ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old Today, 01:20 AM   #2481
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Andrea Leadsom suggested that remote voting could mean "your 6-year old voting for fun" or someone could "press the wrong button"

So, in case someone votes the 'wrong 'way by accident or a 6 year old votes for fun, we’re going to take votes away from hundreds of MPs and representation away from millions of people.
Didn't Rishi Sunak 'accidentally' vote against the plan to gut British agriculture in person?

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:24 AM   #2482
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
All of this traditionalist posturing is just a smokescreen to hide how empty and completely pointless yet time consuming most of the British parliamentary procedures really are Boris' answers to questions are. That is why the arguments are so bad.
FTFY

Last edited by P.J. Denyer; Today at 01:25 AM.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:42 AM   #2483
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Alok Sharma self-isolating and has been tested for Coronavirus.
He began feeling unwell in the chamber today, spokesperson says.

Which begs the question who's going to call our "world-beating" contact tracers and phone everyone he's been near (The Cabinet) and tell them to self isolate for 14 days???

It wouldn't surprise me if they all went on holiday to Barnard Castle together.

After the last few PMQs Boris might be glad of a couple of weeks of isolation.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:16 AM   #2484
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
After the last few PMQs Boris might be glad of a couple of weeks of isolation.

Prorogue Parliament
Dissolve Parliament for an early election
Christmas
Half February on holiday
Off sick
Baby
Whitsun break

Yeah why not. I think he's going for the 'fewest PMQs' record anyway.

Old Today, 04:04 AM   #2485
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

The travel industry is up in arms about the proposed quarantine:

Quote:
More concern about UK quarantine rules - we heard from Ryanair earlier.

Now, the boss of the UK's biggest airport services company Swissport has warned the measure could deliver a "killer blow" to the travel sector.

From 8 June all passengers arriving in the UK must self-isolate for 14 days.

Swissport chief executive Jason Holt said the plan would deter people from travelling and put ground staff jobs at risk as a result.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/worl...ost_type=share

I guess it comes down to whether ground crew jobs are more important than lives.

And finally:

Quote:
Speaking to the BBC's Today programme, he said: "If it's so important and it's so relevant to the virus, and we all want the country to be safe, why wasn't this done in March? That's why everybody's quite confused on this."
It wasn't done in March because the UK government has never been "steered by the science" and instead has lurched from promoting/hoping for herd immunity and suppressing the disease to stop the NHS from being overwhelmed. It's also like a cushion, it bears the impression of the last person to sit on it and so changes its mind regularly about what course of action to adopt with regard to the chosen strategy. They're also feckless and lazy and because not implementing quarantine is easier than implementing it, they chose that option.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:20 AM   #2486
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

I guess it comes down to whether ground crew jobs are more important than lives.
There are alternatives to mandatory quarantene.

First of all, it can be cut to two days, followed by a test. If the test is negative you're free to go. This obviously requires free testing capacity UK lacks, but could perhaps be mitigated with saliva antigen tests. These work just like antibody tests, but look for the virus antigen. They aren't as reliable as RT-PCR, but are about ten times cheaper to perform, require minimal equipment and simple training. They can be done in basically unlimited volume. Saliva is comparible to a nasolaryx swab as a virus donor. It's not ideal but it might be good enough for the summer. The virus is less contageous in warm and sunny weather, after all.

Second of all, you can couple that to a list of safe destinations. If you spend holidays in a destination that has been determined to be Covid-19 free, then you don't need to treat that person in the same way as you'd treat an arrival from Brazil.

Right now I suspect there are two stronger factors at play. The first is BJ might be inclined to maintain the holiday pounds in UK for the season, to help the domestic economy. Beggar thy neighbor is a tactic dear to him. The second issue is that right now, disease-bearing British tourists aren't all that welcome to begin with.

That too is at least partially his fault.

McHrozni
Old Today, 04:36 AM   #2487
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

And finally:

It wasn't done in March because the UK government has never been "steered by the science" and instead has lurched from promoting/hoping for herd immunity and suppressing the disease to stop the NHS from being overwhelmed. It's also like a cushion, it bears the impression of the last person to sit on it and so changes its mind regularly about what course of action to adopt with regard to the chosen strategy. They're also feckless and lazy and because not implementing quarantine is easier than implementing it, they chose that option.
I don't see why we are doing this silly quarantine thing at all. We have a world leading Test, Track and Trace system. Other countries who don't have a world leading Test, Track and Trace system would need to think about it but thankfully we are not a nation that has pathetically prepared for Covid .

What we, with our world leading Test, Track and Trace system can do is: -when people land the are given a world leading Test, to see if they have Covid. They must download our world leading tracking app. They will probably get a world leading Test result before clearing Customs. They must then for the next 5 days report to a world leading Test centre to get another world leading Test. If at any point they fail then our world leading Tracking app will trigger the world leading Trace system and automatically inform everyone that they have been in contact with to into world leading lock down.

What is wrong with that as a plan?
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:44 AM   #2488
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
I don't see why we are doing this silly quarantine thing at all. We have a world leading Test, Track and Trace system. Other countries who don't have a world leading Test, Track and Trace system would need to think about it but thankfully we are not a nation that has pathetically prepared for Covid .

What we, with our world leading Test, Track and Trace system can do is: -when people land the are given a world leading Test, to see if they have Covid. They must download our world leading tracking app. They will probably get a world leading Test result before clearing Customs. They must then for the next 5 days report to a world leading Test centre to get another world leading Test. If at any point they fail then our world leading Tracking app will trigger the world leading Trace system and automatically inform everyone that they have been in contact with to into world leading lock down.

Compared to actual government plans? It would be genius!
Old Today, 05:22 AM   #2489
wobs
Master Poster

Which would you open first?
Ikea, to buy rubbish you don't need in an enclosed area,
Schools, with the enormous logistical nightmare of educating all those kids but maintain social distancing, or
Zoos - which are open air, can easily manage social distancing, will educate, and contribute to conservation.

Duh!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...yside-52875282
Old Today, 05:26 AM   #2490
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post

I think you'll find that it's not just world leading, it's world beating.

On an unrelated note, my late father used to to refer to an old and dilapidated car as "A Beater".

In order to support the track and trace system, Mrs Don is keeping a record of everyone outside our household she has had exposure to so that it will help the tracers. So far, after 1 week, there are zero names on that list .
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:42 AM   #2491
3point14
Pi

Meanwhile the government give the Daily Mail money to advertise how well they're doing.

Welcome to 1984

https://mobile.twitter.com/carolecad...75710586712067

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:19 AM   #2492
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by wobs View Post
Schools, with the enormous logistical nightmare of educating all those kids but maintain social distancing, or
Zoos - which are open air, can easily manage social distancing, will educate, and contribute to conservation.

Duh!

Sweden has kept day care centres and primary schools open without any significant deaths among either students (only one single dead child, that is someone under the age of 18, has been recorded as dying from or at least while infected by the virus) or teachers.

As far as I know, only one teacher has died from covid that they are known or suspected to have been infected by their colleagues. Two or three other teachers have died but they are known or suspected to have been infected outside of the school.

While it's difficult to organize and manage the teaching with regards to the amount of teachers and other staff members that are on sick leave, because they are either sick or a part of a risk group, it's surprisingly not a very dangerous environment as long as the adults do not infect each-other.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann

Last edited by Arcade22; Today at 06:21 AM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:37 AM   #2493
dann
Penultimate Amazing

"Known or suspected" is good! Sweden does so little testing and contact tracing that it's hard to say who infects whom.
Yesterday Sweden overtook France in number of coronavirus deaths per million and is now #7.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:45 AM   #2494
wobs
Master Poster

Sweden has kept day care centres and primary schools open without any significant deaths among either students (only one single dead child, that is someone under the age of 18, has been recorded as dying from or at least while infected by the virus) or teachers.

As far as I know, only one teacher has died from covid that they are known or suspected to have been infected by their colleagues. Two or three other teachers have died but they are known or suspected to have been infected outside of the school.

While it's difficult to organize and manage the teaching with regards to the amount of teachers and other staff members that are on sick leave, because they are either sick or a part of a risk group, it's surprisingly not a very dangerous environment as long as the adults do not infect each-other.
I wouldn't expect any significent deaths among the kids (although there is evidence that a tiny % could be affected).

It is the spreading to the wider population that concerns us. I've heard reports of 5-6 year olds going back in teh UK, and having strict rules to follow. However, parents have dropped them off and then met up to chat, and not followed social distancing rules on school grounds!

The idea that we could get all teh kids back in school, and maintain social distancing is ambitious to say the least.

We are the worst effected in Europe by some measures, and a PM who is proud of his track reord on this. Many of us are less than postive on this whole idea.
Old Today, 07:52 AM   #2495
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Boris Tweeted

Let’s continue to fight this virus by staying alert, keeping 2 metres away from others, and regularly washing our hands.
#StayAlert
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:55 AM   #2496
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

How is Alok Sharma doing Boris ? Just asking.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:56 AM   #2497
Arcade22
Philosopher

I wouldn't expect any significent deaths among the kids (although there is evidence that a tiny % could be affected).

It is the spreading to the wider population that concerns us. I've heard reports of 5-6 year olds going back in teh UK, and having strict rules to follow. However, parents have dropped them off and then met up to chat, and not followed social distancing rules on school grounds!

The idea that we could get all teh kids back in school, and maintain social distancing is ambitious to say the least.
Is it rare for kids to go to school on their own?

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:58 AM   #2498
Arcade22
Philosopher

Boris Tweeted

Let’s continue to fight this virus by staying alert, keeping 2 metres away from others, and regularly washing our hands.
#StayAlert
I still don't know what he means by "staying alert". I'm not sure he does either.

Old Today, 08:22 AM   #2499
sphenisc
Philosopher

Duh!

Question: Does the zoo have bats, pangolins and a suspiciously cheap cafe?
Old Today, 08:30 AM   #2500
wobs
Master Poster

Is it rare for kids to go to school on their own?
For younger kids you have to take them to school. I forget the cut off age where they can go on their own.
Old Today, 08:31 AM   #2501
wobs
Master Poster

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
Question: Does the zoo have bats, pangolins and a suspiciously cheap cafe?
They do have bats! I am confident they're not the menu, even though one did find my daughters head when we went.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics