IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , vaccination

View Poll Results: Have you been vaccinated?
Yes, I am fully vaccinated. 158 85.41%
I have received 1 vaccination shot 17 9.19%
No, I intend to but haven't got around to it. 3 1.62%
No, There are personal medical reasons that I should not receive the vaccine 1 0.54%
No, COVID is a hoax. The vaccine is part of some Communist plot. 4 2.16%
No, God will protect me. You cannot trust science. 2 1.08%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5th July 2021, 02:59 PM   #1
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Have you been vaccinated?

I'm curious as this has political implications. Have you been vaccinated?
Old 5th July 2021, 03:02 PM   #2
surrogate
Critical Thinker

Yes, Pfizer.
surrogate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2021, 03:06 PM   #3
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, as has my husband and daughter (Moderna and Pfizer), my sister and her Republican husband (Pfizer), my brother-in-law and his wife (Moderna), their daughters (one Moderna and J&J for the one who was pregnant at the time) and all my friends.

Happily, Oregon achieved 70% vaccinated the other day.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2021, 03:17 PM   #4
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

House Moderna.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2021, 03:30 PM   #5
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Before I answer, I'd like to know what "political implications" you have in mind, and what you're actually trying to figure out, here.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2021, 03:36 PM   #6
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Before I answer, I'd like to know what "political implications" you have in mind, and what you're actually trying to figure out, here.
Pretty obvious to me. Use your knowledge of which party's members have mocked getting vaccinated for a 'hoax' virus.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2021, 03:37 PM   #7
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

My partner and I are vaccinated. Dad, mom, step-dad, brother, sister-in-law, nephews, aunt, uncle, and cousin.

Other in-laws, who were a vector for infecting my brother, SiL, and one nephew and lost a family member to that same outbreak chain, have largely not vaccinated.

I met a few (SiL's parents) briefly in passing last weekend at the tail end of a gathering with some family (hadn't seen in 10 or so months). They had just been to a cookout fundraiser to build a new church. There was some kind of malfunction with the grills, so the pastor had everyone pray. Then the canopy caught fire. I refrained from making some observations.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 5th July 2021 at 03:41 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2021, 03:42 PM   #8
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Pretty obvious to me. Use your knowledge of which party's members have mocked getting vaccinated for a 'hoax' virus.
Hopefully acbytesla's curiosity doesn't boil down to bigoted stereotypes and confirmation bias. Perhaps you should do him a favor and let him speak for himself.

Also it seems the poll doesn't expose who voted what. So a party line breakdown isn't really possible. Either acbytesla hasn't thought this through, or you haven't. Which would you say it is?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2021, 03:46 PM   #9
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
House Moderna.
Same here.

Of my family, only my less-than-12 year old daughter isnít fully inoculated yet.
Old 5th July 2021, 03:48 PM   #10
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Hopefully acbytesla's curiosity doesn't boil down to bigoted stereotypes and confirmation bias.
Whatís the bigoted stereotype?
Old 5th July 2021, 03:50 PM   #11
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Hopefully acbytesla's curiosity doesn't boil down to bigoted stereotypes and confirmation bias. Perhaps you should do him a favor and let him speak for himself.

Also it seems the poll doesn't expose who voted what. So a party line breakdown isn't really possible. Either acbytesla hasn't thought this through, or you haven't. Which would you say it is?
Yeah, but what are your politics?
Old 5th July 2021, 03:55 PM   #12
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think there should be. But I have heard people in Castle Rock say that COVID is a hoax. There seems to be a lot of GOP members who are dismissive of the health crisis. I actually expect everyone to on ISF to say they have been vaccinated. But maybe I'm wrong.
Old 5th July 2021, 04:13 PM   #13
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I don't think there should be. But I have heard people in Castle Rock say that COVID is a hoax. There seems to be a lot of GOP members who are dismissive of the health crisis. I actually expect everyone to on ISF to say they have been vaccinated. But maybe I'm wrong.
I actually expect most ISF members to say nothing one way or the other.
Old 5th July 2021, 04:24 PM   #14
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Same here.

Of my family, only my less-than-12 year old daughter isnít fully inoculated yet.
Your 12 yo daughter has hers then, yes?

As does my 12 yo son (remember they are about the same age)
Old 5th July 2021, 04:37 PM   #15
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I think he just did. Of course, you could try and change his post to say something else.

Oh, look...one person (so far) has chosen "No, Covid is a hoax".

Bigoted stereotype, you say?

"Some claims mentioned that COVID-19 vaccine is a Ďtotal hoaxí."

"On November 14, a South Dakota nurse named Jodi Doering... highlighted a real crisis in hospitals around the country, especially in red states where governors have refused mask mandates and the presidentís false claims about the virus are taken as gospel.

In interviews with the Cut, 12 nurses described dealing with COVID-denying patients, from ones who simply refused treatment to those who spit or coughed on them and recited conspiracy theories about the virus."

Covid-19: The Greatest Hoax in History: The startling truth behind the planned world takeover Paperback Ė September 29, 2020
by Dr Vernon Coleman (Author)

"A woman who allegedly live-streamed video inside a hospital to claim Covid-19 was a hoax has denied a public order offence."

"Ted Nugent has tested positive for COVID-19, after referring to the pandemic as a "hoax" on several occasions.
"It's not a real pandemic and that's not a real vaccine, I'm sorry," he falsely argued in another video posted on Christmas."

"A Facebook video filmed live on Dec. 1 and viewed over 6,000 times shows the speaker alleging that the coronavirus pandemic is a scam, that pneumonia is not linked to COVID-19 and that a vaccine against the novel coronavirus will deliver a microchip to the recipient."
Old 5th July 2021, 04:40 PM   #16
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

As there are over 32,000 ISF members, you're highly likely to be correct about this.
Old 5th July 2021, 04:42 PM   #17
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Yep, Moderna. Though, given the immunosuppressant I'm on (for psoriatic arthritis) any vaccine may tend to be less effective. Whole household now all V'd up.
Old 5th July 2021, 04:44 PM   #18
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I meant those that respond.
Old 5th July 2021, 04:47 PM   #19
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

As there are over 32,000 ISF members, you're highly likely to be correct about this.
Even if we just count currently active members. If acbytesla had made the votes visible, we might see how much of a political nothingburger this poll actually is.
Old 5th July 2021, 04:49 PM   #20
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Even if we just count currently active members. If acbytesla had made the votes visible, we might see how much of a political nothingburger this poll actually is.
Sorry, I rushed it.
Old 5th July 2021, 04:50 PM   #21
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I meant those that respond.
What exactly are the political implications of half a dozen people who share your politics responding to a poll about their politics?
Old 5th July 2021, 05:23 PM   #22
d4m10n
Philosopher

Vaccinated during Moderna trials, late 2019.
Old 5th July 2021, 05:29 PM   #23
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Vaccinated during Moderna trials, late 2019.
Ummm, didnít Moderna trials start in June of 2020?

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2021, 05:29 PM   #24
d4m10n
Philosopher

Ummm, didnít Moderna trials start in June of 2020?
Sorry, late 2020.

What year is this?
Old 5th July 2021, 05:30 PM   #25
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Sorry, late 2020.

What year is this?
Tuesday.

Old 5th July 2021, 05:32 PM   #26
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Psst. Don't tell anyone but the First Person in Canada to get a Vaccine Shot has Just Died.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/gisele-l...died-1.5496112

Of course she was 89.
Old 5th July 2021, 05:36 PM   #27
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

What exactly are the political implications of half a dozen people who share your politics responding to a poll about their politics?
Are you suggesting that COVID hasn't been politicized? That the vaccination rates in Red states and rural areas isn't less than in Blue states and urban areas?
Old 5th July 2021, 05:38 PM   #28
mgidm86
Philosopher

2019?

Ya of course I'm vaccinated. Only an ignorant, self-involved tool wouldn't get vaccinated at this point. I have no problem admitting it here, I wonder why others do.

Got it in March soon as I could. Everyone in my family has it, even the hard core conservatives.

Hundreds of millions are vaccinated around the world, the numbers are going down in places that have higher numbers of vaccinated folk. There's no weird side effects. Get the gawddamn shot.

Surely no ISF member is foolish enough not to be vaccinated by now. I see one person complaining about the thread but, nah.

ETA:
The political implications might be - ya right like I really need to explain that.

Last edited by mgidm86; 5th July 2021 at 05:40 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2021, 06:43 PM   #29
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

You really don't want a correlation between vaccination and political affiliation made, do you? Sorry, too late. It's been done.
Old 5th July 2021, 06:48 PM   #30
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Psst. Don't tell anyone but the First Person in Canada to get a Vaccine Shot has Just Died.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/gisele-l...died-1.5496112

Of course she was 89.
Even though she died of natural causes, I bet the anti-vax nuts " will be claiming "Woman who had Covid 19 shot dies!" leaving out the "natural causes" part. Honest, they are not.
Old 5th July 2021, 06:55 PM   #31
d4m10n
Philosopher

Tuesday.
Anyhow, I got a shirt.

Old 5th July 2021, 07:31 PM   #32
Susheel
Master Poster

Got my first shot a couple of weeks ago.
Old 5th July 2021, 08:07 PM   #33
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

I was vaccinated -- I think I've already mentioned this here in one of the threads -- in February (1) and March (2). I got the Moderna vaccine, administered at the VA Hospital on Kingsbridge Road in the Bronx, USA. I don't know about 'political implications,' but Biden beat trump by 83% to 17% in the Bronx last Fall. My wife and I stood on line for two-and-a-half hours to cast our votes. Totally worth it. The only thing we couldn't figure out? trump did a lot better in the Bronx than we expected. A lot better.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2021, 08:24 PM   #34
sackett
Philosopher

Covid vaccine resisters are a menace to public health, and they assert their right to be that. There you have a political stance.

Nobody has the right to endanger others. Let them quibble, haver, deny, and defy all they want.

Me, I'd like to hunt them down. No, not with hot lead, although if they arm themselves that might change, but with high-velocity paintball guns. Odorized paint, don't you think? That would help identify them in the dark.

Yeah, sure, I'm just kidding. Hell yes I am.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2021, 08:58 PM   #35
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

JayJay
Old 6th July 2021, 12:42 AM   #36
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

smartcooky has a birthday
Oh FFS, just stop your incessant whining! Answer the poll or don't. Nobody cares either way what you do,
► Evolution is "survival of the fittest" - the fittest being those who are stronger, healthier and better adapted. Covid-19 has changed that. The fittest are now the well informed, logical, science believers who listen to the experts and get vaccinated.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!

Last edited by smartcooky; 6th July 2021 at 12:43 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2021, 04:12 AM   #37
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Your 12 yo daughter has hers then, yes?

As does my 12 yo son (remember they are about the same age)
Daughter is less than 12, so no vaccine. Son is more than 12, so vaccinated.

We still generally mask up as a family because of the unvaccinated daughter for both anti-transmission reasons and moral support.
Old 6th July 2021, 04:36 AM   #38
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
2019?

Ya of course I'm vaccinated. Only an ignorant, self-involved tool wouldn't get vaccinated at this point. I have no problem admitting it here, I wonder why others do.

Got it in March soon as I could. Everyone in my family has it, even the hard core conservatives.

Hundreds of millions are vaccinated around the world, the numbers are going down in places that have higher numbers of vaccinated folk. There's no weird side effects. Get the gawddamn shot.

Surely no ISF member is foolish enough not to be vaccinated by now. I see one person complaining about the thread but, nah.

ETA:
The political implications might be - ya right like I really need to explain that.
I bet I could name a member who hasn't.

Meanwhile, all in the family Mike! have been vaxed.

Last edited by Mike!; 6th July 2021 at 04:38 AM.
Mike! is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2021, 04:41 AM   #39
ToddH
Critical Thinker

All vaccinated in my household, including my 13 year old son.
ToddH is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2021, 07:18 AM   #40
Warp12
Graduate Poster

I am getting my first shot this week. I would have liked to have gotten it sooner, tbh.

Since the vaccine isn't required by law, I support an individual's right to make a choice. Even if I may not agree with their decision or the reasoning behind it.

Making it about politics seems rather silly to me. But to each their own.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics