ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bomb detectors , dowsing , Gary Bolton , hal bidlack , Jim McCormick , Samuel Tree , sniffex

Old 9th June 2010, 06:15 AM   #241
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Biff Starbuck View Post
In Randi's encyclopedia, he says: "Dowsers are, generally speaking, very honest, sincere people, and almost always seem absolutely convinced of their abilities. That conviction is not well founded, since all properly performed, comprehensive tests of this particular claim have produced negative results."
I'm not buying it. When an honest and sincere businessman finds that the UK government has suspended exports of his product, that the Independent has reported that his product is directly responsible for 275 preventable deaths, that the JREF has made repeated offers over a period of years to supply $1,000,000 if the product can be shown to work, he steps forward and says, "I will personally demonstrate that the product works." What an honest and sincere businessman does not do is say " "We have been dealing with doubters for 10 years. One of the problems we have is that the machine does look a little primitive. We are working on a new model that has flashing lights."

Quote:
The next question then is: Are the sellers culpable if they SHOULD have known their product was a worthless piece of junk risking people's lives. It might be easier to convict someone like McCormick of homicide, for recklessly causing the death of innocent Iraqi citizens, rather than trying to prove he knew his product did not work. Unless you have testimony, e-mail, or phone calls where he admitted it was a scam, it would be hard to prove criminal intent of defrauding people. IMHO, it is much easier to prove that countless tests have been done on dowsing and it never works significantly better than random guessing, so the seller was reckless or at least negligent for selling what is an utterly defective product.
Proving fraud will be a difficult task. Of course, while it could never happen, there is a simple and quick method of determining how much faith this company's executives have in the product. Give each of them one of these products and allow them to demonstrate the product's power by walking across a live minefield. The only potential drawback is that a sincere but misguided executive who really believes that the product works will take the challenge and kill himself attempting to demonstrate the product. Given that these men's incompetence killed at least 275 innocent people, I consider such a mistake a small price to pay.
Old 9th June 2010, 08:24 AM   #242
Biff Starbuck
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Techowiz View Post
Dam it all Biff you beat me to it, see what happens you go out for a drink in the evening and when you wake up, all this happens.
I had to break your streak of four posts in a row
Biff Starbuck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2010, 06:28 AM   #243
Techowiz
Scholar

Another scam device hits the market, The AL-6D sold by Diodebell, who say the following about this magic stick, play spot the difference with the other scam devices:

'AL-6D is using a unique DiodeBell material structure localization technology and method. This technology is based on the magnetic attraction created by particular material structures when energized by low power electromagnetic waves, emitted by the AL-6D antennas.'

There was a video on youtube, but the owners pulled it after I slammed it on my blog, seems they don't want the free advertising! I also pointed out that McCormick was involved in this 'new' device and they also pulled the video showing McCormick, now what have they got to hide?
Anyway for the full rundown on this 'new' device check out the link:

http://www.diodebell.com/products/ex...tor-alarm.html

regards
Old 16th June 2010, 06:47 AM   #244
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Another scam device hits the market, The AL-6D sold by Diodebell, who say the following about this magic stick, play spot the difference with the other scam devices:

'AL-6D is using a unique DiodeBell material structure localization technology and method. This technology is based on the magnetic attraction created by particular material structures when energized by low power electromagnetic waves, emitted by the AL-6D antennas.'

There was a video on youtube, but the owners pulled it after I slammed it on my blog, seems they don't want the free advertising! I also pointed out that McCormick was involved in this 'new' device and they also pulled the video showing McCormick, now what have they got to hide?
Anyway for the full rundown on this 'new' device check out the link:

http://www.diodebell.com/products/ex...tor-alarm.html

regards
So hundreds of people have been killed by this scam and these criminal frauds are planning their next iteration. No, these are not sincere but misguided people - these are people who deserve to be behind bars.
Old 23rd June 2010, 05:09 AM   #245
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Swift blog entry about detectors
http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/...kepticism.html
Old 7th July 2010, 08:52 AM   #246
Techowiz
Scholar

A true believer comes out to play.

A true believer has come out to play on the UberGizmo site. To join in the fun go to the link:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2009/11/ade_651_handheld_detector.html

regards
Old 7th July 2010, 09:34 AM   #247
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

A true believer has come out to play on the UberGizmo site. To join in the fun go to the link:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2009/11/ade_651_handheld_detector.html

regards
The commentor who is defending the product is pissing me off to no end. When I get time, I will register and respond.
Old 2nd November 2010, 11:32 AM   #248
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Washington Post: Iraq confirms bomb-sniffing devices don't work

Quote:
BAGHDAD - The Iraqi Interior Ministry inspector general recently determined that wands used by police as the frontline defense in the country's fight against bombs are worthless.

His finding was unsurprising. But in today's Iraq, it had the potential to be politically explosive. What the ministry did in response to the inspector general's conclusion speaks volumes about how the Iraqi government works these days - and why so often it doesn't.

Full article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...110203290.html
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2010, 01:12 PM   #249
Accidental Martyr
Master Poster

Can they get their money back?
Old 8th November 2010, 02:23 AM   #250
Dubious Dick
Muse

Good stuff

Thanks for posting the link Adman. Have been away a while as v.busy but delighted to see so many people have picked up on this and are internet hounding the purveyors of poop.

I did a search on ade 651 and the results are nearly completely dominated by blogs and media coverage against these scammers.

There is more good coverage to come, and we are pressing for action against McCormick, Bolton, Vollmar and the others.

In fact, we've found another one based in the U.K. selling the XK-9. They say have withdrawn it some time ago, but strangely their website still seems to promote it. I am in contact with the company looking for assurances and where they got it from.

If you want updates please see

http://www.ukskeptics.com/forum/show...tion-Equipment

as don't have time to be posting on multiple boards.

If any of you have blogs please link to the existing campaigners blogs. If you want the links, or want to send me or Techowiz your links to blogs with appropriate articles.

Our campaign has been underway for about 2 years now and we continue to acknowledge the long history Randi had, starting with the Quadro-Tracker back in the nineties. It just goes to show how long it can take to get action but the effort is worth it.

In case you didn't know, after the story broke on the BBC early this year, Gary Bolton of Global Technical went on the run, and Jim McCormick rushed off to join his Romanian friends at Miratel in Romania. Apparently they reckon they are a respectable telecomms company. Well, Vodafone who they work with, have been informed of their connection with this bunch of shysters.

So, the campaign continues, and we will not rest until, as the guy in the Post article says, the scammers are safely tucked up in prison cots. Sweet dreams boys.

Couple of points:

If anyone out there is in Germany please do pursue your authorities to lock down David Vollmar at Unival, who apparently continues to try to sell the old SNIFFEX, now called HEDD 1.

Surely the Americans can put enough pressure on the Iraqi authorities to settle this matter by hanging the corrupt buyers. By way, apparently the key guy was a contact of the Lebanese ex-General who runs Prosec (the conduit we believe into Iraq), and was Interior Ministry in Baghdad. Also getting the damn things off the street.

Here in Britain, sadly a hotbed of the scammers after the U.S effectively shut down SNIFFEX, we need to be taking more aggressive action. If not sending Jim to say Iraq, and Gary to Taiwan for trial, we must get them locked up soon!
Old 1st December 2010, 08:54 AM   #251
Dubious Dick
Muse

HEDD! a.k.a Sniffex Plus

Quick update. This long running campaign, going all the way back to Randis first challenge to the Quadro Tracker, goes on, despite the relative silence recently.

We have very good reason to believe that further action is due against Jim McCormick of ADE 651 fame, and Gary Bolton, the pimp for the GT200.

We are now stepping up our efforts against David Vollmar and his HEDD1 (Hasn't Even Detected DooDoo Once!) form his Unival company.

Based in Germany, we are keen to ensure that the German authorities feel his collar. Please can anyone in Germany contact their elected representatives, or the police where Vollmar is based

unival® group of companies
unival® group GmbH - Am Hofgarten 4 - 53113 Bonn - Germany

Fon.: +49 228 688 36 58 / Fax: +49 228 688 36 59 / Cell: +49 151 12110637
Mail: david.vollmar@unival-group.com/ Skype: dv_at_skype/ twitter: unival_group

Web: www.unival-group.com

VAT ID: DE232565058/ Registration: HRB 14264, District Court Bonn/ Managing Director: David Vollmar

Also, get your media on the case. Vollmar has previously said he will get independent testing and even looked at the Million Dollar Challenge, but nearly tow years after these commitments all we get is legal threats and so called confidential tests. Ha! Come on folks. Lets get after him!!
Old 1st January 2011, 06:54 PM   #252
bobcouttie
New Blood

Fake Bomb Detectrs in the Maritime Industry

Some of these things are being offered to the maritime industry, I cannot yet post URLs but a Google for Maritime Accident Casebook and Fake Bomb detectors should find it.

Also, they are still being used in the Philippines - I saw one being used in Makati recently. An action team is being put together to do something appropriate.
bobcouttie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2011, 09:30 PM   #253
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bobcouttie View Post
Some of these things are being offered to the maritime industry, I cannot yet post URLs but a Google for Maritime Accident Casebook and Fake Bomb detectors should find it.

Also, they are still being used in the Philippines - I saw one being used in Makati recently. An action team is being put together to do something appropriate.

I haven't had time yet to read this throughly, but here is a link to help Bob out:

http://maritimeaccident.org/2010/12/...omb-detectors/
Old 3rd January 2011, 01:45 AM   #254
bobcouttie
New Blood

That, indeed, was the url I'd hoped you'd find. I haven't done the 15 posts required to post a URL That is the first salvo. We're going to the International Maritime Organisation, every P&I club, the maritime media etc.

To give some context: while my core business is maritime safety these days I was responsible for the BBC Radio 4 series Forbidden Knowledge and the subsequent book of the same name. Despite some very bad editing Forbidden Knowledge seems to have earned a positive name and does in fact, cover dowsing (and has been cited in various book on dowsing) although I'm most proud of getting nitinol out of parapsychology labs.

Together than give me a good inside track on getting these things out of ports and off ships, if they are there. Maritime Accident Casebook has a good cred in the industry so I'm confident it will be listened too.

With regard to the Philippines there's a lot of money involved and since I live there, a certain degree f personal danger. However, I am working with others who can make a differnce.
bobcouttie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2011, 11:35 AM   #255
Techowiz
Scholar

Bob,
Perhaps you can speak to the person mentioned below who actually bought the ade despite the numerous warnings?
I have copied the email that was 'brought' to my attention:

Dear Sir,
Bangladesh Navy intends to buy ADE 650 Explosive Detectors which we come to know are also being used by your organization. Would you please kindly let us know the performance of ADE 650/651 Explosive Detectors.

Best regards,
Commodore M Zakiur Rahman Bhuiyan
Assistant Chief of Naval Staff (Logistics)
Naval Headquarters, Banani, Dhaka-1213, BANGLADESH
Tel: 88 02-8753538 (Off), 88 02-8753539 (Res)
PABX: 88 02-8754041~9 Ext: 2400 (Off), 3400 (Res)
Mob: 88 01713-080133 (Off), 88 01711-447410(Pers)
E Mail: zakiur1359@yahoo.com
Old 4th January 2011, 11:41 AM   #256
Techowiz
Scholar

Bob,

Another Navy that seems to have been taken in are,
The Chittagong navy”. Whoever they are have also bought into the scam. Check the link:
http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article6935574.ece
Old 5th January 2011, 12:57 AM   #257
bobcouttie
New Blood

I'm concentrating on a specific sector, the merchant maritime and port industry where I know I can get traction. I want to get specific examples of their use in those industries. Considering doing a video on how to run a double blind trial. It needs to have a Maritime flavour and I have the resources.
Old 5th January 2011, 01:35 AM   #258
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by bobcouttie View Post
I'm concentrating on a specific sector, the merchant maritime and port industry where I know I can get traction. I want to get specific examples of their use in those industries. Considering doing a video on how to run a double blind trial. It needs to have a Maritime flavour and I have the resources.
If you want to see a double blind test of dousing from 1980 see this thread http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ad.php?t=57167
which discusses this video http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...2885649996034#

James Randi in Australia.

The ending is predictable.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2011, 07:10 AM   #259
bobcouttie
New Blood

The Chittagong Navy is Bangladesh, BTW.
Thanks for the video link.
I've got a fairly highly respected maritime training centre involved, which also happens to train Ship Security Officers, so it's an excellent environment for it. Unfortunately I won't have access to one of the fake devices but the message I'll be getting across is that anything that involves a telescopic radio antenna is not going to be a bomb detector - I've never seen a real bomb detector with one.
Old 5th January 2011, 09:09 PM   #260
bobcouttie
New Blood

I should also point out that dowsing is little known outside western cultures so a critique of these devices as merely dowsing will have little impact. In the maritime industry we're dealing with an industry in which 25 per cent of the manpower is Filipino, another large percentage are Indian, Indonesian, Banglashi and Chinese. That is why it is better do do, say, a video aimed at Ship Security Officers with a specific warning against instruments with telescopic aerials.
Old 6th January 2011, 01:41 PM   #261
Dubious Dick
Muse

Great Work

Just to say more power to your elbow Bob!

Have had to take a break from campaigning for a while but hope over next couple of weeks to get back on case here.

So pleased to see others picking up the baton. Keep up the good work. The more the merrier!!

Happy New Years campaigning!
Old 11th January 2011, 11:34 AM   #262
Techowiz
Scholar

The Thais have exposed another stick on a swivel 'explosive detector' with REAL testing. Make sure you check out the looks on the faces of the owners of the company (the ones doing the tests) says it all.
Check out the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eZX_KWoWuI

regards
Old 18th January 2011, 11:22 PM   #263
bobcouttie
New Blood

A quick update: Going through and testing various designs for a homemade 'bomb detector'. When I showed it off to my partner she said: "you're making the antenna move yourself" so I gave her the device and the expression on her face was wonderful.

Second, shipping magazine ShipGaz is researching the issue and will probably carry an item on hoax bomb detectors in the next issue.
Old 27th January 2011, 11:18 AM   #264
Big Les
Philosopher

An update on this - the British army* and the Dept for Trade and Industry were involved in promoting these devices to other countries.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ht/9377875.stm

* (the Royal Engineers, though bear in mind that they and Sidney Alford were also responsible for showing that they couldn't detect a van full of explosives)
Big Les is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2011, 03:46 PM   #265
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

ADE 651 bomb detector

Have we discussed this bogus bomb detector yet? It's on Newsnight at the moment, and this is the first I've heard of it. However, Ben Goldacre did a number on it over a year ago.

http://www.badscience.net/2009/11/wtf/

Sounds remarkably like the sort of bogus medical device we're all familiar with. Moving the scam on to bomb detection is a leap even for snake oil, though.

Rolfe.
Old 27th January 2011, 03:56 PM   #266
Ivor the Engineer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Have we discussed this bogus bomb detector yet? It's on Newsnight at the moment, and this is the first I've heard of it. However, Ben Goldacre did a number on it over a year ago.

Sounds remarkably like the sort of bogus medical device we're all familiar with. Moving the scam on to bomb detection is a leap even for snake oil, though.

Rolfe.
Randi brought it up a few years ago, IIRC.
Old 27th January 2011, 04:44 PM   #267
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

www.skepdic.com has something on them in one of the Newsletters if I remember right. Just fancy dowsing rods.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 27th January 2011 at 04:53 PM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2011, 04:50 PM   #268
Rolfe

That's what it seemed to be from the demonstration on Newsnight. How much did they say governments were being charged for them? Iraq apparently spent $85 million on the things. This is taking snake oil sales into new territory, it seems.

The Newsnight presentation
isn't available on Listen Again, but it was noteworthy for alleged "expert" John Wyatt making a complete fool of himself trying to defend the devices and his promotion of them. He must have been getting his lines from the homoeopaths.

Ah, here's Randi's article, originally dated October 2008. Over two years and they're still pushing it. The old one was a fraud right enough but this model really works....

Rolfe.

Last edited by Rolfe; 27th January 2011 at 04:53 PM.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2011, 04:56 PM   #269
geni

Have we discussed this bogus bomb detector yet?
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=128253

Quote:
It's on Newsnight at the moment, and this is the first I've heard of it. However, Ben Goldacre did a number on it over a year ago.

Not new for dowsing though. Goes at least as far back as WW2.

Not that different from various items that are meant to stop bullets.
geni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2011, 04:59 PM   #270
geni

Ah here we are claims to find explosives with this kind of thing go back to at least 1993:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadro_Tracker

Other such devices:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GT200
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniffex
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_6
geni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2011, 07:24 PM   #271
Black Hole
New Blood

How much did they say governments were being charged for them? Iraq apparently spent $85 million on the things. This is taking snake oil sales into new territory, it seems.
And the saddest thing is, the Iraqi government and military actually DEFENDS the darn thing. Here's a quote from Major General Jihad al-Jabiri, head of the Interior Ministry's directorate for combat explosives:
Quote:
"Whether it's magic or scientific, what I care about is detecting bombs. I don't care what they say. I know more about bombs than the Americans do. In fact, I know more about bombs than anyone in the world."
And one from Jawad al-Bulani, Iraqi Interior Minister, who said the ADE had
Quote:
"managed to prevent and detect more than 16,000 bombs that would be a threat to people's life and more than 733 car bombs were defused. Iraq is considered as a market area for many companies producing such devices ... and there are other rival companies trying to belittle the efficiency of these instruments the government is buying."
What a load of crock! At least the US military is smart enough to not use them.
Black Hole is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2011, 07:36 PM   #272
Stray Cat
Philosopher

There was a long thread about this in General Scepticism and Paranormal.
The UK conman got arrested sometime last year.
There's a guy on here who has campaigned against this but his thread has slipped off the short list and I can't remember enough about it to do a search.

I was glad to see it's still being highlighted on TV as a scam though... in fact a life threatening scam.
Beats me how anyone in the military falls for it... And I'm always coming up against UFOlogists who claim the military are credible people beyond fallibility!!!

Last edited by Stray Cat; 27th January 2011 at 07:39 PM.
Stray Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2011, 07:40 PM   #273
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Rolfe.

I think this is the main thread on the topic.
Old 28th January 2011, 03:24 AM   #274
Big Les
Philosopher

Relevant Newsnight episode here;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ht_27_01_2011/

Not the first time the militaries of the west have fallen for dowsing. US Marines in Vietnam, Royal Engineers (again) in the early C20th.

Last edited by Big Les; 28th January 2011 at 03:27 AM.
Big Les is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2011, 04:37 AM   #275
Techowiz
Scholar

Great to see everyones interest has been reawakened after the newsnight programme.
My posting, on this page of the 11th of January shows a test of the HEDD1 which was featured on last nights programme.
More exposure for the fraudsters.
regards
Old 28th January 2011, 05:57 AM   #276
Dubious Dick
Muse

Delighted

Just want to say that although I have been inactive on this for some time, so good to see it back in the news and the whole story beginning to emerge.

Funnily enough we told the UK Governmnet via the Defence Select Committee about all this about 2 years ago and it took ages for any action (only after NY Times piece in Nov 2009 and then the first Newsnight piece in Jan last year.

We suspect someone was embarassed about the role of REME, which we also told them about, and maybe wanted to keep sctum on that bit of the story.

Anyway, looks like the end for Vollmar at Unival peddling the old S Sniffex, first as Sniffex Plus and now as HEDD1 (have informed the German Defence Committee and UK Embassy about him before, but no joy. Hopefully they cannot ignore the problem any longer!!

As for Jim McCormick, well, he's got to go down now, and we are still wondering how long before Gary Bolton (GT200) will get his collar felt as we say here in blighty.

So, one final word for now. Although he does not seek the limelight, I need to say what a great job Techo has done keeping this alive, and now hopefully more of you will join in to help put the final nails in the coffins of those behind this sorry scam!! Come on folks, write your MP, let's get the conmen and their dirty money...all of it, including that in Iraq, Lebanon and elsewhere bribes were paid..

Yee Ha folks! The end is nigh!!
Old 28th January 2011, 06:02 AM   #277
Dubious Dick
Muse

oh yes...

and if anyone would be kind enough to add links to their blogs or sites for the following that would help maintain good SE rankings for the campaign, Happily mutually link to yours...

http://ade651gt200scamfraud.blogspot...t-hide-it.html

http://sniffexquestions.blogspot.com/

http://explosivedetectorfrauds.blogspot.com/

Please be aware that mine (first on list) is somewhat irreverent and angry, so you may not appreciate the style,
Old 28th January 2011, 09:29 AM   #278
Techowiz
Scholar

Now on youtube for those outside the UK;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxArxIgB9oA

regards
Old 28th January 2011, 11:19 AM   #279
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Have we discussed this bogus bomb detector yet? It's on Newsnight at the moment, and this is the first I've heard of it.
Did you catch the beginning of the programmes (I'm just watching it on youtube)? There was a suggestion that the Lockerbie bomb was let through because the Maltese police were using the devices.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2011, 01:19 PM   #280
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Dubious Dick View Post
As for Jim McCormick, well, he's got to go down now,
Not being British, I don't know what "go down" means. I do hope it means stands trial for murder or negligent manslaughter.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal