IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2021 elections , California politics , Gavin Newsom

Old 9th September 2021, 11:22 AM   #201
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
I'm afraid that the pandemic doesn't trump democracy, although some would like to use it towards those ends, obviously.
Glad to hear you're opposing the right, and their attempts to dismantle democracy in the USA.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2021, 11:24 AM   #202
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Seems to me that these right wing freaks would have a better chance of winning if they kept their more freakish opinions on the down low.

Newsom may be generally unpopular, but every time one of these reactionary ghouls open their mouths, the stakes of this recall election become much clearer.
Old 9th September 2021, 11:51 AM   #203
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Is that your desired goal? For more chaos to ensue, especially during a pandemic?
I'm afraid that the pandemic doesn't trump democracy, although some would like to use it towards those ends, obviously.
That's not answering the question. But what else is new?

Nor does your response have anything to do with my post as it had nothing to do with "democracy" being affected. My point was your stated delight of ensuing "chaos" if Elder were elected.

As usual:

Of course, the irony of claiming the pandemic is being used to "trump" democracy coming from a supporter of the party that is claiming the election was 'rigged' and 'stolen' is eye-popping.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2021, 11:57 AM   #204
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Nor does your response have anything to do with my post as it had nothing to do with "democracy" being affected. My point was your stated delight of ensuing "chaos" if Elder were elected.

As usual:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...a567be034e.png

Of course, the irony of claiming the pandemic is being used to "trump" democracy coming from a supporter of the party that is claiming the election was 'rigged' and 'stolen' is eye-popping.
One party wants to expand voter registration, and encourage everyone who can vote, to vote. Weather by mail, or in person; it doesn't matter. Just vote.

The other party claims election fraud, works to discourage voter registration, and wants to limit how and when people can vote.

Shalamar is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2021, 11:59 AM   #205
Warp12
Graduate Poster

As usual:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...a567be034e.png

Your implication is that somehow chaos should be avoided....and with a silly disclaimer about "the pandemic". Like we should avoid the results of a democratic process, due to such a thing. Silly, but not unexpected.
Old 9th September 2021, 12:00 PM   #206
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
One party wants to expand voter registration, and encourage everyone who can vote, to vote. Weather by mail, or in person; it doesn't matter. Just vote.
You got that right.
Old 9th September 2021, 12:03 PM   #207
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

You got that right.
Is that why you want a one party conservative state in the US? Because the Eeeeevil libs want and encourage every citizen to vote?

Old 9th September 2021, 12:11 PM   #208
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Your implication is that somehow chaos should be avoided....and with a silly disclaimer about "the pandemic". Like we should avoid the results of a democratic process, due to such a thing. Silly, but not unexpected.
Wow...I want to avoid chaos...and during a pandemic...what a horrible idea! Besides, you're the one who is embracing the idea of possible chaos:

Quote:
I have to say, if this guy is somehow elected, it will be amazingly awesome. Imagine the chaos that will ensue.
But you have falsely tried to connect that to my somehow wanting to avoid the democratic process. Have I said anything about stopping the recall? No. Have I said anything about not recognizing the results of that recall? No. Stop being so dishonest.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2021, 12:13 PM   #209
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

You got that right.
Because expanding voter registration to include everyone who can legally vote is a bad thing, right? I don't think anyone here is unaware of what you're really saying.
Old 9th September 2021, 12:19 PM   #210
plague311
Great minds think...

It seems to be a tossup in the news on if Newsom has a double digit lead for recall or not. I check the gambling sites more than the polls and those seem to think Newsom is comfortably ok for now.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2021, 12:21 PM   #211
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Because expanding relaxing voter registration rules to include everyone who can legally
possibly cast a vote is a bad thing, right? I don't think anyone here is unaware aware of what you're really saying.
Fixed.
Old 9th September 2021, 12:21 PM   #212
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
It seems to be a tossup in the news on if Newsom has a double digit lead for recall or not. I check the gambling sites more than the polls and those seem to think Newsom is comfortably ok for now.
Celebration dinner at French Laundry when this is all over
Old 9th September 2021, 12:24 PM   #213
Warp12
Graduate Poster

I will be shocked if he loses. But, then again, I was also shocked when Trump won.
Old 9th September 2021, 12:25 PM   #214
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Fixed.
No, no. We do get what you're at. You want only conservatives to run for office, and only conservatives to vote (preferably white landowners).

You're on record that you dislike Democrats/libs attempting to expand voter registration for citizens.

Old 9th September 2021, 12:27 PM   #215
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Gambling sites don't set odds based on winning and losing, but on attracting gamblers. They are seeking an equal number of players on both sides. That way they win regardless of the proposition outcome.
Old 9th September 2021, 12:29 PM   #216
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
No, no. We do get what you're at. You want only conservatives to run for office, and only conservatives to vote (preferably white landowners).

You're on record that you dislike Democrats/libs attempting to expand voter registration for citizens.
Old 9th September 2021, 12:31 PM   #217
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs
Because expanding relaxing voter registration rules to include everyone who can legally
possibly cast a vote is a bad thing, right? I don't think anyone here is unaware aware of what you're really saying.

Fixed.
Please list exactly what voter registration rules Dems want to relax or change.

By the way, your second 'fix' doesn't even make any sense. But that's par for the course.
Old 9th September 2021, 12:36 PM   #218
Warp12
Graduate Poster

By the way, your second 'fix' doesn't even make any sense. But that's par for the course.
Quote:
I don't think anyone here is aware of what you're really saying.
Confusing to some, I guess.
Old 9th September 2021, 12:37 PM   #219
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Gambling sites don't set odds based on winning and losing, but on attracting gamblers. They are seeking an equal number of players on both sides. That way they win regardless of the proposition outcome.
That very well might be, I don't know. I do know that the gambling sites I've used around the elections have given me a better idea of what's happening than polls have over time.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2021, 01:43 PM   #220
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Speaking of peaceful protestors in gorilla masks throwing things at black mayoral candidates, I was going to start a “Running for office while black” thread.

I decided I’m too mature for such a thing.
Old 9th September 2021, 03:03 PM   #221
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Speaking of peaceful protestors in gorilla masks throwing things at black mayoral candidates, I was going to start a “Running for office while black” thread.

I decided I’m too mature for such a thing.
The woman in the gorilla mask threw an egg at a black gubernatorial candidate. But it's totally not racist because the black candidate is a well known White supremacist.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2021, 03:06 PM   #222
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
The woman in the gorilla mask threw an egg at a black gubernatorial candidate. But it's totally not racist because the black candidate is a well known White supremacist.
<Clayton Bigsby has entered the chat>

Old 9th September 2021, 03:17 PM   #223
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think it's lcear why one of our right wingers wants chaos. Anyhting to make the Dems look bad.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2021, 03:49 PM   #224
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think it's lcear why one of our right wingers wants chaos. Anyhting to make the Dems look bad.

I gotta go with troll at this point. Angry, flailing, attention seeking pointless posts meant to stir up crap is all I see (what I can see that is).

Someone above said this recall is democracy in action. Not even close. You'd think the Democrats would have fixed this recall process after the last one. Have they even tried?

Hard to say how the votes will go on election day. Many Republicans are afraid of mail-in voting (that's the claim anyways) and have not voted yet. Then again, the Repubs did win a mail-in only election in California last year in May (I think). Must have been a lot of fraud
Old 9th September 2021, 04:49 PM   #225
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Confusing to some, I guess.
So you can't list exactly what voter registration rules Dems want to relax or change. Gotcha.
Old 9th September 2021, 07:49 PM   #226
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

So you can't list exactly what voter registration rules Dems want to relax or change. Gotcha.
Can you?
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2021, 10:00 PM   #227
HoverBoarder
Graduate Poster

I will be shocked if he loses. But, then again, I was also shocked when Trump won.
The main factor in this recall election is turnout. If anything, all of the insistence that Newsom is ahead by double digits, and the recall doesn't stand a chance has a lot of parallels to the Clinton/Trump race.

If people think that their side is automatically going to win, and there is no point in turning out for their one vote, than turnout will suffer. On the other hand Republicans saw how this worked to their favor in the first Trump election, and they are also highly motivated to oust Newsom.

You can see that today in early CA results with turnout in some heavily Republican counties as high as 48%, and turnout in some heavily Democratic Countries as low as 10%.

Last edited by HoverBoarder; 9th September 2021 at 10:14 PM.
HoverBoarder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2021, 10:09 PM   #228
HoverBoarder
Graduate Poster

Also important to note that Democrats tend to vote more heavily by mail while Republicans vote more heavily in person, so those rates do not account for that.

Only 28% of votes are in so far.
CA county recall turnout map
HoverBoarder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2021, 10:22 PM   #229
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I never claimed that because there are none. That was Warp12. You might want to read the posts again. I bolded his 'fixes' to make it easier for you.

Because expanding voter registration to include everyone who can legally vote is a bad thing, right? I don't think anyone here is unaware of what you're really saying.
Quote:
Fixed.
Originally Posted by Stacyhs

Please list exactly what voter registration rules Dems want to relax or change.

Old 10th September 2021, 09:54 AM   #230
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
We love democracy. Except when we don't.

And direct democracy and bare transient majorities authorizing big changes are great.

Except when they aren't.

Dumb. The structurally questionable system is being exploited by bad-faith actors. A majority of Californians agree that it's silly that a sitting governor could get 49% of voters while 20% want some nutjob, yet the nut job prevails despite far less support. That's not exactly rule by the people. It certainly does not satisfy the preferences of voters. But the GOP is in it to win it; they're not committed to moral principles, let alone democratic principles. It's a power-grab.
Diablo: You're a lousy bigot. Apologise and withdraw that remark.
Cain: Nah.

Last edited by Cain; 10th September 2021 at 09:55 AM.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2021, 11:39 AM   #231
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by HoverBoarder View Post
The main factor in this recall election is turnout. If anything, all of the insistence that Newsom is ahead by double digits, and the recall doesn't stand a chance has a lot of parallels to the Clinton/Trump race.

If people think that their side is automatically going to win, and there is no point in turning out for their one vote, than turnout will suffer. On the other hand Republicans saw how this worked to their favor in the first Trump election, and they are also highly motivated to oust Newsom.

You can see that today in early CA results with turnout in some heavily Republican counties as high as 48%, and turnout in some heavily Democratic Countries as low as 10%.
But Newsom has Fear on his side. Fear the Elder will become another Governor Death".Fear us a great motivator.
And do I need t oreming you that CHilary won the popular vote by a decent margin, problem was the electorial collets. We don't have an electorial college in California.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 10th September 2021 at 11:41 AM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2021, 01:21 PM   #232
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

This didn’t go well for Elder.

https://twitter.com/drjasonjohnson/s...953394178?s=21

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2021, 01:32 PM   #233
marting
Master Poster

The R's I know here in Calif. aren't very enthusiastic about Elder. While he does have a radio show base, he's not exactly mainstream R. I suspect R turnout will be even lower than D turnout. And many R's will vote to retain the governor.
Old 12th September 2021, 04:47 PM   #234
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by marting View Post
The R's I know here in Calif. aren't very enthusiastic about Elder. While he does have a radio show base, he's not exactly mainstream R. I suspect R turnout will be even lower than D turnout. And many R's will vote to retain the governor.
It's no secret that Elder was not the guy GOP leaders wanted to be the #1 contender to replace Newsom. They really thouhg Cox or the Ex Mayor of San Diego would be the main contender.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th September 2021, 06:49 PM   #235
mgidm86
Philosopher

That's the problem with the Recall system. It equates to "Let's throw out this guy and see where the pieces fall"
Old 12th September 2021, 06:54 PM   #236
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

CA really needs to recall their recall system. It stinks.
Old 12th September 2021, 06:58 PM   #237
kevbo
Thinker

CA really needs to recall their recall system. It stinks.
At the very least raise the number of signatures required, and if recalled require a run-off for the top vote getters.
kevbo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2021, 06:16 AM   #238
heymatto70
Thinker

They could just have a ski race to see who should be the next governor.

https://bojackhorseman.fandom.com/wi...anutbutter_Run
heymatto70 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2021, 03:57 PM   #239
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

It looks like Newsom will survive the recall:
Quote:
Momentum has turned strongly against the effort to recall Gov. Gavin Newsom with just days to go before voting ends, a change that comes after a deluge of political ads and support from leading Democrats who have slammed the effort as a Republican power grab.
According to a UC Berkeley Institute of Governmental Studies poll cosponsored by the Los Angeles Times released Friday, 60.1% of likely voters surveyed oppose recalling Newsom compared with 38.5% in favor of ousting the governor. Fewer than 2% of likely voters remained undecided or declined to answer, suggesting the issue is largely settled in the minds of California voters.

The findings, which were gathered by pollsters between Aug. 30 and Sept. 6, align with results from a batch of recent independent polls, all of which showed a decisive advantage for Newsom as the Sept. 14 recall election approaches.
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ifornia-recall
Old 13th September 2021, 04:11 PM   #240
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Of course, Trump, GOP sycophants and Elder are all now screaming "election fraud" because the latest polls indicate Newsom will win. Trump even claimed people were making "their own ballots". The math flies in the face of these absurd claims:

There are 2X as many Dems and GOP registered in CA
Dems hold every single statewide office in CA
Republicans haven't won a single statewide election in 15 years which was AHHHHNOLD in 2006.

But, now...Newsom will win because the election is 'rigged'. All this is a direct result of Trump's BIG LIE. Just another reminder of the damage that asshat has done to this country.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics