IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2021 elections , California politics , Gavin Newsom

Old 4th August 2021, 02:22 PM   #1
Caroline13
Suspended

On the Recall of CA GNuesom

Just sent this note to a long time STUCK Dem who cannot see or want to see what Neusome has done to Califironia.

Just listened to John Phillips on KABC, I hear him every day, and he has callers about the recall of Gruesom....and MOST that called in were lifelong Dems and now Independents. And one guy called in and said one has to be deaf, dumb and blind to want to keep the Warden. The rich hypocrite French Laundry warden, normal price of French Laundry dinner is $355 and that's where he entertained a bunch of his cronies all unmasked. After he locked businesses down and pushed masks.

What has pushed most over, is the Covid lockdowns, and the decades of Homeless.

And other woman called in same political credentials, and said CA has turned into a toilet and this once Golden State is no longer, and more leaving than coming in, that's not how it's been.

If you don't see this Jennie, then look at the 3 words above. j

BTW: I've been here over 55 yrs from the East and housing has always been out of sight and NOW, hard to grasp it all. Technology did so much too, push the costs of housing over the roof.

A little shack type house in San Jose (silicon valley) is well over a Million and many over 2million and not talking estates....
Caroline13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 02:30 PM   #2
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

You might start by learning how to spell Newsom.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 02:35 PM   #3
Cain
Straussian

California needs to rewrite its threshold on signatures to trigger a recall (or abolish the recall altogether). It's ridiculous that a new governor can be installed with a fraction of the vote.
Diablo: You're a lousy bigot. Apologise and withdraw that remark.
Cain: Nah.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 02:35 PM   #4
Caroline13
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
You might start by learning how to spell Newsom.
Oh bull, I know how, but to many of us he's the Warden, Gruesom and more names. And Adolph .. Oh it is Newsom, I don't care, he's a Big Zero to me.

Last edited by Caroline13; 4th August 2021 at 02:38 PM.
Caroline13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 02:46 PM   #5
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I find it funny that Caroline wants to blame Newsom for problems that existed long before he became Governor.

Tech and Sunshine made California rich. For 70 years no one has done anything about these issues. And homelessness is a national problem that the federal government has failed to address. That it might be worse in California has more to do with climate than leadership. I mean if you don't have a roof over your head, it is better outside in a warmer climate than an area where you're likely to die from exposure.
Old 4th August 2021, 03:09 PM   #6
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Caroline13 View Post
Oh bull, I know how, but to many of us he's the Warden, Gruesom and more names. And Adolph .. Oh it is Newsom, I don't care, he's a Big Zero to me.
To many of you Trump is The Chosen One. 'Nuff said.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 03:10 PM   #7
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

This recall election is expected to cost a quarter billion dollars to run.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 03:12 PM   #8
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Interesting that there seems to be a coalition to get this guy out of office. Much of the coverage seems to focus on right wing cranks that hate Newsom for covid-19 restrictions and other nutty pet issues, but the recall wouldn't be polling so close unless there was also some dissent among liberal voters.

It's going to be a bitter victory for right wingers if they win, Newsom will be just replaced by another Democrat. It's not like hating Newsom means the state is MAGA country now.
Old 4th August 2021, 03:24 PM   #9
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Interesting that there seems to be a coalition to get this guy out of office. Much of the coverage seems to focus on right wing cranks that hate Newsom for covid-19 restrictions and other nutty pet issues, but the recall wouldn't be polling so close unless there was also some dissent among liberal voters.

It's going to be a bitter victory for right wingers if they win, Newsom will be just replaced by another Democrat. It's not like hating Newsom means the state is MAGA country now.
Unless an old US Senator from California dies, the GOP get to pick a GOP replacement, and the Senate goes under their control. The GOP in power in the US legislature would right now would ensure the end of our democracy.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 03:28 PM   #10
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Apparently there is a God.
Old 4th August 2021, 03:34 PM   #11
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Newsom , early on, mishandled the COvid crisis, and then did one of the most incredibly stupid things I have ever seen a politician ever do with the French Laundry incident. Renting out one of the fanciest and most expensive restaurants in California for a fund raiser while announcing that most restaurants in California would have to shut down was incredibly stupid.
I am voting against the recall, but I will do so holding my nose since I think Newsom has not done a good job as governor.
interesting that that anti recall campaign is going very heavy on this being engineered by the Trumpers, and avoiding mentioning Newsom. Most of the commercials don't even mention Newsom.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 4th August 2021 at 03:40 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 03:36 PM   #12
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Unless an old US Senator from California dies, the GOP get to pick a GOP replacement, and the Senate goes under their control. The GOP in power in the US legislature would right now would ensure the end of our democracy.
But the guy would be senator only until a special election, which a Democrat would be strongly favored to win.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 04:02 PM   #13
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

That's not how it works. Feinstein was just reelected. She has 6 years on her term. Padilla is the other US Senator who replaced Kamala Harris in January. He will be the Jr. Senator until the 2022 General election.
Old 4th August 2021, 04:03 PM   #14
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
But the guy would be senator only until a special election, which a Democrat would be strongly favored to win.
Newsom is Governor...not Senator.
Old 4th August 2021, 04:15 PM   #15
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Newsom is Governor...not Senator.
Who Said I was talking about Newsom. I was talking about a hypothtical situation where a GOP Governor replaces Newsom and makes a Senatorial replacment.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th August 2021, 04:18 PM   #16
Caroline13
Suspended

I find it funny that Caroline wants to blame Newsom for problems that existed long before he became Governor.

Tech and Sunshine made California rich. For 70 years no one has done anything about these issues. And homelessness is a national problem that the federal government has failed to address. That it might be worse in California has more to do with climate than leadership. I mean if you don't have a roof over your head, it is better outside in a warmer climate than an area where you're likely to die from exposure.
Covid lockdowns and closed schools pushed it Over....Homeless has been an issue since I recall early 90's, late 80's.....

There are about 4 recalls going on now.
Old 4th August 2021, 04:24 PM   #17
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Covid lockdowns and closed schools pushed it Over....Homeless has been an issue since I recall early 90's, late 80's.....

There are about 4 recalls going on now.
The COVID lockdowns make sense. Only a partisan idiot would think this is reason to recall.
Old 4th August 2021, 04:27 PM   #18
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Who Said I was talking about Newsom. I was talking about a hypothtical situation where a GOP Governor replaces Newsom and makes a Senatorial replacment.
Who's he gonna replace? Yes if Feinstein or Padilla die. Sure.
Old 4th August 2021, 04:34 PM   #19
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
This recall election is expected to cost a quarter billion dollars to run.
There's a lot worse things to spend money on, besides constitutional democratic processes.
Old 4th August 2021, 05:19 PM   #20
mgidm86
Philosopher

The COVID lockdowns make sense. Only a partisan idiot would think this is reason to recall.
They don't need no stinking reasons! There have been many attempts by Republicans to recall Newsom, this is just the one that stuck. It's the fourth or fifth attempt at least.

https://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/rec...ecall-attempts
Old 4th August 2021, 05:33 PM   #21
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
They don't need no stinking reasons! There have been many attempts by Republicans to recall Newsom, this is just the one that stuck. It's the fourth or fifth attempt at least.

https://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/rec...ecall-attempts
I know. Any port in the storm. They just want a GOP Governor.
Old 4th August 2021, 05:43 PM   #22
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

I get what you're trying to do - you're trying to combine Gavin Newsom's last name with the word "gruesome" to let people know what you think of him in a creative manner. But you're screwing it up. His real name is Gavin Newsom, so you should be using "Grewsom", or "Grewsome" or something similar, not Gruesom and definitely not GNuesom. That last one really spoils the joke.

You can even mix in "Nussolini" just to keep things fresh. Best of luck.
Old 4th August 2021, 06:38 PM   #23
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

nvm
Old 4th August 2021, 10:05 PM   #24
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

That's not how it works. Feinstein was just reelected. She has 6 years on her term. Padilla is the other US Senator who replaced Kamala Harris in January. He will be the Jr. Senator until the 2022 General election.
You seem confused. Padilla was appointed by Newsom. If Newsom was replaced and either Senator died, like someone Feinstein's age isn't unlikely to do, then a GOP governor would appoint a Republican to finish the term.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 10:35 PM   #25
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

You seem confused. Padilla was appointed by Newsom. If Newsom was replaced and either Senator died, like someone Feinstein's age isn't unlikely to do, then a GOP governor would appoint a Republican to finish the term.
Not true. California, like 36 other states, requires that the governor appoint an interim senator from the same party as the seat vacated. The party presents the governor with a list of three possible appointees and s/he must choose one of those three.
https://www.ncsl.org/research/electi...637302453.aspx
Old 5th August 2021, 05:07 AM   #26
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Would a successful recall automatically give the governorship to the GOP?

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2021, 05:15 AM   #27
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Would a successful recall automatically give the governorship to the GOP?
The recall ballot asks

1) should the schmuck be recalled

2) if yes, who should replace them

Candidates for the recall ballot have already been selected, the deadline to qualify has passed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_C...ied_candidates

I'm not following this closely, but I don't see why anyone should assume a Republican would win. I suppose it's possible because an anti-Newsom vote might draw better turnout from conservatives than liberals, but who knows.
Old 5th August 2021, 05:31 AM   #28
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

The recall ballot asks

1) should the schmuck be recalled

2) if yes, who should replace them

Candidates for the recall ballot have already been selected, the deadline to qualify has passed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_C...ied_candidates

I'm not following this closely, but I don't see why anyone should assume a Republican would win. I suppose it's possible because an anti-Newsom vote might draw better turnout from conservatives than liberals, but who knows.
From that list, there seems to be more establishment Republicans running than Democrats.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2021, 05:35 AM   #29
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
From that list, there seems to be more establishment Republicans running than Democrats.
Perhaps that could be an issue. Maybe regular Democrats were afraid to sign on to the ballot because doing so is a tacit endorsement of the removal effort.

If there's nobody good on the Democratic side of things, that might drive liberal voters to begrudgingly vote against removal.
Old 5th August 2021, 05:47 AM   #30
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps that could be an issue. Maybe regular Democrats were afraid to sign on to the ballot because doing so is a tacit endorsement of the removal effort.

If there's nobody good on the Democratic side of things, that might drive liberal voters to begrudgingly vote against removal.
One can hope. Dunno about Newsom. Seems like a bit of a prick, but he's going to be better than any Republican.

Old 5th August 2021, 06:47 AM   #31
carlitos
"más divertido"

Republican Governors George Deukmejian, Pete Wilson and Arnold Schwarzenegger didn't solve the homeless issue? Weird.

Not true. California, like 36 other states, requires that the governor appoint an interim senator from the same party as the seat vacated. The party presents the governor with a list of three possible appointees and s/he must choose one of those three.
I did not know that. Thanks.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2021, 06:54 AM   #32
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
I get what you're trying to do - you're trying to combine Gavin Newsom's last name with the word "gruesome" to let people know what you think of him in a creative manner. But you're screwing it up. His real name is Gavin Newsom, so you should be using "Grewsom", or "Grewsome" or something similar, not Gruesom and definitely not GNuesom. That last one really spoils the joke.

You can even mix in "Nussolini" just to keep things fresh. Best of luck.
Or El Grueserino, if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2021, 07:05 AM   #33
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I get that. But you're depending on them dying.
Old 5th August 2021, 09:23 AM   #34
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

And other woman called in same political credentials, and said CA has turned into a toilet and this once Golden State is no longer, and more leaving than coming in, that's not how it's been.

Good. In two generations the entirety of California east of the coastal mountain ranges will be well on its way to becoming uninhabitable desert. The more people who leave and the sooner they do so, the better.
Old 5th August 2021, 04:09 PM   #35
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And the criticism of Newsom from a lot of Democrats is he lifted them too soon.
I will vote against the recall, but hold my nose while doing so because Newsom has not been a very good governor but nothing he had done desreves a recall.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 5th August 2021, 07:45 PM   #36
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Oh good. Thanks for the correction!
Old 5th August 2021, 11:58 PM   #37
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Have you seen the Star Wars bar scene of creatures running to replace the current governor? Kaitlin Jenner is the most stable of the lot. The rest don't even qualify as being human. What a bunch of failed genetic experiments. https://calmatters.org/explainers/ne...ll-candidates/
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2021, 12:21 AM   #38
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Have you seen the Star Wars bar scene of creatures running to replace the current governor? Kaitlin Jenner is the most stable of the lot. The rest don't even qualify as being human. What a bunch of failed genetic experiments. https://calmatters.org/explainers/ne...ll-candidates/
Is there REALLY a place called Shingle Springs in the USA? Really??

Yep.

Damn...
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2021, 02:45 AM   #39
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
It's really strange I think to most of us outside the USA that you have all these candidates running as "republicans" or "democrats". Who decides that?
Old 6th August 2021, 02:57 AM   #40
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Covid lockdowns and closed schools pushed it Over
Because of course if there is something that no Republicans wants, it is a Governor who is Pro-Life when it comes to preventing people from dying of a virus that has claimed the lives of over 600,000 Americans.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics