ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 31st January 2020, 02:30 PM   #721
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Who said that I rejected either of these two gods? (Give me the post number).

I could have sworn I saw such a post.

Then again who can say for sure what you are on about. Lack of comprehension is the problem to be sure. Of course it's our own fault - all of us who don't have the where with all to understand you lucid posts.
Old 31st January 2020, 03:10 PM   #722
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ynot View Post
I'm not confused, I think you are wrong.

Not being able to prove a thing is impossible doesn't mean it's possible.
Not being able to prove a thing is possible doesn't mean it's impossible.
Not being able to prove a thing is possible or impossible means you don't know.

Not being able to prove a jar contains an odd number of jellybeans, because you don't and will never have an opportunity to count them, isn't proof it contains an even number (and vice versa). If the jar in fact contains an odd number then it's impossible it contains an even number. Knowledge confirms the fact, it doesn't create it.

Amen.
Old 31st January 2020, 08:59 PM   #723
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
I could have sworn I saw such a post.
So, no post number then.

Then again who can say for sure what you are on about.
Anybody who actually reads my posts.

There was a post where I pointed out that listing different gods (Jehovah, Buddha, Allah etc) doesn't increase the probability that there is a god. If that is the post you are referring to then you are definitely not reading my posts.
Old 1st February 2020, 03:23 AM   #724
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Who said that I rejected either of these two gods? (Give me the post number).
Those gods have different characteristics to your pgod.

Which god do you not reject?
Old 1st February 2020, 03:44 AM   #725
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Those gods have different characteristics to your pgod.
What characteristics? What "pgod"?

(That should keep you away from this thread for a couple of days).
Old 1st February 2020, 04:12 AM   #726
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I suspect it may be nothing more substantive than the "There must be something" god.
His pgod if I recall only had two characteristics, it created the entire universe and is undectable , the gods of the Abrahamic and Hindu religions even the ones that claim to create everything are all detectable and also have many additional characteristics that if you ignore you are of course redefining those religions gods.
Old 1st February 2020, 04:17 AM   #727
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

What characteristics? What "pgod"?

(That should keep you away from this thread for a couple of days).
Which god do you not reject?
Old 1st February 2020, 07:14 AM   #728
Rincewind
Philosopher

To answer the OP...

When people go on and on and on and on etc... maybe?
Old 1st February 2020, 07:46 AM   #729
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

What? Do you think that we can have a sensible discussion about this with the equivalent of flat earthers? Let's try:

GR predicts that the universe originates as a singularity. However, GR doesn't apply to dimensions that are subatomic - let alone of the order of a singularity. That is one of the reasons for a search for a unifying theory.

String theory is one such theory. However, in order for the mathematics to work, we require more than 4 space time dimensions (as many as 26 for bosonic string theory).

We don't yet know how to test for the existence of these dimensions but we "know" that none of them contain any intelligence (other than the 3 spatial dimensions we already know). Right?
A common pop-sci misinterpretation of what the extra dimensions of string theory actually mean.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2020, 12:34 PM   #730
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
To answer the OP...

When people go on and on and on and on etc... maybe?
Well psion10’s god, that’s all gods and no gods, that’s been clearly explained with no explanation, that’s everything except everything everyone else thinks it might be, is a Neverending Story serial soap opera filled with such “Don’t miss the next exciting episode” mystery and intrigue that the captivated audience are compulsive participants (can’t wait to see the movie and get the tee shirt).

So not so much silly as entertaining, and an example of how irrational god beliefs are and how dishonesty they can be presented by not being honestly presented.

Last edited by ynot; 1st February 2020 at 12:52 PM.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2020, 12:39 PM   #731
ynot
Philosopher

Ooooops - Mistake

Last edited by ynot; 1st February 2020 at 12:41 PM.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2020, 12:47 PM   #732
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
A common pop-sci misinterpretation of what the extra dimensions of string theory actually mean.
I have knot been strung along by string theory

Last edited by ynot; 1st February 2020 at 01:00 PM.
Old 1st February 2020, 01:57 PM   #733
Thor 2
Philosopher

So, no post number then.

Anybody who actually reads my posts.

There was a post where I pointed out that listing different gods (Jehovah, Buddha, Allah etc) doesn't increase the probability that there is a god. If that is the post you are referring to then you are definitely not reading my posts.

I looked and looked back several pages to no avail. Perhaps you deleted it but there is also the possibility I misconstrued what you were saying, as I struggled to comprehend your writings with my limited ability.

Oh ...... Jehovah and Allah are arguably the same god - just different names.

Buddha was never considered a god. Did some cool things like levitating and stuff but never claimed to be a god.
Old 1st February 2020, 06:55 PM   #734
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

His pgod if I recall only had two characteristics, it created the entire universe and is undectable , the gods of the Abrahamic and Hindu religions even the ones that claim to create everything are all detectable and also have many additional characteristics that if you ignore you are of course redefining those religions gods.
And the straw piles on.

Arthwollipot doesn't agree with a word that I post but at least he disagrees with what I actually post.

You might want to look at our exchange (it isn't far back) if your sole interest is not in discrediting me by any means possible (honest or dishonest).
Old 2nd February 2020, 12:27 AM   #735
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I said nothing about the extra dimensions of string theory other than that you have to assume they exist in order for the mathematics to work.

Another case where I can't be refuted unless you put the words in my mouth that you want to refute.
Old 2nd February 2020, 07:37 AM   #736
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I said nothing about the extra dimensions of string theory other than that you have to assume they exist in order for the mathematics to work.
Wow. You even got that back to front.

Another case where I can't be refuted unless you put the words in my mouth that you want to refute.
I have no need. You are doing a fine job demonstrating your own ignorance.

abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2020, 07:56 AM   #737
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

And the straw piles on.

Arthwollipot doesn't agree with a word that I post but at least he disagrees with what I actually post.

You might want to look at our exchange (it isn't far back) if your sole interest is not in discrediting me by any means possible (honest or dishonest).
I have no interest in discrediting you, this is called a discussion, if you wish to correct a post I have made you can very simply do so.
Old 2nd February 2020, 08:52 AM   #738
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Wow. You even got that back to front.
Anybody can say, "you're stupid". Why not enlighten us instead?

Last edited by psionl0; 2nd February 2020 at 09:02 AM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2020, 08:54 AM   #739
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I said nothing about..
And the straw piles on..
You know if I spent 90% of my life telling people what I'm not saying, eventually I'd learn to clarify what I am saying.

But that's not your game is it? If you actually make a clear point someone might be able to actually explain to you why you are wrong and... well we can't have that can we?

I don't think you know what your actual argument is beyond "I don't like atheists and want to better then them."

Please, I beg you to make my point better then I ever could, just call my argument "straw" or say "I'm not saying that" for the 50th billionth time.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 2nd February 2020 at 08:56 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2020, 09:02 AM   #740
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
But that's not your game is it?
I'm not the one playing games but you are. When you are not shooting into 100 different tangents at once you are twisting what I post so that you can discredit it.

The alternative would be to concede that there are no answers and that doesn't fit with your "there are no gods" creed.
Old 2nd February 2020, 09:04 AM   #741
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm not the one playing games but you are. When you are not shooting into 100 different tangents at once you are twisting what I post so that you can discredit it.

The alternative would be to concede that there are no answers and that doesn't fit with your "there are no gods" creed.
That doesn't sound anything like clarifying what your actual argument is.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2020, 10:30 AM   #742
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

And the straw piles on.

The one who is making a case with straw is you. You don't even attempt to make your beliefs and claims clear.

Is it because you know they are impossible to prove and you don't have any good reason to believe in them?

This would not be any different than any other God believer.
Old 2nd February 2020, 10:53 AM   #743
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
The one who is making a case with straw is you. You don't even attempt to make your beliefs and claims clear.

Is it because you know they are impossible to prove and you don't have any good reason to believe in them?

This would not be any different than any other God believer.
No it's you.

You can't rebut "we don't have any answers" so you change it to "a belief in a specific god". That way, you can interpret my actual position as being "evasive".
Old 2nd February 2020, 10:55 AM   #744
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

No it's you.

You can't rebut "we don't have any answers" so you change it to "a belief in a specific god". That way, you can interpret my actual position as being "evasive".
*Looks carefully* I still don't see where you are clarifying what your actual point, problem, opinion, argument, or stance is.
Old 2nd February 2020, 11:28 AM   #745
ynot
Philosopher

Please remind me/us (for clarity). What's the question "there are no answers" to, and "we don't have any answers" to?

Last edited by ynot; 2nd February 2020 at 12:03 PM.
Old 2nd February 2020, 11:53 AM   #746
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Anybody can say, "you're stupid". Why not enlighten us instead?
Because...

A) I did not call you stupid.

B) This forum does not support typing out the math.

C) You could read a book or two and learn.

For example, you claimed that one must assume that other dimensions exist a priori for string theory to work. That is false.

Old 2nd February 2020, 11:56 AM   #747
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

What is the atheist "creed", in your opinion?

Because to date, I have only seen theists make such a bovine argument.

Old 2nd February 2020, 12:54 PM   #748
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

What is the atheist "creed", in your opinion?
I'm sure we'll get an answer to as to what he thinks our opinion is right after we get a simple answer on what his opinion is.

This type of apolgetics isn't an opinion, it's a persona. In his head atheist who just say "There is no God" without groveling and apologies and hiding it behind "But I could be wrong" are unacceptable.

That's why he can't give us an answer, because he doesn't have one.

It's not a matter if there is or isn't a God or some meaningless "Stop, I demand you define exactly how you've proven something isn't so" it's the idea that saying "There is no God" is somehow some horrible, unreasonable assault on the rights of people to think there is a God or some other act of intellectual hubris.

The fact that people say all manner of definitive statements without issue continues to be lost on them.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 2nd February 2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 2nd February 2020, 01:13 PM   #749
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I'm sure we'll get an answer to as to what he thinks our opinion is right after we get a simple answer on what his opinion is.

This type of apolgetics isn't an opinion, it's a persona. In his head atheist who just say "There is no God" without groveling and apologies and hiding it behind "But I could be wrong" are unacceptable.

That's why he can't give us an answer, because he doesn't have one.

It's not a matter if there is or isn't a God or some meaningless "Stop, I demand you define exactly how you've proven something isn't so" it's the idea that saying "There is no God" is somehow some horrible, unreasonable assault on the rights of people to think there is a God or some other act of intellectual hubris.

The fact that people say all manner of definitive statements without issue continues to be lost on them.
Interesting, is it not? Psionl0 is adopting the archetypical theist position on atheism. Indeed, just a mere step away from Pascal's wager. All the while denying his/her own theism. It goes beyond pretzel logic into flat out Escher.

For myself, as an atheist, I believe in no gods. If evidence rocks up for whichever deity, I would accept the existence of said deity. So far, there is no evidence for any of the thousands of claimed deities.

Thus, for me, it is rather simple. I accept that on the far side of possibility, some deity might possibly exist if one squints enough. Not going to accept it absent any evidence of any sort.

One might as well propose invisible garage dragons. The result is the very same.

Old 2nd February 2020, 03:53 PM   #750
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

*Looks carefully* I still don't see where you are clarifying what your actual point, problem, opinion, argument, or stance is.
That's seems impossible for Psion. Everyone keeps asking for clarification and he just plays games. Normally, most people want the people they converse with to understand them. Clearly, Psion is an exception.

Me, I'm not a big fan of being jerked off. I can do that myself.
Old 2nd February 2020, 07:33 PM   #751
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

If you want to believe “it is true that a seven legged, three winged fire breathing, five headed, invisible, magical dragon is logically possible”, then moving on is a good idea.
Okay.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2020, 09:07 PM   #752
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Well obviously that's because you and I have a different opinion about whether it was. Can we move on now?
If you want to believe “it is true that a seven legged, three winged fire breathing, five headed, invisible, magical dragon is logically possible”, then moving on is a good idea.
Okay.

I think we have plumbed the absolute depths of silliness now. No way but up from here.
Old 2nd February 2020, 09:27 PM   #753
ynot
Philosopher

I think we have plumbed the absolute depths of silliness now. No way but up from here.
Who or what are you calling silly?
Old 2nd February 2020, 09:43 PM   #754
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Sometimes you have to stop arguing and just let someone be wrong.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 03:20 AM   #755
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I've looked back and pgod was described as creating everything and being undetectable.

This is one of the posts that he brings up his personal take on a god.

"So a God that creates the universe, works miracles and (presumably) nobody sees is not like any god ever described?"
Old 3rd February 2020, 04:17 AM   #756
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I've looked back and pgod was described as creating everything and being undetectable.

This is one of the posts that he brings up his personal take on a god.

"So a God that creates the universe, works miracles and (presumably) nobody sees is not like any god ever described?"
That is the Abrahamic God that I have already discussed with Arthwollipot.
Old 3rd February 2020, 04:36 AM   #757
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

No it is not. The Abrahamic gods, or rather the smaller subset of Abrahamic gods you appear to be familiar with are seen, heard, felt and interact in visible ways throughout the history of those religions. A god that remains unseen is not a god that the Abrahamic religions have as their gods.
Old 3rd February 2020, 05:29 AM   #758
Belz...
Fiend God

Dude, even the crickets are dead at this point.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 07:05 AM   #759
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Sometimes you have to stop arguing and just let someone be wrong.
Yeah we do that and then a few years later "Wait how did this reality denying manchild who no possible facts or arguments can stop wind up in the White House? Who could have seen this coming?"

//And no I'm not 100% joking//
Old 3rd February 2020, 07:27 AM   #760
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Well, no, not really. The crank deity you propose created everything and promptly vanished without trace. That is not remotely close to any version of the "Abrahamic God".

I have no idea why you think it might be.

As far as I can see, you are proposing some ethereal deity that lives in the disproven aether on the basis that nobody can prove you wrong.

I could be mistaken, of course, but that is how you presented yourself and your notion while carefully maintaining a modicum of plausible deniability.

So let us cut to the chase. Do you accept the existence of a deity? No question about whatever attributes he/she/it/housecat may or may not have. Just the simple existence of such an entity.

Do you think you can honestly answer that? Please do try.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy