IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 1st January 2021, 12:49 AM   #281
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
What a surprise. Did anyone really think that Putin and his fellow criminals were working at all to protect their fellow citizens? You can bet that they look at this as thinning the herd, leaving more for the few while the many get ******.
let's face ti, the Rulers of Russia have never shown much regard for the Russian People, from Ivan the Terrible on down.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 12:51 AM   #282
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Pfizer is project to make 20 Billion from the vaccine. I don't begrudge them this money if the vaccne works.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 08:40 AM   #283
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Pfizer is project to make 20 Billion from the vaccine. I don't begrudge them this money if the vaccne works.
Was Pfizer stock one that the republican senators used insider knowledge to buy back in March 2020?
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 12:48 PM   #284
Matthew Best
Penultimate Amazing

Video of NYE party in Mar-A-Lago during a deadly pandemic. Present, and singing along to "Play That Funky Music White Boy" is D Trump Jr. R Giuliani is also dancing.

https://twitter.com/DWUhlfelderLaw/s...66634084573185
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 01:08 PM   #285
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Yes!

In the paper today they had an article Tennessee Outlines Vaccination Plan.

According to this chart I could qualify for phase 1b.
I've got the morbidly obese down pat, I just need one more high risk condition.
I haven't talked to my doctor in ages, maybe he has an idea.

P. S. Wait, what? Tennessee has a Department of Health?

Schrodinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
Don't ask what happened to Schrodinger's dog.
Solitaire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 01:10 PM   #286
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Video of NYE party in Mar-A-Lago during a deadly pandemic. Present, and singing along to "Play That Funky Music White Boy" is D Trump Jr. R Giuliani is also dancing.

https://twitter.com/DWUhlfelderLaw/s...66634084573185
How gauche!
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 01:51 PM   #287
Meadmaker

I see Mitt Romney is blasting the Trump administration for failing to develop a vaccine distribution plan.

I didn't vote for Mitt, but I always thought he was a decent fellow.

I just hope our President-Elect is working hard to fix the problem. He can't do anything official until January 20, but I hope he is ready to hit the ground running on day 1, or at least on day 2. (We should probably give him at least one day to enjoy the job. The next four years it gets harder.)
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 03:09 PM   #288
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
A former Wisconsin hospital worker was arrested on Thursday afternoon after telling authorities he intentionally removed COViD-19 vaccines from the refrigerator at Aurora Medical Center in Grafton.

The Grafton Police Department announced the arrest in a news release, but did not provide the name of the pharmacist arrested.He is currently being held in the Ozaukee County Jail and faces tentative charges of recklessly endangering safety, altering a prescription drug and criminal damage to property. The pharmacist is a resident of Grafton, according to the release.
It's ******* unbelievable that they haven't released his name. Maybe with the holidays reporters are stretched thin, but there is absolutely no reason not to release his name. This is kind of "the principle" of the thing for me. No, for the world at large his name doesn't matter, but really if the government is going to take the step of arresting and incarcerating someone that person needs to be formally acknowledged and publicly identified. Just not releasing the name is a bad precedent - as is reporters accepting this situation. FOIA!
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 03:09 PM   #289
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post

Twitter link
Is this another of trump's super-spreader events? Many of the attendees have already had Covid-19 but I'm sure there were many there who haven't had it. Yet.

Why did they bother to play Sinatra's "New York New York?" trump hates us and we hate him.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 03:12 PM   #290
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I see Mitt Romney is blasting the Trump administration for failing to develop a vaccine distribution plan.

I'm not sure he's decent but I do believe he's competent.

Quietly task Mitt with this. He seems well organized. I don't know if the world ever works that way.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 03:15 PM   #291
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
P. S. Wait, what? Tennessee has a Department of Health?
I think most states have health departments - they run things like restaurant inspections and probably host some vaccine events. Their emphasis is more on public health as a whole, but in my state they're pretty active. I'd try them as a resource.
Old 1st January 2021, 05:35 PM   #292
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Some States are very slow to inoculate recipients despite successful and very large scale distribution of vaccines by the Federal Government. They will get it done!
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 06:55 PM   #293
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

From Worldometer:

Quote:
United States
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

New Cases:
New Deaths:

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 07:12 PM   #294
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
It's ******* unbelievable that they haven't released his name. Maybe with the holidays reporters are stretched thin, but there is absolutely no reason not to release his name. This is kind of "the principle" of the thing for me. No, for the world at large his name doesn't matter, but really if the government is going to take the step of arresting and incarcerating someone that person needs to be formally acknowledged and publicly identified. Just not releasing the name is a bad precedent - as is reporters accepting this situation. FOIA!

Although I probably wouldn't cry too many tears should something happen to him as a result of his identity being released, I think there is reason to be concerned for the safety of his family, other relatives, or even people with the same name.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 07:36 PM   #295
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Looks like US just dropped a spot in the per capita listings.

Russia admits to world's third-worst Covid-19 death toll

More than 186,000 Russians have died due to coronavirus, three times more than previously reported

Well over 3 times, actually, by the look of it.
I wonder why they even admitted it. Are they trying to mitigate domestic damage? Did they have a surge of public-health sanity?

My conservative family members have hushed up about thinking the virus is some kind if hoax. More people they know are getting sick? My aunt and uncle came down with it, and she was complaining to me earlier this year that it was overblown, docs were padding the numbers or something. It didn't just go away like a miracle, that's pretty obvious.

I didn't tell my brother across town that mom's physical therapist tested positive on Wednesday. She last saw him (therapist) 10 days ago and the isolation protocols only call for 10 days. But when security came to take our temperatures today they said we had to call resident services about the sign on our door and they don't open till Monday. So I'm in a plague house, which wouldn't bother me except that I really, really want to use the gym and don't want to get the evil eye. I also noticed that both resident services and security personnel came in pairs. I'm wondering if there is some legal reason for that, because otherwise you're just increasing risk of exposure.
Old 1st January 2021, 07:50 PM   #296
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Although I probably wouldn't cry too many tears should something happen to him as a result of his identity being released, I think there is reason to be concerned for the safety of his family, other relatives, or even people with the same name.
I feel like the reporter should have pushed a little harder for his name, but I don't really blame law enforcement for not wanting to release it. Reading the story as an editor that jumped out at me. I think the holiday probably meant everyone was short-staffed. No time to take it up the food chain.

Typically on a holiday many news organizations would have one cop reporter covering every jurisdiction. This apparent crime is so bizarre that I can see officials playing it safe going into a long holiday weekend.

What on earth was this guy thinking?
Old 1st January 2021, 08:32 PM   #297
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

I read a story in a Rochester (NY) local news site, but in their national news section. About a seven-year-old Utah girl who was infected with Covid-19 (unbeknownst to her family because she was asymptomatic), and then probably as a result developed Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children, or MIS-C. According to the Center for Disease Control, "Many children with MIS-C had the virus that causes COVID-19, or had been around someone with COVID-19." The girl became critically ill and had to be hospitalized in a Utah ICU for several days. She recovered but suffered swelling of her heart. Doctors are not sure how this will play out but for now the girl is restricted from any physical activity. Meanwhile her father, Andrew Maurer, told an interviewer:
Quote:
“I used to be on the whole page of masks don’t do anything, this is just the flu. Kids don’t get sick from COVID,” said Andrew. “And I gotta tell ya — I’ve been completely humbled,” he added. Link to article on Rochester First dot com
Masks don't do anything, this is just the flu, kids don't get sick from Covid. It's hard to feel real sympathy for someone so arrogantly stupid.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 08:49 PM   #298
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Masks don't do anything, this is just the flu, kids don't get sick from Covid. It's hard to feel real sympathy for someone so arrogantly stupid.
I agree, and yet I am even more inclined to blame the people in leadership positions who peddled that nonsense, and continue to do so.

That doesn't mean i give a pass to those who simply accept the decrees of leaders, but I am more inclined to blame the shepherd than the sheep.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 08:50 PM   #299
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I think most [all] states have health departments - they run things like restaurant inspections and probably host some vaccine events. Their emphasis is more on public health as a whole, but in my state they're pretty active. I'd try them as a resource.
ftfy
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 08:52 PM   #300
Meadmaker

I'm pretty sure that arrests are public record, at least where adults are concerned. I assume that this is a temporary state of affairs. The name will be released in time.

I think, to quadraginta's point, that the family and other interested parties need to at least have some prior warning in a high profile case like this.
Old 1st January 2021, 09:11 PM   #301
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

I just hope our President-Elect is working hard to fix the problem. He can't do anything official until January 20, but I hope he is ready to hit the ground running on day 1, or at least on day 2. (We should probably give him at least one day to enjoy the job. The next four years it gets harder.)

Quietly task Mitt with this. He seems well organized. I don't know if the world ever works that way.
I'm going to second Minoosh here and take it a bit further. Romney's really not what one should call a decent person after the harm he did with Bain Capital. Competent, though, and slightly more principled than most of the rest of the major GOP politicians, however, yes. Sadly, that bar is so close to the ground that pretty much any normal person wouldn't even need to break stride to step over it.

What are the chances that they just happen to be white? If they were black, I'd expect a name and an unflattering mugshot, after all. I might just be particularly peeved at the 63-year old Nashville suicide bomber basically getting an elementary school photo published in the reporting about him, though.

I wonder why they even admitted it. Are they trying to mitigate domestic damage?
Domestic political damage, at least.

Last edited by Aridas; 1st January 2021 at 09:13 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 09:38 PM   #302
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Here's my more-or-less monthly post comparing the US response to Canada.

As of 31 December 2020, differences in the American response compared with Canada 's have resulted in an estimated 204,000 excess American deaths.

The population of the United States is 8.6 times that of Canada. Based on population alone, all other things being equal, one can expect the number of deaths from COVID-19 to be 8.6 times that of Canada.

One thing that is decidedly not equal is the extreme outlying numbers in New York State, currently at 1,961 deaths per million population. There's nothing comparable to it in Canada; the worst hit province is Quebec, and their death rate half that of New York's at 964/million. Therefore, in the following table I attempt to even out the numbers by subtracting out New York State's population and deaths, then applying the resulting deaths/million to the entire US population.

US population
million
Less: population of New York State
million
Adjusted population
million
Total US deaths to 3 November
worldometer.com (1077/million)
Less: deaths in New York State
worldometer.com (1961/million)
Adjusted death count
(=356,445 - 38,145)
Adjusted deaths/adjusted million population
(=318,300 ÷ 311.530)
Adjusted total deaths
(=1,022 × 330.986)
Deaths in Canada to 3 November
canada.ca/coronavirus (412/million)
Expected US deaths based on Canada:US ratio
(=15,606 × 8.6 [Canada:US population ratio])
Excess US fatalities compared to Canada
(=338,179 - 134,212)

Based on this analysis, there are just short of 204,000 excess deaths compared to Canada after evening out the numbers from New York State. In my opinion, a huge number of these are due to the inept response of the Trump administration. Another factor was the push by Trump to get the economy going again in hopes of boosting his re-election chances, and governors willing to follow that advice. And some of it is due to the tendency of Americans to distrust their government.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)

Last edited by Blue Mountain; 1st January 2021 at 09:40 PM.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2021, 05:31 AM   #303
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Dr. Simone Gold tweets

@drsimonegold
America’s Frontline Doctors are at the CDC in Atlanta to protest against forcing millions of Americans to take an experimental vaccine for Covid-19, a pathogen with a survival rate of 99.7%.
We will fight against any experimental therapy being forced on anyone.

I will be speaking at the #StopTheSteal rally in DC on January 6. Learn the facts you need to fight for freedom from forced experimental vaccines, government overreach, and unconstitutional lockdowns.

We The People must unite now—join us here:
http://WildProtest.com
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2021, 05:32 AM   #304
dirtywick
Philosopher

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
I read a story in a Rochester (NY) local news site, but in their national news section. About a seven-year-old Utah girl who was infected with Covid-19 (unbeknownst to her family because she was asymptomatic), and then probably as a result developed Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children, or MIS-C. According to the Center for Disease Control, "Many children with MIS-C had the virus that causes COVID-19, or had been around someone with COVID-19." The girl became critically ill and had to be hospitalized in a Utah ICU for several days. She recovered but suffered swelling of her heart. Doctors are not sure how this will play out but for now the girl is restricted from any physical activity. Meanwhile her father, Andrew Maurer, told an interviewer:

it's a very long story about why I always roll my eyes when people compare covid to the flu as if the flu is nothing, and I'll spare you the details. but i can say that when you get that sick and survive, it takes a piece of you with it.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2021, 05:38 AM   #305
Garrison
Philosopher

Well he might be if Trump wasn't ordering his cronies to deny him briefings and access at every turn.
Old 2nd January 2021, 02:26 PM   #306
No Other
Muse

With all the social distancing, tracing of activities, the number of eyes on the pandemic, the amount of resources expended to monitor Covid-19, wearing of masks and still this new variant is a complete surprise to the World??? It is understood that a virus will morph (usually tames itself so it can survive) but we still hung our collective hopes on a vaccine. We knew this would happen yet this whole mess became a political football. Let's see how this new variant plays out and how it is handled.

Maybe if Fauci would stop mugging for cameras and playing like a Pied Piper to children, we could have been ahead of the game.

By the way, can anyone name one thing that Fauci has done that contributed to the defeat of Covid-19?
No Other is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2021, 02:55 PM   #307
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by No Other View Post
It is understood that a virus will morph (usually tames itself so it can survive)
Good point.

It's lucky that's how it works or things like HIV would be deadly as hell and kill half a million people a year. It's also why nobody ever needs a rabies shot in the 21st century - I hear it's about equivalent to a cold these days.

Let's see how this new variant plays out and how it is handled.
You can watch it in real time here, or here.

Maybe if Fauci would stop mugging for cameras and playing like a Pied Piper to children, we could have been ahead of the game.

By the way, can anyone name one thing that Fauci has done that contributed to the defeat of Covid-19?
Wow, you must be amazing Fauci fan to think that one bloke can influence the course of a pandemic and defeat it. I reckon even Superman and Batman together would struggle to do that.
Old 2nd January 2021, 07:24 PM   #308
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

From Worldometer:
Quote:
United States
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

New Cases:
New Deaths:

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2021, 07:28 PM   #309
Aridas

This is from the UK, but... it's probably worth poking at as a warning for the US.

Covid wards 'full of children' for first time in pandemic, warn nurses
Old 2nd January 2021, 07:54 PM   #310
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

It's sad if you cannot admit that somebody who does not agree with your politics can be a decent person.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 2nd January 2021, 07:55 PM   #311
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

CNN reporting one more big surge (and we all know one is coming) will cause the US Hospital system to collapse.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 2nd January 2021, 08:04 PM   #312
Aridas

It's sad if you cannot admit that somebody who does not agree with your politics can be a decent person.
You're making an interesting implication that the not agreeing that someone's a decent person is solely dependent upon political disagreement.
Old 2nd January 2021, 08:53 PM   #313
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

CNN reporting one more big surge (and we all know one is coming) will cause the US Hospital system to collapse.
On November 6th we passed 10 million cases. Tomorrow we'll pass 21 million cases, the number of Americans infected has more than doubled in the past two months.

Remember when president dunce was telling the American public this would all be memory by October. We'd have it in the rear view mirror by then.
Quote:
President Donald Trump suggested Wednesday [August 19th when the U.S was up to 5.7 million cases] that the novel coronavirus might be gone in the fall..."If we have embers of corona coupled with the flu, that's not going to be pleasant, but it's not going to be what we've gone through in any way, shape, or form," Trump said at Wednesday's coronavirus press briefing, according to The New York Times, where he also said, "It's also possible it doesn't come back at all." Link to Business Insider article
Dr. Anthony Fauci immediately contradicted trump, who later referred to Fauci as an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dr trump.jpg (81.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 2nd January 2021, 11:43 PM   #314
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Sad thing is millions of people STILL think COvid is either a Hoax or overblown because Dear Leader tell them so.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 3rd January 2021, 04:58 AM   #315
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Kevin Sorbo tweets

@ksorbs
It’s been almost 10 months, shouldn’t the non-mask wearers be dead?
Old 3rd January 2021, 06:06 AM   #316
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The number of cases and deaths of the China Virus is far exaggerated in the United States because of @CDCgov's ridiculous method of determination compared to other countries, many of whom report, purposely, very inaccurately and low. “When in doubt, call it Covid.” Fake News!

The vaccines are being delivered to the states by the Federal Government far faster than they can be administered!
Old 3rd January 2021, 06:09 AM   #317
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

It's actually a negative number!
Old 3rd January 2021, 06:21 AM   #318
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Kevin Sorbo tweets

@ksorbs
It’s been almost 10 months, shouldn’t the non-mask wearers be dead?
About 200,000 of them probably are.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2021, 06:26 AM   #319
Speedskater
Thinker

Dr. Fauci is the recognizable spokesman about the fight against COVID-19. Every news organization is requesting zoom interviews.

Quote:
In every interview, Dr. Fauci deliveries the message about the growing problems.
Speedskater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2021, 06:39 AM   #320
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Don't worry, it will be all Biden's fault.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics