IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2021 elections , California politics , Gavin Newsom

Old 6th August 2021, 06:58 AM   #41
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
It's really strange I think to most of us outside the USA that you have all these candidates running as "republicans" or "democrats". Who decides that?
The person does. No one else gets a say I don't think. The party can refuse to fund you, acknowledge you, they can strip you have assignments, etc., but I'm pretty positive it's up to the person to decide what they're running as.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 6th August 2021 at 07:17 AM.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2021, 10:31 AM   #42
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Is there REALLY a place called Shingle Springs in the USA? Really??

Yep.

Damn...
Yep. And everyone there is required by law not to get a shingles vaccination!
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2021, 10:39 AM   #43
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

What is it with the GOP and celebrities running for and often winning political office? Wrestlers, movie stars, TV personalities, etc have all run and won. I'm sure there have been some that were Dems, but most of them are GOP.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2021, 10:59 AM   #44
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
What is it with the GOP and celebrities running for and often winning political office? Wrestlers, movie stars, TV personalities, etc have all run and won. I'm sure there have been some that were Dems, but most of them are GOP.
Just off the top of my head

Ronald Reagan
Sonny Bono
Clint Eastwood
Arnold Schwarzenegger

Al Franken

I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about it so there are countless I miss
Old 6th August 2021, 11:17 AM   #45
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post

Ronald Reagan
Sonny Bono
Clint Eastwood
Arnold Schwarzenegger

Al Franken

Fred Grandy (Gopher from The Love Boat)
Jesse Ventura

On the Democratic side, Ashley Judd ran for office but didn't win.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2021, 12:25 PM   #46
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Jesse Ventura

Pretty sure Clay Aiken ran at one time as well, but failed.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2021, 01:01 PM   #47
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Yep.

Damn...

Yes. It's about 35 miles from the State Captiol at Sacramento, I know people who live there,and have been through it on my way to Lake Tahoe more times then I can remember.
In California, we have anumber of towns with colorful names, dating from the GOld Rush perios.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2021, 01:25 PM   #48
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Taking a step back, what kind of crazy recall process is this? Voters throw out the incumbent and choose the successor in one election? The consequence is that only 50.1% of voters could reject Newsom, then a tiny plurality could choose his successor. If there are 10 candidates with roughly equal support, somebody could become governor with 11 percent of the votes. And it looks like there might actually be more than 10 candidates. How could anyone think this makes sense? And how hard will it be to recall the next guy? I could imagine petitions starting the day after the election.
Quote:
There was no limit on the number of candidates who could run in the recall and 46 qualified for the ballot. The election says whoever gets the most votes wins – even without a majority, so it’s entirely possible that someone could be elected in a recall while winning less than half the votes.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ion/ar-AAMWPXO
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2021, 01:41 PM   #49
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Taking a step back, what kind of crazy recall process is this? Voters throw out the incumbent and choose the successor in one election? The consequence is that only 50.1% of voters could reject Newsom, then a tiny plurality could choose his successor. If there are 10 candidates with roughly equal support, somebody could become governor with 11 percent of the votes. And it looks like there might actually be more than 10 candidates. How could anyone think this makes sense? And how hard will it be to recall the next guy? I could imagine petitions starting the day after the election.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ion/ar-AAMWPXO
Currently 46 people with potential for their names to appear on the ballot.

Last time CA did this, they elected an Austrian cyborg from the 21st Century (truth be told, he wasn't all that bad as politicians go, at least he was a moderate and not a right-wing bomb-thrower).

This time around I only recognize one name on the list - Caitlyn Jenner.

I guess we'll see how it plays out. CA often really earns its reputation for being ungovernable.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2021, 01:41 PM   #50
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded

Yep.

Damn...

Would you believe at least four places are named Gobbler(')s Knob?
Old 6th August 2021, 01:51 PM   #51
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Currently 46 people with potential for their names to appear on the ballot.

Last time CA did this, they elected an Austrian cyborg from the 21st Century (truth be told, he wasn't all that bad as politicians go, at least he was a moderate and not a right-wing bomb-thrower).
That was in 2003, before the GOP went Nazi, and he won 48.6% of the vote. What will happen now is that the moderate/rational candidates will split the vote, and the loudest, most batcrap Trumper will win with all the votes from all the batcrap Trumpers.

If Newsom survives, the best thing he could do in his final term, whenever it comes, is work to reform or eliminate the recall process. He won't be accused of a selfish interest.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2021, 02:01 PM   #52
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
It's really strange I think to most of us outside the USA that you have all these candidates running as "republicans" or "democrats". Who decides that?
They can also run as third-party candidates. All you have to do is state your party when you register to vote, and you can change your registration almost whenever you want. You can also be "independent," as a substantial minority of Americans choose.

In 2020, in addition to Biden and Trump, there were eight third-party candidates on ballots in at least some states.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_U...ntial_election
Old 6th August 2021, 02:04 PM   #53
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Question: To what degree do California's problems continue to step from Prop. 13? Creating a tax system where identical properties are assessed wildly different taxes based on how long the owner has lived there and limiting the ability of the legislature to raise taxes has to distort the entire state economy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978_C...Proposition_13
Old 6th August 2021, 03:34 PM   #54
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And the criticism of Newsom from a lot of Democrats is he lifted them too soon.
I will vote against the recall, but hold my nose while doing so because Newsom has not been a very good governor but nothing he had done desreves a recall.
Me too. California will not vote in a Republican, especially after Trump. Newsom is an ass and a pretty bad guy but this recall is just typical Repub BS.

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post

Because Republicans prefer fantasy to reality and are generally stupid.
Old 6th August 2021, 04:01 PM   #55
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Me too. California will not vote in a Republican, especially after Trump. Newsom is an ass and a pretty bad guy but this recall is just typical Repub BS.
Can we be sure about that? With the vote split dozens of ways, it wouldn't take much for a Repub to win.
Old 6th August 2021, 06:37 PM   #56
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Jesse Ventura

Jesse ran on a third party ticket. But there are a lot of WWE wrestlers who ran as Republicans. And then there always Carly Fiorino.
Old 6th August 2021, 06:41 PM   #57
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
Hey! My sister dated a very nice 6'6" guy with the last name of Gobbler! I wish she'd married him instead of the GOP gun nut she did. So does she.
Old 7th August 2021, 03:51 PM   #58
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Apparently there is a God.

That's why he made Trump lose.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 04:18 PM   #59
mgidm86
Philosopher

Can we be sure about that? With the vote split dozens of ways, it wouldn't take much for a Repub to win.
No, can't be sure. This state is so f'd up...we got Ahnold last time.

Hopefully the recall will lose and we won't need to select someone else. Newsom should never have been gov but he'd been groomed for it for years. There was no way he wouldn't be gov eventually.

I believe Caitlin Jenner is a leading Republican. Ya should be a frickin mess.
Old 8th August 2021, 05:26 PM   #60
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
No, can't be sure. This state is so f'd up...we got Ahnold last time.

Hopefully the recall will lose and we won't need to select someone else. Newsom should never have been gov but he'd been groomed for it for years. There was no way he wouldn't be gov eventually.

I believe Caitlin Jenner is a leading Republican. Ya should be a frickin mess.
Ahnuld had wide appeall, you can't say the same for any of the GOP canidate

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 8th August 2021 at 05:28 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2021, 05:33 PM   #61
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Arnold S. detests Trump and called him 'the worst president ever" so he's one of the few GOP politicians who has some cajones.
Old 8th August 2021, 06:14 PM   #62
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Yep.

Damn...
I live about 45 minutes away. However you picture it is probably pretty accurate.
Old 9th August 2021, 01:48 AM   #63
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Yes. It's about 35 miles from the State Captiol at Sacramento, I know people who live there,and have been through it on my way to Lake Tahoe more times then I can remember.
In California, we have anumber of towns with colorful names, dating from the GOld Rush perios.
Originally Posted by xterra View Post
Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
I live about 45 minutes away. However you picture it is probably pretty accurate.
I exclaimed only because "shingles" is a nasty disease related to chicken pox. Which suggests if you bathe or drink at these springs, you will catch some permanent infection. I know that isn't so (betting it is to do with roofing shingles in some way), but it just sounds...icky. Like Gobbler's Knob, really.

Anyway, carry on, California!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2021, 04:36 AM   #64
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Caitlyn Jenner's campaign is broke and never polled out of single digits. Despite her name recognition, there's very little evidence that she was ever a serious contender.

https://www.politico.com/states/cali...tretch-9426996
Old 9th August 2021, 07:52 AM   #65
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe Gary Coleman will run again, in Weekend With Bernie mode.
Old 9th August 2021, 03:30 PM   #66
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I exclaimed only because "shingles" is a nasty disease related to chicken pox. Which suggests if you bathe or drink at these springs, you will catch some permanent infection. I know that isn't so (betting it is to do with roofing shingles in some way), but it just sounds...icky. Like Gobbler's Knob, really.

Anyway, carry on, California!
Shingle Springs got it's name because during the Gold Rush, a couple of people set up a shingle factory there..as in the kind of shingles you use for roofing.
And just up the road is Placerville, which used to be called Hangtown because of it's fondness for informal and quick justice.
it's not like Shingle Springs is i the middle of nowhere;it's right on the main freeway you take to go from the SF Bay Area to the Lake Tahoe resort area.
it's actully become quite pricey as far as homes go being within commuting distance of Sacramento.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 9th August 2021, 08:34 PM   #67
mgidm86
Philosopher

Ya but Arnold was no Republican either (maybe by name), and pretty ineffective. As I recall voters rejected most, if not all, of what he tried to do. His appeal was the cute way he said Caleefoynia.

I like him okay now though.

My point was though that a recall election isn't going to make anything better, it will make it worse. It's a cluster F. I don't like Newsom but I don't like the idea of a handful of scammers recalling a governor.

I say scammers because this is the 5th or 6th recall attempt on Newsom. It has less to do with Covid than it does with the Repubs seeing a way to possibly get one of their own in there.

Now a recall in Florida could be a good thing, maybe.
Old 10th August 2021, 10:01 AM   #68
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

I had to LOL when I saw the footage of Newsom cleaning garbage from under the overpass in Berkeley last night. Looks like someone is not polling well!
Old 10th August 2021, 10:16 AM   #69
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Question: To what degree do California's problems continue to step from Prop. 13? Creating a tax system where identical properties are assessed wildly different taxes based on how long the owner has lived there and limiting the ability of the legislature to raise taxes has to distort the entire state economy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978_C...Proposition_13
Seems like the distortion would come from constantly ratcheting up the tax burden on homeowners.

I can see pushing taxes on commercial properties. These are supposed to be revenue-generating assets. It makes sense to expect you to grow a business there and tax you accordingly. But taxing homeowners as if they're growing their primary residence like a business just seems perverse.
Old 10th August 2021, 10:24 AM   #70
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

it's actully become quite pricey as far as homes go being within commuting distance of Sacramento.
I'm surprised it hasn't been renamed. I dunno if upscale home buyers see "Shingle Springs" as a prestige address.
Old 10th August 2021, 10:54 AM   #71
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Yep.

Damn...
ETA: Adding to the parade of Alien Space Robots With a Gratuitously Poor Grasp of English:
I'm surprised it hasn't been renamed. I dunno if upscale home buyers see "Shingle Springs" as a prestige address.
You know there's such a thing as roof shingles, right? And shingle also refers to pebbly ground cover, such as at a beach.

Shingle Springs was named after the roof shingle manufacturing operation established nearby.

Why is this a problem for you?
Old 10th August 2021, 11:40 AM   #72
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

This is the West;unique and colorful names are part of it's tradition.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 11th August 2021, 09:33 AM   #73
Donal
Illuminator

Ronald Reagan
Sonny Bono
Clint Eastwood
Arnold Schwarzenegger

Al Franken

Some of those are really just ceremonial like Clint Eastwood and Kane from the WWE being "mayor".

Although, ya, for the party that likes to say "celebrities should stay out of politics", they sure do love to vote for them. I remember when they put some game show host who played a rich guy on TV up for president.
Old 11th August 2021, 09:35 AM   #74
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Have you seen the Star Wars bar scene of creatures running to replace the current governor? Kaitlin Jenner is the most stable of the lot. The rest don't even qualify as being human. What a bunch of failed genetic experiments. https://calmatters.org/explainers/ne...ll-candidates/
The most disappointing thing about that list is that Dwayne Johnson isn't on it.
Old 11th August 2021, 10:23 AM   #75
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Some of those are really just ceremonial like Clint Eastwood and Kane from the WWE being "mayor".

Although, ya, for the party that likes to say "celebrities should stay out of politics", they sure do love to vote for them. I remember when they put some game show host who played a rich guy on TV up for president.
But it's not just tv/movie people. I just remembered Tommy Tuberville, who's credentials are that he was a football coach in Alabama. And Jim Jordan, wrestling coach at Ohio St. Now there are rumors about Hershel Walker in Georgia, although the fact that he lives in Texas and his wife commits voter fraud by voting in Georgia could get in the way.
Old 11th August 2021, 10:41 AM   #76
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

But it's not just tv/movie people. I just remembered Tommy Tuberville, who's credentials are that he was a football coach in Alabama. And Jim Jordan, wrestling coach at Ohio St. Now there are rumors about Hershel Walker in Georgia, although the fact that he lives in Texas and his wife commits voter fraud by voting in Georgia could get in the way.
Tuberville of the infamous "I tell people, my dad fought 76 years ago in Europe to free Europe of socialism. Today, you look at this election, we have half this country that made some kind of movement, now they might not believe in it 100 percent, but they made some kind of movement toward socialism. So we're fighting it right here on our own soil."

He was overwhelmingly elected in AL even though:

Quote:
During the GOP primaries, for example, Tuberville refused to debate former Attorney General Jeff Sessions. During the general election, he also refused to debate Sen. Doug Jones (D). After struggling to discuss what the Voting Rights Act is, the retired coach seemed to retreat even further from microphones.

In mid-October, the Alabama Media Group's Kyle Whitmire noted, "With three weeks left before the election, Tuberville's campaign strategy is to say as little as possible. No debates. No interviews. No nothing. Tuberville is in hiding." The columnist added, "[i]f a campaign won't let its candidate speak openly because he can't do so without saying dumb things that hurt his chances of winning the election, what the heck is going to happen when he's in the United States Senate?"

None of this seemed to matter too much to voters in Alabama -- Tuberville won in a landslide
Old 11th August 2021, 11:34 AM   #77
Donal
Illuminator

The Democrats should nominate Saban in 2026.
Old 11th August 2021, 12:15 PM   #78
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
In 1986, Clint Eastwood ran for the office of mayor in the small but wealthy town of Carmel, California. Eastwood was elected in a landslide and served a two-year term.

A couple of my friends were living in Carmel at the time, and I visited them while Eastwood was mayor. They told me he was generally regarded as a considerable improvement over his predecessor.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 12:40 PM   #79
kevbo
Thinker

This is the West;unique and colorful names are part of it's tradition.
In Oregon, we have Drain, Fossil, Boring, Riddle, and Talent. Bit of trivia- The sister city for Boring is Dull, Scotland.
kevbo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 12:48 AM   #80
SteveAitch
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
In Oregon, we have Drain, Fossil, Boring, Riddle, and Talent. Bit of trivia- The sister city for Boring is Dull, Scotland.
More boring trivia - in the old days if you looked up 'Boring' in the Yellow Pages, it referred you to 'Civil Engineers'.

Some people call me 'strange'. I prefer 'unconventional'. But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'...
SteveAitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics