IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , vaccination

View Poll Results: Have you been vaccinated?
Yes, I am fully vaccinated. 157 85.33%
I have received 1 vaccination shot 17 9.24%
No, I intend to but haven't got around to it. 3 1.63%
No, There are personal medical reasons that I should not receive the vaccine 1 0.54%
No, COVID is a hoax. The vaccine is part of some Communist plot. 4 2.17%
No, God will protect me. You cannot trust science. 2 1.09%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17th July 2021, 10:46 AM   #161
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Caroline13 View Post
Door to Door Gestapo Is Coming..... Not to MY DOOR.

We might as well be in China and/or North Korea
I realize you are probably exaggerating deliberately, but in general, I'm troubled by this kind of rhetoric. The US isn't anywhere near China or North Korea. It veered dangerously close towards the Nazi Germany ditch for four years, but the strong reaction to that seems to have stabilized it, at least for now. But China and North Korea? I always find it to be either really ignorant, or incredibly disrespectful to the people living under those regimes.

Read up on how China has handled the corona pandemic. They literally boarded up peoples' doors and windows. In the US, authorities have been struggling to get people to wear masks and maintain social distancing.

Police officers beating up peaceful protesters? Polling places closing to keep "the wrong people" from voting? The sitting president inventing election fraud and inciting his followers to storm the Capitol? The way people reject science and journalism, while conspiracy theories grow more and more mainstream? That's the things you should worry about if you fear the US turning into a dictatorship.

People showing up to your door to sing the praises of the vaccine, like a couple Mormon missionaries asking you if you've heard of the Lord and saviour? That's pretty low on the list.

Quote:
Question: when none of this happens, will that make you reconsider your sources and your worldview? I keep hearing of these things that will happen, like Trump returning like he's the Messiah or something, some huge Nuremberg-like trial of the people in charge of vaccination, or Obama killing all the Christians, or but they never materialize. When this happens, does it not make you ask yourself if maybe you're being manipulated?

Quote:
Vit C, Vit D, Zinc, Quercetin, Grape Seed Extract does the job.
I understand the appeal in believing this. Believe me, I do, I wish it worked this way, too. A pandemic is a chaotic, large, and scary situation, and we all wish there were simple solutions like just taking your vitamins or buying some specific supplement. Unfortunately, it isn't that easy, as evidenced by four million having succumbed to covid so far.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2021, 11:25 AM   #162
Belz...
Fiend God

Yeah the Gestapo is well known for making suggestions and then leaving you be.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2021, 11:52 AM   #163
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
When you cannot make a rational argument hyperbole is the obvious diversion.
Old 17th July 2021, 12:04 PM   #164
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Often, here in Winter, when the Gestapo local police stop you for a sobriety check, they'll give you an ice scraper for your car windows. There is no end to their abuse!
Old 17th July 2021, 12:09 PM   #165
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Often, here in Winter, when the Gestapo local police stop you for a sobriety check, they'll give you an ice scraper for your car windows. There is no end to their abuse!
I have a shovel, icr scraper and snow brush in my car 365 days a year. Up here you never know.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2021, 11:51 AM   #166
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
I even hear tell they'll feed you cold soup!!!

A wait... that was The Gaspacho, sorry.

Last edited by The Man; 18th July 2021 at 11:52 AM.
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2021, 01:21 PM   #167
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
I even hear tell they'll feed you cold soup!!!

A wait... that was The Gaspacho, sorry.

Now, that's funny. (And I'm assuming you misspelled 'gazpacho' on purpose. )
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2021, 01:40 PM   #168
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Now, that's funny. (And I'm assuming you misspelled 'gazpacho' on purpose. )
Thanks, yep the spelling of Gaspacho was intentional. Though, apparently it is a Portuguese spelling of the name. However, the misspelling of "Ah" as just "A" wasn't intentional .
Old 18th July 2021, 03:45 PM   #169
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I received my second shot today. Glad I did. It was the pharmacy's last dose of the Pfizer vaccine.
Old 18th July 2021, 04:07 PM   #170
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I received my second shot today. Glad I did. It was the pharmacy's last dose of the Pfizer vaccine.
Happy V2 day then, hope no ill effects come your way. Mine was suppose to be the J&J single dose, but then they put a hold on it at that time. So they gave us the Moderna instead. Never noticed anything on either shot, except for the first one, my tinnitus seemed a bit to the higher side of normal.
Old 18th July 2021, 04:28 PM   #171
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Happy V2 day then, hope no ill effects come your way. Mine was suppose to be the J&J single dose, but then they put a hold on it at that time. So they gave us the Moderna instead. Never noticed anything on either shot, except for the first one, my tinnitus seemed a bit to the higher side of normal.
The pharmacist said some people feel out of sorts. He said he felt that way the day after his second dose. But I have always been skeptical when people attribute not feeling well to something specific. As if they know the reason for how they are feeling.

You know. Post hoc, ergo propter hoc.

But we will see.
Old 18th July 2021, 07:21 PM   #172
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

The pharmacist said some people feel out of sorts. He said he felt that way the day after his second dose. But I have always been skeptical when people attribute not feeling well to something specific. As if they know the reason for how they are feeling.

You know. Post hoc, ergo propter hoc.

But we will see.
I think it is a typical enough result and given there is a sensible and plausible enough explanation for that outcome to assign it some provisional credibility.

A good number of the symptoms of any viral infection are your own body's natural defenses at work. A substance intended to simulate the presence of a virus would be expected to bring on such symptoms as mild fever, aches, and fatigue. Your body is trying to make the guest feel unwelcome.

I have heard it described as a form of self-induced low-grade chemotherapy.

Also, resources typically used to keep you operating at full capacity are being used to mass-produce immune system components. Like a country mobilizing for war, sorry no ball bearings for passenger vehicles right now, we need to build tanks.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 18th July 2021 at 07:26 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2021, 07:44 PM   #173
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
I think it is a typical enough result and given there is a sensible and plausible enough explanation for that outcome to assign it some provisional credibility.

A good number of the symptoms of any viral infection are your own body's natural defenses at work. A substance intended to simulate the presence of a virus would be expected to bring on such symptoms as mild fever, aches, and fatigue. Your body is trying to make the guest feel unwelcome.

I have heard it described as a form of self-induced low-grade chemotherapy.

Also, resources typically used to keep you operating at full capacity are being used to mass-produce immune system components. Like a country mobilizing for war, sorry no ball bearings for passenger vehicles right now, we need to build tanks.
Low grade chemotherapy? I don't buy that description. I've done a lot of volunteering for the American Cancer Society. It and Planned Parenthood are the two charities I give to every year.
I have spent a lot of time with patients particularly children undergoing chemo. People's reaction to chemo are almost immediate and usually involves vomiting, hair loss and sometimes other symptoms.

The mRNA vaccine is absolutely nothing like chemo.
Old 18th July 2021, 09:18 PM   #174
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Low grade chemotherapy? I don't buy that description. I've done a lot of volunteering for the American Cancer Society. It and Planned Parenthood are the two charities I give to every year.

I have spent a lot of time with patients particularly children undergoing chemo. People's reaction to chemo are almost immediate and usually involves vomiting, hair loss and sometimes other symptoms.

Jesus christ, it's an analogy.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2021, 12:14 AM   #175
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Not all chemo has those side effects. My mom underwent 3 years of chemo for cervical cancer and never got sick or lost her hair. It all depends on the type of chemo drugs that are used.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2021, 09:44 PM   #176
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post

Yep, one of the problems of being on immunosuppressants, as some of us are here. Vaccines tend to be less effective. As the very immunological response they are intended to invoke is somewhat suppressed by such medications. I stopped taking them for the 2 vaccine times, but there is still a system residual.
Old 21st July 2021, 09:57 PM   #177
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Does this help answer your question? The CPAC audience cheered when it was mentioned that the country failed to meet the July 4th vaccination goal.

And I've been castigated for calling Trump supporters idiots. I will continue to do so because they are.
What's wrong with calling idiots idiots?
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2021, 10:39 PM   #178
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
What's wrong with calling idiots idiots?
Old 22nd July 2021, 07:19 AM   #179
Cain
Straussian

Why should Trump supporters take the vaccine if Joe Biden's just going to get the credit? That makes no logical sense.
Diablo: You're a lousy bigot. Apologise and withdraw that remark.
Cain: Nah.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2021, 08:45 AM   #180
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Why should Trump supporters take the vaccine if Joe Biden's just going to get the credit? That makes no logical sense.
Good point. Dying for Trump is a worthy cause.
Old 22nd July 2021, 08:50 AM   #181
slyjoe
Master Poster

Good point. Dying for Trump is a worthy cause.
I wish they would hurry up and get it over with.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2021, 10:19 AM   #182
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

You just know that's how a fair few of them think.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2021, 10:24 AM   #183
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yeah the problem with just letting Darwinism take its course is that the Trumpsters will still manage to stay alive just long enough before dying to show up the libs for new variants and strains to emerge.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2021, 12:12 PM   #184
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I just saw a Louisiana man, sick with Covid in the hospital, asked if he regrets not getting vaccinated. His answer: No. He said that when he gets out, he still won't get vaccinated. When asked why, his answer was that he's tired of the government trying to shove vaccines down everyone's throat.

This kind of thinking is just stupid. He's literally choosing possible death because he doesn't want 'to be told what to do'. I wonder if he feels the same way about seat belt, helmet, drinking while driving, etc. laws. Does he resent the government 'telling him what to do' when it comes to getting a driver's license, a passport, permits, paying taxes, or any of the other thousands of things the government 'tells us what to do'?

He's obviously politicized getting a vaccine in his mind. Thanks GOP!
Old 23rd July 2021, 12:51 PM   #185
Cain
Straussian

At least he's not being a drain on taxpayers. It's like the Founders said: Live Free and Die.
Diablo: You're a lousy bigot. Apologise and withdraw that remark.
Cain: Nah.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2021, 01:03 PM   #186
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I just saw a Louisiana man, sick with Covid in the hospital, asked if he regrets not getting vaccinated. His answer: No. He said that when he gets out, he still won't get vaccinated. When asked why, his answer was that he's tired of the government trying to shove vaccines down everyone's throat.

This kind of thinking is just stupid. He's literally choosing possible death because he doesn't want 'to be told what to do'. I wonder if he feels the same way about seat belt, helmet, drinking while driving, etc. laws. Does he resent the government 'telling him what to do' when it comes to getting a driver's license, a passport, permits, paying taxes, or any of the other thousands of things the government 'tells us what to do'?

This lady said EXACTLY the same thing.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 23rd July 2021, 05:06 PM   #187
mgidm86
Philosopher

The Democrats need to get the message out that, according to Joe Biden, people should not point loaded guns at their own heads and pull the trigger. He should do a press conference right now.

Last edited by mgidm86; 23rd July 2021 at 05:13 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2021, 01:57 PM   #188
dirtywick
Illuminator

He's not even being told what to do, he's tired of being given recommendations
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2021, 04:00 PM   #189
Caroline13
Suspended

NO jabs, no face diapers and that goes for my family, good friends and Me. And we are all fine. THe pressure from my grandkids family (cousins etc is sickening)...
Caroline13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2021, 04:02 PM   #190
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

NO jabs, no face diapers and that goes for my family, good friends and Me. And we are all fine. THe pressure from my grandkids family (cousins etc is sickening)...
Old 24th July 2021, 04:26 PM   #191
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

That's right. You know better.
Old 24th July 2021, 05:08 PM   #192
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Most of the unvaccinated are Trump supporters. If we maintain a slow drain of dying Trump supporters from COVID-19 until summer of 2022 and get some really good spikes around the 4th of July and Labor Day, it could be a great thing for the country in Texas, Ohio, Wisconsin, Florida, Arizona and Georgia. If enough Trump supporters die, it could offset the voting restrictions in most of those states. We can always get immigrants to replace the dead Trump supporters. They're better Americans anyway.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2021, 05:15 PM   #193
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

The stupidity of the anti-vaxxers never ceases to amaze me. The fact that over 99% of those dying from Covid are unvaccinated would convince a normal person to get it. But, no....not Trump supporters-conspiracy theorists- just plain stupid people. They think they know more than the epidemiologists and doctors. They are so stupid they don't know they're stupid. In fact, they're proud of their stupidity. I almost feel sorry for them. Almost. I hope every single one of them gets Covid and ends up on ventilators regretting their choice. But, they're like the one guy I saw on TV who's in the hospital with Covid but he still says he wouldn't have gotten a shot knowing how sick he'd get. You can't fix stupid.
Old 24th July 2021, 05:38 PM   #194
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Imagine being sickened, because relatives don't want you to get sick or die? (How awful.)
Old 24th July 2021, 05:50 PM   #195
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
You just know that's how a fair few of them think.
I wouldn't exactly call it thinking.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2021, 05:56 PM   #196
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Where do you stand on Darwin?
Old 24th July 2021, 05:58 PM   #197
kevbo
Thinker

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Most of the unvaccinated are Trump supporters. If we maintain a slow drain of dying Trump supporters from COVID-19 until summer of 2022 and get some really good spikes around the 4th of July and Labor Day, it could be a great thing for the country in Texas, Ohio, Wisconsin, Florida, Arizona and Georgia. If enough Trump supporters die, it could offset the voting restrictions in most of those states. We can always get immigrants to replace the dead Trump supporters. They're better Americans anyway.
A friend of mine and I were discussing this earlier today. What a bunch of maroons. We might be better off without them.
kevbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2021, 05:59 PM   #198
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

NO jabs, no face diapers and that goes for my family, good friends and Me.
I would imagine that your friends and family are humoring you so you will shut up already.

Quote:
And we are all fine.
I would imagine some of them are fine because they're vaccinated.

Quote:
THe pressure from my grandkids family (cousins etc is sickening)...
What's sickening is anti-mask, anti-vax, anti-science cement-headedness.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2021, 06:01 PM   #199
kevbo
Thinker

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Where do you stand on Darwin?
Maybe a blanket Dawin Award on their tombstones. Too many for individual awards.
kevbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2021, 06:02 PM   #200
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Combine that with my idea to require trophy hunters to hunt each other, and things could really start improving.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics