ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 16th February 2020, 12:55 PM   #2961
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
One perspective on Trump's recent antics:

https://www.salon.com/2020/02/15/can...ke-a-dictator/
Depressing.
Old 16th February 2020, 01:03 PM   #2962
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
A bit of an update from the WaPo.

That sure looks like corruption in action to me.
That new information makes my arguments in the Hookers for Jesus thread no longer valid.

Quote:
In other news...

Tentatively, Trump plans to take a lap at the Daytona 500 in the presidential limo

I don't watch NASCAR (or pretty much any sport), myself, but... this just seems like it's... crass, arrogant, and disrespectful.
Sounds like one of those boasts that won't actually happen.

... Or the Nascar crowd really is in alt-right territory.
Old 16th February 2020, 01:04 PM   #2963
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

'Powerful' wall!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 01:25 PM   #2964
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Last week the Fake News said that a section of our powerful, under construction, Southern Border Wall “fell over”, trying to make it sound terrible, except the reason was that the concrete foundation was just poured & soaking wet when big winds kicked in. Quickly fixed “forever”.

So he's admitting that the section of fence was built incompetently. If the concrete was still "soaking wet", something else should have been supporting the fence.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 01:50 PM   #2965
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
'Powerful' wall!

Well, it took out a tree, without even trying.
Old 16th February 2020, 02:04 PM   #2966
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

So it was fake news that the wall fell over when all it really did was fall over. That makes perfect sense.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 02:58 PM   #2967
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

A bit of an update from the WaPo.

That sure looks like corruption in action to me.

In other news...

Tentatively, Trump plans to take a lap at the Daytona 500 in the presidential limo

I don't watch NASCAR (or pretty much any sport), myself, but... this just seems like it's... crass, arrogant, and disrespectful.
Bread and circuses...
Old 16th February 2020, 03:10 PM   #2968
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
That new information makes my arguments in the Hookers for Jesus thread no longer valid.
Not entirely. The arguments you made were largely focused on objections and points that neither the original article nor I made. Hookers for Jesus is a legitimate organization that does good work, by the information available, after all, even if there are distinct problems that can be pointed towards.
Old 16th February 2020, 03:32 PM   #2969
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I thought Jeff Sessions was a horrible choice as AG, but leave it to Trump to replace him with an even worse choice.

More than 1100 former DOJ employees have signed a petition calling for the resignation of AG Barr.

Quote:
More than 1,100 ex-employees of the Department of Justice signed a letter calling on Attorney General William Barr to resign Sunday, writing that his handling of the Roger Stone case "openly and repeatedly flouted" the principle of equal justice under the rule of law.
Quote:
"Although there are times when political leadership appropriately weighs in on individual prosecutions, it is unheard of for the Department’s top leaders to overrule line prosecutors, who are following established policies, in order to give preferential treatment to a close associate of the President, as Attorney General Barr did in the Stone case," the letter reads.
Quote:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...gn/4779721002/
The signatures of the former employees, who served under Democratic and Republican presidencies, were gathered by Protect Democracy, a bipartisan group that has been critical of the Trump administration.

The alumni called current DOJ employees to "report future abuses" and acknowledged that "because we have little expectation" Barr will resign, "it falls to the Department’s career officials to take appropriate action to uphold their oaths of office and defend nonpartisan, apolitical justice.”
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 03:52 PM   #2970
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Well the ******* did it.

President Donald Trump took a loop around the Daytona 500 racetrack on Sunday in the presidential limousine known as "The Beast," drawing cheers from fans at NASCAR'S most prestigious race.

Another campaign event courtesy of US taxpayers.
Old 16th February 2020, 04:09 PM   #2971
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

In other news...

Oh. Looks like I'm late with that.

‘Communist’ FOX network angers Trump fans at Daytona 500 by cutting to commercial as he begins speech

Quote:
The FOX broadcast network seemingly snubbed the president of the United States on Sunday when it cut to commercial while he was speaking.

Viewers complained on Twitter that FOX Sports cut away prior to President Donald Trump’s campaign-style speech at the Daytona 500, where he was named grand marshal.

FOX’s cameras were also criticized for cutting away from Trump’s lap at the Daytona 500 in his presidential limo. Instead, fans were treated to a commercial from Democratic presidential candidate Michael Bloomberg.
ETA: Looks like SG beat me to it.

In other news...

What a "coincidence!" Right after voting not to remove Trump, a number of Republican Senators got and bragged about $9 million, $9.5 million, and multiple $20 million grants.

Murkowski, Collins, Portman, Gardner...

Oh, and in wall news...

Quote:
Smugglers are now using camouflaged ladders to get over Trump's multi-billion-dollar wall.

How much do they cost? $5.

Last edited by Aridas; 16th February 2020 at 04:14 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 04:10 PM   #2972
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Well, where else are you going to find a larger gathering of rednecks?
Old 16th February 2020, 04:34 PM   #2973
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Murdoch sold most of Fox to Disney a year or two ago. The far right has hated Disney for a very long time.
Old 16th February 2020, 04:35 PM   #2974
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe it was Fox actually protecting Trump.

While I'm sure the rednecks at the race itself were happy to see Stubby McBonespurs, its possible that many casual viewers on TV would have thought Trump's appearance and the use of the Limo on the track to be tacky, and wanted to minimize the damage.

Another interesting point:
Apparently Trump didn't even wait around long enough for the start of the race. He was back to Air Force One before it even began.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/02/tru...ore-it-begins/

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 04:47 PM   #2975
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

He couldn't just send some tweets while he was waiting?
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 04:59 PM   #2976
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Apparently Trump didn't even wait around long enough for the start of the race. He was back to Air Force One before it even began.

After his lap, it wasn't about him any more.
Old 16th February 2020, 05:05 PM   #2977
Cabbage
Banned

Damn, did the car have 666 on it, too?
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 05:16 PM   #2978
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Maybe it was Fox actually protecting Trump.

While I'm sure the rednecks at the race itself were happy to see Stubby McBonespurs, its possible that many casual viewers on TV would have thought Trump's appearance and the use of the Limo on the track to be tacky, and wanted to minimize the damage.

Almost certainly since this was tacked on last minute, those pre-race commercial blocks were already planned out and the advertisers paid for them.

So they can blame their precious capitalism if they're mad about people who paid for air time being given that airtime rather that someone who didn't pay for it.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 05:45 PM   #2979
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

But but but he won the race! He was the first one to the finish line!!!
Old 16th February 2020, 05:53 PM   #2980
Steve
Philosopher

How much did that lap cost all you US taxpayers?
Old 16th February 2020, 05:57 PM   #2981
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
But but but he won the race! He was the first one to the finish line!!!
Um, 500 miles... you know, how the race got its name.

Except I see they shortened it to 450 miles (180 laps).

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 16th February 2020 at 05:58 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 06:38 PM   #2982
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump's campaign tweeted a picture of Air Force One at Daytona today...but had to take it down when it was discovered by a staff member that the pic was actually from 2004 when Bush attended the Daytona race.

Is there nothing these yahoos won't lie about?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 06:50 PM   #2983
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I mean it was silly but

A) He was already there so I don't get the "But wadda it cost" thing.
B) The race was delayed so it's not like it effected anything.

It was no worse then throwing out the first pitch at a ball game or doing the coin toss at football game or whatever.
Old 16th February 2020, 06:55 PM   #2984
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I mean it was silly but

B) The race was delayed so it's not like it effected anything.

It was no worse then throwing out the first pitch at a ball game or doing the coin toss at football game or whatever.
Same as the Obamas’ Valentine’s Day cost beat up. This only serves to create noise that obscures the serious issues.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 06:56 PM   #2985
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Trump's campaign tweeted a picture of Air Force One at Daytona today...but had to take it down when it was discovered by a staff member that the pic was actually from 2004 when Bush attended the Daytona race.

Is there nothing these yahoos won't lie about?
Anyone know anything more about this story? I believe Trump's plane did make a flyby over Datona. Could they just have selected the wrong pic? Or did Air Force One never get that low today?

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 07:02 PM   #2986
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

There's plenty of both professional and amateur pictures and video of Air Force One during the event today.

It's hard to tell from the angles I've seen but it didn't seem to get as low as the picture released and then retracted earlier today.

Or it could have been an honest mistake.
Old 16th February 2020, 07:11 PM   #2987
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

I mean it was silly but

Was he already in Datona on other business and just stayed for the race? Or did he fly in specifically for the even?

Of course, even if he was already there, there still would have been extra costs associated with him doing his little 'joyride'.
Quote:
I think the differences here are:
- Using the limo on the track looks extremely tacky. Throwing out the first pitch? Not so much
- Trump was able to give a speech. Granted it looks like it wasn't as politicized as other events, but it still is beneficial for his image. Throwing out the first pitch on the other hand is an event which gives more publicity to the game than the politician.
Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Same as the Obamas’ Valentine’s Day cost beat up. This only serves to create noise that obscures the serious issues.
Trump was impeached, and his approval rating barely budged. He nominated Drunky McRapeface for the supreme court, and his supporters cheered. Going after the big issues doesn't seem to have much of an effect. Maybe nit-picking some of the little things might have an effect.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 16th February 2020, 07:31 PM   #2988
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Anyone know anything more about this story? I believe Trump's plane did make a flyby over Datona. Could they just have selected the wrong pic? Or did Air Force One never get that low today?
There's plenty of both professional and amateur pictures and video of Air Force One during the event today.

It's hard to tell from the angles I've seen but it didn't seem to get as low as the picture released and then retracted earlier today.

Or it could have been an honest mistake.
Here's a link to the story including the campaign tweet:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/16/polit...oto/index.html
Old 16th February 2020, 07:32 PM   #2989
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Stupid question, but how much did that stunt cost Daytona?
The Beast weighs 22,000 lb, not counting Trump's ass, which is a tad more than the 3200lb of a Generation 6 racecar.
This trip did damage to the Track.
Old 16th February 2020, 07:39 PM   #2990
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I guess it was far more important to take a lap around the Daytona track than go to Mississippi where they're having catastrophic flooding.
Old 16th February 2020, 07:44 PM   #2991
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Stupid question, but how much did that stunt cost Daytona?
The Beast weighs 22,000 lb, not counting Trump's ass, which is a tad more than the 3200lb of a Generation 6 racecar.
This trip did damage to the Track.
I am assuming that the owners of the track would have been aware of just how much weight the track could handle and would have objected if they thought it could cause damage (especially before the race itself, where any damage would have affected the results).

As heavy as the presidential limo is, I suspect the track probably gets driven on by various types of machinery that weigh more than the limo does. (e.g transport trucks, emergency vehicles, etc.)

We are Groot - Groot
Old 16th February 2020, 07:57 PM   #2992
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

As heavy as the presidential limo is, I suspect the track probably gets driven on by various types of machinery that weigh more than the limo does. (e.g transport trucks, emergency vehicles, etc.)
I don't think so: the track needs to be very smooth, so nothing particularly heavy would be allowed on it. And the Beast is much heavier than an ambulance.

At the very least, the track will have to be fixed earlier than usual.

unless we have some expert her to tell me otherwise?
Old 16th February 2020, 08:03 PM   #2993
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Okay people we're stretching here.

I get it, it's Trump and he's already gotten away with so much the books can never be balanced.

But he had his car drive around a race track a couple of times. It's a race track, it's a road surface. They race goddamn Semi Trucks at Bristol. I'm sure Daytona can handle Cadillac One.

Save your outrage for the next actual thing he does. I can't imagine you'll have to wait long.
Old 16th February 2020, 08:06 PM   #2994
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Trump was impeached, and his approval rating barely budged. He nominated Drunky McRapeface for the supreme court, and his supporters cheered. Going after the big issues doesn't seem to have much of an effect. Maybe nit-picking some of the little things might have an effect.
It’s not like this is the first time nit picking has been engaged. Got evidence of that working?
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2020, 08:08 PM   #2995
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

a racetrack or runway isn't the same as a road - the tolerance is much smaller, because the speeds are higher.

All I'm saying is that even the Spectators should be livid that Trump is ruining their sport for personal aggrandizement without any understanding of what they like.
Old 16th February 2020, 08:12 PM   #2996
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

All I'm saying is that even the Spectators should be livid that Trump is ruining their sport for personal aggrandizement without any understanding of what they like.
We were already informed earlier in the thread that all NASCAR fans are rednecks and already for Trump.
Old 16th February 2020, 08:14 PM   #2997
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

You can be a Redneck and a Nascar Geek at the same time.
Old 16th February 2020, 08:18 PM   #2998
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
I don't think so: the track needs to be very smooth
I'm not denying that the track has to be very smooth. I'm just suggesting that the track is capable of handling a significant amount of weight before it gets damaged.

Its a road. A very well maintained road, but its still a road. The presidential Limo drives on regular streets regularly, so you figure that a NASCAR track would be constructed with at least as much tolerance.
Quote:
so nothing particularly heavy would be allowed on it. And the Beast is much heavier than an ambulance.
Actually by 'emergency vehicle' I was thinking of fire trucks which (from some googling) can weigh ~35000 pounds, a lot more than the presidential limo. And, fire trucks are regularly run on the track.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/science...ts/fire-engine

https://www.piercemfg.com/pierce/blo...y-fire-brigade

ETA: You also have tow trucks, which by themselves can weigh almost as much as the limo by itself; add in the weight of a car being towed and it can easily exceed the weight of the Limo.

We are Groot - Groot

Last edited by Segnosaur; 16th February 2020 at 08:33 PM.
Old 16th February 2020, 08:19 PM   #2999
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

We were already informed earlier in the thread that all NASCAR fans are rednecks and already for Trump.
I'll bet that the majority of NASCAR fans are Trump supporters. There's no way I, or anyone, can prove that, but...

Quote:
President Trump was greeted with loud cheers and applause from NASCAR fans shortly after he and first lady Melania Trump arrived at the Daytona 500 in Florida on Sunday.

Footage captured from the moment shows the president and first lady exiting “The Beast,” his presidential state car, to chants of “Four More Years” and USA” from the audience on the race car track.
https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-kno...scar-fans-upon

Thank god I married a Formula One fan.
Old 16th February 2020, 09:02 PM   #3000
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Depressing.
What's most depressing is that Trump is stupid, ignorant, crude, mean, corrupt, dishonest, disordered and concerned only about himself. And yet he has the support of 40+% of Americans. Imagine what somebody smarter, smoother, slicker and more charismatic could do to promote an equally poisonous agenda, or worse.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics