ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th June 2011, 09:31 PM   #321
Seymour Butz
Muse

Not to mention that it's an aluminum pan, not steel.
Seymour Butz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2011, 01:34 AM   #322
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Actually, I'm impressed that TMP is intelligent enough to fry an egg.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2011, 04:53 AM   #323
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by beachnut View Post
LOL

I wrote three comments - let's see if they survive:

Originally Posted by PapaOystein
So m,any errors:

0:28 "it's a steel pan" - no, it's an aluminium pan

0:33 "according to the 9/11 Commission..." The )/11 Comm. wasn't an engineering body and did nit look into the specifics of what happened in the fires at all. Moronc idea to refer to them.

0:38 "...the steel melted" - WRONG. The word "melt", "melted", or "molten", does not appear in the 9/11 Commission Report at all. No other official study claims that any steel at all melted.
---------
More errors:

Throughout: The assumtion that any part of the steel (or Al) at the stove would collapse when heated is moronic. Structural steel in a highrise is loaded to 20-30% of its load bearing capacity, the pan and the metal that it rests on to only a tiny fraction of a percent

The temperature of the flame is not the important factor that determines how hot the metal gets, only one of many.

In this experiment, nothing was measured: No temp, no load, no heat input (energy released by fire)..
------------
If anything of relevance had been measured at all, the experimenter would have found without a shadow of the doubt that the pan lost a part of its load bearing capacity, expanded, and deformed slightly during the experiment, all of which would validate all of the findings of real investigators.

Now question: Why do they put fireproofing on structural steel, but not on frying pans?
ETA: Ooh, so many spelling errors -.-
Oystein is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2011, 06:51 AM   #324
Philosopher

I kinda like the chiptune version of "Burning Down the House". That's about all I can say about it.

Last edited by 000063; 14th June 2011 at 06:53 AM.
000063 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2011, 11:04 AM   #325
NoahFence
Suspended

Quote:
There are multiple competing conspiracies within the withering Truther movement- what are some of the most absurd assertions you've ever heard?

Do a search on "ergo" and that'll be the one. Pick one.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2011, 07:31 AM   #326
hal5001
New Blood

why the fuss over whether the pan is steel or aluminium, they're pretty much the same...?
hal5001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2011, 08:36 AM   #327
Sunstealer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by hal5001 View Post
why the fuss over whether the pan is steel or aluminium, they're pretty much the same...?
I love the way he taps the pan on the work top as if it's a kind of proof that a) it's a pan. b) it's solid. c) it's steel!

I watched that vid with my jaw on the ground. How anyone can be this stupid I don't know.
Sunstealer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2011, 09:08 AM   #328
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Sunstealer View Post
I love the way he taps the pan on the work top as if it's a kind of proof that a) it's a pan. b) it's solid. c) it's steel!

I watched that vid with my jaw on the ground. How anyone can be this stupid I don't know.
Never underestimate the stupidity of truthers.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2011, 10:36 AM   #329
A W Smith
Philosopher

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Galileo:The jury said I didn't have any mental defects or diseases, they declared me 100% sane. Has a jury ever declared you sane?
Donít get me lolín off my chesterfield dude.
A W Smith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2011, 04:57 PM   #330
BaaBaa
Semi-literate hench-person

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dr-Jud...08768449187790

Any.Reply.To.Any.Post.

http://www.facebook.com/AbrahamHafizRodriguez

That guy. MAN!

"It's wonderful to see Dr. Wood's scientific exploration of that day get the exposure it deserves!"-Some Guy.

Yes. Yes it is.

Last edited by BaaBaa; 21st June 2011 at 04:58 PM.
BaaBaa is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2011, 08:01 PM   #331
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by A W Smith View Post
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
The guy in this video sounds like he may be developmentally disabled, but he still has more sense than Cicorp, because he could grasp what had actually happened.
Old 21st June 2011, 08:12 PM   #332
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pinch View Post
Chewy,

Cap't "Tiffany" Bob Balsamo fits right in to your description. His latest claim? The Pentagon 757 should have exhibited "clockwise damage" in its pattern of destruction since the right wingtip hit the building first.
What a freaking moron. The plane was described as being in a left bank. This means that the aircraft was rotating counter-clockwise So Captain Bobby expects the wall to reverse the rotation of the aircraft now? When weed is legalized, they had best keep whatever Bobby is smoking illegal. There is a limit to how badly we can let people damage their brains wihtout its having negative consequences for society.

Last edited by leftysergeant; 21st June 2011 at 08:13 PM.
leftysergeant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2011, 08:46 PM   #333
Animal
Master Poster

Originally Posted by RedIbis View Post
I wonder if Dave will pounce on you for mostly agreeing and essentially phrasing it the same way I did, namely: "Most fires in steel framed structures do cause some thermal expansion." This is what I stated I simply suspected.

Also, you've proven to be one of the more calm and civil posters I've encountered here, so we can have a productive discussion absent the invenctive, regardless of your unfortunate baseball loyalties.

I don't think I can restate it any more possible ways that I'm not contesting whether thermal expansion occurred in WTC 7, I'm questioning whether it resulted in what NIST said, since as you pointed out, thermal expansion happens in fires, why did it bring the bldg down in this one, since it's never brought a steel framed high rise down before?

My final point on this is that you are suggesting that the fires burned for 7 hours, do you actually think it burned in one location for that long? Of course it didn't so why suggest that the fires burned twice their rating, when the fire had to move around the floors to consume more fuel?
Most steel buildings are not built of sub stations and designed with large transfer beams / trusses that concentrate loads to a few columns.
Animal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2011, 02:21 AM   #334
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by RedIbis View Post
I wonder if Dave will pounce on you for mostly agreeing and essentially phrasing it the same way I did, namely: "Most fires in steel framed structures do cause some thermal expansion." This is what I stated I simply suspected.
Sorry, I missed this. Tri, since RedIbis wants me to be strictly consistent, I'll make the same point: any fire in a steel framed structure will cause some heating of the steel, and any heating of the steel will cause some thermal expansion. It may be too little to cause any structural problems, in which case it's perfectly reasonable for you to ignore it because it's of no relevance to how you choose to fight the fire; it may even be too little to measure. But it's inaccurate to say that some, or most, fires in steel structures will cause thermal expansion; any and all of them will cause at least some expansion.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2011, 03:22 AM   #335
Fly Poster
Thinker

I recently got asked if I had considered the possibility that WTC 7 had been pumped full of water, and that's why we heard no explosions, I kid you not.

... What's interesting is that EVERY person from the UK has turned out to be a perp. Amazing. And when you visit TheFlyposter's YouTube profile page, s/he's from the UK"
Fly Poster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2011, 03:49 AM   #336
Dave Rogers

Originally Posted by Fly Poster View Post
I recently got asked if I had considered the possibility that WTC 7 had been pumped full of water, and that's why we heard no explosions, I kid you not.
Please tell me you've got a link. Please. It's a perfect candidate for the Stundies.

Dave

Old 28th June 2011, 08:31 AM   #337
triforcharity
Banned

Linkey please? ( I think fly should get first dibs on a stundie. He would almost be a shoe-in for first prize. )
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2011, 09:26 AM   #338
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Originally Posted by Fly Poster View Post
That makes sense. If you were somehow able to fill it with water, it would collapse on its own...no explosives needed!

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2011, 03:01 PM   #339
Fly Poster
Thinker

Originally Posted by triforcharity View Post
Linkey please? ( I think fly should get first dibs on a stundie. He would almost be a shoe-in for first prize. )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRnW6FNZabo

ETA: A lot of the discussion was done through Youtube mail, but it is in the comments a bit.

... What's interesting is that EVERY person from the UK has turned out to be a perp. Amazing. And when you visit TheFlyposter's YouTube profile page, s/he's from the UK"

Last edited by Fly Poster; 28th June 2011 at 03:04 PM.
Fly Poster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2011, 03:29 PM   #340
Justin39640
Illuminator

Originally Posted by aggle-rithm View Post
That makes sense. If you were somehow able to fill it with water, it would collapse on its own...no explosives needed!
Hydro-thermite!
Old 29th June 2011, 09:20 AM   #341
EventHorizon
Atheist Tergiversator

Originally Posted by beachnut View Post
That this guy owns a gas stove and hasn't blown up his home yet is astonishing.
Old 29th June 2011, 11:49 AM   #342
twinstead
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Justin39640 View Post
Hydro-thermite!
Ah, but if you could fill it with used yeast extract and spread it on toast, it would be Vegethermite!

Last edited by twinstead; 29th June 2011 at 11:50 AM.
twinstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2011, 01:18 AM   #343
Dave Rogers

Originally Posted by twinstead View Post
Ah, but if you could fill it with used yeast extract and spread it on toast, it would be Vegethermite!
Even better - you could spread it on bread, and it would toast it for you.

Dave

Old 30th June 2011, 02:03 AM   #344
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Even better - you could spread it on bread, and it would toast it for you.

Dave
Now all we have to do is investigoogle how much energy per area unit a toaster applies to toast, then we can quickly calculate hiw thinly it needs to be spread

Let me do that quickly:
- A toaster toasts 4 leafs of bread in one go. That's 8 surfaces. Each surface is about 150cm2 (12.5x12.5, roughly estimated). So that's 1200cm2 toasted surface total.
- A toaster uses 1000W, full power.
-> That's 0.8W/cm2
- A toaster toasts for what - 100 seconds?
-> Toasts need 80J/cm2 to get toasted

- Nanothermite has an energy density of 1.5kJ/g
- Stochiastic thermite, perfectly packed, has a density of 4.2g/cm3.
-> energy density by volume is about 6300J/cm3

Now, to get 80J/cm2, a layer of spread nanothermite would have to be 80cm/6300 or 0.13mm = 130micron thin.
One might well argue that applying the heat directly to the toast is more efficient than the radiation a toaster applies from a few mm away, so let's be generous and say:

To get nicely toasted bread, you need to spread a layer of nanothermite 50 microns thin on it.

Have such layers of paintable nanothermite been found? Let's ask Harrit and the bunch, or rather look at page 9 of their paper:
Originally Posted by Harrit, Jones and friends
Thicknesses vary from roughly 10 to 100 microns for each layer (red and gray).
The conclusion is inevitable:

The red-gray chips are proof of the NWO's attempt to toast bread by nefarious means!
Oystein is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2011, 02:14 AM   #345
Sunstealer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by twinstead View Post
I prefer the original nano version - marmite

I did a (not very good) cartoon on the theme.
Sunstealer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2011, 04:29 AM   #346
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

I think you're onto something. After you pump the place full of water, you could unleash the trained piranha to tear the place down. Or better yet, fill it full of chickens and make chicken soup, which as we know is very destructive to microbes in your body so it would probably work equally well at destroying steel beams (truther logic). Maybe that's what Silverstein meant when he said "pullet."
Old 30th June 2011, 04:33 AM   #347
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stellafane View Post
...Or better yet, fill it full of chickens and make chicken soup, which as we know is very destructive to microbes in your body so it would probably work equally well at destroying steel beams (truther logic). Maybe that's what Silverstein meant when he said "pullet."
I lol'ed
But it's "poulet" (Yeah, I know, truthers wouldn't know what that is )
Old 17th July 2011, 11:25 AM   #348
Philosopher

From Screw Loose Change's comments;
Originally Posted by snug.bug
Have you ever filled a bottle from a hose? If you can do that, you can drill a hole in a box column and spray thermite inside. Take iron oxide primer paint and mix in aluminum glitter powder (sold in paint stores) and you have sprayable thermite.
000063 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2011, 01:42 PM   #349
Sam.I.Am
Illuminator

Originally Posted by 000063 View Post
Wrong thread. That goes here:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=213102

About my avatar.
Sam.I.Am is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2011, 01:52 PM   #350
Philosopher

Quote:
What are the finest examples of 9/ll Truther stupidity that you've ever encountered?
Oh no, it's staying right here. No reason I can't crosspost.
Old 17th July 2011, 02:17 PM   #351
George 152
Philosopher

As a window maker I can guarantee such cannot happen.
Windows are designed to keep weather out not to keep water contained
how much water would it would take to 'fill' a building and that weight involved.
Another "but surely the occupants of the building would have noticed"
George 152 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2011, 11:28 PM   #352
tempesta29
Muse

What about the guy who actually saw a steel pylon melting?
tempesta29 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2011, 12:13 AM   #353
Mudcat
Man of a Thousand Memes

Orbital death rays, directed ultra-sonics, magnetic thermite, UFO crash landing... at this point there isn't much I haven't heard that wouldn't take the cake were the cake not a lie.

But yeah, the UFO crash landing one is the most unique theory I ever heard.
Old 18th July 2011, 12:40 AM   #354
Sam.I.Am
Illuminator

Originally Posted by George152 View Post
As a window maker I can guarantee such cannot happen.
Windows are designed to keep weather out not to keep water contained
how much water would it would take to 'fill' a building and that weight involved.
Another "but surely the occupants of the building would have noticed"
The "weight" would be irrelevant. The outward pressure on the lobby windows would be about 600 psi. (A 10 foot x 1 inch column of water exerts ~4.4 psi at it's base).

About my avatar.
Sam.I.Am is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2011, 12:24 PM   #355
triforcharity
Banned

Blast windows. That's all I am saying.
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2011, 01:28 PM   #356
Sam.I.Am
Illuminator

To put it into perspective that's about 43 tons of pressure per square foot.

About my avatar.
Old 18th July 2011, 09:24 PM   #357
Drs_Res
NWO Acorn Hoarder

Transparent Aluminum !
Old 18th July 2011, 11:39 PM   #358
Sam.I.Am
Illuminator

Reynolds Aluminaut.

About my avatar.
Old 18th July 2011, 11:54 PM   #359
BaaBaa
Semi-literate hench-person

Finest? Probably not. Most favorite? Ooooooh, yeah!

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=169385
Old 1st February 2012, 08:25 AM   #360
cantonear1968
Graduate Poster

Sorry to drag out a six-month-dead thread, but I had a new one come up that I hadn't heard before and I thought it was worth sharing.

I accused you tube user quez76 of being a no-planer because he brought up the "nose out" video. Here was his response:

Quote:
i never said planes didnt hit the towers, im saying it wasnt the planes the news said it was...
So this bastion of academia believes the news media used fake footage of a plane hitting the WTC......
on a day when a plane hit the WTC!

Now, I kind of thought that would be the end of it. I thought pointing out how ridiculous and devoid of any logic this is, and how this "fake" footage just happened to coincide with every one who saw the plane impact the Tower, he would fold his cards and leave the table. But no! As I was writing this, here was his response:

Quote:
what the hell are you talking about? you cant speak for what everyone saw, they dont even know what hit the buildings. one person says this, the other person says that. all im saying is there are some fake footages, why? i dont why, but there are,
Now he is completely dismissing the thousands of live people who witnessed the plane impact the building!

There is a reason I do not engage no-planers and this is it. But I have never before had a no-planer who thought planes hit the buildings! This poor individual is completely mixed up in his thought process. I thought it was worth sharing.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
-Good luck America with President Trump
cantonear1968 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories