ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old Today, 11:54 AM   #1361
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Mainstream news (MSNBC & CNN) show clips of these comments all the time, right next to the montage of clips of Trump saying the opposite.
I'm pretty sure this is the same montage. Has he ever said Russia did it without moving on to also say it could be someone else? I don't recall a single instance of him not equivocating.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:55 AM   #1362
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
What you are trying to say is you aren't interested in the truth, so to avoid it your go-to is personal attacks. That's why I don't hang out here much.
Ehh... when one spouts propaganda that's so far divorced from reality that it is, in a way, both hilarious and saddening, especially when that can be easily shown to be such, ridicule is a common reaction.

You're showing off that you're a gullible sucker, after all.

Last edited by Aridas; Today at 11:57 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:05 PM   #1363
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
Trump is on record on many occasions acknowledging Russian meddling. It's all on tape, but you won't see it on fake news. Tune in to Fox News, Directv channel 360, where they will play the series of tapes from time to time. The truth is out there, but you won't find it on CNN.
For as long as I've been observing it, right-wing propaganda mills always try to convince us that the mainstream media is hiding stuff from us -- and their evidence comes from the mainstream media.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:07 PM   #1364
Minoosh
Philosopher

Per the AP article, it's kind of alarming that Trump apparently *had no idea* he'd done poorly at the Putin summit. Someone posted that he knew as he walked away that he had screwed up, but that may not be true. If he didn't know, it speaks to his level of delusional thinking. IMO he personally has been having a hard time this summer. He seemed a little let down after the Singapore summit, which he had greatly anticipated, and he briefly seemed euphoric, but then the media almost unanimously reported that while the meeting was important symbolically it did not break any new ground in diplomacy. Then there was the family separation thing, which reflected poorly on his administration, and the way he handled the executive order. This will be a controversial view but I think there were worse players than Trump in that debacle, to wit, Jeff Sessions. (Would have been nice to see Sessions canned).

Still, he didn't seem totally detached from reality in those events. But thinking he'd done great with Putin, IMO that goes beyond a big ego and a lack of self-awareness. He thought people would cheer for him? How can you miss something so blindingly obvious to everyone? No one can blame that on "fake news."

I know some people here think he has lost none of his base but I'm not so sure. The military may be a bit annoyed with him right now and big business a little bit less gung-ho. I don't think a 25th amendment thing will happen, but I'd be surprised if his staff hasn't at least researched it. Trump seems in need of an intervention, though it probably would't work. If I were his staff I'd be working around the guy, seeking to control damage. It's pretty clear that someone else is already writing a lot of his tweets.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:31 PM   #1365
Minoosh
Philosopher

Mexico's new president, Andrés Manuel López Obrador, has a sense of humor, per The Economist:
Quote:
When rumours spread that Russia was meddling in the election to favour him, he responded with a video on social media. Standing by a harbour, he introduced himself with a smile as “Andrés Manuelovich” and said he was waiting for a submarine to arrive with a delivery of Russian gold.
Something I read said that if Putin really were in cahoots with Trump, it would have looked better to have Trump lambaste him at the press conference, not roll over submissively. So while Putin wanted Trump to win, he really might not be thrilled about Trump's man-crush.

Who here thinks Putin will say yes to a fall summit with Trump? He may actually see it as tedious and inconvenient, and string Trump along. He's got more on his mind than U.S. relations, and he knows Trump is unreliable.

Is Trump is still gunning for the Nobel Prize?

ETA: The "something I read" is in the New Yorker link kellyb posted in the Mueller thread.

Last edited by Minoosh; Today at 01:40 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:45 PM   #1366
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The thing is Trump thought being Pres would be something like being Putin.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; Today at 01:50 PM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:43 PM   #1367
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
The thing is Trump thought being Pres would be something like being Putin.
Possibly.
I think he really believed he could swoop in and run it just like his "family owned" companies/empire. All his bluster about how easy everything would be, he'd just decide on the best course and tell congress or the agencies and that would be that. Rebuild his own name brand at the same time I expect.

But it's not.
For the first time, he's now an actual CEO. The "chief exec", but without a true deciding/overriding vote on everything and with a rather large board of directors (congress). He also forgets the position comes with 300+ million stockowners and most of them are "voting shareholders". He forgets he was in essence "hired" and, ostensibly... we are his "bosses".
The "business" is the U.S.A. ... and he's hurt the "brand" terribly.

---
I keep forgetting to mention...
There's a damn good reason US presidents tend to go gray in under four years. It's a damn stressful job.
How's Donny gonna keep denying he dyes his rug/ferret/hair(?) if he doesn't go gray?

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics