IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump conspiracies

Old 16th August 2021, 01:06 PM   #161
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Groucho Marx has a better chance of being declared president than Trump has of being reinstated. Certainly his approval rating would be more positive, though it's not clear that he'd want to be president of a country that would vote for him.
You mean Rufus T Firefly....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2021, 01:24 PM   #162
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
You mean Rufus T Firefly....
I love Groucho, so I wouldn't wish the current state of American politics on him, though I bet he'd have something to say about it if he were still around.

Last edited by eerok; 16th August 2021 at 01:26 PM.
eerok is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2021, 04:23 PM   #163
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Maybe the very fact that most minority voters went democratic is a root cause of this CT.
I think most of them say "fraud" but mean "black and or brown people voted".
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2021, 04:39 PM   #164
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I think most of them say "fraud" but mean "black and or brown people voted".
Sadly, the American Civil War seems to remain essentially unresolved.
Old 16th August 2021, 04:47 PM   #165
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

It will get worse over the next two decades. Based on the recent census, nervous whites will probably double down on both racist nationalism and moves toward authoritarian leaders.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2021, 04:58 PM   #166
eerok
Quixoticist

It will get worse over the next two decades. Based on the recent census, nervous whites will probably double down on both racist nationalism and moves toward authoritarian leaders.
I'm more optimistic than that, but that might just be me.
Old 16th August 2021, 07:08 PM   #167
Reformed Offlian
Muse

I'm more optimistic than that, but that might just be me.
It's not that they might succeed that worries me, but what they will do when they fail.
Reformed Offlian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2021, 05:58 AM   #168
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

The people with brains against the Brain dead, I don't see a problem there.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2021, 02:25 PM   #169
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Which ,if true, will probably lead into Civil War 2....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2021, 02:27 PM   #170
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

What concerns me in one we were lucky in that Trump proved to be so incompetent and so unlikeable as to alienate all but the hard core. What I am scared about is slicker,smarter version of Trump.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 17th August 2021, 03:41 PM   #171
Hans
Philosopher

What I am scared about is slicker,smarter version of Trump.
Yes he was grossly incompetent politically - a smarter person with some political savvy using his same techniques - but with intelligence - could compromise US Democracy.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2021, 05:09 PM   #172
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

What concerns me in one we were lucky in that Trump proved to be so incompetent and so unlikeable as to alienate all but the hard core. What I am scared about is slicker,smarter version of Trump.
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Yes he was grossly incompetent politically - a smarter person with some political savvy using his same techniques - but with intelligence - could compromise US Democracy.
Doubtful you could have a slick, smart operator who is also as dumb as a post and a proponent of cack-handed, sickeningly repulsive policy like the Tangerine Ballbag. Mutually exclusive prospects.

A slick, smart operator with vicious, insidious, destructive policies hidden in plain sight is another thing altogether.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2021, 06:44 PM   #173
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
From what I've seen of Qanon populism, "compromise" is putting it lightly.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2021, 12:55 PM   #174
catsmate
No longer the 1

Blancoes, please.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2021, 09:01 AM   #175
Leftus
Master Poster

I think the Traveler is laying low because when he is right, that will make the dunk that much more epic.

The truth of the matter is even if everything about "the steal" was true, it doesn't put Trump back in office. That ship has not only sailed, but has been put into drydock. It just can't happen. There is no way, per the Constitution, to make it happen. The Supreme Court lacks the jurisdiction. I have a better chance of becoming president, than Trump. Oh, it would be a bloodbath, but it's possible.

Right now, there are 7 layers of management between me and the IRS commishioner. If we operate under the assumption that you take the job of your manager when they leave, I'm right there. From there Yellen has to go. Then it's a pair of Speakers, Sec of State and a VP and P and can you say President Leftus. Don't worry if you can't we will have re-education camps to the point people will call me the education President.

That's my path to the Presidency. With the exception of the bloodbath, it's totally legit. Trump path is even more delusional in that he doesn't have one.

The above path is not really a path, but what would have to actually happen to my mid-upperish level civil servant ass to become the leader of the free world.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2021, 09:30 AM   #176
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
I think the Traveler is laying low because when he is right, that will make the dunk that much more epic.
While, of course, when he turns out on September 1st to be wrong, that will somehow not matter in the least.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2021, 09:36 AM   #177
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Isn't the exalted one supposed to be reinstated at his rally tomorrow?
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2021, 10:14 AM   #178
Leftus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Wait, rather than bludgeon my way to the top, I could have just held a rally? I'm going to owe a few survivors an apology, to say the least.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2021, 04:15 PM   #179
Kid Eager
Philosopher

What is the latest special date for his resurrection? I’m having trouble keeping up.
Old 21st August 2021, 01:39 AM   #180
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post
What is the latest special date for his resurrection? I’m having trouble keeping up.
I think it's currently the 32nd of Keepsendingthecashinber

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2021, 09:38 AM   #181
8enotto
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
So.... Why didn't I see anything on the news yet?

Last edited by 8enotto; 21st August 2021 at 09:54 AM.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2021, 09:48 AM   #182
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
So.... Whay didn't I see anything on the news yet?
It’s a top secret reinstatement. Only a special few know about it.
Old 21st August 2021, 09:55 AM   #183
8enotto
Master Poster

Dammit, they must have stopped posting the super secret stuff on GUTTER already.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2021, 01:15 PM   #184
Leftus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
So.... Why didn't I see anything on the news yet?
Nobody told me to stop working on projects signed into law by Biden. Yet. If there really was a CTRL-Z done, wouldn't that invalidate everything he signed?
Old 23rd August 2021, 05:44 PM   #185
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Wait, rather than bludgeon my way to the top, I could have just held a rally? I'm going to owe a few survivors an apology, to say the least.
"Not leaving survivors means never having to apologize."
-Jack Handy (maybe)

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2021, 07:13 PM   #186
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

It's 24-Aug here in Australia now. Was there a memo we missed? Most we saw was Toupee Fiasco being booed at his own rally by his own people. Is that code for something?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2021, 07:22 PM   #187
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
How many of you think Trump will be reinstated before the end of this month.
In short answer to your thread title. No. [/thread]

In a slightly longer version. No, it's not. [/thread]

The long version. There is no legal or constitutional mechanism that can allow Trump to become President again before 2025, barring a strange outcome to the 2022 elections.

Even if some proof appeared that the election really was fraudulent, which it won't because they weren't, and both Biden and Harris had to resign, Nancy Pelosi would become President.

There is a constitutional line of succession and Trump is simply not in it, and so cannot be reinstated under any circumstances because with President Pro Tempore of the Senate being Patrick Leahy, there is no Republican in that chain of succession to make him VP and then resign.

[/thread]

And no, the SCotUS can't overturn the election and declare Trump the winner, they simply don't have that power and that's not how election laws work.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 23rd August 2021 at 07:24 PM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2021, 07:53 PM   #188
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
It's 24-Aug here in Australia now. Was there a memo we missed? Most we saw was Toupee Fiasco being booed at his own rally by his own people. Is that code for something?
They were shouting "Boo-urns".
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2021, 07:12 AM   #189
Leftus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
He had the nerve to suggest people get the vaccine. THEY got to him, I guess.
Old 24th August 2021, 07:18 AM   #190
Leftus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
In short answer to your thread title. No. [/thread]

In a slightly longer version. No, it's not. [/thread]

The long version. There is no legal or constitutional mechanism that can allow Trump to become President again before 2025, barring a strange outcome to the 2022 elections.
2022, GOP majority in the house and senate. Trump is selected by the house to become the Speaker (turns out, you don't need to be a member of the house). Double impeachment. The house is most certainly going to flip, and perhaps the senate, but getting to 60 would be the challenge.

But, yeah, some sort of decree from SCOTUS is pure fantasy. It just doesn't work that way.
Old 24th August 2021, 08:02 AM   #191
Disbelief
Master Poster

He had the nerve to suggest people get the vaccine. THEY got to him, I guess.
Looks like Alex Jones is turning on Trump.

https://news.yahoo.com/alex-jones-tu...192523184.html

Quote:
“Shame on you, Trump. Seriously.

“Hey, if you don’t have the good sense to save yourself and your political career, that’s okay.

“At least you’re going to get some good Republicans elected, and we like you. But, my God, maybe you’re not that bright. Maybe Trump’s actually a dumbass."

Quote me where I said conspiracists use evidence. - mchapman
Disbelief is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2021, 08:32 AM   #192
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
2022, GOP majority in the house and senate. Trump is selected by the house to become the Speaker (turns out, you don't need to be a member of the house). Double impeachment. The house is most certainly going to flip, and perhaps the senate, but getting to 60 would be the challenge.

But, yeah, some sort of decree from SCOTUS is pure fantasy. It just doesn't work that way.
This is the closest thing to a real working possibility that has been promoted anywhere I've seen, although it would require him running and being elected to a seat in the House of Representatives in 22, somehow. I'm sure there's a district someplace that he could set up housekeeping in so he could easily win it, were he truly motivated, but he'd have to start now. I just don't see that happening.
The scary thing is, that it's not only possible (However remotely), it could, conceivably, lead to a second term were he to get reelected in 2024 afterward. The president isn't limited to two terms, they're limited to 10 years in office, at least last I checked, and that has been a while. The last time it could have happened was LBJ, but he chose not to run again.

Last edited by Mike!; 24th August 2021 at 08:37 AM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2021, 09:06 AM   #193
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
This is the closest thing to a real working possibility that has been promoted anywhere I've seen, although it would require him running and being elected to a seat in the House of Representatives in 22, somehow.

As Leftus noted, the Speaker is not actually required to be a member of the House, although every one so far has been a member.

The Speaker of the House: House Officer, Party Leader, and Representative

An archived copy of a May 2017 report from the Congressional Research Service.
Originally Posted by Page 5 of the linked PDF
In fact, there is no requirement that the Speaker be a Member of the House.

The footnote accompanying that statement includes several examples of non-House members receiving votes to become Speaker, although they didn't win in those cases. Colin Powell has received votes to become Speaker on several occasions.

Last edited by Armitage72; 24th August 2021 at 09:08 AM.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2021, 10:46 AM   #194
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
As Leftus noted, the Speaker is not actually required to be a member of the House, although every one so far has been a member.

The Speaker of the House: House Officer, Party Leader, and Representative

An archived copy of a May 2017 report from the Congressional Research Service.

The footnote accompanying that statement includes several examples of non-House members receiving votes to become Speaker, although they didn't win in those cases. Colin Powell has received votes to become Speaker on several occasions.
Wow, I stand corrected, I was not aware of that. I had assumed it at least required being a member of the House. Just because it's never been done doesn't mean it can't be done.
Old 25th August 2021, 02:20 AM   #195
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

What do you think I meant by "barring a strange outcome to the 2022 elections"?

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2021, 02:28 AM   #196
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

smartcooky has a birthday
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
They have not stopped trying to assassinate him.

Seems the forum is unanimous, There is no way.

Seems the u-tube I look at and the u-tube you all see is not the same.
Where there is your problem right there.... you are mistaking YouTube for a fact-based news source

Pro Tip: Its not!
► Evolution is "survival of the fittest" - the fittest being those who are stronger, healthier and better adapted. Covid-19 has changed that. The fittest are now the well informed, logical, science believers who listen to the experts and get vaccinated.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2021, 07:51 AM   #197
Leftus
Master Poster

What do you think I meant by "barring a strange outcome to the 2022 elections"?
The GOP taking both the house (flip 10 seats) and the Senate (to get a impeachable amount, 10 seats) is not strange. People will be taking out their frustrations with this administration in a year or so. They would need an impressive number of home runs to make people forget Afghanistan. And the "social infrastructure" might be, at best, a bunt single.

The hard part is Trump getting elected speaker. I doubt that there are 200 plus GOP Reps still beholden to him. Of course, if the Dems play ball and get Trump in at 2 years +1, say he takes over January 19 2022 he would be barred from running again. 3D chess! Or at 11:59AM January 19th, if you want to cut it close. The Constitution limits it to two years, but any bright counting a partial day would require SCOTUS to settle it.

It's possible, in that it's totally legal, but the chances of it happening? I think my plan to get me into office has a better chance.
Old 28th August 2021, 11:51 PM   #198
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

The GOP taking both the house (flip 10 seats) and the Senate (to get a impeachable amount, 10 seats) is not strange. People will be taking out their frustrations with this administration in a year or so. They would need an impressive number of home runs to make people forget Afghanistan. And the "social infrastructure" might be, at best, a bunt single.

The hard part is Trump getting elected speaker. I doubt that there are 200 plus GOP Reps still beholden to him. Of course, if the Dems play ball and get Trump in at 2 years +1, say he takes over January 19 2022 he would be barred from running again. 3D chess! Or at 11:59AM January 19th, if you want to cut it close. The Constitution limits it to two years, but any bright counting a partial day would require SCOTUS to settle it.

It's possible, in that it's totally legal, but the chances of it happening? I think my plan to get me into office has a better chance.
Getting 60 seats in the Senate would be extremely strange given the seats that will be in play. The best I can see the Republicans doing is 54.

As for Afghanistan, when people come to realise it wasn't the mess that the Republicans and media are trying to make it and in fact, Biden and his team got tens of thousands of people out of what could very easily have turned into a blood bath if certain others had been involved, I don't think it's going to help the right at all. Heck, I'd love to see an inquiry just to remind everyone that the reason that the whole thing went to pieces was Trump's deal with the Taliban and that people like Steven Miller were trying to block the evacuation of any US Allies at all. Could also put up all those clips of FOX calling the US's Afghan allies "Terrorists" and bemoaning the US rescuing them, I'm sure that would look wonderful and just so compassionate when compared to the numbers rescued by Biden's team.

Old 29th August 2021, 12:43 AM   #199
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Right now, there are 7 layers of management between me and the IRS commishioner. If we operate under the assumption that you take the job of your manager when they leave, I'm right there. From there Yellen has to go. Then it's a pair of Speakers, Sec of State and a VP and P and can you say President Leftus.

It could happen, but only if they’re all played by Alec Guinness.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 02:23 PM   #200
Leftus
Master Poster

Getting 60 seats in the Senate would be extremely strange given the seats that will be in play. The best I can see the Republicans doing is 54.
I really didn't look at the seats on offer. I probably still won't, since I've already got my own totally unworkable plan to ascend to ruler of the free world.

Quote:
As for Afghanistan, when people come to realise it wasn't the mess that the Republicans and media are trying to make it and in fact, Biden and his team got tens of thousands of people out of what could very easily have turned into a blood bath if certain others had been involved, I don't think it's going to help the right at all. Heck, I'd love to see an inquiry just to remind everyone that the reason that the whole thing went to pieces was Trump's deal with the Taliban and that people like Steven Miller were trying to block the evacuation of any US Allies at all. Could also put up all those clips of FOX calling the US's Afghan allies "Terrorists" and bemoaning the US rescuing them, I'm sure that would look wonderful and just so compassionate when compared to the numbers rescued by Biden's team.
One could argue that it is already a blood bath. It could have been worse is not a valid defense. Abandoning actual military hardware is not a sign of a planned military exit. Even in unplanned abandoning exits, we always had plan on at the very least disabling our equipment. Well, it involved some C4, perhaps a claymore or two. Granted I'm sitting a few thousand miles away but I'm sitting here thinking "we couldn't blow all that **** up?"

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories