IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2021 elections , California politics , Gavin Newsom

Old 5th September 2021, 11:29 PM   #161
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
345 children hospitalized with COVID-19 in Texas over weekend

The Texas State Health Department revealed Sunday 345 children were hospitalized with COVID-19 over the weekend.

As of Sunday, there were 73 available staffed pediatric ICU beds, according to the health department.

Since school began in the state last month, 52,000 students have tested positive for the virus, the health department data shows.
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/live-u...s/?id=79720727

And that is only over the weekend. I suppose we'll now hear "You call that significant?"

Quote:
In actuality, 783 children were admitted to Texas hospitals with COVID-19 between July 1 and Aug. 9 of this year.
Quote:
“We’re seeing a significantly greater number of children who are being hospitalized with COVID-19. Some are requiring ICU care, more than we’ve seen with previous surges, and that’s related to the increased transmissibility of delta,” said Dr. Seth D. Kaplan, president of the Texas Pediatric Society. “This is just a more aggressive variant. It’s sickening more children, and requiring more to be hospitalized. So that, on top of the RSV, is what’s really causing the capacity issues.”

“It is spreading like wildfire,” said Dr. Jim Versalovic, pathologist-in-chief and interim pediatrician-in-chief at Texas Children’s Hospital in Houston.
Quote:
Estefani López’s 11-month-old baby was struggling to breathe. The little girl, Ava Rivera, had contracted COVID-19 and began having seizures. Then her pulse weakened. Her mom couldn’t feel her taking breaths anymore.

López rushed her to an emergency room where the staff began initial treatments, putting tubes down her throat to pump her lungs with oxygen. But the baby’s condition required care at a pediatric hospital, and none of the ones in the Houston area could take her in. They were all full.

Instead, López had to watch as hospital staff placed her baby in a helicopter to be airlifted 150 miles away to Temple for emergency care at the nearest children’s hospital with space. López spent the next three hours driving to the hospital, praying her baby would survive.
https://www.texastribune.org/2021/08...ens-hospitals/

But shame on me for boring some people with a "'sympathy for the children' sob story."
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2021, 05:09 AM   #162
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/live-u...s/?id=79720727

And that is only over the weekend.
The article that you linked does not state that "345 were hospitalized over the weekend".

Here is what it states:

Quote:
COVID-19 updates: 345 children currently hospitalized with coronavirus in Texas
345 is the current total, not the amount from the weekend. Perhaps they made a correction.

Quote:
Some information you left out:

Quote:
More children are being treated in Texas hospitals for COVID-19 than ever before. But there’s a second factor that is putting pediatric hospitals on the path to being overwhelmed: an unseasonable outbreak of respiratory syncytial virus, or RSV, a highly contagious virus that can require hospitalization mostly among children 5 years and younger and especially infants.

During the last year, RSV was largely dormant, which experts believe was due to people masking up during the pandemic. Now, in just the last several weeks, thousands of Texas children have tested positive for the virus.

But shame on me for boring some people with a "'sympathy for the children' sob story."
And yes, I am still not interesting in any “tear-jerker” stories. The fact remains that 496 deaths out of 650k+ is not statistically significant.

As I say, Elder may have bad ideas about Covid safety protocols, amongst other things, but he is at least partially correct about the Covid risk to children.

Last edited by Warp12; 6th September 2021 at 06:41 AM.
Warp12 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2021, 05:23 AM   #163
Warp12
Graduate Poster

And I see you don't dispute that Elder is a misogynist.
I'll agree that some of his controversial remarks about women are not very encouraging. It seems like he has a propensity towards making outrageous public statements. It doesn't surprise me considering his career history.
Old 6th September 2021, 08:55 AM   #164
Warp12
Graduate Poster

No, there's no systemic racism in AMURICA!

Sources: NPR and Manhattan Institute

Source: Brookings Institution

Source: Center for Responsible Lending

Source: The Century Foundation

Source: Vera Institute of Justice

But acknowledging all the above is only seen as a 'bad thing' by Democrats.
I'm sure you know who Ben Shapiro is. This is a pretty good video which explains why, in essence, shouting "systemic racism" is getting to be a pretty tired trope:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

The whole idea that these racial inequalities are simply explained by "systemic racism" is patently ridiculous. Believe it or not, questioning the whole concept is not "fringe".

Now, there is no doubt that, as I have mentioned, promoting such ideas has been a great windfall for "concerned" liberals, and Democrat platforms. Look at the success of even say, Robin DiAngelo. However, for Elder to question systemic racism is the least of my concerns about him, and it is far from unreasonable for him to do so.
Old 6th September 2021, 12:28 PM   #165
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
The article that you linked does not state that "345 were hospitalized over the weekend".

Here is what it states:

345 is the current total, not the amount from the weekend. Perhaps they made a correction.
Yes, they did make a correction. The original headline was exactly as I quoted.

Quote:
Some information you left out:
I left nothing out as it was included in what I quoted:

Quote:
Quote:
“We’re seeing a significantly greater number of children who are being hospitalized with COVID-19. Some are requiring ICU care, more than we’ve seen with previous surges, and that’s related to the increased transmissibility of delta,” said Dr. Seth D. Kaplan, president of the Texas Pediatric Society. “This is just a more aggressive variant. It’s sickening more children, and requiring more to be hospitalized. So that, on top of the RSV, is what’s really causing the capacity issues.”

“It is spreading like wildfire,” said Dr. Jim Versalovic, pathologist-in-chief and interim pediatrician-in-chief at Texas Children’s Hospital in Houston.
I did not go into the RSV factor because it has nothing to do with what we are discussing which is the growing amount of children being hospitalized with COVID.

Quote:
And yes, I am still not interesting in any “tear-jerker” stories. The fact remains that 496 deaths out of 650k+ is not statistically significant.
I guess empathy is just an emotion that some value more than others.

But again, you are completely ignoring the other factors that I presented: the negative long term effects many children have after surviving Covid and infecting others .

For example, this mother of five who died from Covid after her 9 year old daughter infected the entire family:
Quote:
That poor child may feel guilt over her mother's death for the rest of her life.

Quote:
As I say, Elder may have bad ideas about Covid safety protocols, amongst other things, but he is at least partially correct about the Covid risk to children.
Being partially correct about something but horrifically wrong about most of something is not a plus.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2021, 01:50 PM   #166
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I'm sure you know who Ben Shapiro is. This is a pretty good video which explains why, in essence, shouting "systemic racism" is getting to be a pretty tired trope:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
No, it is a very simplistic and inaccurate video. For example, his first example promotes school vouchers as the answer to poor schools. The trouble is, 47 states already allow intradistrict and interdistrict public school attendance choice. Shapiro says that "it's Democratic policy that you must go to the school in the district where you live". This is false. For example, New Jersey which is a blue state, allows inter/intra district school choice: https://www.nj.gov/education/choice/

What Shapiro is really referring to are private school vouchers which have many negative effects including reduction in funds available for public schools, and the creation of more private schools which are not as regulated as public schools. For example, a private school does not have to hire credentialed teachers. My first teaching job was in a private school in CA and I was one of only a handful of the teachers who was actually state credentialed. Additionally, private school students do not have the same protections as those in public schools. For example, a student can be denied enrollment for reasons that would not be allowed in a public school even if it accepts public funding through vouchers.

Shapiro also fails to take into consideration that many, if not most, students attending a school outside their district/neighborhood might have very limited or no transportation to that school. Private schools generally do not have school bus service and a school district is not going to send a bus to pick up one or two students who live 10 miles away.

Shapiro fails to mention any of these things. As I said, both inaccurate and simplistic. But then, Shapiro is very much far right.

Quote:
The whole idea that these racial inequalities are simply explained by "systemic racism" is patently ridiculous. Believe it or not, questioning the whole concept is not no longer "fringe".
FTFY.

No one has said that all racial inequalities are explained by systemic racism but it is patently ridiculous to claim it doesn't exist when the overwhelming evidence proves it does. I could present this evidence but you would just handwave it away.

Quote:
Now, there is no doubt that, as I have mentioned, promoting such ideas has been a great windfall for "concerned" liberals, and Democrat platforms. Look at the success of even say, Robin DiAngelo.
LOL! "There is no doubt"?

I take it you think a person with a Ph.D. in Muliticultural Education, is the author of several books and articles on racism and who teaches diversity training to businesses is just a grifter out to make a buck. Hmmm. Revealing.
Quote:
However, for Elder to question systemic racism is the least of my concerns about him, and it is far from unreasonable for him to do so.
So what is your greatest concern about him since it's not his misogyny, spreading of Covid misinformation or false claims that there is no systemic racism in America?
Old 6th September 2021, 02:16 PM   #167
mgidm86
Philosopher

Yes, they did make a correction. The original headline was exactly as I quoted.

I left nothing out as it was included in what I quoted:

I did not go into the RSV factor because it has nothing to do with what we are discussing which is the growing amount of children being hospitalized with COVID.

I guess empathy is just an emotion that some value more than others.

But again, you are completely ignoring the other factors that I presented: the negative long term effects many children have after surviving Covid and infecting others .

For example, this mother of five who died from Covid after her 9 year old daughter infected the entire family:

That poor child may feel guilt over her mother's death for the rest of her life.

Being partially correct about something but horrifically wrong about most of something is not a plus.
I believe the poster said that empathy is overrated in another thread, so yes.
Old 6th September 2021, 02:17 PM   #168
Warp12
Graduate Poster

"ISF random trumps Shapiro, yet again"!

LMAO. Too rich.
Old 6th September 2021, 02:20 PM   #169
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
I believe the poster said that empathy is overrated in another thread, so yes.
And it is, when it comes to objective analysis of facts.
Old 6th September 2021, 02:29 PM   #170
Warp12
Graduate Poster

I take it you think a person with a Ph.D. in Muliticultural Education, is the author of several books and articles on racism and who teaches diversity training to businesses is just a grifter out to make a buck. Hmmm. Revealing.
She is very good at "moderate" diversity training, that does things such as telling people how to be "less white". Yes, a grifter.

Quote:
In February 2021, an online training course bearing her name came under scrutiny after a major social media backlash against The Coca-Cola Company, following the leak of pictures showing parts of an employee webinar. The course, called "Confronting Racism" and offered on the LinkedIn Learning platform, attracted negative publicity concerning DiAngelo's claim that "To be less white is to: be less oppressive, less arrogant, less certain, less defensive, less ignorant, more humble". It also showed DiAngelo asking viewers to "break with white solidarity".
This sort of racist garbage removes her credibility. I don't care what her education might be. It's embarrassing stuff, tbh.

Last edited by Warp12; 6th September 2021 at 02:32 PM.
Warp12 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2021, 02:36 PM   #171
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

LMAO. Too rich.

I'm not an "ISF random". I'm the person you directed to that video of Shapiro as evidence that systemic racism is false and who rebutted Shapiro's claim with facts and citations. If you'd like to rebut those sources by providing your own evidence that they are incorrect, I invite you to do so. Or, you can just continue with meaningless and none too witty retorts.
Old 6th September 2021, 02:56 PM   #172
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

The number of times Shapiro has been trumped or destroyed by “randos” is innumerable.

“*********** Aquaman?!” Is my personal favorite.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2021, 03:05 PM   #173
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

She is very good at "moderate" diversity training, that does things such as telling people how to be "less white". Yes, a grifter.

This sort of racist garbage removes her credibility. I don't care what her education might be. It's embarrassing stuff, tbh.
When you c & p something, even from Wikipedia which this is, it's incumbent upon you to provide the link or, at the very least, the source.

What she said is not 'racist'. It's true. It's only 'racist' to those who deny systemic racism exists and that white people can be and have been oppressive, arrogant, certain, defensive, ignorant, and not very humble when it comes to how they view and treat minorities. Unless you think that those very traits do not constitute racism? For example, just listen to how the former president talked about minorities and what he thinks of them. I'm using him as an example because he represents the thoughts of many people who voted for him.
Here are some good examples:

Quote:
They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.
Quote:
We cannot continue to allow thousands upon thousands of people to pour into our country, many of whom have the same thought process as this savage killer. [the Pulse nightclub killer]
Quote:
Quote:
They are being released by the tens of thousands into our communities with no regard for the impact on public safety or resources.
At this very moment, large, well-organized caravans of migrants are marching towards our southern border. Some people call it an “invasion.” It’s like an invasion. They have violently overrun the Mexican border. You saw that two days ago. These are tough people, in many cases. A lot of young men, strong men. And a lot of men that maybe we don’t want in our country.
And more:

Quote:
"Your home will go down in value and crime rates will rapidly rise," he said. "People have worked all their lives to get into a community, and now they're going to watch it go to hell. Not going to happen, not while I'm here."
(Trump is referring to the 2015 Fair Housing regulation.)

And:
Quote:
“They want to put low-cost housing in the suburbs, and that would mean abolishing, ruining the suburbs. It has already begun. It’s been going on for years.”
You do know who the largest group of people who live in low-cost housing is, don't you? Hint: they ain't white.
Old 6th September 2021, 03:09 PM   #174
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
The number of times Shapiro has been trumped or destroyed by “randos” is innumerable.
Just not in this case.
Old 6th September 2021, 03:12 PM   #175
Warp12
Graduate Poster

You do know who the largest group of people who live in low-cost housing is, don't you? Hint: they ain't white.
You know the group of people that commits 6x the murders per capita, don't you? Hint: they ain't white. Gonna blame that on racism, too? I mean, what else could be the cause, right?
Old 6th September 2021, 03:15 PM   #176
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Just not in this case.
Why not? You haven't disproved a single thing I posted showing how Shapiro was inaccurate and simplistic about school vouchers. In fact, you've made no effort to do so. If he's so right and I'm so wrong, it should be easy for you so I fail to understand* why you haven't done so.

Old 6th September 2021, 03:45 PM   #177
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

You know the group of people that commits 6x the murders per capita, don't you? Hint: they ain't white.
Ah....you "Look! Squirrel(ed)!" so effortlessly. What does the murder rate have to do with what we were discussing? Hint: nothing.

Quote:
Gonna blame that on racism, too? I mean, what else could be the cause, right?
Well, since you asked: yes; actually there is a connection. The greatest factor of being involved in criminal activity is poverty. And blacks living under the poverty line is much higher for blacks than for whites per capita: 22% vs 9% respectively.The rate is 17% for Hispanics.

Several studies have shown that structural inequality (aka systemic racism) is also linked to black crime rates:

1) Kirk, David S. (2008). "The Neighborhood Context of Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Arrest"

2) Wright, B. R. E.; Younts, C. W. (May 26, 2009). "Reconsidering the Relationship between Race and Crime: Positive and Negative Predictors of Crime among African American Youth". Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency.

3) Vélez, María B.; Krivo, Lauren J.; Peterson, Ruth D. (August 1, 2003). "Structural Inequality and Homicide: An Assessment of the Black-White Gap in Killings*". Criminology

Now, would you like to actually disprove anything I've said in my last few posts with some actual evidence or are you going to just continue with the completely irrelevant and knee-jerk retorts?
Old 6th September 2021, 03:47 PM   #178
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Ah....you "Look! Squirrel(ed)!" so effortlessly. What does the murder rate have to do with what we were discussing? Hint: nothing.

Well, since you asked: yes; actually there is a connection. The greatest factor of being involved in criminal activity is poverty. And blacks living under the poverty line is much higher for blacks than for whites per capita: 22% vs 9% respectively.The rate is 17% for Hispanics.

Several studies have shown that structural inequality (aka systemic racism) is also linked to black crime rates:

1) Kirk, David S. (2008). "The Neighborhood Context of Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Arrest"

2) Wright, B. R. E.; Younts, C. W. (May 26, 2009). "Reconsidering the Relationship between Race and Crime: Positive and Negative Predictors of Crime among African American Youth". Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency.

3) Vélez, María B.; Krivo, Lauren J.; Peterson, Ruth D. (August 1, 2003). "Structural Inequality and Homicide: An Assessment of the Black-White Gap in Killings*". Criminology

Now, would you like to actually disprove anything I've said in my last few posts with some actual evidence or are you going to just continue with the completely irrelevant and knee-jerk retorts?
This is great stuff. Fantasyland, as far as blaming everything on racism, but great.

Last edited by Warp12; 6th September 2021 at 03:50 PM.
Old 6th September 2021, 04:01 PM   #179
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacyhs
This is great stuff. Fantasyland, as far as blaming everything on racism, but great.

Well...guess that answers my question! You are nothing if not consistent.

As the saying goes: the best prediction of future behavior is past behavior.
Old 6th September 2021, 09:11 PM   #180
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

You know the group of people that commits 6x the murders per capita, don't you? Hint: they ain't white. Gonna blame that on racism, too? I mean, what else could be the cause, right?
This is dangerously close to blaming crime on a person's race. That's as polite as I can put it
Old 6th September 2021, 10:30 PM   #181
Warp12
Graduate Poster

The only reason this is on topic is because someone was lambasting Elder for his failure to jump on the systemic racism bandwagon. Is it any wonder that Elder and others scoff at "systemic racism" being the main cause for all of the woes affecting minority cultures?

Originally Posted by gabeygoat View Post
This is dangerously close to blaming crime on a person's race. That's as polite as I can put it
But, a celebrated author puts this in training materials, and it is ok:

Quote:
"To be less white is to: be less oppressive, less arrogant, less certain, less defensive, less ignorant, more humble". It also showed DiAngelo asking viewers to "break with white solidarity".
I mean, it is one thing to point out a huge disparity in murder stats, and say, "I don't think we can blame this on racism". It would be another to say, "being less black means being less murderous".

Even if you don't agree with Larry Elder on the topic at hand, you have to see the ridiculous double standard, here. Anyway, I’m not debating it any further in this thread.
Old 6th September 2021, 11:21 PM   #182
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

The only reason this is on topic is because someone was lambasting Elder for his failure to jump on the systemic racism bandwagon. Is it any wonder that Elder and others scoff at "systemic racism" being the main cause for all of the woes affecting minority cultures?
The "systemic racism bandwagon". I see. Another way to put that would be "denying reality because it's easier to just blame an entire ethnicity for their situation rather than acknowledge any responsibility for it."

Quote:
But, a celebrated author puts this in training materials, and it is ok:
As I stated before, but which you (unsurprisingly) failed to ever address:

Quote:
It's only 'racist' to those who deny systemic racism exists and that white people can be and have been oppressive, arrogant, certain, defensive, ignorant, and not very humble when it comes to how they view and treat minorities.
As a white person, and someone who is at least honest with herself about racism, white Americans have been every bit all of those things. Just go to a Trump rally and hear people cheer on Dear Leader when he blows that dog whistle loud and clear.

Quote:
I mean, it is one thing to point out a huge disparity in murder stats, and say, "I don't think we can blame this on racism". It would be another to say, "being less black means being less murderous".
Actually, inferring the latter from your statement that "the group of people that commits 6x the murders per capita... ain't white" is pretty logical.

Quote:
Even if you don't agree with Larry Elder on the topic at hand, you have to see the ridiculous double standard, here.
Nope...don't have to see that at all because it's not a double standard at all.

Quote:
Anyway, I’m not debating it any further in this thread.
A debate requires both sides presenting an argument supported by evidence and the opposing side countering that argument with evidence. And only one of us was doing that.
Old 7th September 2021, 12:03 AM   #183
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Ben Shapiro only convinces the gullible who can't tell the difference between a reasoned argument and a gish gallop.

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 7th September 2021 at 12:09 AM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2021, 12:08 AM   #184
Shadowdweller
Graduate Poster

LMAO. Too rich.
Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post

“*********** Aquaman?!” Is my personal favorite.
Ben Shapiro's entire shtick is to flood "discussion" with blatantly spurious information that is -just- obscure enough that Fox New partisans can't be bothered to make even a token effort at fact-checking. He gets "destroyed" by literally everyone who is knowledgable about whatever subject he's raving about or patient enough to look up his claims.

Example: Claiming that George Floyd had 3x the "lethal" amount of Fentanyl in his blood, despite obvious proof otherwise - including the very autopsy report that established what Floyd's blood fentanyl levels were in the first place.

Last edited by Shadowdweller; 7th September 2021 at 12:10 AM.
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2021, 01:46 PM   #185
Donal
Illuminator

I'm sure you know who Ben Shapiro is.
He's like The Big Bang Theory TV show. What stupid people think smart people sound like.
Old 8th September 2021, 12:16 AM   #186
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Following Dear Leader's playbook, Fox is now playing for their audience The Big Lie Part Deux: Rigged in California!

Quote:
Fox host Tomi Lahren pushed forth a growing Fox News narrative on Tuesday that California Gov. Gavin Newsom will only survive the California recall by rigging the election, outright claiming that the “only thing” that will save him is “voter fraud.”

Quote:
With the California recall only a week away and recent polls showing Newsom now enjoys a comfortable double-digit lead, Lahren insisted on Tuesday’s broadcast of Outnumbered that the governor was actually in serious trouble of losing.

“Yes, Gavin Newsom has raised a whole lot of money from teachers’ unions and special interests and tech, but that money is not going to save him,” she declared, before quickly going down the conspiratorial rabbit hole.

“The only thing that will save Gavin Newsom is voter fraud,” the pro-Trump firebrand exclaimed. “So, as they say, stay woke, pay attention to the voter fraud going on in California, because it’s going to have big consequences not only for that state, but for upcoming elections.”

Conservative talk radio host Larry Elder, who is the top-polling Republican candidate in the recall effort, has similarly suggested election fraud will allow Newsom to prevail, pointing to voting machines and programs designed to help disabled voters as potential culprits. (These myths have been thoroughly debunked, of course.)
https://www.thedailybeast.com/fox-ho...is-voter-fraud

This is a good example of the damage that Trump and the GOP have done, and continue to do, to the very bedrock of our democracy: destroying our confidence in the integrity of our elections. Is every election that the GOP fears they will lose/lost going to be the target of their "rigged election" crap? We saw on Jan. 6 what that can lead to. Shameless. Just shameless.
Old 8th September 2021, 07:05 AM   #187
plague311
Great minds think...

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen someone attempt to use Ben Shapiro as a "source" outside of Twitter before. It's kind of weird to see out in the wild.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2021, 10:36 AM   #188
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen someone attempt to use Ben Shapiro as a "source" outside of Twitter before. It's kind of weird to see out in the wild.
I've never seen anyone claim Reuters, Forbes and Investopedia are 'liberal leaning' before and facts, including actual quotes of what a person said, are 'biased opinions', either.
Old 8th September 2021, 10:46 AM   #189
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I hope it becomes more common so I can use the pickup line:

"Facts don't care about your feelings, but I do".
Old 8th September 2021, 10:51 AM   #190
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I hope it becomes more common so I can use the pickup line:

"Facts don't care about your feelings, but I do".
Don't you know that empathy is seen as a weakness in the Age of Trump?
Old 8th September 2021, 12:41 PM   #191
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Pretty much pure Ayn Rand. Empahty and compassion are tools the weak "parasites" use to undermine the strong . As much as Rand never tired of denying Nietzche was a big influence on her. in fact her philisophy was pretty much Nietzche's "superman" routine with a thin cover of being a philosophy of "Reason".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2021, 12:46 PM   #192
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Well it is also a sin to many Christians

https://baptistnews.com/article/have.../#.YTkS145Kjcs.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2021, 01:39 PM   #193
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

ANother sign the recall is in trouble: Some GOPers are already screaming about election fraud....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2021, 05:24 PM   #194
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Well it is also a sin to many Christians

https://baptistnews.com/article/have.../#.YTkS145Kjcs.
Old 9th September 2021, 06:25 AM   #195
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
California needs to rewrite its threshold on signatures to trigger a recall (or abolish the recall altogether). It's ridiculous that a new governor can be installed with a fraction of the vote.
We love democracy. Except when we don't.

And direct democracy and bare transient majorities authorizing big changes are great.

Except when they aren't.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2021, 08:38 AM   #196
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Larry Elder seems to have stirred up some controversy, regarding reparations:

Quote:
“When people talk about reparations, do they really want to have that conversation?” he asked. “Like it or not, slavery was legal. Their legal property was taken away from them after the Civil War, so you could make an argument that the people that are owed reparations are not only just Black people but also the people whose ‘property’ was taken away after the end of the Civil War.”
Quote:
In response, Elder threaded the end of the Trans-Atlantic slave trade in the U.K. with avoiding a Civil War there thanks to its government “compensating slave owners” with “substantial amounts of money after they lost their property.”
Quote:
Per the Centre for the Study of the Legacies of British Slavery (via The Grio/Yahoo!), after the Slavery Abolition Act of 1833 was passed in the U.K., former slave owners received £20 million in compensation from the British Slave Compensation Commission.

https://www.essence.com/news/larry-e...call-election/

I can see where some may consider his views mildly offensive. I strongly suspect that he is not considering all of the historical facts. I do know for certain, however, that this a bold stance to take while on the campaign trail.

I have to say, if this guy is somehow elected, it will be amazingly awesome. Imagine the chaos that will ensue.

Last edited by Warp12; 9th September 2021 at 08:49 AM.
Old 9th September 2021, 10:14 AM   #197
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

I have to say, if this guy is somehow elected, it will be amazingly awesome. Imagine the chaos that will ensue.
I've got to agree. He'd certainly be appreciated as California's first Black Governor by all of the BLM and CRT ideologues.
Old 9th September 2021, 10:23 AM   #198
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Well...guess that answers my question! You are nothing if not consistent.

As the saying goes: the best prediction of future behavior is past behavior.
Interesting. I'll add 'racist' along with misogynist to things I know about him.

Why is it that the hard right wing fascists always end up as racists?

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2021, 10:37 AM   #199
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Larry Elder seems to have stirred up some controversy, regarding reparations:

https://www.essence.com/news/larry-e...call-election/

I can see where some may consider his views mildly offensive. I strongly suspect that he is not considering all of the historical facts. I do know for certain, however, that this a bold stance to take while on the campaign trail.

Is that your desired goal? For more chaos to ensue, especially during a pandemic?
Old 9th September 2021, 11:17 AM   #200
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Is that your desired goal? For more chaos to ensue, especially during a pandemic?
I'm afraid that the pandemic doesn't trump democracy, although some would like to use it towards those ends, obviously.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics