ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , Michael Bloomberg , presidential candidates

Old 13th February 2020, 06:48 AM   #161
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I guess you prefer to let Politicians spend your money to get themselves elected?
Well yes, since they wouldn't have it unless I gave it to them of my own free will.
Old 13th February 2020, 06:54 AM   #162
3point14
Pi

I guess you prefer to let Politicians spend your money to get themselves elected?
Policial parties, rather than politicians, is the usual way that's proposed. I take it that sort of proposal isn't one you have much truck with?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 06:56 AM   #163
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

BTW, just to make to clear, I don't particularly like either of these things, I don't think that politicians should be taking money from their supporters or paying for their campaigns themselves, though I have to admit, I'd rather see politicians putting up their own money to run than fleecing their supporters, especially when a lot of people can't afford to be giving their money to fund that campaigns of people who are already at least millionaires.

Here Parties get given an amount of money based on their current seats in Parliament, and a few other criteria, that goes towards media advertising, and they aren't allowed to spend more than that on buying their advertising time. Donations to the Party can be given, and used for things such as making the ads, transport and so on, but cannot be spent on buying more advertising time. I believe there is an overall cap on spending, and there is also a quite low cap on how much non-party people and organisations can spend in advertising in an election year.

I don't totally agree with our system either as it means that the biggest parties tend to get the most advertising time, and I'd like to see it made a little fairer, but I do prefer it to having the mega-rich running their campaigns on the backs of the poor that they convince to support them all while not spending any of their own fortunes.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 13th February 2020 at 06:59 AM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 07:36 AM   #164
ahhell
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
How?
Read my previous posts on the matter.
I thinks it slim chance but it would still be more likely to be productive on that score than running in the Dem primaries. The only reason I responded to the Lol's post with an unsupported assertion is that his response to my previous explanations as to why I think it might was just an unsupported assertion that it wouldn't.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 07:59 AM   #165
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

BTW, just to make to clear, I don't particularly like either of these things, I don't think that politicians should be taking money from their supporters or paying for their campaigns themselves, though I have to admit, I'd rather see politicians putting up their own money to run than fleecing their supporters, especially when a lot of people can't afford to be giving their money to fund that campaigns of people who are already at least millionaires.

Here Parties get given an amount of money based on their current seats in Parliament, and a few other criteria, that goes towards media advertising, and they aren't allowed to spend more than that on buying their advertising time. Donations to the Party can be given, and used for things such as making the ads, transport and so on, but cannot be spent on buying more advertising time. I believe there is an overall cap on spending, and there is also a quite low cap on how much non-party people and organisations can spend in advertising in an election year.

I don't totally agree with our system either as it means that the biggest parties tend to get the most advertising time, and I'd like to see it made a little fairer, but I do prefer it to having the mega-rich running their campaigns on the backs of the poor that they convince to support them all while not spending any of their own fortunes.
You don't see an issue with limiting the field to candidates who are ultra-wealthy enough to plow hundreds of millions of dollars into a political campaign?

Millionaires can't do what Bloomberg is doing. The amount of wealth required to self-finance a campaign makes this a multi-billionaire endeavor.

I don't know how you describe this as anything but plutocracy. The party should not even entertain this idea. It's blatantly a dead end.
Old 13th February 2020, 08:05 AM   #166
carlitos
"más divertido"

In addition to influencers, the Bloomberg campaign is now dropping memes. Content thieves / "creative" agency ****Jerry is working for them. (agency name can't be posted here - rhymes with "Stuck Jerry")

Dank Bloomberg memes today. I like the Sanders photo one a lot.

Next up - a Bloomberg-themed music festival on a private island with cheese sandwiches.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 08:08 AM   #167
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Read my previous posts on the matter.
I thinks it slim chance but it would still be more likely to be productive on that score than running in the Dem primaries. The only reason I responded to the Lol's post with an unsupported assertion is that his response to my previous explanations as to why I think it might was just an unsupported assertion that it wouldn't.
Your previous post doesn't illuminate, I'm afraid. Be productive how?

I gather you think it's possible that if Bloomberg ran in the GOP primaries, it would somehow cost Trump votes in the general election. I'm asking, what's the somehow you envision?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 08:16 AM   #168
carlitos
"más divertido"

GOP re-election candidates have definitely been weakened by challenges from the right, but not (that I'm aware of) from the left. See Pat Buchanan vs. George HW Bush and Ronald Reagan vs. Gerald Ford. Neither won the general after a primary fight.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 08:22 AM   #169
ahhell
Illuminator

Your previous post doesn't illuminate, I'm afraid. Be productive how?

I gather you think it's possible that if Bloomberg ran in the GOP primaries, it would somehow cost Trump votes in the general election. I'm asking, what's the somehow you envision?
Posts, plural, wtf in case it was in another thread.

There is a history of sitting presidents that were challenged in their own party's primaries going on to defeat in the general; Ford, Carter, Bush.

Now, it can be argued that they were challenged because they were weak, but still there is that history.
Bloomberg is very unlikely to actually have an impact in the Dem primary. I could be wrong but I doubt it. He's spending most of his money in CA.
So, he's unlikely to have much impact in Dem primary, unless he weakens the eventual candidate, he might have an impact in the GOP primary. Perhaps, convincing a few reps not to vote in the election by making Trump look weak or just make clear what a ****** republican he actually is.

So, short version, I think the only impact Bloomberg will actually have is to weaken the eventual candidate of the party he's running in by making them look bad or weak as a candidate. I'd rather that be the GOP. As I have said elsewhere, I think the differences are all marginal but on the chance he will have an impact, I'd prefer he were running as a Rep right now.

So, why should he run as Dem?

Last edited by ahhell; 13th February 2020 at 08:37 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 08:44 AM   #170
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
You don't see an issue with limiting the field to candidates who are ultra-wealthy enough to plow hundreds of millions of dollars into a political campaign?

Millionaires can't do what Bloomberg is doing. The amount of wealth required to self-finance a campaign makes this a multi-billionaire endeavor.

I don't know how you describe this as anything but plutocracy. The party should not even entertain this idea. It's blatantly a dead end.
I think you need to reread my post and see what I actually said.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 10:09 AM   #171
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
I’m not sure why anyone is suggesting he should have run as a Republican. “Stop and frisk” aside, on the current US political spectrum he’s a mainstream Democrat not a Republican.
I'm not sure of many mainstream democrats who have spent $11.7M to make sure that an incumbent Republican Senator gets reelected, insuring that Mitch McConnell has a strong majority in the Senate.

If you like what Mitch is doing in the Senate, you can thank Bloomberg for helping him out.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 10:17 AM   #172
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
GOP re-election candidates have definitely been weakened by challenges from the right, but not (that I'm aware of) from the left. See Pat Buchanan vs. George HW Bush and Ronald Reagan vs. Gerald Ford. Neither won the general after a primary fight.
Yep, give those who are in the GOP but embarrassed by Trump some voice, a candidate to rally around. Bloomberg would be perfect for that.

And once Trump started calling them all names they would be unlikely to show up for Trump in the general. But, if they just feel alone in their shame, they may still feel compelled by party loyalty to show up on general election day and pull the lever for the GOP, even reluctantly.

Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 10:42 AM   #173
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I'm not sure of many mainstream democrats who have spent $11.7M to make sure that an incumbent Republican Senator gets reelected, insuring that Mitch McConnell has a strong majority in the Senate.

If you like what Mitch is doing in the Senate, you can thank Bloomberg for helping him out.
Isn't it equally (or even more) true that we can thank him for helping Pelosi out?
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 10:44 AM   #174
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Posts, plural, wtf in case it was in another thread.

There is a history of sitting presidents that were challenged in their own party's primaries going on to defeat in the general; Ford, Carter, Bush.

Now, it can be argued that they were challenged because they were weak, but still there is that history.
Bloomberg is very unlikely to actually have an impact in the Dem primary. I could be wrong but I doubt it. He's spending most of his money in CA.
So, he's unlikely to have much impact in Dem primary, unless he weakens the eventual candidate, he might have an impact in the GOP primary. Perhaps, convincing a few reps not to vote in the election by making Trump look weak or just make clear what a ****** republican he actually is.

So, short version, I think the only impact Bloomberg will actually have is to weaken the eventual candidate of the party he's running in by making them look bad or weak as a candidate. I'd rather that be the GOP. As I have said elsewhere, I think the differences are all marginal but on the chance he will have an impact, I'd prefer he were running as a Rep right now.

So, why should he run as Dem?
I'm not sure he should run as a Dem.

The way I see it, a primary fight can sap a frontrunner's momentum, and discourage voters from turning out in the general. That's the situation the Democrats are in right now - a multi-way primary fight.

By contributing to this conflict, especially by having enough money to keep contributing to the bitter end (instead of dropping out early), Bloomberg can do a lot of damage to the Dems.

I'm not sure he could contribute to the same kind of conflict, if he ran as a Republican. Probably the only reason for him to run as a Republican would be that it means one less spoiler in the Democratic contest.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 10:58 AM   #175
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I will remain deeply skeptical of a Bloomberg nomination until I get my cut of the campaign money.
Old 13th February 2020, 11:06 AM   #176
ahhell
Illuminator

I'm not sure he could contribute to the same kind of conflict, if he ran as a Republican. Probably the only reason for him to run as a Republican would be that it means one less spoiler in the Democratic contest.
This is basically what I'm saying. There's no upside for what ever party he runs in, so if he doesn't want Trump to win, he should run in the GOP race. He may not actually hurt Trump, but there's a chance.
Old 13th February 2020, 11:24 AM   #177
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

For all this talk about "Bernie or Bust" folks and "vote blue no matter who", Bloomberg is the one candidate I see with the most potential for fracturing the party and handing Trump another win.

It's no secret that the most strident Bernie supporters don't have warm feelings for centrists like Pete or Klobuchar, but that doesn't even compare to the utter contempt that the left wing of the party has for Bloomberg, the plutocrat candidate. Bernie is popular because he refuses to take big money donations and relies on the support of the common people. Bloomberg is the polar opposite, a billionaire using his own wealth to buy his way into the race. Bloomberg, more so than any other candidate, is a repudiation of the left wing's core values.

For all the panic mongering about disloyal Bernie supporters not voting blue, I see Bloomberg as the most likely candidate to actually make it come true. Replacing a kleptocrat multi-millionaire with a plutocratic billionaire may not be sufficient motivation for left-wingers to turn out in high numbers.
Hopefully the Bernie Bros that are that stupid are a tiny fringe.

If Bloomberg wins the nomination, his campaign so far, is the one that has the best chance of winning against Trump. Not just the fact he can throw a billion dollars down, but he knows what he's doing, something you can't say for most Democratic candidates. I wish Steyer had the political smarts Bloomberg has. If he did, we'd have a Progressive candidate that would almost certainly win against Trump.

Bloomberg's ads are effective. That's why he has shot up in the polls without eating hotdogs in Iowa.

Trump cannot intimidate Bloomberg. Bloomberg, OTOH, can make and is making Trump look like the jerk that he is.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 13th February 2020 at 11:30 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 11:42 AM   #178
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I do hope Bloomberg has a plan to placate the Bernie Bros.

Maybe a Warren VP plus a commitment to stay a one-term President?
Old 13th February 2020, 11:42 AM   #179
carlitos
"más divertido"

I don't know whether it's a feature or a bug, but the fake fake Bloomberg memes and the real fake Bloomberg memes are hard to distinguish.

Old 13th February 2020, 11:43 AM   #180
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It's so ironic that Trump went to such stupidity to neutralize Biden when really, all he had to do was publicize a couple of Hunter's jobs to make Biden look bad. Probably Trump's obsession with proving the Russian interference didn't happen (because Trump is obsessed with pretending he won the election without the Russians) led him to take such a stupid action.

Trump acting on his conspiracy theories is dangerous. In this case it was dangerous to him instead of to anyone else. Maybe if he wasn't bent on proving the nonsense that it was Ukraine that interfered and they did so to help Clinton, not him, someone could have convinced Trump he didn't need his 'perfect' call and what went with it. But it appears Trump was manipulated by Putin to pursue the Ukraine CT.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 13th February 2020 at 11:46 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 12:12 PM   #181
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Hopefully the Bernie Bros that are that stupid are a tiny fringe.

If Bloomberg wins the nomination, his campaign so far, is the one that has the best chance of winning against Trump. Not just the fact he can throw a billion dollars down, but he knows what he's doing, something you can't say for most Democratic candidates. I wish Steyer had the political smarts Bloomberg has. If he did, we'd have a Progressive candidate that would almost certainly win against Trump.

Bloomberg's ads are effective. That's why he has shot up in the polls without eating hotdogs in Iowa.

Trump cannot intimidate Bloomberg. Bloomberg, OTOH, can make and is making Trump look like the jerk that he is.
I suspect that Bloomberg is a paper tiger. Polling is one thing, actual voters are another. It's practically a guarantee that he is going to get hammered for all his Republican policies in the next debate.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 13th February 2020 at 01:02 PM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 01:00 PM   #182
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Isn't it equally (or even more) true that we can thank him for helping Pelosi out?
I'm open to that argument.

Old 13th February 2020, 01:08 PM   #183
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post

Maybe a Warren VP plus a commitment to stay a one-term President?
Sarno: So are you the brains of the op, or is he?

Longbaugh: To tell you the truth I don't think this is a brains kind of operation.
Old 13th February 2020, 01:35 PM   #184
ahhell
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It's so ironic that Trump went to such stupidity to neutralize Biden when really, all he had to do was publicize a couple of Hunter's jobs to make Biden look bad. Probably Trump's obsession with proving the Russian interference didn't happen (because Trump is obsessed with pretending he won the election without the Russians) led him to take such a stupid action.

Trump acting on his conspiracy theories is dangerous. In this case it was dangerous to him instead of to anyone else. Maybe if he wasn't bent on proving the nonsense that it was Ukraine that interfered and they did so to help Clinton, not him, someone could have convinced Trump he didn't need his 'perfect' call and what went with it. But it appears Trump was manipulated by Putin to pursue the Ukraine CT.
Basically Trump in a nut shell. Its like the Comey thing. If he had fired Comey on day one, nobody would have cared, some Dems would even have applauded. Instead, Trump waits long enough for it to really suspicious as to why he fired Comey, then does an interview where in he basically said, I fired comey because he wouldn't stop the Russia investigation. WTF?
Old 14th February 2020, 02:58 AM   #185
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Seems that Bloomberg is getting under Trump's skin already. The Twitter war has begun....

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/trump-...ts-on-twitter/

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 14th February 2020 at 02:59 AM.
Old 14th February 2020, 03:53 AM   #186
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Got successfully trolled into moronic outburst (they stopped laughing in 2016 for sure). Next.
Old 14th February 2020, 04:03 AM   #187
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Interesting thread on how Bloomberg throws his obscene amounts of money around:

https://twitter.com/blakezeff/status...76156936171520

Originally Posted by Blake Zeff
The degree to which Michael Bloomberg is using his fortune to fundamentally alter & manipulate U.S. politics to his personal advantage extends way beyond ads. I've worked against him, covered him as a journalist & worked with his top aides. Here’s their playbook: (1/17)
Old 14th February 2020, 06:43 AM   #188
Cabbage
Suspended

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
https://i.imgur.com/tPoN7oT.jpg

Got successfully trolled into moronic outburst (they stopped laughing in 2016 for sure). Next.
Have you not been paying attention? Trump manages to have moronic outbursts daily.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 06:57 AM   #189
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
You can bet Russia will be trying to keep them agitated. It worked out well for them in 2016 and nothing has been done that would stop them from doing it again.
Old 14th February 2020, 07:41 AM   #190
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Current Affairs: A Republican Plutocrat Tries To Buy The Democratic Nomination

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2020/...tic-nomination

Bloomberg is trying to market himself as some kind of antidote to Trump. His entire history is as one of his peers and shares many of the same vices that are hated in Trump.

He's an authoritarian, perfectly comfortable siccing the NYPD on blacks, hispanics, and Muslims in the city in obvious defiance of civil rights.

He's a sexist, with at least 17 lawsuits from women who suffered sexual harassment or discrimination from him or at his companies. There are tons of very damning misogynistic clips to choose from. It is widely believed that there are more such stories, but Bloomberg, like many rich people, has bought silence with NDA's.

He holds the concerns of poor and working class people is absolute contempt and regularly defends the interests of the ultra-wealthy.

Bloomberg is just a more polite, more polished version of Trump. He is unacceptable as the Democratic nominee.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 14th February 2020 at 07:52 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 07:56 AM   #191
3point14
Pi

At this point, I'm reminded of Bill HIcks:

“I'll show you politics in America. Here it is, right here. 'I think the puppet on the right shares my beliefs.' 'I think the puppet on the left is more to my liking.' 'Hey, wait a minute, there's one guy holding out both puppets!'”

It's not Trump v Bernie
It's not the Republicans v Democrats.

It's corporate owned America vs anyone who doesn't want that.

Essentially, at this stage there's Bernie on one side and the whole of the media, his own party, and the opposition on the other.

Bernie in the White house won't be too much trouble, his own party, funded as they are by billionaires, will oppose him, the opposition will oppose him. It will make it more difficult to sell the political charade as something actually meaningful though.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 08:05 AM   #192
ahhell
Illuminator

He holds the concerns of poor and working class people is absolute contempt and regularly defends the interests of the ultra-wealthy.
More accurate to say he holds working class people in contempt and thinks he know better about what should be their concerns than they do.

Other than that, he is a super rich authoritarian, even more on both scores than Trump. You won't find Trump trying to micromanage the lives of citizens the Bloomberg seems interested in.
Old 14th February 2020, 08:11 AM   #193
carlitos
"más divertido"

Current Affairs: A Republican Plutocrat Tries To Buy The Democratic Nomination

He's a sexist, with at least 17 lawsuits from women who suffered sexual harassment or discrimination from him or at his companies.
I agree with you that Bloomberg is an authoritarian. However, you might want to think about how many companies and employees Bloomberg has, over how many years, and whether "17" is a high or low number based on what happens at other large organizations. To me, that sounds low.
Old 14th February 2020, 08:13 AM   #194
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
At this point, I'm reminded of Bill HIcks:

“I'll show you politics in America. Here it is, right here. 'I think the puppet on the right shares my beliefs.' 'I think the puppet on the left is more to my liking.' 'Hey, wait a minute, there's one guy holding out both puppets!'”

It's not Trump v Bernie
It's not the Republicans v Democrats.

It's corporate owned America vs anyone who doesn't want that.

Essentially, at this stage there's Bernie on one side and the whole of the media, his own party, and the opposition on the other.

Bernie in the White house won't be too much trouble, his own party, funded as they are by billionaires, will oppose him, the opposition will oppose him. It will make it more difficult to sell the political charade as something actually meaningful though.

How to understand American politics in one photo.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 14th February 2020 at 08:16 AM.
Old 14th February 2020, 08:15 AM   #195
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Ah yes the "All I learned from politics I learned from South Park" argument.

Yeah I saw the Giant Turd and Big Douche episode too. It was funny. It had some valid points. It wasn't completely true and the entire picture.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 08:16 AM   #196
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Oh yeah were have I heard "It doesn't matter because the entire system is rotten, at least our guy is different and shaking it up" mentality from before?

Where do I still hear it from constantly?

Hmmmm... I can't remember.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 08:21 AM   #197
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

If I were one of these left-wing accelerationists, I'd be hoping for Bloomberg to win the nom.

Having the entirety of the US political system reduced down to two plutocrats trying to buy the presidency is 100% high-test radicalization fuel.

This isn't "only Bernie can fix this". This is "Bloomberg is uniquely unfit to meet the needs of the moment".

Buttigieg, Amy, or Biden can't hold a candle to Bloomberg. He's a monster.
Old 14th February 2020, 08:34 AM   #198
rockysmith76
Muse

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EQrU5lNU...jpg&name=small

How to understand American politics in one photo.
Note that pesky Clinton in there....
rockysmith76 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 08:37 AM   #199
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Other than the primary he's running in, literally everything I've heard about Bloomberg this campaign makes him sound like a Republican. Am I missing something?
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 08:40 AM   #200
rockysmith76
Muse

If I were one of these left-wing accelerationists, I'd be hoping for Bloomberg to win the nom.

Having the entirety of the US political system reduced down to two plutocrats trying to buy the presidency is 100% high-test radicalization fuel.

This isn't "only Bernie can fix this". This is "Bloomberg is uniquely unfit to meet the needs of the moment".

Buttigieg, Amy, or Biden can't hold a candle to Bloomberg. He's a monster.
Showing you guys want to be confrontation, and not add to the National Dialogue. You want to force your way. Hardly productive
rockysmith76 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics