interfering with the Judiciary?

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 02:50 AM   #2684
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump should just make one Tweet on endless repeat:

"Trust no none but ME!"
Old 12th February 2020, 04:17 AM   #2685
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Worm View Post

I know it seems hopeless to expect Trump to respect any kind of formalities, but aren't there actual rules about the Executive interfering with the Judiciary?
I don't like this new normal where the king says and does whatever he likes and he gets away with it because his supporters in parliament reap benefits from keeping the madman in power.
Old 12th February 2020, 04:19 AM   #2686
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

He is certainly whipping up a frenzy inside that head of his.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 04:49 AM   #2687
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Impeach him again.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 05:10 AM   #2688
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Why would there be? DOJ deliberations are generally kept internal, there is usually no reason to make them available to the public.
Considering the body of work of those involved, why would you give them the benefit of the doubt?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 05:12 AM   #2689
TofuFighter
Master Poster

This link is to a Hill article in which George Conway agrees with your suggestion.

It's a pretty bizarre situation that the United States finds itself in here in which the bad mob boss wins. Each subsequent flouting of the constitution and rule of law by the president is on the hands of the acquitting senators. It is quite likely that one or more of them are going to find their way onto his **** list anyway at some point and feel the pointy end of his petty vindictive nature, exactly what they appear to have been trying to avoid with their senate trial vote.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 05:14 AM   #2690
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Impeach him again.
Not sure that's a good idea. It might make the Democrats look desperate.

In any event, now the focus should be on the election, and making sure that it's won by a good enough margin that Trump can't convince those on the fence that it was illegitimate and break US democracy.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 05:21 AM   #2691
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post

In any event, now the focus should be on the election, and making sure that it's won by a good enough margin that Trump can't convince those on the fence that it was illegitimate and break US democracy.
That would motivate the American people to mobilise their Twitter accounts!
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 06:29 AM   #2692
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Impeach him again.
Yeah let's remove any chance that he won't be re-elected.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 06:50 AM   #2693
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Yeah let's remove any chance that he won't be re-elected.
It was quite flippant but I reckon there is more to come out on this story.

But Trump shouldn’t be held to account in case it motivates his base.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 12th February 2020 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12th February 2020, 06:53 AM   #2694
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

But Trump shouldn’t be held account in case it motivates his base.
Don't play coy and obtuse. Stop acting like not living in the real world makes you better then the rest of us.

His "motivated base" is why he we can't hold him accountable. You can't separate the two just purify your idealism.

If Trump wins in 2020, he will strength his hold, most notably on the Supreme Court, and dealing with him will become less possible, not more and where will your "holier then though" idealism be then?
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 06:58 AM   #2695
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Not usually, no. In this case there is, and the timing of the tweet is irrelevant. We all know what happened : Trump got the news, unloaded on Barr, and Barr got on the case. There'll be no paper-trail, of course, not in Trump's White House and Barr's DoJ.
A conspiracy theory that contains its own rationale for why it cannot be proven and hence cannot be disproven either. Nice.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 07:05 AM   #2696
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Don't play coy and obtuse. Stop acting like not living in the real world makes you better then the rest of us.

His "motivated base" is why he we can't hold him accountable. You can't separate the two just purify your idealism.

If Trump wins in 2020, he will strength his hold, most notably on the Supreme Court, and dealing with him will become less possible, not more and where will your "holier then though" idealism be then?
If he wins and continues on this authoritarian trajectory, what will you be doing?

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 12th February 2020 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Addressing wrong black avatar
Old 12th February 2020, 07:07 AM   #2697
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

If he wins and continues on this authoritarian trajectory, what will you be doing? Arguing pedantically with Trump critics on these forums?
I honestly don't know. I will spend the time until then arguing against showy, useless "If we don't win our way it isn't a win" idealism, not for it.

It's not a coincidence that every way we're being told we have to win is also a ready made "Moral victory" narrative for the Democrats for when we lose.
Old 12th February 2020, 07:11 AM   #2698
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Retweeted

Lori Hendry TEXT TRUMP TO 88022
@Lrihendry
Just got off the phone with my brother in New Hampshire. He said his girlfriend is a Democrat but after watching the SOTU and saw Pelosi‘s behavior, she said she’s going today and register as a republican & said she’ll never vote for a Democrat again as long as she lives! WINNING
Ignoring the argument-by-insufficient-sample-size fallacy, we’ve reached the point that the president has nothing better to do than retweet anecdotes of dubious authenticity about a single voter.

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post

Aaahhhhhhh!!!11!!

You are saying we need extraordinary evidence to convince someone of an ordinary claim.

Furthermore, if the Democrats win by 8 electoral votes and 1,000,000 voters and someone says “well that is not a large enough margin to convince a fence-sitter like me,” then they are not fence sitters.

If someone is gullible enough to believe President Trump’s assertion of voter fraud if the numbers are close, then there is no evidence that will convince them that the president is wrong when he asserts 2020 election fraud when the numbers are not close.

President Trump asserted 4-6 million fraudulent voters when he won and none of his followers (fence-sitters or not) said, “hmmm, no Republican governor, Republican secretary of state, or Republican attorney general could find anything within two orders of magnitude of that claim, therefore I should be careful not to take the president’s assertions on faith.”

we’re ******. This will not end well.

Last edited by Ladewig; 12th February 2020 at 07:12 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 07:11 AM   #2699
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

A conspiracy theory that contains its own rationale for why it cannot be proven and hence cannot be disproven either. Nice.
It is irrelevant because it is in the national interest to maintain an appearance of Independence of the DOJ to tt WH
In this case, Barr has failed by seemingly acquiescing to Trump.
Old 12th February 2020, 07:17 AM   #2700
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
You are saying we need extraordinary evidence to convince someone of an ordinary claim.
No, I'm saying exactly what I said.

Old 12th February 2020, 07:23 AM   #2701
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Lori Hendry TEXT TRUMP TO 88022
@Lrihendry
Just got off the phone with my brother in New Hampshire. He said his girlfriend is a Democrat but after watching the SOTU and saw Pelosi‘s behavior, she said she’s going today and register as a republican & said she’ll never vote for a Democrat again as long as she lives! WINNING
Wow. I'm 99.9% sure that the story told in this tweet is a lie. For a person to decide to become a Trumpanzee after watching Pelosi's behavior is laughable.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 07:27 AM   #2702
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I don't like this new normal where the king says and does whatever he likes and he gets away with it because his supporters in parliament reap benefits from keeping the madman in power.
According to Trumpanzees, you're wrong because those in parliament are afraid of the voters, therefore Trump is not a dictator/king. Nevermind the fact that Trump and the GOP are using government powers to try and rig the elections so that the voters really don't matter.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 07:29 AM   #2703
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Wow. I'm 99.9% sure that the story told in this tweet is a lie. For a person to decide to become a Trumpanzee after watching Pelosi's behavior is laughable.
Oh, I find it very believable that a woman would tell her MAGA boyfriend whatever she thinks will stop him talking about Trump and Pelosi.
Old 12th February 2020, 07:34 AM   #2704
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Unhappy

Trump Tweets

Whatever happened to Hillary campaign manager Podesta’s BROTHER? Wasn’t he caught, forced to leave his firm, with BIG BAD things to happen? Why did nothing ever happen to him, only to the “other” side?

A swamp creature with “pull” was just sentenced to two months in jail for a similar thing that they want Stone to serve 9 years for. A phony Mueller Witch Hunt disgrace. Caught!
Who does Trump think should have gone after Podesta?

And in the second tweet, he appears to be accusing both the Justice Department and the judge of corruption.

Besides which it's dubious what the factual basis of this claim is supposed to be.

So maybe he is putting out incendiary tweets as a distraction. Keep your eye on the ball, media.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 07:36 AM   #2705
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Oh, I find it very believable that a woman would tell her MAGA boyfriend whatever she thinks will stop him talking about Trump and Pelosi.
No man is good enough in bed to make the MAGA nonsense worth it
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 07:38 AM   #2706
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/RepValDemings/st...050926592?s=20

Quote:
Today Senate Republicans blocked THREE election security bills.

Two would require that illegal foreign election interference be reported to the authorities.

The other would make voting machines harder to hack.

All blocked.
Old 12th February 2020, 07:38 AM   #2707
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
No man is good enough in bed to make the MAGA nonsense worth it
Yeah but you just know there's some messed up political role playing going on in bedrooms across America right now.
Old 12th February 2020, 07:42 AM   #2708
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
No way? He's been doing that anyways all along, despite making it perfectly clear that he's full of dung when he does so all along. Stone's just one more transgression to add to the mountain.
Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Laugh him off the stage?
What are you talking about?
He’ll bluster and bull **** and tell a story that his followers (and those without knowledge of the case) will lap up.

I’ve made the same mistake as well. People on this board overestimate the number of Americans who use facts, logic, and skepticism to make political decisions.
I'm not implying his base will change. No one ever expects it to because it never will. His base is there forever and always, which is why I clarified fencesitters. Even moderates have to get sick of the constant **** talking, and loud mouthed screaming. It gets old. I can't even listen to Trump's interviews, the sound of his voice is just terrible. The man talks like a complete and total moron, and I can't imagine sitting through a rally.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 07:45 AM   #2709
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I think it would've been better for our democracy if Trump just pardoned Stone instead of corrupting the DOJ to ask for a lighter sentence. However, I'm sure the point is to show the world that he controls the justice system and that he IS the law.
Old 12th February 2020, 07:51 AM   #2710
Armitage72
Illuminator

Trump Tweets

TOUGH GUYS FOR TRUMP!

This accompanies a video of Larry David’s show 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' where he is threatened by a biker and puts on a MAGA hat to calm him down.

It's too bad he didn't show other parts of the episode, in which he reveals that he uses the hat to repel people in public when he doesn't want them to sit near him or talk to him.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 10:43 AM   #2711
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

After moments of consideration, I propose a new rule of thumb, akin to Godwin's Law: The Law of Trump's Accusation Farts

"Whenever Trump makes an accusation against some one, he is also guilty of that same thing. In other words, he who smelt it has also dealt it."

The only known exception is that Trump was never born in Kenya.

I'm open to feedback/modifications.
Old 12th February 2020, 10:46 AM   #2712
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Fake News @CNN and MSDNC have not surprisingly refused to talk about my record setting number of voters in New Hampshire (and in Iowa). That’s why they are poorly rated Fake News! I will win both states in November.

Congratulations to Attorney General Bill Barr for taking charge of a case that was totally out of control and perhaps should not have even been brought. Evidence now clearly shows that the Mueller Scam was improperly brought & tainted. Even Bob Mueller lied to Congress!

Two months in jail for a Swamp Creature, yet 9 years recommended for Roger Stone (who was not even working for the Trump Campaign). Gee, that sounds very fair! Rogue prosecutors maybe? The Swamp! @foxandfriends @TuckerCarlson

@dagenmcdowell, “Every Democrat is running to raise taxes. She (Pocahontas) lied about her ethnicity, that was her problem.” @MariaBartiromo
So true Dagen!
Old 12th February 2020, 10:51 AM   #2713
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Worm View Post

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Susan Collins said he'd learned a lesson from the impeachment. She wasn't exactly wrong.
Old 12th February 2020, 11:06 AM   #2714
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
After moments of consideration, I propose a new rule of thumb, akin to Godwin's Law: The Law of Trump's Accusation Farts

"Whenever Trump makes an accusation against some one, he is also guilty of that same thing. In other words, he who smelt it has also dealt it."

The projection was amazingly stark during the prayer gathering when he accused Pelosi of faking her Christianity and lying about praying for people. At the same meeting he demonstrated total ignoring and scorn towards core tenets of the faith.
Old 12th February 2020, 11:14 AM   #2715
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

I honestly don't know. I will spend the time until then arguing against showy, useless "If we don't win our way it isn't a win" idealism, not for it.

It's not a coincidence that every way we're being told we have to win is also a ready made "Moral victory" narrative for the Democrats for when we lose.
Its not about the means of winning. It is about ensuring democracy and a fair society is maintained. He and Barr just cannot be interfering with the judicial system like that and especially not to lighten the punishment of one of Trump’s cronies. This is ludicrous. You cannot allow him to get away with this ****. There is more to come but if there is evidence of wrong doing by either of these ********* then they should be held accountable.
Old 12th February 2020, 11:16 AM   #2716
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Well, he was supposedly born in Jamaica Hospital Medical Center. Jamaica is another country, isn't it?

Ok, technically Jamaica hospital is in New York.. Lets ignore that fact for this joke, shall we?

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 11:51 AM   #2717
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

I don't think he was menstruating when he made that remark about blood from wherever.

Then again, I know nothing about Trump's species, so what do I know.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"I cannot say is is suffering from a pathological narcissistic personality disorder, but I think it is clear he is doing a perfect impersonation of someone who is." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 11:53 AM   #2718
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Impeach him again.
What good would that do?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 11:54 AM   #2719
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Its not about the means of winning. It is about ensuring democracy and a fair society is maintained. He and Barr just cannot be interfering with the judicial system like that and especially not to lighten the punishment of one of Trump’s cronies. This is ludicrous. You cannot allow him to get away with this ****. There is more to come but if there is evidence of wrong doing by either of these ********* then they should be held accountable.
Then what should we do?
You keep on screaming for Americans to do something, but don't tell us what, from a pragmatic point of view, we can do.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 12th February 2020 at 11:56 AM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 12:12 PM   #2720
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Are you suggesting it's not true? That Barr didn't order that the sentence recommendation be changed? Do you actually believe that he might not have? Barr serves Trump (and through him, God). Of course he did it.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics