IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: For the article Supernatural
thank you 0 0%
I hope my article is reviewed 0 0%
I am waiting for your opinion, dear ones 0 0%
Hoping for your success and health 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Old 10th August 2021, 12:58 PM   #201
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,884
Further to post 193, which says the Quran says at verse 21.30 God made every living thing of water. Muhammad clearly stole this from Genesis 1.20 from the bible.

https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Genesis-1-20/
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2021, 02:11 PM   #202
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 10,518
Originally Posted by heydarian saeed View Post
Dear friend of the association; You have the right to choose and you can choose other meanings of the word. But keep in mind the goal. It wants to motivate us to explore science and the unknown. He wants to motivate us to always progress and evolve by achieving science. Is this a good idea and thought?
No it is not a good idea at all. You are doing science backwards which is very wrong. You cannot choose the meanings for words to make the text say what you want. That is not scientific. That is only playing games with words.

Here is an example. You have two words next to each other from the Quran text and each of them has ten meanings. That means for just those two words alone you will have 100 combinations of meanings they could say together. Yet you pick only one of those and say it is the only correct meaning. The other 99 meanings are ignored because they don't support your theory.

If you had three words, the number of meanings will be 1000. Four words, 10000, You are using a whole Quran with thousands of words, which makes the number of meanings you can choose many MANY millions. Huge numbers of choices. And yet you choose just one meaning because that is the one that fits your theory.

This is not science at all. It is a serious mistake called "cherry-picking", choosing only the data you like personally. And this is why we say you are doing science backwards. You have a result you already want and now you are trying to justify it using a holy book. You could just as easily used The Rubaiyat, or the Shahnameh, or today's copy of Hamshahri, to get the same result.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2021, 03:10 PM   #203
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,884
Originally Posted by heydarian saeed View Post
The Qur'an speaks of neutron stars - of dark matter and dark energy - of space black holes, and so on.
No it doesn't. I suspect you have been reading Muslim propaganda that tries to make something out of obscure verses.

Originally Posted by heydarian saeed View Post
Who could have said that in the seventh century? Muhammad was illiterate! So who told him the Quran? wait ...
It was probably his uncle who taught him the bible and other things. Then when his uncle said he was a false prophet Muhammad wrote a surah condemning his uncle and his uncles wife to hell . Surah 111
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2021, 03:30 PM   #204
Warp12
Graduate Poster
 
Warp12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1,743
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Islamic evangelism really needs to up its game. At the very least, "know your audience" should be part of basic prep.
Perhaps he does know his audience.
__________________
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." - Henry David Thoreau
Warp12 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2021, 03:37 PM   #205
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,884
Here is the Yusuf Ali translation of surah 21.30
' Do not the unbelievers see that the heaven and earth were joined together before we clove them asunder.'

This does not mean that Muhammad was right about the big bang, because the aftermath of the big bang only created hydrogen atoms. These atoms compressed and ignited as the first stars. Then billions of years later some of these stars exploded and ejected heavy atoms that were created inside them into space. Only then could planets form out of these heavy atoms. The earth was not created for the first ten billion years.

Therefore the heaven and earth were not joined together as the Quran says. Verse 21.30 does not describe the big bang.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2021, 03:47 PM   #206
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...
 
turingtest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Embedded and embattled, reporting from Mississippi
Posts: 4,994
Whether it's Christians or Muslims doing it, it's still just selective interpretation of bits of scriptures to make them say what sounds like science. It doesn't seem like much of an advertisement for any religion's claim to primacy as a source of knowledge to say that the "science" in it can only be understood as such by the light of what actual science, as a process, later comes up with. And, apparently, there's more to come- there are still further "predictions" in scriptures of things science will say one day that will be seen as revelations by...waiting for science to tell us what was being said.
__________________
I'm tired of the bombs, tired of the bullets, tired of the crazies on TV;
I'm the aviator, a dream's a dream whatever it seems
Deep Purple- "The Aviator"

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King

Last edited by turingtest; 10th August 2021 at 04:37 PM. Reason: clarify and emphasis
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2021, 04:22 PM   #207
Scorpion
Master Poster
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,884
Originally Posted by heydarian saeed View Post
Continuation of the method: Dr. Henri Corbin, the famous French Islamologist, has an interesting speech about the Qur'an. He says: If the Qur'an was superstitious and not from God, he would never have dared to invite human beings to knowledge, reason and thought. No thought has called man to knowledge as much as the Qur'an of Muhammad (PBUH) to the extent that about nine hundred and fifty times in the Qur'an, science, reason and thought have been mentioned.
Quran surah 5.101 says not to ask questions, because you might become a disbeliever.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2021, 07:46 PM   #208
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 13,896
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Quran surah 5.101 says not to ask questions, because you might become a disbeliever.
That was certainly my main takeaway when I read the Quoran - don't ask questions, and don't have anything to do with people who do. Which means, to me, don't do science, and don't have anything to do with scientists.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2021, 08:14 PM   #209
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher
 
Roger Ramjets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,549
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Further to post 193, which says the Quran says at verse 21.30 God made every living thing of water. Muhammad clearly stole this from Genesis 1.20 from the bible.

https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Genesis-1-20/
As did Christians. But copyright law didn't exist back then, so it was perfectly legal!
__________________
We don't want good, sound arguments. We want arguments that sound good.
Roger Ramjets is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2021, 10:59 PM   #210
heydarian saeed
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 383
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
You have ignored post 86 where I quote a hadith that proves Muhammad thought the sun orbits the earth. As for there not being a west and east on a flat earth you are talking nonsense. A flat earth still has a north, south, east, and west.
Hello. You are probably not familiar with geometry and geometric shapes and spheres. A sphere has infinite diameter. And the vertex of each diameter on each side can be a west-east-north and south. As the earth is spherical and has infinite geographical directions. In the Qur'an, the word plural is used for east and west. That is, it tells us exactly the spherical shape of the earth. Your skepticism about the sun's rotation around the earth stems from the fact that you have seen or heard something from Greek times.And do you think he has said this in the Qur'an? No, sir, this is not the case. Even you do not know its address in the book of Quran to tell me in which surah or verse it says that the sun revolves around the earth? Now listen to me tell you where these bugs come from?:
Verses 38 and 40 of Surah Yasin speak of the types of rotation of the sun (longitudinal and rotational) in its fixed orbit, not its rotation around the earth, and it is an honor for the Qur'an to mention the types of rotation of the sun hundreds of years ago. In other verses, such as verse 40 of Surah Ma'arij, the sphericity of the earth and its rotation around the sun is mentioned and confirms this meaning. We have 4 verses in the Qur'an that say that the earth is spherical.Some Orientalists consider the movement of the sun in these verses to mean the movement of the sun around the earth, which at the time of the revelation of the Qur'an was considered as the scientific description of the movement of the planets, and considered it contrary to the findings of astronomy today. They have to prove the conflict between the Qur'an and science and its immortality!This is while in these verses we are talking about "the types of rotation of the sun (longitudinal and rotational) in its fixed orbit and not its rotation around the earth."
I have no advice for you for the Quran. Just talk to the science and the address and the document. Nothing is proven by what is said and heard. With great respect and thanks
heydarian saeed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2021, 11:16 PM   #211
heydarian saeed
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 383
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
That was certainly my main takeaway when I read the Quoran - don't ask questions, and don't have anything to do with people who do. Which means, to me, don't do science, and don't have anything to do with scientists.
Hello and best regards. I was very happy that you said the verse and the surah. In answering you, I can search better. Thank you again.
At the time of this verse; Muhammad used to talk to people about Hajj. Someone asked: Is Hajj obligatory every year or only once in a lifetime? The Prophet did not answer. He asked many times, the Messenger of God said: What is all this insistence for? If I say: "Every year, the work becomes difficult for you", until I have raised an issue, you should not ask: "One of the causes of the destruction of the previous nations was their misplaced questions".
And in verse 43 of Surah An-Nahl, he says: Although what we do not know, we should ask his people (the people of knowledge), "Ask the people of remembrance that you do not know." From the faults of others, or military secrets, etc.
Therefore, it is very good to ask questions, and we have 950 verses in the Qur'an for knowledge and asking, which it recommends. But the misplaced question not only does not clarify the issue, but also causes bad events to happen.
Thanks
heydarian saeed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2021, 11:23 PM   #212
heydarian saeed
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 383
Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
Whether it's Christians or Muslims doing it, it's still just selective interpretation of bits of scriptures to make them say what sounds like science. It doesn't seem like much of an advertisement for any religion's claim to primacy as a source of knowledge to say that the "science" in it can only be understood as such by the light of what actual science, as a process, later comes up with. And, apparently, there's more to come- there are still further "predictions" in scriptures of things science will say one day that will be seen as revelations by...waiting for science to tell us what was being said.
Hello. You said excellent.
I also did not want to propagate my religion or the Qur'an. I just said that the method of proving the supernatural is the discussion of this association. Because I am a Muslim, I prefer to quote from the Bible of our religion, the Qur'an, and prove the supernatural to you with modern science and existential philosophy. This. But my friends in the association have a lot of questions about Islam and the Qur'an and they ask, and I have a duty to answer as much as I can. Thanks again for your beautiful thinking.
heydarian saeed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2021, 11:45 PM   #213
Susheel
Master Poster
 
Susheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Hyderabad, India
Posts: 2,281
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Perhaps he does know his audience.
Can you elaborate on this or can we regulate it to the category of contentless posts that you now and then whinge about?
__________________
I've got to get to a library...fast Robert Langdon
Susheel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2021, 11:59 PM   #214
heydarian saeed
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 383
... Continuation of the article-method;
I will write you some examples of Quranic verses with brief scientific explanations:
You may be surprised, like me, to know that the eleven important scientific truths discovered in the last century were revealed by the Qur'an 1400 years ago.
The unique feature of our time is that it is called the age of space because man has been able to discover many dazzling truths of the created world and change the way we look at the world around us. It is strange to see that these facts are clearly stated in a book that was revealed 1400 years ago. At a time when astronomy was nothing but astrology, deception, superstition and myth.
A supreme and supreme force has placed these scientific facts in his book to guide those who doubt its legitimacy to find the light of truth through it. And seek to discover science. These eleven scientific truths are:
heydarian saeed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 12:02 AM   #215
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 13,896
Originally Posted by heydarian saeed View Post
Hello. You are probably not familiar with geometry and geometric shapes and spheres.
It is clear from the gibberish that follows that you are the one not familiar with geometry and geometric shapes and spheres.

For example:

Quote:
A sphere has infinite diameter.
Wrong. The diameter of the earth, for example is 12,742 km.

North, south, east and west could be used just as easily to specify directions and co-ordinates on a flat earth as a spherical one. That you don't realise this suggest profound scientific ignorance.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 12:03 AM   #216
heydarian saeed
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 383
1. How the world of creation began؛
One of the most important discoveries of scientists in the twentieth century is to discredit the idea of ​​the primordial and eternal nature of the world. They have proven with convincing scientific evidence that the creation of the universe began with a terrible explosion known as the "BIG BANG." Investigations into the details of the blast are ongoing. They say: The universe was originally a single mass that exploded and has taken its current form over millions of years.
A physicist named Higgs claims that a fundamental particle formed after the Big Bang that gave mass to atoms. (In the model we have for the particle model, particles are assumed to be massless, and according to the mechanism proposed by Higgs to explain the mass of particles, there are particles that the rest of the particles become massive when they come in contact with it.)
In 2011, nuclear physicists at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at the CERN Underground Laboratory (CERN) near the Swiss-French border, which refracted proton beams at the speed of light, creating conditions in which A fraction of a second after the Big Bang, they discovered the Higgs boson stem particle. (And this particle, after the same scientist, was called "Higgs". While others have called it "God's particle"!) And it changed the world of physics. (Although 1,600 trillion collisions have been created in the tunnel so far, only less than 300 potentially Higgs particles have been potentially discovered in these collisions.)...
heydarian saeed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 12:15 AM   #217
Warp12
Graduate Poster
 
Warp12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1,743
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Islamic evangelism really needs to up its game. At the very least, "know your audience" should be part of basic prep.
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Perhaps he does know his audience.
Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
Can you elaborate on this or can we regulate it to the category of contentless posts that you now and then whinge about?
He has found a very willing audience and participants.

The thread has 215 posts, 3200 views, going on 7 pages, preaching about the Quran, and he is engaging others to quote the scripture. I'd say he has found the perfect place to present his message, and engage in debate.

I'm pretty sure that was at least part of the goal. After all, he could be presenting his information to a forum of believers.
__________________
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." - Henry David Thoreau
Warp12 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 12:18 AM   #218
heydarian saeed
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 383
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
It is clear from the gibberish that follows that you are the one not familiar with geometry and geometric shapes and spheres.

For example:



Wrong. The diameter of the earth, for example is 12,742 km.

North, south, east and west could be used just as easily to specify directions and co-ordinates on a flat earth as a spherical one. That you don't realise this suggest profound scientific ignorance.
Today, accurate measurements show that the Earth's equatorial diameter is 43 km larger than its polar diameter. In fact, the Earth's equatorial diameter is 12,756 km and its polar diameter is 12,713 km. In my discussion, I discussed the shape of the sphere in general. And that it has been proven in the Qur'an that the earth is in the shape of a sphere. Details are not in my field of science and I do not need to know. And in response to the question of the flatness of the earth and the problems that the friends of the association took from the Qur'an, I explained. For detailed knowledge about the shape and diameter of your earth, refer to respected scientists in this field. It is good that we want science to learn and progress, not to stonewall and hinder progress.
heydarian saeed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 12:24 AM   #219
heydarian saeed
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 383
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
He has found a very willing audience and participants.

The thread has 215 posts, 3200 views, going on 7 pages, preaching about the Quran, and he is engaging others to quote the scripture. I'd say he has found the perfect place to present his message, and engage in debate.

I'm pretty sure that was at least part of the goal. After all, he could be presenting his information to a forum of believers.
Thank you very much. I aim; Submitting an article to prove the supernatural. Through modern science - Quran and existential philosophy. Of course, there is nothing wrong with us talking about related issues. "Freedom of speech" is not it, is it? thank you again
heydarian saeed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 12:26 AM   #220
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 10,518
Originally Posted by heydarian saeed View Post
Today, accurate measurements show that the Earth's equatorial diameter is 43 km larger than its polar diameter. In fact, the Earth's equatorial diameter is 12,756 km and its polar diameter is 12,713 km. In my discussion, I discussed the shape of the sphere in general. And that it has been proven in the Qur'an that the earth is in the shape of a sphere.
Sorry, but you did not show the Quran proves this at all.
Quote:
Details are not in my field of science and I do not need to know. And in response to the question of the flatness of the earth and the problems that the friends of the association took from the Qur'an, I explained.
Sorry, but you did not explain this at all. You have not even tried to answer the problems you have created.
Quote:
For detailed knowledge about the shape and diameter of your earth, refer to respected scientists in this field. It is good that we want science to learn and progress, not to stonewall and hinder progress.
But this is exactly what you are doing here. You do not address the questions and do not provide answers. You tell us that we need to ask scientists about scientific facts. The people in this forum are those scientists. They KNOW these facts. They are telling you.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 11th August 2021 at 12:29 AM.
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 12:27 AM   #221
heydarian saeed
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 383
Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
Can you elaborate on this or can we regulate it to the category of contentless posts that you now and then whinge about?
Hi. You mean the article, sir? Or do you want to talk about something else? I am at your service to answer as much as I can.
heydarian saeed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 12:34 AM   #222
heydarian saeed
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 383
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Sorry, but you did not show the Quran proves this at all.
Sorry, but you did not explain this at all. You have not even tried to answer the problems you have created.
But this is exactly what you are doing here. You do not address the questions and do not provide answers. You tell us that we need to ask scientists about scientific facts. The people in this forum are those scientists. They KNOW these facts. They are telling you.
Hi. It does not say details in the Qur'an. Of course, in some verses it explains a little more. But the main purpose of the narrator of the Qur'an, who is God, is to motivate man and motivate him to discover science and the unknown. That is why you think that the Qur'an or I, who am sending you the Qur'an, have not given you the answer. No, it is not. I have said the article and the answer. You look at it without prejudice. And do not take a stand. I have said everything necessary to answer the questions. think. And respond with a document.
heydarian saeed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 12:41 AM   #223
heydarian saeed
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 383
I know the purpose of your numerous questions, friends of the forum. And why do you ask questions regularly? And asking questions is great for learning. I have not just entered this field to return and move. I have been thinking about the Qur'an and its subjects for 50 years, and I am always looking for something new and learning, of course, in accordance with the science of the day. I am at your service to answer. Wishing success and health to all of you friends ...
heydarian saeed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 12:56 AM   #224
junkshop
Thinker
 
junkshop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Inside the house
Posts: 184
Originally Posted by heydarian saeed View Post
I have said everything necessary to answer the questions. think. And respond with a document.
Wow, that's some A-grade arrogance you've got going on there, sweetheart.
junkshop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 12:57 AM   #225
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 13,896
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
He has found a very willing audience and participants.

The thread has 215 posts, 3200 views, going on 7 pages, preaching about the Quran, and he is engaging others to quote the scripture. I'd say he has found the perfect place to present his message, and engage in debate.

I'm pretty sure that was at least part of the goal. After all, he could be presenting his information to a forum of believers.
You're right, this is a good place to find people who will actually read and respond to this sort of nonsense. It's not a good place to make converts, however, as theprestige observed. So whether it's the right place for the OP to post depends on whether he wants to convince people, or just get attention. For me, the jury is still out on that.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 01:50 AM   #226
Michel H
Master Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 2,288
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
You're right, this is a good place to find people who will actually read and respond to this sort of nonsense. It's not a good place to make converts, however, as theprestige observed. So whether it's the right place for the OP to post depends on whether he wants to convince people, or just get attention. For me, the jury is still out on that.
But the opening poster did make some progress, since he is now quoting others individually.

It is not surprising that there are some discussions about religion in the "General Skepticism and The Paranormal" subforum (still doing its job).

To convince others, it is perhaps useful to avoid being rude.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 03:04 AM   #227
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming
 
MarkCorrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 10,168
Heydarian why did you ask for surah and verse quotes from me and then ignore the postss where I gave them?

You're still assuming that you have "shown" the Quran claims the earth is round. You're wrong, you've done no such thing. You've made it plain you don't understand geometry and are apparently unaware that the cardinal directions are just human inventions based upon mapping that can equally be applied to a flat earth as to a round (ish) one.
__________________
Naturalism adjusts it's principles to fit with the observed data.
It's a god of the facts world view. -joobz

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 03:07 AM   #228
heydarian saeed
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 383
... Continue the method; Some scientists prefer to use more precise terms such as "disconnection" to describe this phenomenon instead of the word "big bang". In any case, what is important is that by fabricating these terms, they are trying to express the fact that the universe was originally a single interconnected mass (Qur'anic term; kanta ratqa means continuous) and then its components were separated from each other. (Quranic term; separation means separated) and then the stars, galaxies, the earth, etc. came into being.
The Qur'an has surpassed Western scientists in expressing the phenomenon of the beginning of creation in a very precise way.
The Qur'an says exactly the same thing 1,400 years ago
Which scientists have achieved. Note this verse:
(Surah Al-Anbiya ', verse 30)
Translation: "... The heavens and the earth were joined together, and We separated them."
This begs the question: At the time of the revelation of the Qur'an (seventh century), who knew that the world was first a single mass, then separated, and then the present world came into being? Is he none other than the supreme force that surrounds everything? Who is he? Where did his knowledge come from?
heydarian saeed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 03:14 AM   #229
heydarian saeed
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 383
Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
Heydarian why did you ask for surah and verse quotes from me and then ignore the postss where I gave them?

You're still assuming that you have "shown" the Quran claims the earth is round. You're wrong, you've done no such thing. You've made it plain you don't understand geometry and are apparently unaware that the cardinal directions are just human inventions based upon mapping that can equally be applied to a flat earth as to a round (ish) one.
Hi. I read and answered all your past and present. The geometry you say in the Qur'an and in the seventh century refers to the spherical shape of the earth. I said the address of the verse and the surah. It is also mentioned in 4 parts of the Quran. Is it clearer than this? Please see the address and the document that I said about the Quran.
heydarian saeed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 03:19 AM   #230
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming
 
MarkCorrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 10,168
Originally Posted by heydarian saeed View Post
Hi. I read and answered all your past and present.
This is what is called "a lie". You absolutely have not. You may have missed them rather than ignored them, but there are two posts of mine you have not responded to off the top of my head. Respond to them please. They are on a previous page.
Originally Posted by heydarian saeed View Post
The geometry you say in the Qur'an and in the seventh century refers to the spherical shape of the earth.
No it doesn't.

Originally Posted by heydarian saeed View Post
I said the address of the verse and the surah. It is also mentioned in 4 parts of the Quran.
You quoted a surah that talks about the cardinal directions. That says nothing about the shape of the earth. You've been told this. Repeating this claim despite being told that it is meaningless must therefore be a deliberate attempt to deceive.

Originally Posted by heydarian saeed View Post
Is it clearer than this? Please see the address and the document that I said about the Quran.
I have. It was unimpressive because it relies on your apparent contention that you can't have cardinal directions on a flat earth, which is obviously wrong as has been pointed out to you.

Now, are you going to respond to my posts that I compiled at length complete with quotes or are you going to tell me yet again you already did when it is obvious you did not?
__________________
Naturalism adjusts it's principles to fit with the observed data.
It's a god of the facts world view. -joobz

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara

Last edited by MarkCorrigan; 11th August 2021 at 03:23 AM.
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 03:23 AM   #231
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming
 
MarkCorrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 10,168
Here are my posts you...missed:

Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
Yes it does.



That's only one quote. There are several more. How do you spread out a sphere? You don't. You spread out something flat.


Any state. You can have an East and West on a flat earth quite easily.

Nonsense.

No it doesn't.

The sun passes over the heavens and sets into a muddy pool.



The sun moves just like the Moon.



The Sun and Moon float in an orbit (of the Earth)



The Sun moves until it gets to the point where it can rest.



The sun and the moon move at a set speed so that one doesn't overtake the other.



The moon follows the sun it it's orbit.
Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
Do you want me to list all of the scientific and historical inaccuracies with surah and verse? Because we will be here for a long time.
__________________
Naturalism adjusts it's principles to fit with the observed data.
It's a god of the facts world view. -joobz

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 03:27 AM   #232
heydarian saeed
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 383
Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
But the opening poster did make some progress, since he is now quoting others individually.

It is not surprising that there are some discussions about religion in the "General Skepticism and The Paranormal" subforum (still doing its job).

To convince others, it is perhaps useful to avoid being rude.
Thank you very much for the patience of the esteemed jury. And I wish them health and well-being. But you said about rudeness. It is natural to hear insults, slanders, insults and ridicule in the way I have set foot. And I am satisfied because I pursue my goal and I want to prove to you the supernatural through modern science and existential philosophy. And of course this is a difficult path. And I have to feel aggression from others. But I will never allow myself to disrespect or insult anyone's opinion or words. We must move towards a world of freedom of expression and expression.
We have in the Qur'an that says: The wise listen to the words and follow the best of them. These are the ones whose God has guided them, and these are the wise. (Surah Zumr, verse 18)We follow this verse.
heydarian saeed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 03:29 AM   #233
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming
 
MarkCorrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 10,168
The Quran also says that unbelievers should be killed. Do you think we should be killed Heydarian?

I'm an atheist. I don't believe in any god or gods. Should I be killed for that?
__________________
Naturalism adjusts it's principles to fit with the observed data.
It's a god of the facts world view. -joobz

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 03:33 AM   #234
heydarian saeed
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 383
Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
Here are my posts you...missed:
I have given your answer in detail and the necessary explanations before. Please read my previous answer. I do not see the need to repeat. Good luck.
heydarian saeed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 03:42 AM   #235
heydarian saeed
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 383
Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
The Quran also says that unbelievers should be killed. Do you think we should be killed Heydarian?

I'm an atheist. I don't believe in any god or gods. Should I be killed for that?
No, this is not the case. If someone commits a crime of any kind, he should be punished according to its severity and the consequences of its destruction in human society. And punishment differs in every society and country. I personally have no good relationship with killing others and I hate it. And I am very eager for friendship, peaceful life and negotiation and debugging through interaction. At the same time, I respect the beliefs of all religions and thoughts. how about you? I am from the land of Persia and Cyrus the Great.
heydarian saeed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 03:48 AM   #236
heydarian saeed
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 383
Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
The Quran also says that unbelievers should be killed. Do you think we should be killed Heydarian?

I'm an atheist. I don't believe in any god or gods. Should I be killed for that?
I am looking for a human society with a great culture. In which all human beings of all faiths are respected. And the full observance of human civil rights. You know that by the order of Cyrus the Great, the first international laws were written in cuneiform inscriptions of Biston-Persepolis and the Achaemenid tablet. I follow that great man. My religion is Islam and my book is the Quran. And I am in the life and society of Persia to the kingdom of Cyrus the Great.
heydarian saeed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 03:52 AM   #237
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming
 
MarkCorrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 10,168
Originally Posted by heydarian saeed View Post
No, this is not the case.
What is not the case? That you don't think I should be killed? Ok, fair enough.

That the Quran doesn't say I should be killed? Yes, it does.

Originally Posted by heydarian saeed View Post
If someone commits a crime of any kind, he should be punished according to its severity and the consequences of its destruction in human society.
Right...

Originally Posted by heydarian saeed View Post
And punishment differs in every society and country.
There are, I believe, 16 countries where leaving Islam is penalised by various punishments up to and including death. This is based on the Quran which proscribes killing apostates.
Originally Posted by heydarian saeed View Post
I personally have no good relationship with killing others and I hate it. And I am very eager for friendship, peaceful life and negotiation and debugging through interaction.
Good to hear.
Originally Posted by heydarian saeed View Post
At the same time, I respect the beliefs of all religions and thoughts. how about you?
I respect religious people and I respect their autonomy to hold whatever beliefs they hold within reason, I do not respect beliefs if they are not deserving of respect. Respecting beliefs is pointless.
Originally Posted by heydarian saeed View Post
I am from the land of Persia and Cyrus the Great.
Which hasn't existed as an independent state for several centuries.
__________________
Naturalism adjusts it's principles to fit with the observed data.
It's a god of the facts world view. -joobz

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 03:53 AM   #238
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming
 
MarkCorrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 10,168
Originally Posted by heydarian saeed View Post
I have given your answer in detail and the necessary explanations before. Please read my previous answer. I do not see the need to repeat. Good luck.
I've explained why your answer was insufficient. Why do you keep ignoring that?
__________________
Naturalism adjusts it's principles to fit with the observed data.
It's a god of the facts world view. -joobz

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 04:56 AM   #239
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 11,479
Originally Posted by heydarian saeed View Post
Hello. You are probably not familiar with geometry and geometric shapes and spheres. A sphere has infinite diameter...
No, a sphere does not have infinite diameter. I don't think you believe this to be true and I assume this is either a bad translation or a careless mis-statement of what you intended to say. It's just one example but I have to say it is often not at all clear what points you intend to express.

In any case, the general thrust of your argument seems to be to describe some modern science and then tell us you believe this was what the Quran was describing in some verse. As several posters have already said, this is a pointless exercise as it is too easy to retrospectively ascribe meanings to old texts and you can interpret them to mean almost anything you please. People do this all the time, often with the "prophecies" of Nostradamus, and it's a completely futile game.
Jack by the hedge is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 04:56 AM   #240
heydarian saeed
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 383
Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
I've explained why your answer was insufficient. Why do you keep ignoring that?
Dear fellow; The religion of Islam and its laws and what is stated in the book of the Qur'an may not be in line with the policy of the Islamic government. Therefore, you do not know what you see in Islamic governments in accordance with the religion of Islam and the Qur'an. Because they are different. I think you understand what I mean. Thanks
heydarian saeed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:48 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.