IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th August 2021, 03:07 AM   #121
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
Interesting take. Why is necessary for us to coddle the ideology and intent of vaccine deniers and anti-maskers? Ultimately they are wilfully endangering the health and lives of them, their loved ones and their community by embracing wilful ignorance and a vindictive attitude just to one-up those they disagree with.
Is this supposed to be the dumbest argument ever? If so, I endorse it in a such a competition.

Ideology and intent. Those are the delineating factors.

Last edited by Warp12; 29th August 2021 at 03:09 AM.
Warp12 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 04:36 AM   #122
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
OMG....those comments! Pushing colloidal silver, ivermectin, and vitamins while warning not to let them put you in the hospital because that's where they'll kill you. Idiots. Just plain idiots.
I'm not sure if you arrange comments differently to me, but all the comments I'm seeing on that post are doing the opposite of what you say, or they are obviously satire.

ETA: Oh, I see you mean the comments on the Tweet, rather than the comments in Reddit. OK, you can ignore me.

Last edited by Matthew Best; 29th August 2021 at 04:38 AM.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 05:41 AM   #123
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Is this supposed to be the dumbest argument ever?
Why is it dumb? Anti-vaxxers and their enablers are keeping this pandemic rolling along, just so they can feel smug.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 06:22 AM   #124
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
If hospitals start prioritizing the vaccinated over the unvaccinated,
there will be lines around the block to get the shot. Sacrifice a few
and the rest will roll up their sleeves.

Nope.

There will be jabs and shots at the hospital, just not with the vaccine.
Old 29th August 2021, 06:55 AM   #125
zorro99
Graduate Poster

Tim Parsons: Kentucky pastor dies of Covid-19 as church preaches 'God is in control'
'We are saddened by the loss of our beloved Lead Pastor, Tim Parsons,' wrote the Lexington church in Kentucky in the Facebook post about his death

Tim Parsons: Kentucky pastor dies of Covid-19 as church preaches 'God is in control'

Pastor Tim Parsons of a Lexington church in Kentucky has died two weeks after being hospitalized for Covid-19 even as his church continued to advise members "not to worry" on its website because "God is in control." The Center Point Church announced the news of Parson's death on their Facebook page, with a picture of the deceased.

https://meaww.com/tim-parsons-kentuc...draw-people-in
Old 29th August 2021, 06:58 AM   #126
Susheel
Master Poster

Is this supposed to be the dumbest argument ever? I....
Nope.
Old 29th August 2021, 07:11 AM   #127
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
'We are saddened by the loss of our beloved Lead Pastor, Tim Parsons,' wrote the Lexington church in Kentucky in the Facebook post about his death

Pastor Tim Parsons of a Lexington church in Kentucky has died two weeks after being hospitalized for Covid-19 even as his church continued to advise members "not to worry" on its website because "God is in control." The Center Point Church announced the news of Parson's death on their Facebook page, with a picture of the deceased.

Nearer Sooner My God To Thee!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 10:11 AM   #128
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Sociopathy really does mean never having to say you're sorry.
You're right, I don't know what I was thinking. I rescind my apology. I also forgot a Klingon adage: "Never apologize, it is a sign of weakness!"
"There is a virus here — it kills people. And the only way we prevent it is to get vaccinated, to wear masks, to do social distancing, washing your hands all the time, and not just to think about, 'Well, my freedom is being kind of disturbed here.' No, screw your freedom — because with freedom comes obligations and responsibilities. You cannot just say, 'I have the right to X, Y, and Z.' When you affect other people then it gets serious." -- Arnold Schwarzenegger
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 10:13 AM   #129
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Many of his flock may soon follow him.
"There is a virus here — it kills people. And the only way we prevent it is to get vaccinated, to wear masks, to do social distancing, washing your hands all the time, and not just to think about, 'Well, my freedom is being kind of disturbed here.' No, screw your freedom — because with freedom comes obligations and responsibilities. You cannot just say, 'I have the right to X, Y, and Z.' When you affect other people then it gets serious." -- Arnold Schwarzenegger
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 10:52 AM   #130
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

If that's true, God must have really thought the guy was a dick.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 11:16 AM   #131
Steve
Philosopher

Not sure their god is the brightest bulb. Based on their beliefs, once that god kills off those idiots it is stuck with them for all eternity. Still, culling the flock is a concept I can get behind.
Old 29th August 2021, 11:56 AM   #132
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Interesting take. Why is necessary for us to coddle the ideology and intent of vaccine deniers and anti-maskers? Ultimately they are wilfully endangering the health and lives of them, their loved ones and their community by embracing wilful ignorance and a vindictive attitude just to one-up those they disagree with.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 12:00 PM   #133
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
You're right, I don't know what I was thinking. I rescind my apology. I also forgot a Klingon adage: "Never apologize, it is a sign of weakness!"
OMG...Trump is a Klingon. It makes so much sense now.....

(A 'klingon' is also what we call a bit of poop that is stuck to my dogs' butts usually, literally, by a hair.)
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 12:33 PM   #134
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
Nope.

There will be jabs and shots at the hospital, just not with the vaccine.
Then we will just have to shoot some people, won't we?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2021, 05:21 AM   #135
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Milo Yianopolis, a right wing grifter who's fallen from grace, claims to have covid and also claims to be self-treating with intravenous ivermectin injections.

Quote:
If Milo’s telegram is to be believed, and no givens there, he is dying. He has posted plummeting SpO2% numbers and increasing heart rate over about a day, having injected ivermectin to treat apparent COVID.
https://twitter.com/EmilyGorcenski/s...17412019339264

Here's his original post showing a bloody veterinary needle and IV ivermectin:

https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/s...74764347813891

Unfortunately, it's almost certainly just more lies from the notorious grifter. But fingers are crossed it's the one time he isn't lying!

ETA: I would bet that this is some gambit to claim that he was cured by Ivermectin. Nothing this guy says can be taken at face value.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 30th August 2021 at 05:48 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2021, 05:50 AM   #136
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

For the record, I cannot promise all of the people on this website are Republicans by any means, but you can extrapolate and investigate further

Www.sorryantivaxxer.com

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2021, 05:54 AM   #137
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Dancing on the graves of the dead is not cool, no matter what your political affiliation may be.
Counterpoint: Yes it is.
Old 30th August 2021, 06:15 AM   #138
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
For the record, I cannot promise all of the people on this website are Republicans by any means, but you can extrapolate and investigate further

Www.sorryantivaxxer.com
Had a good laugh at this one:

"Mike Sullivan, Rockwall, TX, Chaplain at a pawn shop?"

A fun site. Lots of happy news there.

Last edited by Steve; 30th August 2021 at 06:16 AM.
Steve is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2021, 07:19 AM   #139
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Sorry for being a sociopath, but here's another one for the woodpile. Left a pregnant wife and three kids. He made his choice, but they didn't get to. His fourth kid will never know its father.

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/s...40837021552645
Worth it to pwn the libs!
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2021, 07:25 AM   #140
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Counterpoint: Yes it is.
Hey one of my reasons to go on living is to one day arrange a road trip to go and piss on mitch McConnel's grave.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2021, 07:57 AM   #141
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

That Caleb Wallace guy left a wife whose never worked, three kids and a fourth on the way. His widow has no way to pay mounting bills.

What a foolish man. Horrible. Before he left this world did he ever even glimpse what he'd done?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Not a cow.jpg (73.2 KB, 7 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2021, 08:06 AM   #142
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Former CIA agent turned private sector conspiracy peddler, Robert David Steele, has drawn his last machine assisted breath.

Quote:
QAnon Anti-Vaxxer Called COVID a Hoax Even as His ‘Lungs Stopped Functioning’
A former CIA officer turned conspiracy theorist who claimed to be the first to call COVID-19 a hoax has died from COVID-19.

Steele’s death was confirmed by his friend and fellow conspiracy theorist Mark Tassi in a video posted to Instagram on Sunday evening. In the video Tassi says he was in touch with Steele in recent days and claimed the hospital had prevented the former CIA officer from using hydroxychloroquine tablets.
Another crank who's death will be blamed on hospital staff that didn't maintain his snake-oil regiment.
Old 30th August 2021, 08:10 AM   #143
Venom
Philosopher

Change the thread title please to match the content.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2021, 08:41 AM   #144
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Change the thread title please to match the content.
So remove the word Politicians from it?
Old 30th August 2021, 09:10 AM   #145
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Hey one of my reasons to go on living is to one day arrange a road trip to go and piss on mitch McConnel's grave.
He might be into that sort of thing, in which case your gesture would have the opposite effect from intention.

Now try to get that image out of your mind, and definitely do not think the phrase "wet turtle".
Old 30th August 2021, 09:04 PM   #146
angrysoba
Philosophile

Benny Harvey - RIP
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2021, 09:13 PM   #147
Susheel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
He might be into that sort of thing, in which case your gesture would have the opposite effect from intention.

Now try to get that image out of your mind, and definitely do not think the phrase "wet turtle".
You bastard...you utter utter bastard...

I now have to bleach my brain.
Old 30th August 2021, 11:08 PM   #148
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Dancing on the graves of the dead is not cool, no matter what your political affiliation may be.
If the Trump presidency taught me anything, it's that not everyone has value.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2021, 11:34 PM   #149
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

You bastard...you utter utter bastard...

I now have to bleach my brain.
It's going to take more than bleach to get that out of your brain. I'm thinking an entire brain transplant may be required.
Old 31st August 2021, 04:04 AM   #150
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
It's going to take more than bleach to get that out of your brain. I'm thinking an entire brain transplant may be required.
Maybe UV light?
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2021, 06:34 AM   #151
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Then we will just have to shoot some people, won't we?
In either sense.
In the last major USAian smallpox outbreak people were in fact forcibly vaccinated in New York, Boston and other cities. 'Vaccination Raids' were carried out.
And in 1919 people were shot by Health Police for not wearing masks.

I'm sure the Republicans would approve.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2021, 06:36 AM   #152
catsmate
No longer the 1

Milo Yianopolis, a right wing grifter who's fallen from grace, claims to have covid and also claims to be self-treating with intravenous ivermectin injections.

Unfortunately, it's almost certainly just more lies from the notorious grifter. But fingers are crossed it's the one time he isn't lying!

ETA: I would bet that this is some gambit to claim that he was cured by Ivermectin. Nothing this guy says can be taken at face value.
Another pathetic attempt by the child rape apologist Yiannopoulos to gain the limelight.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2021, 06:49 AM   #153
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

The grift is strong with Milo. Betting he will claim that nothing but the soothing touch of a pre-tween will help cure him.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2021, 06:56 AM   #154
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Another pathetic attempt by the child rape apologist Yiannopoulos to gain the limelight.
That's a name I hadn't heard in a while. Let's hope it's true that he has COVID-19.
Old 31st August 2021, 06:59 AM   #155
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Another conservative radio host bites the dust. Any guesses on what felled Marc "Mr. Anti-Vax" Bernier?

Quote:
Conservative Radio Host Who Called Himself 'Mr. Anti-Vax' Dies from COVID After 3 Week Battle
Marc Bernier was originally hospitalized with COVID-19 on Aug. 7
https://people.com/health/conservati...3-week-battle/

3 weeks wasting much needed hospital resources.

Continue to be impressed in the divide between the grifter pundits who have quietly got their vaccines while still spreading covid misinformation and the lower levels morons who are actually dying because they believe this nonsense. I suppose they can be commended for sincerity and having the courage of their convictions, hope that was some consolation while they slowly choked to death as their lungs petrified with covid infection.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 31st August 2021 at 07:01 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2021, 10:51 AM   #156
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post

Www.sorryantivaxxer.com
I want to know why Audra Louise Gray, 55 is hugging a chicken.
Old 31st August 2021, 10:57 AM   #157
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Because she's a plucky gal.
Old 31st August 2021, 11:10 AM   #158
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Give insurance companies the right to refuse reimbursement if un-vaccinated people contract Covid.
That would get us to 100% pretty quick.
Old 31st August 2021, 11:11 AM   #159
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
How else would you know she cocked it all up?

I'll show myself out.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2021, 11:38 AM   #160
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The messaging is stronger when you have an anti-vaxxer die of a vaccine preventable infection. It doesn't mean one is dancing on their graves.

But I'm not surprised that you would take this position. It must be difficult knowing being a Republican is a risk factor for believing in medical woo.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics