ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th July 2018, 01:36 PM   #321
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Japan was probably thinking "We beat them soundly in 1905, we'll do it again. ". Japan rarely considered inferior equipment to be a detriment to their inevitable success. "Fighting Spirit" more important than a tougher tank, better rifle, or, heck, regular rations.
Well, generally the Axis powers seemed to be the guys who could least afford to wage a war, but drank deep and greedily of their own Kool Aid about superior people and triumph of the will power and all. Germany even had a complete internal organizational chaos in the name of a pseudo-darwinist will to triumph, while Japan and Italy seem to have indeed grossly overestimated what they can do with their equipment and logistics. Among other things.

But in Japan's case it does bring me to an observation I made a long time ago, in a galaxy far a... err... just a long time ago. Namely that Japan didn't learn the same lessons in WW1 that the European countries learned. France, for example, had had the similar "elan" ideas in WW1, but learned fairly quickly that equipment matters too, after all. Japan seems to have missed that lesson, along with several other lessons.

It must also be said, though, that the Axis powers also didn't cooperate almost at all, unlike the Allies. The Americans for example benefited from British experience with convoys, the British used American tanks, there were common operations, etc. Japan essentially fought a separate war the whole time, and had close to no idea of what they should be paying more attention to, that Germany had learned already one way or the other.
Old 20th July 2018, 01:46 PM   #322
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe they just jumped over it.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2018, 02:06 PM   #323
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
Well, generally the Axis powers seemed to be the guys who could least afford to wage a war, but drank deep and greedily of their own Kool Aid about superior people and triumph of the will power and all. Germany even had a complete internal organizational chaos in the name of a pseudo-darwinist will to triumph, while Japan and Italy seem to have indeed grossly overestimated what they can do with their equipment and logistics. Among other things.

But in Japan's case it does bring me to an observation I made a long time ago, in a galaxy far a... err... just a long time ago. Namely that Japan didn't learn the same lessons in WW1 that the European countries learned. France, for example, had had the similar "elan" ideas in WW1, but learned fairly quickly that equipment matters too, after all. Japan seems to have missed that lesson, along with several other lessons.

It must also be said, though, that the Axis powers also didn't cooperate almost at all, unlike the Allies. The Americans for example benefited from British experience with convoys, the British used American tanks, there were common operations, etc. Japan essentially fought a separate war the whole time, and had close to no idea of what they should be paying more attention to, that Germany had learned already one way or the other.
There was very little sharing of technology. Japan didn't have radar and only had crude sonar. Germany could have helped out.
Britain for example sent the designs and samples of the Cavity Magnetron and prototype Proximity Fuse to the USA to enable joint development. The designs for the Merlin Engine were also sent to the USA and Packard sent the designs of their all alloy V8 to the UK (Became the Rover V8 still in production in modified form until recently)
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2018, 06:03 PM   #324
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, that's exactly right. The Axis guys in fact not only didn't share tech, but really didn't cooperate at all, and occasionally actually got in each other's way or indirectly harmed each other. It's like the three stooges with armies.
Old 20th July 2018, 07:09 PM   #325
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
...Packard sent the designs of their all alloy V8 to the UK (Became the Rover V8 still in production in modified form until recently)
Uh, I don't think so. The Rover V8 came from General Motors and was used by Buick and Oldsmobile in the early '60's. And by Brabham in Formula 1, winning championships in 1966 and '67.
Old 20th July 2018, 07:43 PM   #326
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Heck the Canadians and the Americans created a combined battalion sized unit that functioned to a high level while the Axis could barely cooperate at the divisional level....
Old 21st July 2018, 01:43 AM   #327
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Uh, I don't think so. The Rover V8 came from General Motors and was used by Buick and Oldsmobile in the early '60's. And by Brabham in Formula 1, winning championships in 1966 and '67.
Yes you are right, I was misremembering.
Old 21st July 2018, 03:59 AM   #328
Mark F
Graduate Poster

Yes, the "Rover V8" began life as a Buick V8 in the late 50's early 60's in a line of small (by American standards) cars that had a short production life. After than GM was stuck with a fancy motor it didn't know what to do with. So naturally they sold it to the Brits and kept their old low-tech iron V8's. The Buick V8 then went on to power British cars and trucks for the next 40 years.

A good deal for Rover.
Old 23rd July 2018, 08:55 AM   #329
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
Heck the Canadians and the Americans created a combined battalion sized unit that functioned to a high level while the Axis could barely cooperate at the divisional level....
The Devil's Brigade. Although at 1,400 men thats pretty under-strength for a brigade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_..._Service_Force
lobosrul5 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2018, 11:37 AM   #330
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
And even then, only if Rommel wasn't involved. He didn't DO cooperation
Old 25th July 2018, 01:54 PM   #331
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

And even then, only if Rommel wasn't involved. He didn't DO cooperation
Yes, but at least he always subordinated tactical success to the wider strategic goals
(main source - other posts by you - but I think I might have misremembered )
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2018, 10:15 PM   #332
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Actually, the other way around. He was good at tactical level, and even operational, but he had zero clue of strategic goals or logistics. Which kinda correlates to the last command level he was actually trained for, until his BFF Adolf made him a general. Which is, battalion level.

Edit: I might have been a bit harsh in singling out Rommel, though. The SS also didn't DO cooperation with anyone else. YOLO and remember the battle cry of our ancestors: "Leeeerroooyy Jenkins!"

Last edited by HansMustermann; 25th July 2018 at 10:17 PM.
HansMustermann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 12:11 AM   #333
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Actually, the other way around. He was good at tactical level, and even operational, but he had zero clue of strategic goals or logistics. Which kinda correlates to the last command level he was actually trained for, until his BFF Adolf made him a general. Which is, battalion level.

Edit: I might have been a bit harsh in singling out Rommel, though. The SS also didn't DO cooperation with anyone else. YOLO and remember the battle cry of our ancestors: "Leeeerroooyy Jenkins!"
Just in case somebody is unfamiliar with Leeroy Jenkins:
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p.../LeeroyJenkins

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 01:50 AM   #334
Reactor drone
Graduate Poster

Thing is, though, the BT-5 had more than twice the hp/ton, better front armor, and a MUCH better gun. The optics were also better than what the Japanese had, ensuring a very good chance of hitting the Japanese well outside their own effective range, even though they were vastly inferior to the German ones. (Light transmission for example was crap until well after Barbarossa, due to lack of quality coatings on the lenses.)

Apart from the Germans, did anyone have coated optics in WW2 ? I've got a periscope sight from a Sherman here and it doesn't appear to have any optical coatings.
Reactor drone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 04:13 AM   #335
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

I THINK the Soviets did, actually.
Old 26th July 2018, 08:22 AM   #336
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Light transmission isn’t only about coatings, it’s also type of glass and lens/prism manufacture. Getting better quality transmitting glass is actually quite the industry.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 10:02 AM   #337
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Yes, but at least he always subordinated tactical success to the wider strategic goals
(main source - other posts by you - but I think I might have misremembered )

Yes, that fell a bit flat; I thought that I'd signposted my sarcasm with my second paragraph. It would have been quite an achievement to have taken that message from your posts
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 11:23 AM   #338
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Reactor drone View Post
Apart from the Germans, did anyone have coated optics in WW2 ? I've got a periscope sight from a Sherman here and it doesn't appear to have any optical coatings.
It depends on the optics. gun sights were coated as were binoculars and telescopes but vision blocks in tanks weren't.
Old 26th July 2018, 11:47 AM   #339
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, that fell a bit flat; I thought that I'd signposted my sarcasm with my second paragraph. It would have been quite an achievement to have taken that message from your posts
Well, I probably needed another coffee before my sarcasm detector starts
Old 26th July 2018, 01:16 PM   #340
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Well, I couldn't decide which way to read your post. And started to doubt my memory...

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2018, 01:22 PM   #341
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Klimax View Post
Well, I couldn't decide which way to read your post. And started to doubt my memory...
The trouble with the British liking for sarcasm played straight.

Especially in text.

Still, that's half the fun.
Old 26th July 2018, 02:56 PM   #342
dudalb
Suspended

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
The Devil's Brigade. Although at 1,400 men thats pretty under-strength for a brigade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_..._Service_Force
The 1968 William Holden/Cliff Robertson film"The Devil's Brigade" is fun,but not very accurate.
Although they did pretty much nail the attack on Mt Difensa.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2018, 04:40 AM   #343
TX50
Graduate Poster

A flying Cromwell. I hope the driver remembers to de-clutch before he lands or that's going to get messy.
TX50 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2018, 07:29 AM   #344
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Every time I see that photo or the BT-5 jumping film I want to add the Speed Racer jumping Mach 5 sound effect.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2018, 05:16 PM   #345
Major Major
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by TX50 View Post
A flying Cromwell. I hope the driver remembers to de-clutch before he lands or that's going to get messy.
Are you sure that isn't a still from a James Bond movie?

Major Major is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2018, 02:07 PM   #346
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Cromwell was a fast tank. Christie Suspension coupled with a Meteor Engine (Derated Rolls Royce Merlin).
They equipped Reconnaissance Regiments fromD-Day onwards.
Old 23rd August 2018, 07:14 PM   #347
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Cromwell was a fast tank. Christie Suspension coupled with a Meteor Engine (Derated Rolls Royce Merlin).
They equipped Reconnaissance Regiments fromD-Day onwards.
Lindeybeige has a video about stories regarding the Cromwell, and one of them was about Market Garden. When forced to retreat quickly from fixed gun positions two tanks had to jump a trench. In midair the commander yelled to the driver to declutch and they did. The other tank did not do so.

Old 24th August 2018, 07:55 AM   #348
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Bet it never happened
Old 28th August 2018, 12:54 PM   #349
TX50
Graduate Poster

Bet it never happened
It's not impossible. The incident is described in Bill Bellamy's "Troop Leader". He says they'd already done it in troop trials at Bovington in 1942 (your picture perhaps shows such a trial). The canal they jumped was allegedly 20 feet across and they hit a ramp on the near bank doing 20 mph. They'd stumbled over a Jerry A/Tk position and were legging it for their lives at the time.

Last edited by TX50; 28th August 2018 at 12:55 PM.
TX50 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2018, 01:43 PM   #350
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Tell it to the Marines

(As we used to say in the Navy)
Old 29th August 2018, 12:23 AM   #351
TX50
Graduate Poster

Tell it to the Marines

(As we used to say in the Navy)
Suit yourself, whatever, but the tank in the photo has jumped at least 30 feet already and is still ascending.
Old 2nd September 2018, 11:13 AM   #352
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

if you hit a mere 15 degrees ramp at 30mph, neglecting air resistance (which is pretty accurate for a tank: the surface to mass ratio makes air drag not decelerate it much), you get almost exactly 30 ft jump distance.

You can check the calculation for example here: https://keisan.casio.com/exec/system/1225079475

Edit: note however that to jump a 20 (or for that matter 30ft) ditch with guaranteed results, the tank doesn't actually have to jump all that distance. It just needs to jump from where the rear of the track left the ramp to where the centre of mass passed the other edge of the ditch. So you can actually subtract a few feet from how long you need to jump.

Last edited by HansMustermann; 2nd September 2018 at 11:17 AM.
HansMustermann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2018, 03:18 AM   #353
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by TX50 View Post
Suit yourself, whatever, but the tank in the photo has jumped at least 30 feet already and is still ascending.
To be pedantic, it's still in a nose-up attitude; it may nevertheless be descending, because although it'll generate a bit of lift I suspect that'll be negligible compared to the weight of the tank.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd September 2018, 01:59 PM   #354
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

A great many airplanes have crashed while descending in a nose up attitude. Depending on where the cg is, the tank may have been pitching up while in flight.
Old 3rd September 2018, 02:05 PM   #355
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

A great many airplanes have crashed while descending in a nose up attitude. Depending on where the cg is, the tank may have been pitching up while in flight.
Given the mass, and what that must mean for the moment of inertia, I suspect it's attitude is not going to alter very much during the flight time for a 30mph jump - regardless of where the CoG is.
Old 3rd September 2018, 04:11 PM   #356
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

I would expect the CG to be relatively near the middle of the tank. Otherwise you're not spreading the weight evenly over the tracks. And, after all, the whole reason to go with tracks was to keep ground pressure in check.
Old 4th September 2018, 01:35 AM   #357
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

While we're discussing the aerodynamics of tanks, I should probably mention the Antonov A-40, for which this was a key concern (and apparently an insurmountable obstacle).

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2018, 02:58 AM   #358
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I would expect the CG to be relatively near the middle of the tank. Otherwise you're not spreading the weight evenly over the tracks. And, after all, the whole reason to go with tracks was to keep ground pressure in check.
Not necessarily although you are right, a designer tries to spread the weight of the tank across it's wheelbase it isn't always possible. For example, look at the wheel spacing on a T-34 or T-55.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 4th September 2018 at 03:00 AM.
Old 9th October 2018, 12:46 AM   #359
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

BTW, I can't remember... did anyone mention the Covenanter yet? I think that a tank that, forget exploiting a breakthrough, it can't even get to the fighting because the cooling boils over is a fair example of what happens when drugs are legal

Running the hot coolant pipes through the crew compartment is also a nice touch. Not only it keeps them on their toes, but it keeps the tank nice and warm... in the desert.

But I think basically all one needs to know is that the Brits in Africa would rather use captured Italian tanks, awful as they were, than ship over the Covenanter
Old 9th October 2018, 02:49 AM   #360
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Covenanter was a good looking tank and could have been decent but it was plagued by the usual problems of the early war tanks.
It was given to the London Midland Scottish Railway engineering department to design, they had no experience with AFV design. Meadows were asked to produce a new low profile engine design and produced a horizontally opposed 12-cylinder design, it was wide and left no room for radiators in the rear.
Because of the heating in the crew compartment it was never considered for deployment to Africa but a few were sent for assessment.
It was ordered straight off the drawing board with no prototypes just like the Crusader and Churchill which effectively made all of them prototypes.
It came in to service just after Dunkirk and by equipped saome regiments but never saw action as it was replaced by Sherman, Churchill and Cromwell by the time of D-Day
It probably could have been a decent tank if it hadn't been rushed in to production but it was desperate times.
The biggest mistake was keeping it in production long after it was obsolete because it was felt that the contracts with manufacturers had to be honoured.
Covenanter is well covered in 'The Great Tank Scandal: Part 1: British Armour in the Second World War' by David Fletcher.

They didn't 'rather use' captured Italian tanks over the covenanter as none of them were sent to Africa, they were retained in the UK and used for training.
They were having enough problems keeping the crusaders running to worry about

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts