IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th September 2021, 12:26 PM   #3441
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Even if she is right and the US is a "heteropatriarchal" society, her comment is ugly, wrong, and demeaning. How many women and people of color were killed on 911? Does she think the Taliban/Al Qaeda doesn't want an even more "heteropatriarchal" society???

I have no issue whatsoever if she's "canceled". So be it.
Seems to me that you're okay with people being canceled when they say stuff you find offensive and otherwise not.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2021, 12:27 PM   #3442
lobosrul5
Master Poster

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
So what? Loads of scholarly ideas can be seen as ugly, wrong, and demeaning. A robust marketplace of ideas requires that they be allowed even when randos are offended on the internet.
Allowed? As in legally and without government censor, sure, I'm 100% with you. Allowed as in everyone who is affiliated with her must continue their affiliation? Nope.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2021, 12:30 PM   #3443
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Let's cancel a company for "cultural appropriation"!

They have trousers that look like you're showing your boxers, which is apparently racist if you're not black.

I'll be showing my kid later, because he's not black and has done it since he was 11. (now 30)

The big point to me in all this is where the story came from - TikTok.

Srsly? Is this where we are in 2021 - that some clown records a TikTok, which an opportunist seizes on for publicity, and people take it as something real?

Holy crap, the Apocalypse can't come soon enough.
As life-long, die-hard atheist, just let me say... A lot of these people need some jesus in their lives.
Old 14th September 2021, 12:32 PM   #3444
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elaedith View Post
Their response was correct, but I am not entirely confident they would use it consistently with points of view that are currently much less popular with their primary demographic.
Thankfully, tenure and free expression still matter at some schools. (I'm not sure if she is tenured, but respect for disparate views is along the same lines. It is a principle of academia that is under fire, no doubt. )

phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2021, 12:40 PM   #3445
lobosrul5
Master Poster

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Seems to me that you're okay with people being canceled when they say stuff you find offensive and otherwise not.

No. I'm OK with people being canceled by whomever finds their speech offensive so long as its not a government entity. If you find someone's speech reprehensible your free to say so and your free to make it known you won't do business with their employer, that's freedom of speech. The employer is free to terminate their employment, that's freedom of association. Whether I would maintain an association with her is irrelevant. This idea that anyone can say anything, suffer no consequences, and everyone must shrug their shoulders and carry on is quite frankly ludicrous and has probably never existed at any point anywhere in the world. I simultaneously hold the viewpoint that many times the calls to cancel someone is well below the threshold of reasonability... but I'm not the one to draw the line.

Her being an employee of what I think is a publicly funded university does complicate matters as far as her employment goes.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2021, 01:05 PM   #3446
d4m10n
Philosopher

Allowed as in everyone who is affiliated with her must continue their affiliation? Nope.
If scholars lose their teaching position for sharing specific offensive ideas, then publishing those ideas is effectively disallowed in scholarly circles.
Old 14th September 2021, 01:27 PM   #3447
lobosrul5
Master Poster

If scholars lose their teaching position for sharing specific offensive ideas, then publishing those ideas is effectively disallowed in scholarly circles.
As I said one post up (but not in my reply to you), if she's at a publicly funded university then that does complicate matters, since that makes her employed by the government. And if she's tenured then shes not an at-will employee.
Old 14th September 2021, 01:48 PM   #3448
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Elaedith View Post
Their response was correct, but I am not entirely confident they would use it consistently with points of view that are currently much less popular with their primary demographic.
Your skepticism is warranted.
Old 14th September 2021, 01:52 PM   #3449
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

smartcooky has a birthday
Thankfully, tenure and free expression still matter at some schools. (I'm not sure if she is tenured, but respect for disparate views is along the same lines. It is a principle of academia that is under fire, no doubt. )

Ok, so

An Astrophysicist with tenure can come out in support of Flat Earth?

A Virologist with tenure can make public statements in support of anti-vaccination?

A Geologist with tenure can openly support Young Earth Creationism and promulgate the bat-**** loony Noah's Flood Geology theories?

A Political Scientist with tenure can espouse support for fascism and extol the virtues of the Holocaust?

And all of the above can be done without facing any consequences from the University at which they had tenure? I promise you, even as just a High School teacher, if I had come out with any of that stuff, even back in the 1990's, I would have been given the DCM.
► Evolution is "survival of the fittest" - the fittest being those who are stronger, healthier and better adapted. Covid-19 has changed that. The fittest are now the well informed, logical, science believers who listen to the experts and get vaccinated.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!

Last edited by smartcooky; 14th September 2021 at 01:57 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2021, 01:59 PM   #3450
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Good!
► Evolution is "survival of the fittest" - the fittest being those who are stronger, healthier and better adapted. Covid-19 has changed that. The fittest are now the well informed, logical, science believers who listen to the experts and get vaccinated.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2021, 02:01 PM   #3451
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Good!
Old 14th September 2021, 03:11 PM   #3452
Carlotta
Muse

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Let's cancel a company for "cultural appropriation"!

They have trousers that look like you're showing your boxers, which is apparently racist if you're not black.

I'll be showing my kid later, because he's not black and has done it since he was 11. (now 30)

The big point to me in all this is where the story came from - TikTok.

Srsly? Is this where we are in 2021 - that some clown records a TikTok, which an opportunist seizes on for publicity, and people take it as something real?

Holy crap, the Apocalypse can't come soon enough.
This isn't racist, but is still cultural appropriation. That underwear is plaid. This is clearly appropriation of Scottish culture!!
Carlotta is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2021, 05:37 PM   #3453
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

No. I'm OK with people being canceled by whomever finds their speech offensive so long as its not a government entity. If you find someone's speech reprehensible your free to say so and your free to make it known you won't do business with their employer, that's freedom of speech. The employer is free to terminate their employment, that's freedom of association. Whether I would maintain an association with her is irrelevant. This idea that anyone can say anything, suffer no consequences, and everyone must shrug their shoulders and carry on is quite frankly ludicrous and has probably never existed at any point anywhere in the world. I simultaneously hold the viewpoint that many times the calls to cancel someone is well below the threshold of reasonability... but I'm not the one to draw the line.

Her being an employee of what I think is a publicly funded university does complicate matters as far as her employment goes.
I think that online shaming can be dangerous, with the retribution much greater than the offense.

I also think universities (even private ones like Syracuse) have an obligation to stand up for free expression of ideas, even quite onerous ones.

Old 14th September 2021, 05:51 PM   #3454
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Is this the story you meant to share?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1919315.html
Yes it was, thanks!

I'm not sure how that slipped through, so good work.
Old 14th September 2021, 05:55 PM   #3455
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Again. Good!

Why is there any need to share all offensive ideas? The world would be a lot better off without racism, sexism, bigotry and persecution of minorities.

Last edited by smartcooky; 14th September 2021 at 05:57 PM.
Old 14th September 2021, 06:45 PM   #3456
d4m10n
Philosopher

Why is there any need to share all offensive ideas?
Ask any atheist in the U.S. why offensive ideas ought to be protected speech.

(Come to think of it, ask anyone with unpopular ideas which happen to be true.)

Last edited by d4m10n; 14th September 2021 at 06:47 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2021, 07:22 PM   #3457
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Ask any atheist in the U.S. why offensive ideas ought to be protected speech.
You missed a word!

And (as usual) you snipped out the second part; the part you couldn't answer - the part that gave the first part, context.

(Come to think of it, ask anyone with unpopular ideas...)
Oh, moving the goalposts now are we... subtly changing "offensive" to "unpopular".

...ideas which happen to be true.)
Oh, its true that racism, sexism, bigotry and persecution of minorities are good things? Really? Is that what you believe?

(see what happens when you deliberately snip out context in order to create a strawman?)

Last edited by smartcooky; 14th September 2021 at 07:30 PM.
Old 14th September 2021, 07:35 PM   #3458
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

You missed a word!

And (as usual) you snipped out the second part; the part you couldn't answer - the part that gave the first part, context.
The thing is, we just might not agree on which ideas the works is better off without.

Worse than that. In practice, popular opinion will decide which ideas we're better off without. In the past, popular opinion held that atheism, miscegenation and various human rights were offensive enough we could do without them. It may be that you agree with popular opinion today, but what about tomorrow?

I reckon academic freedom is too important to subject it to the whims of political correctness. The problem isn't that academia is teeming with racists. The problem is that a careful academic will either restrict himself to inoffensive comments or avoid such touch subjects altogether. And maybe there's no promise that truth is inoffensive. At least, we shouldn't assume so.

Old 14th September 2021, 07:52 PM   #3459
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

The thing is, we just might not agree on which ideas the works is better off without.

Worse than that. In practice, popular opinion will decide which ideas we're better off without. In the past, popular opinion held that atheism, miscegenation and various human rights were offensive enough we could do without them. It may be that you agree with popular opinion today, but what about tomorrow?

I reckon academic freedom is too important to subject it to the whims of political correctness. The problem isn't that academia is teeming with racists. The problem is that a careful academic will either restrict himself to inoffensive comments or avoid such touch subjects altogether. And maybe there's no promise that truth is inoffensive. At least, we shouldn't assume so.

But at least we can decide that some ideas are so offensive that people who promote them ought to be cancelled/smacked down.

Sixteen European countries and Israel have laws against Holocaust denial. Germany and Austria seem to have done that quite successfully - and the sky hasn't fallen in.
Old 14th September 2021, 08:00 PM   #3460
d4m10n
Philosopher

Oh, its true that racism, sexism, bigotry and persecution of minorities are good things?
Which proposed academic cancellation featured any of those things?
Old 14th September 2021, 08:31 PM   #3461
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Which proposed academic cancellation featured any of those things?
Oh, I don't know... how about... the last one you posted!

Your skepticism is warranted.

The school’s announcement did not include the professor’s name or describe the language used but The Tab Syracuse, a social media account that covers Syracuse University news, posted a photo of a syllabus that references the coronavirus as both the “Wuhan flu” and “Chinese Communist Party Virus.”

Syracuse’s full statement said:

“Syracuse University unequivocally condemns racism and xenophobia and rejects bigotry, hate and intolerance of any kind.

The derogatory language used by a professor on his course syllabus is damaging to the learning environment for our students and offensive to Chinese, international and Asian-Americans everywhere who have experienced hate speech, rhetoric and actions since the pandemic began.

Dear oh dear... forgot to check what the link actually said before you posted it huh?

Oops!!

Last edited by smartcooky; 14th September 2021 at 08:32 PM.
Old 14th September 2021, 08:47 PM   #3462
d4m10n
Philosopher

Are you seriously claiming that naming a virus after its supposed place of origin implies a belief in the racial inferiority of the people living there?

Ever heard of the Spanish FluWP? Should I be cancelled for daring to type that out?

(In my defense, I've more ancestors from Spain than any other single European nation.)

Last edited by d4m10n; 14th September 2021 at 08:49 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2021, 09:36 PM   #3463
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Are you seriously claiming that naming a virus after its supposed place of origin implies a belief in the racial inferiority of the people living there?
You'd have to ask the racist bastard who wrote that in a ******* teaching syllabus for chemistry. Seriously, you think that is acceptable?

How about I write a syllabus for teaching a US history class, and refer to black people as n-words, Chinese people as "chinks", Latinos as "spics" and Mexicans as "beaners". All OK with you? What about another history syllabus for WWII and the Holocaust, and I refer to the Jews as "Kikes". All good?

Ever heard of the Spanish FluWP? Should I be cancelled for daring to type that out?

(In my defense, I've more ancestors from Spain than any other single European nation.)
If you knew anything at all about history, you would know that it did NOT originate in Spain. It probably originated in France, but it is not known for certain. If you have as much Spanish heritage as you claim, I am surprised you didn't already know this.

Now, you can call it what you like, but I would expect.. actually no, I would demand that someone writing a scholarly paper or teaching syllabus would use the correct term for it; The Great 1918 Influenza Pandemic, or the 1918 H1N1 Influenza A pandemic.

ETA: and I would demand that a Professor writing a scholarly paper or teaching syllabus would use the correct term for the current pandemic... Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) - I would accept Covid-19 later in the paper so long as the full correct name is used at some point early in the paper.

Last edited by smartcooky; 14th September 2021 at 10:15 PM.
Old 14th September 2021, 11:39 PM   #3464
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

The school’s announcement did not include the professor’s name or describe the language used but The Tab Syracuse, a social media account that covers Syracuse University news, posted a photo of a syllabus that references the coronavirus as both the “Wuhan flu” and “Chinese Communist Party Virus.”

“Syracuse University unequivocally condemns racism and xenophobia and rejects bigotry, hate and intolerance of any kind.

The derogatory language used by a professor on his course syllabus is damaging to the learning environment for our students and offensive to Chinese, international and Asian-Americans everywhere who have experienced hate speech, rhetoric and actions since the pandemic began.

Dear oh dear... forgot to check what the link actually said before you posted it huh?

Oops!!

You allow the freedom of speech defence for a leftist professor who proclaims 9/11 was an attack on the patriarchy and (at least somewhat) justified, yet not to a professor who calls covid the Wuhan flu? Really?

Many people predicted that Syracuse would act differently when a rightist professor caused offence. They were correct. And to me the level of offence of the leftist professor was extreme, the rightist professor not so much.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 12:55 AM   #3465
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
You allow the freedom of speech defence for a leftist professor who proclaims 9/11 was an attack on the patriarchy and (at least somewhat) justified, yet not to a professor who calls covid the Wuhan flu? Really?
Did I?

Really?

Are you talking about the link posted by d4m10n re: Jenn M Jackson? If so, you must be confusing me with someone else. I have made absolutely no mention of her whatsoever. I have not even commented on her one way or the other.

However, since you asked, if you want my view of her, she is a ******* idiot who needs to keep her racist, froot-loopy opinions to herself, and not infect her students with that kind poison. Does she really think that all the 2,977 people who died and the 6000+ injured, in the 9/11 attacks were all white males?

Is what she said offensive? Absolutely yes. Telling the families of the victims that their loved ones' murders were justified is deeply offensive. AFAIC any speech that attempts to diminish the suffering and tragedy of that day is offensive. Those people who worked in the towers, the passengers in the planes and the first responders - they didn't deserve what happened to them, and they do not deserve to have their memories besmirched by some opportunistic, swivel-eyed feminazi* especially during their week of remembrance.

Should she have been taken to task for what she said? Definitely - her bosses ought have ripped her a new one for her idiocy. Should she have been fired? I'm 50/50 on that, but would not argue against it if she was.

* Oh, and before you get your panties in a bunch about my use of the term "feminazi", I use it specifically to mean "An extremist, radical, militant feminist who is intolerant of opposing views and/or who espouses a philosophy that women should be dominant over men."

I believe in gender equality, NOT gender superiority!

Last edited by smartcooky; 15th September 2021 at 01:07 AM.
Old 15th September 2021, 01:30 AM   #3466
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Did I?

Really?

Are you talking about the link posted by d4m10n re: Jenn M Jackson? If so, you must be confusing me with someone else. I have made absolutely no mention of her whatsoever. I have not even commented on her one way or the other.

However, since you asked, if you want my view of her, she is a ******* idiot who needs to keep her racist, froot-loopy opinions to herself, and not infect her students with that kind poison. Does she really think that all the 2,977 people who died and the 6000+ injured, in the 9/11 attacks were all white males?

Is what she said offensive? Absolutely yes. Telling the families of the victims that their loved ones' murders were justified is deeply offensive. AFAIC any speech that attempts to diminish the suffering and tragedy of that day is offensive. Those people who worked in the towers, the passengers in the planes and the first responders - they didn't deserve what happened to them, and they do not deserve to have their memories besmirched by some opportunistic, swivel-eyed feminazi* especially during their week of remembrance.

Should she have been taken to task for what she said? Definitely - her bosses ought have ripped her a new one for her idiocy. Should she have been fired? I'm 50/50 on that, but would not argue against it if she was.

* Oh, and before you get your panties in a bunch about my use of the term "feminazi", I use it specifically to mean "An extremist, radical, militant feminist who is intolerant of opposing views and/or who espouses a philosophy that women should be dominant over men."

I believe in gender equality, NOT gender superiority!
Fair enough. I was reading between the lines, but I think I had a reasonable belief to do so. The latest Syracuse event was posted in the context of the earlier. As I didn’t see you condemning Jackson, while condemning the unnamed professor, I assumed you must have given her Twitter the tick. Instead it looks like you just missed Jackson’s tweet.

So apologies.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 02:41 AM   #3467
angrysoba
Philosophile

ETA: and I would demand that a Professor writing a scholarly paper or teaching syllabus would use the correct term for the current pandemic... Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) - I would accept Covid-19 later in the paper so long as the full correct name is used at some point early in the paper.
Nitpick: SARS-CoV2 is the name of the virus. Covid-19 is the name of the disease.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 03:21 AM   #3468
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Nitpick: SARS-CoV2 is the name of the virus. Covid-19 is the name of the disease.
You got me on a technicality
Old 15th September 2021, 03:34 AM   #3469
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Oops!!

I confess I hadn't read that. One should be punished for injecting politics into a Chenier syllabus. Unlike d4m10n, that's how I regard this incident.

Last edited by phiwum; 15th September 2021 at 03:36 AM.
Old 15th September 2021, 04:31 AM   #3470
d4m10n
Philosopher

You'd have to ask the racist bastard who wrote that in a ******* teaching syllabus for chemistry.
You've dodged my question. Here it is again:

Is it reasonable to infer racism from associating a place name with an outbreak?

Seriously, you think that is acceptable?
There is plenty of conceptual space between perfectly acceptable and so highly unacceptable that someone should lose their health insurance during a pandemic.

How about I write a syllabus for teaching a US history class, and refer to black people as n-words, Chinese people as "chinks", Latinos as "spics" and Mexicans as "beaners".
Do you really believe these are good comparisons, given that racial epithets clearly have racial animus built in?

If you knew anything at all about history, you would know that it did NOT originate in Spain.
You literally quoted the phrase "supposed place of origin" at the top of #3463.

Can you see how that differs from actual place of origin?

Last edited by d4m10n; 15th September 2021 at 04:34 AM.
Old 15th September 2021, 04:35 AM   #3471
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

You’d have to be a chemistry professor to get this stuff right.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 04:43 AM   #3472
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Is it reasonable to infer racism from associating a place name with an outbreak?
Yes.

There is plenty of conceptual space between perfectly acceptable and so highly unacceptable that someone should lose their health insurance during a pandemic.
This is just gobbledegook

Do you really believe these are good comparisons, given that racial epithets clearly have racial animus built in?
Yes

You literally quoted the phrase "supposed place of origin" at the top of #3463.
And?

Can you see how that differs from actual place of origin?
Nope
Old 15th September 2021, 04:45 AM   #3473
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I confess I hadn't read that. One should be punished for injecting politics into a Chenier syllabus. Unlike d4m10n, that's how I regard this incident.

Of course. Trump started calling it the "China virus" because he's a ******* racist. His sycophantic disciples in the GOP followed suit

Since the Professor who is under scrutiny not only called it the "Wuhan Flu", he also called it the "Chinese Communist Party Virus", I would put money on him being at least a MAGA CHUD.

Last edited by smartcooky; 15th September 2021 at 04:53 AM.
Old 15th September 2021, 05:02 AM   #3474
d4m10n
Philosopher

Yes.
Should the NYT fire whomever wrote this headline?

Last edited by d4m10n; 15th September 2021 at 05:07 AM.
Old 15th September 2021, 05:26 AM   #3475
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Should the NYT fire whomever wrote this headline?
That is a 19 month old headline, Feb 2, 2020.

Couldn't you find anything more recent? No? Well of course not. That was when the outbreak was new, and very little was known about what we were dealing with.

Nice try though!

Want to take a guess what the US Covid 19 death toll was when that article was published? I'll tell you.. it was.... 0

Want to take a guess how many cases of Covid 19 the US was dealing with when that article was published? I'll tell you.. it was.... 0

Now to answer your question. A headline like that would not get past the editor now, and if it did, I would expect heads to roll.

Last edited by smartcooky; 15th September 2021 at 05:27 AM.
Old 15th September 2021, 05:30 AM   #3476
angrysoba
Philosophile

Yes.
That would be bad news for people saying "Ebola virus", "Marburg virus", "Nipah virus", "Hendra virus" and "Lassa Fever". Most virologists, in fact would be sacked.

I'm pretty sure I have seen reputable virologists saying "Spanish flu" as well, even if the outbreak may have started in Kansas.

But those are established names and they all appear in the literature, and can and have been used without stigma, so I wouldn't say it is racist as such to use those terms

But in the charged context in which this professor used it, Wuhan Flu and Chinese Communist Party Virus is so obviously politicized and likely bigoted that I can definitely see a lecturer being disciplined for unprofessionalism.

There is not much point trying to play the "well how do we know...?" game with this one.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 05:40 AM   #3477
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

That would be bad news for people saying "Ebola virus", "Marburg virus", "Nipah virus", "Hendra virus" and "Lassa Fever". Most virologists, in fact would be sacked.

I'm pretty sure I have seen reputable virologists saying "Spanish flu" as well, even if the outbreak may have started in Kansas.

But those are established names and they all appear in the literature, and can and have been used without stigma, so I wouldn't say it is racist as such to use those terms

But in the charged context in which this professor used it, Wuhan Flu and Chinese Communist Party Virus is so obviously politicized and likely bigoted that I can definitely see a lecturer being disciplined for unprofessionalism.

There is not much point trying to play the "well how do we know...?" game with this one.
Free speech and inquiry at universities and colleges is always a bit of a tightrope walk. In the interest of intellectual curiosity, these institutions usually espouse a level of intellectual freedom that seems unusual compared to other spheres. Then again, we know that these systems are not, in fact, free for all. The academic system is one that rewards some and not others, and plenty of levers such as the tenure system ensure that some voices are elevated while others are silenced. The multi-year tenure track is little more than an extended interview process in which an academic is evaluated on many axis, mostly on the academic rigor and merit of their work. This is explicitly an editorial process on behalf of the university.

There's a lot to be said about the nuance of what counts as legitimate scholarship and what doesn't, but this case really doesn't strike me as a good example. It's obviously not academically rigorous.

"Wuhan Flu" is on its face simply unintellectual and not worthy of serious consideration. It's not an influenza virus, this is unquestionable. This term, and even more so "Chinese Communist Party Virus" does not exist in usage outside of right wing rags attempting to smear a political enemy. The usage of an academic platform for non-academic speech is blatantly inappropriate.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 15th September 2021 at 05:46 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 05:46 AM   #3478
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
"Wuhan Flu" is on its face simply unintellectual and not worthy of serious consideration. It's not an influenza virus, this is unquestionable. This term, and even more so "Chinese Communist Party Virus" does not exist in usage outside of right wing rags attempting to smear a political enemy. The usage of an academic platform for non-academic speech is blatantly inappropriate.

Exactly, but you see, even if you are 99.999999% sure he is a racist SOB, if there is even a 0.000001% chance that he's not, benefit of the doubt MUST be given, and we have to be fair and balanced for both si......

....oh yuck, I just about want to puke even thinking about that pathetic apologist crap!

Last edited by smartcooky; 15th September 2021 at 05:49 AM.
Old 15th September 2021, 05:50 AM   #3479
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

But it's easy to understand why modern naming schemes are increasingly differing from this older system. Naming the disease after location of first discovery is an imprecise system and perpetuates misunderstandings.
Old 15th September 2021, 05:53 AM   #3480
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

This is another example of the "cancel culture" warriors complaining about a standard of free speech that has never existed.

Outside of self-published crank rags, editorial decisions have always remained an important element of must serious thought, either academically or journalistically. Making assessments about what does or does not get published is a huge part of these systems. Editors at newspapers have more influence on viewpoint at a given publication than those writing the articles. Likewise the academic system that elevates or diminishes specific academics has more impact than individual scholars.

Cancel culture warriors will try to frame their complaints as one criticizing the very existence of these editorial standards which have always existed, but what they are really complaining about is that their preferred world-view is no longer receiving preferential treatment that is once did. They mourn the loss of a system where their preferred bigotries have been treated as acceptable, while the controversial opinions of their ideological enemies have routinely been shut out.

These people are losing in the clash of ideas and being relegated to increasing irrelevancy. Instead of re-evaluating their positions, they are attacking the legitimacy of the system itself and proposing that the very act of judgement or editorial/academic standards is improper.

There is no better example of this than Beri Weiss, who once bragged about her role in running out anti-zionist academic voices at her university, but now makes a steady living crying that cancel culture won't let her brand of conservative opinion run unopposed.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 15th September 2021 at 06:00 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events