ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bomb detectors , dowsing , Gary Bolton , hal bidlack , Jim McCormick , Samuel Tree , sniffex

Old 28th March 2011, 09:58 AM   #321
Dubious Dick
Muse

Information

Anyone interested in this fraud may like to take a look at the following we have prepared:

A BRIEF HISTORY OF DETECTOR FRAUDS 1990 - DATE

A GALLERY OF IMAGES OF FRAUDULENT DETECTORS

A GALLERY OF IMAGES OF THE FRAUDSTERS

A SPREADSHEET ACCOUNTING FOR FRAUD
Old 29th March 2011, 01:14 PM   #322
Dubious Dick
Muse

Hi everyone. Hope you all are doing just fine!!

Please sign the petition here. And get a couple of mates to do the same. If they do the same and so on we can get a big number. THANKS!!!!!

http://www.change.org/petitions/dema...ectors-scandal
Old 31st March 2011, 02:15 PM   #323
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Signed and shared!

Last edited by AdMan; 31st March 2011 at 02:19 PM.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2011, 03:14 PM   #324
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

I'll be sharing this via my blog later tonight. I'll share the entry with you.
Old 31st March 2011, 04:33 PM   #325
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Here's my blog entry on the matter. Good luck!
Old 6th May 2011, 10:48 AM   #326
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Looks like the bogus 'detectors' are still in use.
Quote:
A total of 211 people were killed in violence in April, official figures showed. Hand-held bomb and weapons detectors used by Iraqi security forces are useless in the face of a rise in assassinations in Baghdad, the capital's security spokesman said on Wednesday. Major General Qassim Atta told a news conference that detailed checks of every car for pistols at all checkpoints across Baghdad would worsen the city's already choking traffic, and said the detectors, derisively referred to as "magic wands" by critics, were unsuitable. "The detective devices detect explosives, and not pistols or machine guns," Atta said, contradicting claims in previous months and years by other officials that they also detected bullets and other weapons. "The security forces are focusing on explosives, not pistols. "If they do detailed checks on every car, life will completely stop in parts of Baghdad."
The hand-held explosives detectors to which Atta was referring have been widely panned as ineffective for even their core purposes, after they failed to prevent several massive bombings in Baghdad in recent years. British firm ATSC manufactured and sold the device, the ADE651, to Iraq. In January 2010, Britain banned the export of the ADE651 device after tests showed it was not suitable for bomb detection. The ADE651 is a hand-held, pistol-shaped piece of equipment which uses a series of interchangeable credit card size paper cards said to be able to detect explosives such as C4 and TNT, as well as weapons. It was reputedly sold for between 16,500 and 60,000 dollars per unit, and has become ubiquitous in Iraq, having been bought in large numbers by local security forces.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2012, 02:49 AM   #327
Dubious Dick
Muse

A very happy skeptical 2012 to you all.

Been a while since posted here, but felt some of you may be interested to catch up with the saga. Sadly we still have no serious action against the Fraudsters either in the UK, or Germany, or indeed H3Tec in Utah, but we do not give in. Tenacity is the key to success. Techowiz and others continue to do a great job in keeping the issues at the forefront of the interweb.

Please do visit the blogs at:

http://ade651gt200scamfraud.blogspot.com/

and

http://explosivedetectorfrauds.blogspot.com/

The fight for justice goes on! And will be won!!
Old 14th January 2012, 12:50 PM   #328
Dubious Dick
Muse

Delighted

to see Randi mentioning the "ADE561" - we'll forgive him for getting two digist wrong in that it should be the ADE651, in the Magic Castle interview.

Have done a blog piece to remind everyone that it was Randi that inspired the Fake Explsoves Detectors Campaign.

Also heard the D.J. Grothe For Good Reason interview with Professor Bruce Hood where Bruce again mentions the fancy dowsing rod scandal.

We may see some interesting developments very soon, but unlike me I will keep my trap shut for now.

Of course, and as Techowiz knows, if we do not see those developments then certain people are in for the high jump, as my old Head teacher would say when we were in trouble.

latest blog piece on Randi and the swivelling dowsing detector fraud here:

While I have often credited Randi with bringing this to our attention, I realised this piece was long overdue! LONG LIVE THE AMAZING RANDI!! And Techowiz. For those of you who do not Techo, he really is a very fine man! A big hug to both.
Old 16th January 2012, 03:29 AM   #329
Dubious Dick
Muse

Adaptation of a mamas and papas song. Those of you who have been good enough to read my blog will know it is littered with song references and lyrics. So here we have one more in the cause of the Fake Explosives Detectors Campaign.

This time let's hope it is proper good news!

Wednesday Wednesday, so good to me,
Wednesday, Wednesday, it was all I hoped it would be

This may be a bit cryptic and sorry for that, but we should have something to tell you on Wednesday. That's all I can say right now.

But perhaps we will be able to play dominos!

best wishes from Dubious, and hopes.

Will you forgive me for linking the blog again? At least the current piece is in praise of Randi and Techowiz!!

TECHO BLOG HERE:

http://explosivedetectorfrauds.blogspot.com/

And I think it helps with the rankings to link here, hence my repetitive self publicising. Only know, we make no money from our blogs and no advertising either!!!

Best to all the good guys!
Old 11th February 2012, 01:29 PM   #330
Dubious Dick
Muse

Techos latest blog piece

HERE
Old 21st February 2012, 07:40 AM   #331
Dubious Dick
Muse

Before you read this please understand it is not officially sanctioned by JREF, However, I hope that it might give you a smile. If not, sorry. Just my silly ideas after a vino or two (glass, not bottles!)

Anyway, it keeps me out of trouble!!

http://ade651gt200scamfraud.blogspot...lly-works.html
Old 22nd March 2012, 12:46 AM   #332
Dubious Dick
Muse

In Case You Missed It

I started a new thread to publicise the latest bloggings of Techowiz. Just in case any of you are still following this thread or the issues, and missed the other thread, please do take a look at the link below.

TECHOWIZ BLOG HERE

Last edited by Dubious Dick; 22nd March 2012 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Improve
Dubious Dick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2012, 05:09 PM   #333
Dubious Dick
Muse

Big news!

http://ade651gt200scamfraud.blogspot.co.uk/

http://explosivedetectorfrauds.blogspot.co.uk/
Old 11th July 2012, 07:28 PM   #334
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Good news indeed! If he's convicted, I wonder if there's a way to bring homicide charges against him.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2012, 01:43 AM   #335
jimfish
Critical Thinker

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
jimfish is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2012, 06:11 AM   #336
Dubious Dick
Muse

More Good News

Just out!

Gary Bolton of GT200 charged with 2 counts of fraud.

Sam and Joan Tree charged with fraud

Simon Sherrard (Alpha 6) charged with fraud

Anthony Williamson of XK9 charged with fraud.

At last!!

More news and details to follow
Old 12th July 2012, 07:34 AM   #337
Dubious Dick
Muse

Keep up with latest news here and here

Will try to keep you updated with all latest developments subject to issues of sub judice, but if you want to check will always publish at blogs here first

NO ADS OR REVENUE GENERATION!

http://explosivedetectorfrauds.blogspot.co.uk/
Old 12th July 2012, 04:35 PM   #338
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

This is good news. Please keep the good news coming.

I only hope that things like this in the future are less common than in the past.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2012, 12:17 PM   #339
Biff Starbuck
Critical Thinker

To Dubious Dick and Techowiz:

Outstanding work gentlemen!

It is wonderful to see some of our own get forum members get results. It took years, but with hundreds of lives lost in Iraq, Thailand, Mexico, and probably other countries, it was a worthwhile battle.

If I ever am lucky enough to meet you in person, the first few rounds are on me!

-Biff
Biff Starbuck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2012, 09:13 AM   #340
Dubious Dick
Muse

Thanks Biff

But all the credit to Techowiz really. Without whom none of this could have happened. And of course to Randi for first bringing this to our attention.

There will be a bloody big party at the end of the trials of McComick, Bolton et al.

BUT, as I have just posted on my blog, there is much more to be done! See latest post:

MOPPING UP OPERATIONS

It would be great if the ripples of this fraud spread as far as possible, so that it can stand as a good example of stupidity, gullibility, greed and corruption. If anyone can help spread the news and the details of what still needs to be done to round up the baddies please do!

A small victory in the war with woo, but perhaps a good one. We van but hope!!
Old 14th July 2012, 07:06 PM   #341
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Great news! I (along with a thousand or so other people ) heard it from Bruce Hood yesterday; he shortened his talk at TAM so he could fit in an update at the end.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2012, 09:55 AM   #342
Biff Starbuck
Critical Thinker

Glad to hear it was mentioned at TAM.

Even if there is still work to do, it is a rare chance to taste victory in an otherwise slow fight against the seemingly endless tide of crooks willing to sell these dowsing rods. Ripping off treasure hunters is bad enough, but these rods sold to the police and military have cost hundreds of lives.
Biff Starbuck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2012, 01:24 PM   #343
Dubious Dick
Muse

Two things to add...for now anyway

You know me by now! There'll be more.

1. Biff. You are right! We must celebrate where we are today, nearly four years after we started the FEDC.. The FEDS Ho Ho!!

BUT! If anyone has not yet sent Techowiz a personal congratulatory message then please do!!! He has suffered more than I can tell you to see this through!

I want you all to know that he deserves a JREF Medal and more. However, I also know he will be relut ant to accept any honours at all! So personal messages of support would be lovely.

I cannot tell you every detail for reasons of personal confidentiality. I do hope some of you, like me, will have the honour of sharing a drink witth him in future. He doesn't even like you buying him a drink, he is such a good man he always wants to get them in. So, I toast Techo! And I sincerely hope you will too!

Whatever others more famous have achieved in this, the case would be nowhere without him! NOWHERE!

2. I am writing a piece on my blog about a big missing link. This missing link requires no fossils. But is a part of the evolution of the fake detectors fraud. Intrigued? I hope so! Some of the players are still alive, but as yet unidentified. Anyone want to help now? You can all do more! haven't a few of us proved that!/

Finally, for now, let me assure some skeptics in the skeptic community. Hoppy made a difference! More than you will ever know! But only because Techo persuaded Hoppy to Hop!!!

Bye for now.

Ribbit Ribbit!!

Last edited by Dubious Dick; 16th July 2012 at 01:27 PM. Reason: appalling spellin
Dubious Dick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2012, 01:19 PM   #344
Biff Starbuck
Critical Thinker

If you can get Techowiz to TAM 11, I will get him a JREF medal if I have to smelt and forge it myself. Plus I will make good on my offer of several rounds of the beverages of your choice to everyone who has posted in this thread over the past few years. [that should keep this bumped up to the top, right? ]

I look forward to reading about the missing link!
Old 18th July 2012, 03:25 AM   #345
Dubious Dick
Muse

If we can we will

get him to TAM11.

In meatime, thanks for the thoughts BIFF.

Glad some people take an interest! One aspect of this that was always amazing to me was how tough it was to get people to sit up and take notice of this story.

I mean, I know Bigfoot is important but it always amazes me that a Bigfoot thread would attract more attention than this. Anyway. That;'s Life as they say! And as long as there are guys like Techo around to have a drink with, we''ll muddle on!

All best to all who have taken an interest!
Old 18th July 2012, 04:42 PM   #346
Dubious Dick
Muse

Latest court appearances

18 July 2012

The following attended City of London Magistrates Court yesterday.

Gary Bolton - GT200. Deferred a plea awaiting sight of prosecution files. September Bail date.

Simon Sherrard - ALPHA6. Plead Not Guilty. September Bail Date.

Sam Tree and Joan Tree - Quadro Tracker/MOLE/GT200/ALPHA6. Plead Not Guilty. September bail Date.

Anthony Williamson - XK9. Plead Not Guilty. September Bail Date.

Further info as possible.

All best.

DD
Old 20th July 2012, 06:10 PM   #347
Dubious Dick
Muse

LATEST ON McCORMICK - ADE651

We are waiting for more details, but it appears McCormick was released on bail on Friday 13th July. He had been remanded in custody on 11 July when charged at City of London Magistrates Court.

We understand McCormick made a rather staged attempt to support his original bail application by holding up proceedings while he left the Court to take medicine.

We understand he made a special application for bail to a Judge in Chambers, and that this was granted. We guessed this might happen after Gary Bolton, Simon Sherrard, Sam Tree, Joan Tree and Anthony Williamson were granted bail on 12/7 when they were charged over other variants of the fraud (see previous posts).

It is a shame that McCormick is in a position to hire an expensive lawyer, and to get out of jail before his trial. Still, life now will be a lot less comfortable, and we assume stringent bail conditions have been imposed on a man who almost certainly salted money away from the ADE651 sales in various places around the World (again, see previous posts).
Old 24th July 2012, 11:00 AM   #348
Dubious Dick
Muse

A Brief History of The Fake Explosives Detectors Campaign

Just published at Skepticism-Uk.org

The new UK based Skeptical resource and Forums. Please support!

http://www.skepticism-uk.org/entry.p...ctors-Campaign
Old 28th July 2012, 02:50 AM   #349
Dubious Dick
Muse

Please Support Andres Tonini in Mexico

Some of you who have been following the story of the fake detectors will have heard of Andres Tonini. Andres has been valliantly battling to end the use of the GT200, the ADE651 and the ALPHA6 in Mexico.

If anyone has any contacts in Mexico who may be able to support his campaign that would be marvellous!

You can find his blog at (pLease note it is in Spanish).

http://lonjho.blogspot.co.uk/
Old 8th August 2012, 05:02 AM   #350
Dubious Dick
Muse

Latest news from mexico

I recently received the following emaol from Andres Tonini in Mexico. Please support Andres in any way you can.

EMAIL FROM ANDRES

Hello.

There are not significant advances.

If well the Senate finally aproved a exhort to ask to the President to "gather opinions and evaluations of research institutions and the scientific community interested can bring about the effectiveness and proper functioning of molecular detectors GT200, acquired by the Mexican government", his answer is completely voluntary. So, I don´t think anything will change soon.

http://www.senado.gob.mx/index.php?v...id=15123&lg=61

By the way, here's a picture of Felipe Calderón, the mexican president, watching the magic wand: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gobbc/5164515138/

And in my blog you can read a couple of phrases he has said about the GT200: http://lonjho.blogspot.mx/2012/06/el...n-emblema.html

About the charges against Bolton, McCormick and friends, well, until this day only two media mentioned the case. Yes, only two: a local newspaper and one who are only available on Internet. No main newspaper, radio and of course no TV station said a word on this. And If these two did it it's because the first note's author ha's been interested on the subject from time ago, and the second because, was alerted by some collegues by Twitter (along many other media and journalists which at best gave a retweet, or, as mostly did, just ignored it):

http://www.zocalo.com.mx/seccion/opi...es-moleculares
http://www.reporteindigo.com/reporte...or-de-mentiras

The military and local governments continue using these devices with no shame, of course:

http://lonjho.blogspot.mx/2012/05/fr...ya-exhibe.html
http://lonjho.tumblr.com/post/269620...mamento-abc-de
http://lonjho.tumblr.com/post/286482...na-de-canje-de
http://lonjho.blogspot.mx/2012/01/pi...-culiacan.html

I found a note mentioning some "molecular detector" has been using by mexican customs, however, I can´t say is the GT200 or ADE651. Anyway, here is:

http://lonjho.tumblr.com/post/285827...-pais-han-sido

As you can imagine, we aren't exactly happy.

Finally and for your archives, here's a new iteration of the ADE650: behold the ADE680:

http://www.888858888.com/en/product_view.asp?id=66

EMAIL ENDS

May I suggest bombarding your local Mexican Embassy/Consulate with emails. I have just sent the following to the Mexican Embassy in London:

mexuk@sre.gob.mx

FAKE EXPLOSIVES DETECTORS

We understand that various so called detectors e.g. GT200, ADE651 and ALPHA 6 are still in use in Mexico, despite widespread publicity and warnings that these devices cannot and do not work.

The sellers of the GT200, ADE651 and ALPHA 6 have all been arrested and charged with fraud in the U.K.

It is incredible that anyone still uses these devices!

We urge you to join the calls to end the use of these devices immediately.

Yours sincerely,
Peter Robinson
The Fake Explosives Detectors Campaign
Old 9th August 2012, 04:04 AM   #351
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dubious Dick View Post
Finally and for your archives, here's a new iteration of the ADE650: behold the ADE680:

http://www.888858888.com/en/product_view.asp?id=66
So who's manufacturing these, then?

Could it be a Chinese counterfeit of a device which is a fake anyway? The mind boggles...
Old 9th August 2012, 04:45 AM   #352
Drs_Res
NWO Acorn Hoarder

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer View Post

Could it be a Chinese counterfeit of a device which is a fake anyway? The mind boggles...

Quote:
ADE680 long-range explosives detector is a new portable screening devices. It can be dense crowd in the direction that the location of prohibited items for inspectors looking for prohibited goods to provide a great convenience. Britain's New Year by the professional development of its equipped with a variety of different types of contraband samples in order to make it applicable to different countries and regions. It's a very high sensitivity, detection range of up to 68 0 meters. Security sector is an ideal long-range detector. According to the needs of users and research and development of different samples of contraband, is now endemic in China for the development of black powder samples, in order to provide maximum security facilities.

ADE680 long-range detection of explosives used to detect explosives in a particular area and to determine whether its position that it can be Wall, a variety of metals, concrete, container seals, containers, vacuum bottles, soil, frozen layer of material, such as positioning. Detection range up to 680 m, can carry explosives and chemical and biological detection. SIM cards can be a variety of custom greatly to reduce the search time for exploration of the region . detectable material:

I wonder if the manual is as clear as that description above. (direct quote from the website and not a google translation.)
Old 9th August 2012, 05:06 PM   #353
Biff Starbuck
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer View Post

ATSC lists the 680 as one of the two current models (along with the 651) on its own page, but I don't see any description of how it is different than the 651. Presumably it is 29 better

http://www.atscltd.com/advanced-dete...nt-ade651.html
Old 9th August 2012, 08:17 PM   #354
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by Biff Starbuck View Post
Presumably it is 29 better
29 × 0 still equals 0

(Because neither of them should be on the market)
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2012, 09:38 AM   #355
Dubious Dick
Muse

Latest news on legal proceedings in uk

Please see latest news here:

Old 18th October 2012, 10:18 AM   #356
Dubious Dick
Muse

Latest On UK Fraud Trials

Please see here for latest news:

N.B. No revenue generated by this blog!
Old 18th October 2012, 03:27 PM   #357
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

That is good news.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2012, 04:50 PM   #358
dlorde
Philosopher

Excellent! I hope the news media pick up on this - BBC's Newsnight did a fraud report some while back, maybe they'd like to follow up on it...
Old 19th October 2012, 03:49 AM   #359
Dubious Dick
Muse

We wait and hope!

Now we just have to hope that the outcomes of the trials are the correct ones! Shame we have to wait till next year, but since we started the UK campaign back in 2008, and thought it would be all over quickly, guess a few more Months on tenterhooks is just about bearable.

Both McCormick and Bolton have hired heavy hitting Q.C. Barristers at what will be considerable cost estimated at potentially between £500 000 and £1 million each. If they are convicted, raises interesting questions regarding lawyers profiting from the proceeds of crimes!
Old 19th October 2012, 05:49 AM   #360
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Dubious Dick View Post
Now we just have to hope that the outcomes of the trials are the correct ones! Shame we have to wait till next year, but since we started the UK campaign back in 2008, and thought it would be all over quickly, guess a few more Months on tenterhooks is just about bearable.

Both McCormick and Bolton have hired heavy hitting Q.C. Barristers at what will be considerable cost estimated at potentially between £500 000 and £1 million each. If they are convicted, raises interesting questions regarding lawyers profiting from the proceeds of crimes!
Do you have any legislation about seizing the proceeds of crime? If so how much money did they make and do they have enough assets to pay the lawyers?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal