ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 15th February 2020, 08:33 AM   #2921
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing
 
newyorkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 10,526
I have a hunch what is becoming a big negative for Trump is that even people who normally don't follow/pay much attention to politics are beginning to see that Trump seems mostly about Trump. His latest irritants, his thoughts, what caught his attention. He's not identified with any major policy initiatives. Healthcare, blue collar jobs, border security, an immigration policy. Oh sure, he talks about all of them but what's his plan? What is he trying to get Congress to pass? I would say it appears he isn't doing anything besides Tweeting and scheduling rallies. As one of the guys at work -- someone who voted for Trump -- says, "I thought he was different, but he's the same as all of them. Just talk."

He tries to connect himself to the economy but how many people think it's doing well 'because of Trump' or that he just happens to be 'in the right place at the right time.' Of course his supporters answer is, he reduced corporate taxes and regulations. Okay, but it's a lot harder to point to specific growth that was the result of lowering the corporate tax rate or citing regulations that were eliminated and led to growth in the economy. It might be a lot smarter to think the economy is good -- because of many complex interconnected factors -- and lowering the corporate tax rate and reducing regulations were just a bonus to the big corporations and fat cats who support Trump and the GOP.

Trump has hard core supporters who will always accept what he says as gospel -- we see it here -- but I don't think they really believe his BS either. I think they just like what he represents, they like he's the anti-liberal. He's a symbol.

I think it's undoubtedly true: without social media Trump wouldn't have even gotten the Republican nomination. Go back and read what Republicans like Lindsey Graham were saying about him in mid-2016. Without social media Trump had no way to counteract that. Reality is, his track record in business stinks. But again, for Trump's hard core base, his business failures and bankruptcies don't matter. They only care about what he Tweets.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 08:35 AM   #2922
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.
 
Ladewig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 27,155
Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
And, unfortunately, he's hardly the only one. When it's a Democrat in office, the President is a public servant. When it's a Republican, it's a king. That's if you go by right-wing media treatment.

Either way, this particular mob boss aspirant is bad news for the country.
Agreed.

I’m trying to imagine how many heads would asplode if President Obama had used that quote to refer to himself.
__________________
I lost an avatar bet to Doghouse Reilly.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 09:29 AM   #2923
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.
 
Ladewig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 27,155
Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post

Trump has hard core supporters who will always accept what he says as gospel -- we see it here -- but I don't think they really believe his BS either. I think they just like what he represents, they like he's the anti-liberal. He's a symbol.

I think it's undoubtedly true: without social media Trump wouldn't have even gotten the Republican nomination. Go back and read what Republicans like Lindsey Graham were saying about him in mid-2016. Without social media Trump had no way to counteract that. Reality is, his track record in business stinks. But again, for Trump's hard core base, his business failures and bankruptcies don't matter. They only care about what he Tweets.
And they are so loyal, they will always fervently believe the last thing he said. Even if it contradicts what he said yesterday. We’ve always been at war with Eastasia.
__________________
I lost an avatar bet to Doghouse Reilly.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 09:43 AM   #2924
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing
 
newyorkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 10,526
George Orwell nailed it.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 10:10 AM   #2925
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 24,193
Trump Tweets

IG report on Andrew McCabe: Misled Investigators over roll in news media disclosure...Lacked Candor (Lied) on four separate occasions...Authotized Media Leaks to advance personal interests...IG RECOMMENDED MCCABE’S FIRING.
@FoxNews @IngrahamAngle
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 10:30 AM   #2926
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher
 
Fast Eddie B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lenoir City, TN/Mineral Bluff, GA
Posts: 6,137
“Roll”, “Authotized”.

Barely literate, cognitive decline, or both?
__________________
“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that...I will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.” - President Donald J. Trump, January 20, 2017.
"And it's, frankly, disgusting the way the press is able to write whatever they want to write. And people should look into it." - President Donald J. Trump, October 11, 2017.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 10:32 AM   #2927
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 11,489
Interesting that Trump doesn't go after the Prosecutors who failed to get the Grand Jury to indite McCabe.
I guess he is running out of people at Justice who will work on any political case.
__________________
ETTD
Everything Trump Touches Dies
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 10:55 AM   #2928
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator
 
Delphic Oracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 4,317
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Where is your evidence of this?
If they spout religious gibberish to vulnerable communities they are con artists. That they are taking public funds to do so makes them double con artists.

Quote:
And who are these people who've been just as or more successful?
The groups not given public funds who were rated as more reliable, effective, and deserving of those funds.

Perhaps go back and read the story again.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 11:19 AM   #2929
Steve
Philosopher
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,925
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
“Roll”, “Authotized”.

Barely literate, cognitive decline, or both?
Keyboard too big for his tiny thumbs.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 11:22 AM   #2930
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator
 
Delphic Oracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 4,317
Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
And, unfortunately, he's hardly the only one. When it's a Democrat in office, the President is a public servant. When it's a Republican, it's a king. That's if you go by right-wing media treatment.

Either way, this particular mob boss aspirant is bad news for the country.
If you go by rights abandoned by legislative assemblies and contracted out to an executive agency without any ongoing rigorous oversight?

Then both parties have functionally enabled the President to act more and more like a king as time has gone on.

The Pentagon is assumed to have a certain kind of independence. I see good reasons for it, but then it also makes them a behemoth that can dominate the military committees of Congress and be an 800 lb. gorilla.

the DOJ has been smothered in expectation as being truly independent, but that's a clear farce given the records of many of it's top personnel in its history and don't even get me started on how politicized the FBI has been and remains (this doesn't mean partisan mind you, and certainly not how Trumpers imagine it).

I can't think of a single other agency I have even the most remote expectation that Congress actually has any will to get up in their face and grill them over all the reckless decisions they make. I fully expect every other agency to simply be an extension of a President's sole vision for how that area of policy should work. If the public gets up in a frenzy about something, sure, they'll all sit in their chairs practicing their concerned and judgmental faces and shout stuff. Look at the next budget, still the same ****. Look at the next appointment confirmation, new boss the same as the old boss.

But they get to make campaign ads showing them being "tough on corruption."

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 15th February 2020 at 11:23 AM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 12:11 PM   #2931
Lurch
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,174
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

It has been two years since the tragedy in Parkland. We will always mourn the innocent lives taken from us – 14 wonderful students and 3 terrific educators. Earlier this week, I met with families whose experiences from that horrible day still pierce the soul....

....Today, @FLOTUS and I encourage all Americans to cherish and honor the memory of those we have lost through acts of love and service. We will hold Parkland forever in our hearts.

@JodeyArrington from the Great State of Texas has been an incredible supporter of our #MAGA Agenda. Jodey fully supports Securing our Border w/ the WALL, he Loves our Military & Vets, and is Strong on the #2A. Jodey has my Complete and Total Endorsement!

@TomMcClintock is a strong Conservative Leader who will always fight for the people of California. He fully supports our #MAGA Agenda, will continue to Secure Our Border, Loves our Military & Vets, & is Strong on the #2A. Tom has my Complete Endorsement!

@LouieGohmertTX1 is a Fantastic Republican from the Great State of Texas! He fully supports our #MAGA and #KAG Agenda, Border WALL, Military, Vets, and your Second Amendment. Louie is my friend and has my Complete and Total Endorsement!

@MoInTheHouse Brooks is running for Congress in the Great State of Alabama. He is a huge supporter of the #MAGA Agenda. Mo fully supports Securing our Border w/the WALL, he Loves our Military & Vets, & is Strong on the #2A. Mo has my Complete Endorsement!

“The Greatest name in politics,”
Patrick @McHenryCampaign from the Great State of North Carolina, is a Conservative Fighter and a true Leader who ALWAYS supports our #MAGA Agenda. Patrick has my Complete and Total Endorsement!

So, they all support a barrier, the military, and guns in every hand. That's what makes America great? Such emphasis on three specific 'policies' that don't pay the bills for the majority of citizens.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 12:16 PM   #2932
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 11,489
How much Trump could improve the lives of his followers with a massive investment in rural infrastructure instead.
Of course, the GOP is dead set against that, as easier travel between urban and rural would dispell the lies about the evil citydwellers.
__________________
ETTD
Everything Trump Touches Dies
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 12:41 PM   #2933
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 18,718
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Keyboard too big for his tiny thumbs.
Hey, the President has the right, just like any citizen, to tweet with multiple misspellings.
__________________
"As your friend, I have to be honest with you: I don't care about you or your problems" - Chloe, Secret Life of Pets
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 12:56 PM   #2934
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Great Northwet
Posts: 26,151
It's not a misspelling when the President does it!
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 01:17 PM   #2935
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing
 
MRC_Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 22,603
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

IG report on Andrew McCabe: Misled Investigators over roll in news media disclosure...Lacked Candor (Lied) on four separate occasions...Authotized Media Leaks to advance personal interests...IG RECOMMENDED MCCABE’S FIRING.
@FoxNews @IngrahamAngle
I wonder who he is addressing with tweets like this? I mean, the MAGA hat folks cheering at his ralllies will probably not understand it, so who else is he talking to?

Hans
__________________
Experience is an excellent teacher, but she sends large bills.
MRC_Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 01:20 PM   #2936
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Coast, US
Posts: 6,067
Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
If they spout religious gibberish to vulnerable communities they are con artists. That they are taking public funds to do so makes them double con artists.
It's worth pointing out that one of the top rated choices specifically calls themselves "Catholic" as part of the name. That doesn't negate your criticism, but it is worthwhile to have as context. Going further, there's a much deeper discussion to be had when it comes to religious groups that provide good services that help meet needs like this. To touch on it briefly, pragmatically speaking, in the real world of yesteryear and today, you can't depend on such needs being magically met by secular groups taking initiative and handling it all. To look at religious groups versus secular, religious groups tend to have more motivating factors to do and contribute to such in the first place and more foundation and ability to fundraise to build off of, even if secular might happen to potentially be able to provide better quality help, if the actual resources available to each were effectively equal.

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
If you go by rights abandoned by legislative assemblies and contracted out to an executive agency without any ongoing rigorous oversight?
A fair counterpoint. As it was, I specifically limited my comment to the right-wing media because things get much more complicated in the real world and I really didn't feel like writing a lot there.
__________________
So sayeth the crazy little dragon.

Last edited by Aridas; 15th February 2020 at 01:22 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 02:11 PM   #2937
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator
 
Delphic Oracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 4,317
Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
It's worth pointing out that one of the top rated choices specifically calls themselves "Catholic" as part of the name. That doesn't negate your criticism, but it is worthwhile to have as context. Going further, there's a much deeper discussion to be had when it comes to religious groups that provide good services that help meet needs like this. To touch on it briefly, pragmatically speaking, in the real world of yesteryear and today, you can't depend on such needs being magically met by secular groups taking initiative and handling it all. To look at religious groups versus secular, religious groups tend to have more motivating factors to do and contribute to such in the first place and more foundation and ability to fundraise to build off of, even if secular might happen to potentially be able to provide better quality help, if the actual resources available to each were effectively equal.
Horse.

****.

I'll immediately dismiss half of the "help" as not being motivated to help but being motivated to recruit. Helping the person isn't the goal, it's the means to a more self-serving end. Plus my time in that community showed me how much its about "look how helpful and godly I am!"

As to having more internal fundraising in place? Good, then they don't need public funds.

Let's release the funds to whoever is most successful and needs the most support. Oh look, by your own description that's the secular groups.

Less effective methods receiving more spontaneous resources to work with is not an argument to give even more resources to that less effective method. Plus it is entirely fair to say that while they might do some good work in a specific task, it is worth asking what negative consequences arise in other matters of "whole person care."

Quote:
A fair counterpoint. As it was, I specifically limited my comment to the right-wing media because things get much more complicated in the real world and I really didn't feel like writing a lot there.
I'll grant you there's some qualitative differences in "pushing for it" and "quietly going along with it," but it wouldn't have happened without both. So pox on both their houses.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 15th February 2020 at 02:16 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 02:39 PM   #2938
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Coast, US
Posts: 6,067
Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
I'll immediately dismiss half of the "help" as not being motivated to help but being motivated to recruit. Helping the person isn't the goal, it's the means to a more self-serving end. Plus my time in that community showed me how much its about "look how helpful and godly I am!"
Yes, I was very much including that when I said such. Those factors are likely the main additional ones, after all.

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
As to having more internal fundraising in place? Good, then they don't need public funds.

Let's release the funds to whoever is most successful and needs the most support. Oh look, by your own description that's the secular groups.
To be clear here, I'm not particularly a fan of religion. However, I think that it's important to look at things clearly and holistically.

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Less effective methods receiving more spontaneous resources to work with is not an argument to give even more resources to that less effective method.
Unless, for example, the resources will end up doing more good if they go to them because the costs to run are already taken care of reliably and the already established infrastructure, experience, and networking is superior.

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Plus it is entirely fair to say that while they might do some good work in a specific task, it is worth asking what negative consequences arise in other matters of "whole person care."
It is. And that's a factor that varies quite significantly in religion-based service providers, not least because of how much the religious beliefs and practices vary.

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
I'll grant you there's some qualitative differences in "pushing for it" and "quietly going along with it," but it wouldn't have happened without both. So pox on both their houses.
I'd say that the roots of the situation are much more complex, overall, but... as I noted, I don't feel like delving especially deeply into it at the moment. Nor, for that matter, would delving into it especially deeply be on topic here. Still, I'd poke towards cowardice, the long-term systematic loss of systems that provide accountability, massive spending and effort by domestic forces to change cultural perspectives for their benefit at expense to everyone else, market forces and profit motive increasingly driving media coverage... just to start with.
__________________
So sayeth the crazy little dragon.

Last edited by Aridas; 15th February 2020 at 02:52 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 02:50 PM   #2939
Tero
Graduate Poster
 
Tero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North American prairie
Posts: 1,819
Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
I have a hunch what is becoming a big negative for Trump is that even people who normally don't follow/pay much attention to politics are beginning to see that Trump seems mostly about Trump. His latest irritants, his thoughts, what caught his attention. He's not identified with any major policy initiatives. Healthcare, blue collar jobs, border security, an immigration policy. Oh sure, he talks about all of them but what's his plan? What is he trying to get Congress to pass? I would say it appears he isn't doing anything besides Tweeting and scheduling rallies. As one of the guys at work -- someone who voted for Trump -- says, "I thought he was different, but he's the same as all of them. Just talk."

He tries to connect himself to the economy but how many people think it's doing well 'because of Trump' or that he just happens to be 'in the right place at the right time.' Of course his supporters answer is, he reduced corporate taxes and regulations. Okay, but it's a lot harder to point to specific growth that was the result of lowering the corporate tax rate or citing regulations that were eliminated and led to growth in the economy. It might be a lot smarter to think the economy is good -- because of many complex interconnected factors -- and lowering the corporate tax rate and reducing regulations were just a bonus to the big corporations and fat cats who support Trump and the GOP.

Trump has hard core supporters who will always accept what he says as gospel -- we see it here -- but I don't think they really believe his BS either. I think they just like what he represents, they like he's the anti-liberal. He's a symbol.

I think it's undoubtedly true: without social media Trump wouldn't have even gotten the Republican nomination. Go back and read what Republicans like Lindsey Graham were saying about him in mid-2016. Without social media Trump had no way to counteract that. Reality is, his track record in business stinks. But again, for Trump's hard core base, his business failures and bankruptcies don't matter. They only care about what he Tweets.
Good to hear about this Trump erosion. I summarized your summary into a tweet, or meme:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trump tweets and talks.jpg (70.3 KB, 10 views)
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 03:41 PM   #2940
Cain
Straussian
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 13,514
Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
I have a hunch what is becoming a big negative for Trump is that even people who normally don't follow/pay much attention to politics are beginning to see that Trump seems mostly about Trump. His latest irritants, his thoughts, what caught his attention. He's not identified with any major policy initiatives. Healthcare, blue collar jobs, border security, an immigration policy. Oh sure, he talks about all of them but what's his plan? What is he trying to get Congress to pass? I would say it appears he isn't doing anything besides Tweeting and scheduling rallies. As one of the guys at work -- someone who voted for Trump -- says, "I thought he was different, but he's the same as all of them. Just talk."

He tries to connect himself to the economy but how many people think it's doing well 'because of Trump' or that he just happens to be 'in the right place at the right time.' Of course his supporters answer is, he reduced corporate taxes and regulations. Okay, but it's a lot harder to point to specific growth that was the result of lowering the corporate tax rate or citing regulations that were eliminated and led to growth in the economy. It might be a lot smarter to think the economy is good -- because of many complex interconnected factors -- and lowering the corporate tax rate and reducing regulations were just a bonus to the big corporations and fat cats who support Trump and the GOP.

Trump has hard core supporters who will always accept what he says as gospel -- we see it here -- but I don't think they really believe his BS either. I think they just like what he represents, they like he's the anti-liberal. He's a symbol.

I think it's undoubtedly true: without social media Trump wouldn't have even gotten the Republican nomination. Go back and read what Republicans like Lindsey Graham were saying about him in mid-2016. Without social media Trump had no way to counteract that. Reality is, his track record in business stinks. But again, for Trump's hard core base, his business failures and bankruptcies don't matter. They only care about what he Tweets.
As long as people believe the economy is fine, a large portion of the electorate will not give a ****. Moreover, a high percentage of people who say they do not like Trump, or disapprove of Trump, are only saying those things because it's what people around them are saying. They're low-information voters not necessarily wedded to that view, and in crunch-time, they can be convinced to go with the devil that they know. Status quo bias is difficult to overcome.

Trump's vulnerable, but his numbers are remarkably strong given his administration's scandals and incompetence.
__________________
April 13th, 2018:
Ranb: I can't think of anything useful you contributed to a thread in the last few years.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 04:12 PM   #2941
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 80,079
Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post

The groups not given public funds who were rated as more reliable, effective, and deserving of those funds.

Perhaps go back and read the story again.
From the article:
Quote:
A September 12 internal DOJ memo recommended that the grant money go to the Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Palm Beach and Chicanos Por La Causa of Phoenix, according to an exclusive report by Reuters. The recommendations were based on reviews from outside contractors. Instead, the grant money went to two organizations the contractors gave lower ratings: Hookers for Jesus and the Lincoln Tubman Foundation.

The funding decision was made in order to "distribute funding across as many states as possible," according to a September 23 memo obtained by Reuters. Head of the Office of Justice Programs, Katharine Sullivan, approved the decision, telling Reuters, "Our funding decisions are based on a merit-based review system."
Catholic Charities has an obsessive pro-choice policy. Does that mean any pregnant prostitutes who want an abortion need to go elsewhere? Yes. And Catholics are still against birth control.

Chicanos Por La Causa of Phoenix appears to only have outpatient services.

Quote:
Hookers for Jesus is a Christian organization founded by former sex worker and sex trafficking victim Annie Lobert in 2007. The organization operates Destiny House, a one-year safehouse program for sex-trafficking victims and women who want to leave sex work, as well as a number of other outreach programs.
Who were the outside contractors who made the recommendation?

I'm the last person who would support Bush's Faith Based grants. But anti-abortion vs anti-gay... and the inpatient treatment program vs only outpatient... It's not as clear cut as you make it out to be.
__________________
Trump Lied, People Died What color hat should I order with that logo? I think red on black.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 15th February 2020 at 04:16 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 04:14 PM   #2942
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 80,079
Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
I wonder who he is addressing with tweets like this? I mean, the MAGA hat folks cheering at his ralllies will probably not understand it, so who else is he talking to?

Hans
Himself. Of course.
__________________
Trump Lied, People Died What color hat should I order with that logo? I think red on black.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 04:24 PM   #2943
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing
 
newyorkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 10,526
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
...Moreover, a high percentage of people who say they do not like Trump, or disapprove of Trump, are only saying those things because it's what people around them are saying. They're low-information voters not necessarily wedded to that view...
You can turn that around and speculate that a certain percentage of Trump supporters have become disillusioned with him but don't say that because the people around them are all pro-Trump.

The other night I read a Tweet by a woman who supports Trump 100%. Laurie somebody. There was a link to her Facebook page. This is a middle-aged white woman from the mid-West who seems to mostly repeat over and over that "Trump is making America great again and it is about time! And he is keeping America great, too."

But she doesn't say anything about how he's doing it/done it. In fact, my hunch is she probably couldn't explain how.

Her Facebook friends were exalting her because comments she's made on Twitter about how great Trump is, or how evil the Democrats are, had been retweeted twice by president Trump. One of them wrote, "President Trump loves Laurie as much as we do!" Only why do they love her? Because she is all in for Trump? I wondered if these people had ever met in person. Or if their relationship begins and ends on Twitter and Facebook.

Strange times.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 04:40 PM   #2944
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher
 
Safe-Keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 8,823
Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
You can turn that around and speculate that a certain percentage of Trump supporters have become disillusioned with him but don't say that because the people around them are all pro-Trump.
Just like any other cult. You've realised you've been duped, but leaving would lose you your loved ones and your network.
__________________
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"I cannot say is is suffering from a pathological narcissistic personality disorder, but I think it is clear he is doing a perfect impersonation of someone who is." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 05:19 PM   #2945
Cain
Straussian
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 13,514
Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
You can turn that around and speculate that a certain percentage of Trump supporters have become disillusioned with him but don't say that because the people around them are all pro-Trump.
I'd expect most Republicans in Congress to say they don't like or approve of the way Trump handles most things, but it's almost inconceivable they would vote for a Democrat. Before the 2016 election, many people expressed disgust with Trump's grab 'em comments about women, but they went ahead and voted for him anyway.

I also think there's a significant difference between people on Twitter -- for or against the president -- and someone who is fence-sitting. The fence-sitters' vague outlook is shaped by what their friends post on social media -- "gee, it sounds like Trump IS an idiot doing bad things" -- but they won't pay much attention until October. Issues matter less and less in an era of identity politics.

The Lauries of the world, if they become disillusioned at all, will not wake up until well into Trump's second term. The same sort of thing happened with Bush Jr (a president who even managed to secure the popular vote in his re-election). The people commenting about politics on social media are a different breed than regular voters.
__________________
April 13th, 2018:
Ranb: I can't think of anything useful you contributed to a thread in the last few years.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 07:39 PM   #2946
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher
 
Regnad Kcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,687
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Is Trump likening himself to a king?
The Berder King
__________________
My heros are Alex Zanardi and Evelyn Glennie.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 03:43 AM   #2947
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 24,193
Trump Retweeted

Senate Republicans @SenateGOP On the Senate Floor, Chairman @SenJohnBarrasso:

A Socialist is now the front-runner for the Democrat nomination for president.
Socialist policies would bankrupt our country.
What's their top priority?
A complete government takeover of health care in America.

REMINDER
In killing Soleimani, @realdonaldtrump eliminated a terrorist mastermind who had been responsible for more American military deaths than *anyone else* alive.
It was a calculated and limited response that undoubtedly made America—and the world—a safer place.

This February, we celebrate #BlackHistoryMonth to honor the successes, contributions, and advancements of African Americans throughout our nation’s history.
The United States has been, and will always be, immeasurably strengthened by the African American community.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 16th February 2020 at 03:44 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 03:46 AM   #2948
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 24,193
Trump Tweets

Thank you to @JackBrewerBSI for your kind words on the great progress we have made on our powerful African-American Agenda. For one, lowest unemployment numbers in USA history. Many other great records!
@foxandfriends @FoxNews

Years ago the Democrats had the money to build the Wall, but they didn’t have any idea how to get it done. I am building it bigger and better than ever thought possible!

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 16th February 2020 at 03:47 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 03:49 AM   #2949
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 24,193
Trump Retweeted

Team Trump (Text TRUMP to 88022)
@TeamTrump
Not one more life should be stolen by a Sanctuary City.
President @realDonaldTrump is calling on Congress to give American citizens the right to sue Sanctuary Cities for damages!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 03:50 AM   #2950
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 90,592
Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Horse.

****.

I'll immediately dismiss half of the "help" as not being motivated to help but being motivated to recruit. Helping the person isn't the goal, it's the means to a more self-serving end. Plus my time in that community showed me how much its about "look how helpful and godly I am!"

As to having more internal fundraising in place? Good, then they don't need public funds.

Let's release the funds to whoever is most successful and needs the most support. Oh look, by your own description that's the secular groups.

Less effective methods receiving more spontaneous resources to work with is not an argument to give even more resources to that less effective method. Plus it is entirely fair to say that while they might do some good work in a specific task, it is worth asking what negative consequences arise in other matters of "whole person care."



I'll grant you there's some qualitative differences in "pushing for it" and "quietly going along with it," but it wouldn't have happened without both. So pox on both their houses.
We found this in the UK, the RC "adoption agencies" said they would stop being adoption agencies if they had to treat same sex couples as the same as non same sex couples in regards to being suitable parents.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 03:57 AM   #2951
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for the pod bay door to open.
Posts: 42,105
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Is Trump likening himself to a king?

Kaiser Wilhelm comes to mind.
__________________
Continually pushing the boundaries of mediocrity.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
“Perception is real, but the truth is not.” - Imelda Marcos
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 03:59 AM   #2952
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning
 
a_unique_person's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for the pod bay door to open.
Posts: 42,105
One question for Trump, who is richer, him or Bloomberg?
__________________
Continually pushing the boundaries of mediocrity.
Everything is possible, but not everything is probable.
“Perception is real, but the truth is not.” - Imelda Marcos
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 04:14 AM   #2953
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nor Flanden
Posts: 31,908
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Himself. Of course.

He probably won’t understand it either.
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 08:53 AM   #2954
Bob001
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,958
One perspective on Trump's recent antics:
Quote:
Folks, let's not mince words: This is the kind of stuff we read about happening in dictatorships like Russia and North Korea and Iran. And yes, it's the kind of rule by strong-arm fiat that was practiced by Adolf Hitler in Nazi Germany.

Before this week, I would have thought it an exaggeration to compare Trump's frequent rallies to the infamous Nuremberg rallies Hitler held during the1930s. No longer. Trump's rallies are unnervingly close to those held in Nuremberg. The MAGA hat has become a kind of Trumpian Nazi helmet. The denunciations of hated minorities are the same. As is his insane bellowing before a crowd screaming its slavish obeisance.
https://www.salon.com/2020/02/15/can...ke-a-dictator/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 09:25 AM   #2955
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher
 
Safe-Keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 8,823
Quote:
The MAGA hat has become a kind of Trumpian Nazi helmet.
More like a swastika or Nazi salute, but yes, absolutely.
__________________
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"I cannot say is is suffering from a pathological narcissistic personality disorder, but I think it is clear he is doing a perfect impersonation of someone who is." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 10:40 AM   #2956
DetectedMotion
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 89
So is this where we really are? I've had fears about how far Trump will go with his power, but now I no longer doubt it now after watching this video





https://youtu.be/vR6T26uZQP8
DetectedMotion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 12:15 PM   #2957
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Coast, US
Posts: 6,067
Originally Posted by DetectedMotion View Post
So is this where we really are? I've had fears about how far Trump will go with his power, but now I no longer doubt it now after watching this video





https://youtu.be/vR6T26uZQP8
Pretty much. That is where we are. The institutions aren't broken, yet, but they're sure showing serious cracks - cracks that are going down to the foundations.
__________________
So sayeth the crazy little dragon.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 12:33 PM   #2958
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Great Northwet
Posts: 26,151
Originally Posted by DetectedMotion View Post
So is this where we really are? I've had fears about how far Trump will go with his power, but now I no longer doubt it now after watching this video





https://youtu.be/vR6T26uZQP8
Powerful and frightening stuff.
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 12:33 PM   #2959
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 24,193
Trump Tweets

Last week the Fake News said that a section of our powerful, under construction, Southern Border Wall “fell over”, trying to make it sound terrible, except the reason was that the concrete foundation was just poured & soaking wet when big winds kicked in. Quickly fixed “forever”.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 12:47 PM   #2960
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Coast, US
Posts: 6,067
A bit of an update from the WaPo.

Quote:
Senior Justice officials rejected the recommendations of career officials and decided to deny grants to highly rated Catholic Charities in Palm Beach, Fla., and Chicanos Por La Causa in Phoenix. Instead, Reuters reported, they gave more than $1 million combined to lower-rated groups called the Lincoln Tubman Foundation and Hookers for Jesus.

Why? Well, it turns out the head of the Catholic Charities affiliate had been active with Democrats, and the Phoenix group had opposed President Trump's immigration policies. By contrast, Hookers for Jesus run by a Christian conservative, and the Lincoln Tubman group launched by a relative of a Trump delegate to the 2016 convention." (1)
That sure looks like corruption in action to me.

In other news...

Tentatively, Trump plans to take a lap at the Daytona 500 in the presidential limo

I don't watch NASCAR (or pretty much any sport), myself, but... this just seems like it's... crass, arrogant, and disrespectful.
__________________
So sayeth the crazy little dragon.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:11 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.