ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , diseases

Closed Thread
Old 28th January 2020, 11:15 PM   #201
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger
 
rjh01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Flying around in the sky
Posts: 25,546
The list below gives a list of disinformation. It does not give references. Though they often just need to say the original information is unsourced.

Here's A Running List Of Disinformation Spreading About The Coronavirus
__________________
This signature is for rent.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 11:34 PM   #202
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 80,079
Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
The list below gives a list of disinformation. It does not give references. Though they often just need to say the original information is unsourced.

Here's A Running List Of Disinformation Spreading About The Coronavirus
Wow! The sheer number and variety of fake stories circulating is quite telling about how extensive the phenomena is.
__________________
Trump Lied, People Died What color hat should I order with that logo? I think red on black.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 11:59 PM   #203
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing
 
Roboramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 13,715
That list doesn't even go into the conspiracy theories going around in China. For instance that it is an american made bioweapon that only affects asian people.
__________________
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 12:02 AM   #204
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 80,079
My heart goes out to you, Robo.
__________________
Trump Lied, People Died What color hat should I order with that logo? I think red on black.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 01:37 AM   #205
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 24,851
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
There is no evidence it is that high. You continue to pull that denominator out of the nether regions.
Holy crap, you just keep doing it. You've been completely dishonest from the first page of this thread.

Here's one easy one you might like to think about:

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Influenza is thousands of time more deadly and more easily spread.[then coronavirus]
Wrong and wronger.

I, on the other hand, have been exclusively using information from Imperial College in London which is, alongside CDC, the world's leading authority on viruses and epidemics. Not my nether regions.

I've given links to the information.

I believe I already commented somewhere in the thread that when it comes to facts, I'll take the word of organisations like ICL over "some woman on the internet".
________________________________

Meanwhile, some more actual data:

One week ago, there were 100 confirmed infections and 3 deaths.

As of today, there are 6000 confirmed cases and 132 deaths. The death rate seems by far highest for males aged over 50. In that age group, the mortality rate may even exceed SARS.

I see talk already of numbers peaking. Bit early, I'd have said.

My kid's school is excluding children whose families have travelled to China over the holidays, for at least the first two weeks. Seems to be a national policy.
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 02:43 AM   #206
lauwersw
Thinker
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 139
My Chinese colleagues based in Chengdu have informed us that the government has extended the holiday period with one week to help prevent the spread of the virus. They should be back at work the first week of February. A pretty drastic measure, even if I'm not sure whether it applies to just parts of China or the whole country.
lauwersw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 03:58 AM   #207
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger
 
rjh01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Flying around in the sky
Posts: 25,546
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
<snip>

Meanwhile, some more actual data:

One week ago, there were 100 confirmed infections and 3 deaths.

As of today, there are 6000 confirmed cases and 132 deaths. The death rate seems by far highest for males aged over 50. In that age group, the mortality rate may even exceed SARS.

I see talk already of numbers peaking. Bit early, I'd have said.
<snip>
Is that because there are more cases or because there is better reporting of the cases? It had better be the second, because if it is the first humans are in big trouble. The number of cases is growing by 60 each week. Next week there will be 360,000 cases and the week after 21,600,000 cases. The only good news is that eventually everyone would have contacted the disease and so it would stop spreading.

So your numbers cannot be right. It cannot be spreading that fast.
__________________
This signature is for rent.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 04:17 AM   #208
Dr.Sid
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Olomouc, Czech Republic
Posts: 2,483
The exponential factor is about 1.5 per day, that is 17 per week. 60 is distorted by lower numbers and delays in reporting. With bigger numbers the estimate would be more precise.

Here I found very nice graph in local news which uses logarithmic scale. No sign of peaking. You can also see the growth rate is pretty stable.

https://public.flourish.studio/visua...sation/1292813

Still at this rate the whole world population would get infected in 34 days. Of course it will peak before that. It wont thrive in different climate, and even in affected areas, some percentage of people will never get infected. So it will never be 7 billion. It can be millions though.

Last edited by Dr.Sid; 29th January 2020 at 04:22 AM.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 06:58 AM   #209
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 80,079
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Holy crap, you just keep doing it. You've been completely dishonest from the first page of this thread. ...

My kid's school is excluding children whose families have travelled to China over the holidays, for at least the first two weeks. Seems to be a national policy.
Disagreeing with you does not make people dishonest.

Excluding kids whose families have traveled to China is an absurd overreaction.
__________________
Trump Lied, People Died What color hat should I order with that logo? I think red on black.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 07:33 AM   #210
Dr.Sid
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Olomouc, Czech Republic
Posts: 2,483
It's Chinese government plot to remove elderly from society. Soon other governments will realize too, and the travel restrictions will be removed
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 09:31 AM   #211
Arcade22
Philosopher
 
Arcade22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,118
Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
The list below gives a list of disinformation. It does not give references. Though they often just need to say the original information is unsourced.

Here's A Running List Of Disinformation Spreading About The Coronavirus
Quote:
19. Vitamin C will not cure or prevent a coronavirus infection, as posts and videos on Facebook falsely claim.
But will having sex with a virgin cure you, like it does with HIV?
__________________
We would be a lot safer if the Government would take its money out of science and put it into astrology and the reading of palms. Only in superstition is there hope. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 09:44 AM   #212
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 25,523
Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
The company I work for makes cleaning products, including hard surface disinfectants. Our sales reps in the US and Canada are already getting asked about products effective against this. I've been asked to put together a letter for them detailing which of our products are effective against coronaviruses. Fortunately, the answer is "nearly all of them."
The CDC website just says "Use a diluted bleach solution or a household disinfectant with a label that says “EPA-approved.”" to treat surfaces. That obviously won't help with direct person-to-person transmission, of course.
I read something just recently that apparently some are recommending that people drink bleach.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/qanon-...-lethal-bleach
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 10:59 AM   #213
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 24,851
Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Is that because there are more cases or because there is better reporting of the cases? It had better be the second, because if it is the first humans are in big trouble. The number of cases is growing by 60 each week. Next week there will be 360,000 cases and the week after 21,600,000 cases. The only good news is that eventually everyone would have contacted the disease and so it would stop spreading.

So your numbers cannot be right. It cannot be spreading that fast.
Well, it clearly is spreading that fast, because the numbers will be well under-stated, mainly due to the lag in being infected and being tested.

You also need to remember that many people with it won't be tested because they won't be sick enough to go to the doctor. That's why ICL is using a factor of 100 in estimating the numbers with the disease.

The human species isn't in trouble as a result of the virus, it's just not that deadly, except maybe for old blokes. None of them around here, are there?

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
But will having sex with a virgin cure you, like it does with HIV?
Worth a try!
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 11:38 AM   #214
Venom
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 4,082
This is some feeble "population control".

Unless it's a test run for a bigger operation in the future....yeah, that's the ticket.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 11:39 AM   #215
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Port Townsend, Washington
Posts: 26,201
A tweet from Ken "Popehat" White:
Quote:
Middle child's school just sent an email about the Coronavirus that said, in very polite school administrator terms, WILL YOU PACK OF GULLIBLE GIBBERING MORONS STOP WETTING YOURSELVES OVER EVERY IMBECILE RUMOR YOU RUN ACROSS ON THE PORN SITES YOU FREQUENT
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 12:05 PM   #216
marting
Graduate Poster
 
marting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,309
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
A tweet from Ken "Popehat" White:
I love that site. Lot's of good, irreverent lawyer/judge stuff too from a defense atty. that used to be a USA DA.
__________________
Flying's easy. Walking on water, now that's cool.
marting is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 12:29 PM   #217
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 80,079
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
A tweet from Ken "Popehat" White:
__________________
Trump Lied, People Died What color hat should I order with that logo? I think red on black.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 12:32 PM   #218
Armitage72
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,034
The CDC has updated their guidance on the use of disinfectants on surfaces now that the EPA has announced that the virus meets the requirements for their Emerging Viral Pathogen policy. This allows disinfectant manufacturers to obtain permission to make limited claims against the specific virus under very specific conditions, e.g. not on their labels or in general advertising.

Quote:
Routine cleaning and disinfection procedures (e.g., using cleaners and water to pre-clean surfaces prior to applying an EPA-registered, hospital-grade disinfectant to frequently touched surfaces or objects for appropriate contact times as indicated on the product’s label) are appropriate for 2019-nCoV in healthcare settings, including those patient-care areas in which aerosol-generating procedures are performed. Products with EPA-approved emerging viral pathogens claims are recommended for use against 2019-nCoV. These products can be identified by the following claim:

--“[Product name] has demonstrated effectiveness against viruses similar to 2019-nCoV on hard non-porous surfaces. Therefore, this product can be used against 2019-nCoV when used in accordance with the directions for use against [name of supporting virus] on hard, non-porous surfaces.”

--This claim or a similar claim, will be made only through the following communications outlets: technical literature distributed exclusively to health care facilities, physicians, nurses and public health officials, “1-800” consumer information services, social media sites and company websites (non-label related). Specific claims for “2019-nCoV” will not appear on the product or master label.

--Additional information about EPA-approved emerging viral pathogens claims can be found here: https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-regist...hogensexternal

--If there are no available EPA-registered products that have an approved emerging viral pathogen claim for 2019-nCoV, products with label claims against human coronaviruses should be used according to label instructions.

We license two formulas from a company that has received approval for emerging pathogen claims. They require following the directions for killing Adenovirus 7, which is 4 times the concentration used for other viruses. Since both products are already approved to kill human coronavirus at the lower concentration, the use rate is basically "nuke it from orbit; it's the only way to be sure."

Last edited by Armitage72; 29th January 2020 at 12:35 PM.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 12:50 PM   #219
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 24,851
Further confirmation that kids aren't being bothered by the virus, but are carrying & shedding it: https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/1...ead-undetected

I'd say we have a guaranteed pandemic on our hands.
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 01:12 PM   #220
Armitage72
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,034
I don't know if this is a better fit here or in Politics, but right-wing AM radio raving lunatic Michael Savage has suggested that his listeners mail infected material to Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 01:49 PM   #221
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 80,079
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Further confirmation that kids aren't being bothered by the virus, but are carrying & shedding it: https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/1...ead-undetected

I'd say we have a guaranteed pandemic on our hands.
Do you suggest we all hide under our beds?

For the record, some of my past comments:
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It should cause people to think how futile such isolation will be.
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I said, "a really nasty cold no one has immunity to spreading around the world."

...This new virus strain is going to spread around the world. There's a certain point where it is too late to put the genie back in the bottle and this has passed that point. It will be severe in some populations, especially the elderly and people with pre-existing conditions.

... It was suggested that if a novel fu outbreak wasn't stopped in the first few weeks, we would not be able to stop it. The reason and why that differed from SARS was, with flu one has millions of mild cases that go under the radar.

... This is a bad pathogen. No one has immunity. It is going to spread around the world like a wildfire. The fatality rate will not be in the millions, maybe 10s of thousands worldwide, but not millions. It will be high among older people and people with preexisting conditions. ...

There is nothing to panic about. And it is going to spread.
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
There's nothing wrong with being alarmed. It's a novel coronavirus and that means the population likely has no immunity against the virus. It's very likely to spread through populations like the Aussie bushfires. And we probably will fail at stopping it for the very reason were were successful stopping SARS. There will be mild cases and they will slip through the cracks....

Most third world countries have little to no public infrastructure. They won't be able to stop it.

The one good thing about this virus so far is the fatality rate is very low. ....
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
... So far this needs cautious observation. There are lots of pneumonia cases, but the fatality rate is very low.....
__________________
Trump Lied, People Died What color hat should I order with that logo? I think red on black.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 01:50 PM   #222
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 80,079
Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I don't know if this is a better fit here or in Politics, but right-wing AM radio raving lunatic Michael Savage has suggested that his listeners mail infected material to Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.
Threatening a Rep is against the law. Bet he has to retract it.
__________________
Trump Lied, People Died What color hat should I order with that logo? I think red on black.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 02:08 PM   #223
ceptimus
puzzler
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 6,237

http://en.nhc.gov.cn/news.html

It will be interesting to see if the exponential trend continues over the coming days.

I'm still waiting for the first confirmed cases in India or Africa - once those get to be more than a handful we can give up on the idea of containment.

Last edited by ceptimus; 29th January 2020 at 02:13 PM.
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 05:27 PM   #224
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 47,920
Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I don't know if this is a better fit here or in Politics, but right-wing AM radio raving lunatic Michael Savage has suggested that his listeners mail infected material to Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.
How long until Savage plays the "Just Joking" card?
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 05:30 PM   #225
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 47,920
The 2011 movie "Contagion"..about a killer virus in the US that originates in China...is having resurge in popularity because of the coronavirus outbreak.
Really good movie that deserved more success then it got in 2011.though scary as hell to watch. The New CHannels having updating numbers for Millions who died is particularly scary.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 05:49 PM   #226
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 24,851
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Do you suggest we all hide under our beds?
No, but I'd advise any older people with pre-existing heart, lung or kidney issues to avoid it like the plague.

Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
It will be interesting to see if the exponential trend continues over the coming days.

I'm still waiting for the first confirmed cases in India or Africa - once those get to be more than a handful we can give up on the idea of containment.
We should be giving up on it already - it's out, it's spreading, and by the end of next week, there will be millions of infections.

If you want something to worry about, think about mutations in the virus. Coronaviruses mutate every now and then, and with googols of individual viruses infecting millions of members of a brand new species, the chances of mutation grow higher and higher.
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 05:57 PM   #227
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 80,079
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
No, but I'd advise any older people with pre-existing heart, lung or kidney issues to avoid it like the plague. ...
By taking what actions specifically?
__________________
Trump Lied, People Died What color hat should I order with that logo? I think red on black.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 05:57 PM   #228
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 47,920
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
No, but I'd advise any older people with pre-existing heart, lung or kidney issues to avoid it like the plague.



We should be giving up on it already - it's out, it's spreading, and by the end of next week, there will be millions of infections.

If you want something to worry about, think about mutations in the virus. Coronaviruses mutate every now and then, and with googols of individual viruses infecting millions of members of a brand new species, the chances of mutation grow higher and higher.

I don't deny what you say has a high probability of happening, bu tthat you say it with such obvious relish concerns me...
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 06:02 PM   #229
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 47,920
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
By taking what actions specifically?
I think the idea if for them to die, and decrease the surplus population....
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 06:32 PM   #230
Venom
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 4,082
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I don't deny what you say has a high probability of happening, bu tthat you say it with such obvious relish concerns me...


I tend to read The Atheist's posts that way.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 06:33 PM   #231
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 47,920
Originally Posted by Venom View Post


I tend to read The Atheist's posts that way.
He REALLY overdoes the "Cynical Misanthrope" bit.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 06:35 PM   #232
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 47,920
The Mayor of Wuhan has admitted he screwed up in the early stages of the outbreak.
His future is probably not bright.
As a sign of how serous this is getting, the Chinese government has ordered all theaters closed until further notice.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 06:48 PM   #233
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 19,717
Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I don't know if this is a better fit here or in Politics, but right-wing AM radio raving lunatic Michael Savage has suggested that his listeners mail infected material to Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.
What a dick move. I know he's filthy Trumptrash but Savage must still have enough brain cells to rub together to know that AOC and her staff would never encounter their infected mail. Being he's a Trump voter/supporter stupid and dishonest are assumed. However, even the minimal, reptilian intelligence it takes to be a Trump voter must inform ******** that it's some poor schmuck in the Congressional mail room who will encounter the "infected" mail.

Trump voters/supporters, they are scum and certainly not real Americans. Savage is more proof that you don't have to treat a Trump supporter/voter as if he or she is good enough for basic, human dignity. They just aren't Americans.
__________________
A MAGA hat = a Swastika arm band. A vote for Trump is a vote for treason.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 07:35 PM   #234
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 80,079
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The Mayor of Wuhan has admitted he screwed up in the early stages of the outbreak.
His future is probably not bright.
As a sign of how serous this is getting, the Chinese government has ordered all theaters closed until further notice.
Interesting this has echoes of the SARS pandemic. I may have mentioned it upthread.

The local governments are the ones that hide things, to save face, to not be blamed. The national government has a tendency to act more reasonably.

When SARS was in the middle of the worst of things, the Shanghai government falsely claimed there were no cases there. I wonder of Roborama remembers that.
__________________
Trump Lied, People Died What color hat should I order with that logo? I think red on black.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 09:04 PM   #235
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing
 
Roboramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 13,715
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
When SARS was in the middle of the worst of things, the Shanghai government falsely claimed there were no cases there. I wonder of Roborama remembers that.
I had actually been living in Hong Kong but just left when SARS happened. I think I was in India at the time. My memories of it are all memories of the stories of friends living in Hong Kong at the time. I moved back to Hong Kong in 2004 and then to Shanghai in 2005.

I'm a little concerned about the economic repercussions over here. My own business, for instance, is closed until further notice at the moment (tentative opening date according the government is Feb 10, but I really doubt that that won't change). A friend of mine is in a similar situation. Another friend of mine spent the last year working on his new denim brand which was supposed to launch after Chinese New Year, but I think he's going to have some trouble now. Another friend of mine has had all his work cancelled until June, which he's worrying about a lot since he didn't have much savings. Restaurants, malls, and the streets in general are pretty empty, and the only places that seem to be busy are the supermarkets because people are stocking up on food.

Things are usually relatively quiet over Chinese New Year, though, so we'll see what things look like when people start getting back, and to what extent there's a return to normalcy when people get back to work.
__________________
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 09:11 PM   #236
Arcade22
Philosopher
 
Arcade22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,118
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
No, it's effective, just not for the reasons most people think.

Viruses themselves will pass straight through a surgical mask, it is true. They're too small for it to be a direct barrier. But in most cases you're not getting infected because you inhaled the virus. You're getting infected because you've touched an infected surface, then touched your mouth or nose before washing your hands. By acting as a barrier to your mouth and nose, it can effectively prevent infections. A surgical mask is also generally sufficient to block liquid droplets from coughing or sneezing, which are also a vector.
The fact that they are not using single-use sanitary gloves is by itself clear evidence that they are not going to be protected from anything. As soon as they remove their masks with their nasty contaminated fingers they have pretty much undone the protective effect of these face masks.
__________________
We would be a lot safer if the Government would take its money out of science and put it into astrology and the reading of palms. Only in superstition is there hope. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 09:14 PM   #237
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 66,159
Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
The fact that they are not using single-use sanitary gloves is by itself clear evidence that they are not going to be protected from anything. As soon as they remove their masks with their nasty contaminated fingers they have pretty much undone the protective effect of these face masks.
Yes, if they're serious about it they'll wash their hands before taking the mask off. But I doubt most people think that far.
__________________
Self-described nerd.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 10:57 PM   #238
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger
 
rjh01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Flying around in the sky
Posts: 25,546
Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
The fact that they are not using single-use sanitary gloves is by itself clear evidence that they are not going to be protected from anything. As soon as they remove their masks with their nasty contaminated fingers they have pretty much undone the protective effect of these face masks.
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Yes, if they're serious about it they'll wash their hands before taking the mask off. But I doubt most people think that far.
So we agree, most people wearing masks will receive no additional protection from the virus.

From reading this thread it appears that healthy people are highly unlikely to get seriously ill from this. But anyone who has health issues need to take precautions. Like using a mask correctly, washing hands frequently (and correctly) and staying home more.
__________________
This signature is for rent.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 11:31 PM   #239
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 24,851
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I don't deny what you say has a high probability of happening, bu tthat you say it with such obvious relish concerns me...
Way to read something that is absolutely not there. Read the words again and explain where you see relish, because all I wrote and see is English.

Your comprehension skills are woeful.
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 11:36 PM   #240
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 24,851
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
By taking what actions specifically?
Stay away from people with it, wash hands, be sensible, & see your doctor if you have a fever.
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:27 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.