IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Kyle Rittenhouse

Old 15th December 2021, 01:20 PM   #41
Warp12
Suspended

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Being able to kill people (the right kind of people) and escape legal consequences for doing so is a common power-fantasy of conservative gun owners, and anyone who manages to accomplish that in real life will attain celebrity in that community as a symbol of vicarious wish-fulfillment. This isn't surprising or compelling stuff.
Not the ones I know.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2021, 01:23 PM   #42
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
A romance angle and lover's quarrel with Rosenbaum?
An adventurous triangle with Jussie?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2021, 01:27 PM   #43
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I heard it was a picture book. That’s the vogue amongst the GQP now.
*Gaetz discretely closes briefcase*

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2021, 01:59 PM   #44
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
(re:the poster in post #2)
Does that say "America Fat?". I'm looking it on a laptop but not enlarged, and I can't parse it as anything else.
Old 15th December 2021, 04:05 PM   #45
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Does that say "America Fat?". I'm looking it on a laptop but not enlarged, and I can't parse it as anything else.
Bad poster design - "AmericaFest"

Life is again imitating the Onion (from November: )

carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2021, 04:08 PM   #46
Warp12
Suspended

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Someday he'll be old enough to grow a beard. That might help.
A "Riker" move. Proven effective.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2021, 04:46 PM   #47
sackett
Philosopher

Just a thought

Not the ones I know.
Maybe they don't trust you.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2021, 08:30 AM   #48
carlitos
"más divertido"

In a few hours, Mr. Rittenhouse will appear on stage just before Dustin Lynch, who has the #1 country single in the country this week. Life is very, very weird. He's building a resume as a public speaker.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2021, 09:02 AM   #49
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Not the ones I know.
So why do they want to own a gun?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2021, 09:19 AM   #50
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

It must actually be tough for an 18 yo to be thrust into all this. Most kids his age are chasing tail, doing schoolwork, and playing video games, and he has to mount a PR campaign, prob with an eye on hustling up enough support to fill his coffers for the inevitable civil suits. This is going to pigeonhole him as the Terminator for life, unless he mounts a counter PR tour, which again, rough on a teen.

All of which supports the moral of the story: Don't needlessly insert yourself in a position that you can only shoot your way out of.

Old 20th December 2021, 09:54 AM   #51
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
So why do they want to own a gun?
To be able to exercise our right to play various games, and the social interactions there of. Would you want to prohibit Soccer? I bet more people die on Soccer fields than on gun ranges any year.

Such sports are actually part of the Olympics. No thugs have ever been shot at the Olympics, nor by Olympic shooters.
Old 20th December 2021, 10:22 AM   #52
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

In a few hours, Mr. Rittenhouse will appear on stage just before Dustin Lynch, who has the #1 country single in the country this week. Life is very, very weird. He's building a resume as a public speaker.
I know the country music fan base probably leans heavily to the right, and has a large number of gun nuts and racists.

But it seems like a really dumb idea for country music artists to bring Rittenhouse in to a concert. I doubt it will bring in any new fans, you risk alienating suburban or urban fans, and you tarnish your image (especially if Rittenhouse has more legal problems down the road)

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2021, 10:30 AM   #53
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I know the country music fan base probably leans heavily to the right, and has a large number of gun nuts and racists.

But it seems like a really dumb idea for country music artists to bring Rittenhouse in to a concert. I doubt it will bring in any new fans, you risk alienating suburban or urban fans, and you tarnish your image (especially if Rittenhouse has more legal problems down the road)

I'll have to disagree with this but only based on anecdotal experience. I can't think of a single country music listener than isn't full fledged in the corner of Kyle. As I said though, just my experience.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2021, 11:03 AM   #54
autumn1971
Illuminator

Not the ones I know.
You obviously know very few, and they happen to be outliers. In fact, unless you live in an unimaginable leftist section of the US I can’t imagine you don’t hear fantasies about people’s family being assaulted just so they can shoot somebody. I have heard such musings at least three times a day for over twenty years.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2021, 01:31 PM   #55
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Quote:

I'll have to disagree with this but only based on anecdotal experience. I can't think of a single country music listener than isn't full fledged in the corner of Kyle. As I said though, just my experience.
I don't doubt that country music fans would likely be much more supportive of Rittenhouse than the general population. (I already pointed out that country music fans probably have a strong tendency to support the 'right wing'.)

But, as I suggested, I can't see his appearance attracting NEW fans. And for those concert-goers who actually wanted to listen to music, having a Rittenhouse speech seems like it would get in the way. (Like if a rock artist started a concert with "Are you ready to rock? Well, first of all we are going to discuss the supreme court nomination process.")

And most country music fans supporting Rittenhouse doesn't mean that all fans will. I am sort of a semi-country music fan, and if any of the artists I listen to started exhibiting MAGAchud dependencies, it would certainly change my opinion of them, to the point I would probably stop purchasing their records.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2021, 02:03 PM   #56
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
I'm more interested in the Ongoing Adventures of Jussie Smollett.
Yes, the other **** stick lauded as a hero on the talk and interview gravy chain. Oh wait.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2021, 03:38 PM   #57
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

They aren't "bringing him to a concert;" they are also appearing on the same stage at the "AmericaFest" douchebag convention. Kyle is a featured speaker, and then later tonight, the country artists are performing.

But, for the rest of his life, Kyle will be able to make a not-untrue statement that he once opened up for Lee Greenwood et al.
Old 20th December 2021, 05:58 PM   #58
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:

They aren't "bringing him to a concert;" they are also appearing on the same stage at the "AmericaFest" douchebag convention. Kyle is a featured speaker, and then later tonight, the country artists are performing.
Ah my mistake. I assumed it was more of a standard "perform in from of thousands of fans who are there for the music" sort of thing that they were bringing Rittenhouse in on.

Of course I still think its foolish for various artist to appear at such an event, for similar reasons that I touched on earlier. (Namely you risk alienating a part of your audience.... admittedly a small part, but you may eventually want to have concerts in places other than deep-blue states.)

We are Groot - Groot
Old 20th December 2021, 06:01 PM   #59
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if Laura Ingrahm had the boy tell her about killing the protestors while she was taking his virginity.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2021, 09:46 PM   #60
carlitos
"más divertido"

There is video of his intro at the conference. Twitter link.

https://twitter.com/az_rww/status/14...004593666?s=21
Old 20th December 2021, 11:13 PM   #61
mgidm86
Philosopher

I'd say he's at about minute 9 of his allotted 15.
Old 21st December 2021, 11:53 AM   #62
carlitos
"más divertido"

Kyle hugging Rep. Lauren Boebert.

Old 21st December 2021, 12:05 PM   #63
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Adventurous!

Old 21st December 2021, 12:27 PM   #64
SuburbanTurkey

Originally Posted by The Onion
Kyle Rittenhouse Sentenced To 45 Years Of CPAC Appearances
https://www.theonion.com/kyle-ritten...ran-1848090682
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2021, 11:09 PM   #65
Carlotta
Muse

Is there anyone else here who would like to see a deep-fake Rittenhouse movie made from Michael J. Pollard footage taken from the young thug character in Bonnie and Clyde?,
Carlotta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2021, 11:26 PM   #66
mgidm86
Philosopher

No because it would be just a tease.

What a hero! What did he do again? Bring a gun to a protest and kill some folk? My memory is fading....
Old 21st December 2021, 11:31 PM   #67
Warp12
Suspended

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
What a hero! What did he do again? Bring a gun to a protest and kill some folk? My memory is fading....
He rightfully defended himself against a hostile mob, and the resulting media lynching...and was exonerated of guilt in a court of law.

Even a born-again liberal should be able to see that. Whether they like it or not.

Last edited by Warp12; 21st December 2021 at 11:33 PM.
Old 22nd December 2021, 07:33 AM   #68
plague311
Great minds think...

He rightfully defended himself against a hostile mob, and the resulting media lynching...and was exonerated of guilt in a court of law.

Even a born-again liberal should be able to see that. Whether they like it or not.
Every Republican dream come true. Killing someone they politically disagree with and get away with it. Then have grown men across the country get doe-eyed when they explain Kyle's actions to others on the internet.

What a great country we live in.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2021, 08:34 AM   #69
Underground906
New Blood

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
No because it would be just a tease.

He's not a hero in the traditional sense in my eyes. But his actions have had the impact of one, I would wager.

The Left, with these Antifa types, have been becoming increasing warped and violent over many years. It fact Leftism as it is today, maliciously carving up people into victim and oppressor groups to create ill feeling, division, gain power, drag others down, is simply a front for every anti-social, screwed up, angry nutjob, weirdo, and pyscho to outwardly claim some kind of validity to their unhinged, extremist, hate-filled existence.

The **** do these vermin think they are? They they can go around and riot and beat people up and point guns at them. Attack them enmasse.

Well have it. But you can no-longer be surprised if instant karma firmly strikes back and the law will back the right side in court - the victims of these despicable, delusional people.

It's been on the rise for a long-time, this incredible evil from political extremist and fanatics, having their politics championed in the media, the education system, and elsewhere, which has just been emboldening them further.

Kyle defending himself and that being lawful in the US, as a Brit, my love of and admiration for the US could not get any hire. A nation that still possesses a backbone when it comes to the enslaught of dangerously brainwashed, politically extreme, cognitively-stunted cretins.

Edited by zooterkin:  Edited for rule 10.

Do not partially mask any swear words, type them in full and let the autocensor take care of it.

Last edited by zooterkin; 22nd December 2021 at 01:47 PM.
Underground906 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2021, 08:41 AM   #70
cmikes
Muse

I don't understand all the "well he just wanted to kill someone" slander in this or the trial thread. When Rittenhouse was ambushed by Rosenbaum and the others, his reaction wasn't "Alright, Cleetus (I assume all rednecks in progressive imaginations name their guns Cleetus), we finally get to kill some people!"

After being ambushed, his first reaction was to GTFO towards the police line yelling "friendly, friendly, friendly". He only defended himself when he was cut off and knocked to the ground by the people attacking him.

His biggest mistake was separating himself from the other people protecting the town. I wonder if that SUV that was set on fire that Rittenhouse was going to put out was deliberately set away from the others in order to draw one of the protectors alone to ambush. After all, Rittenhouse wasn't specifically threatened by Rosenbaum earlier, he threatened that he would kill anyone of them that he found alone.
cmikes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2021, 08:59 AM   #71
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Underground906 View Post
The Left, with these Antifa types, have been becoming increasing warped and violent over many years. It fact Leftism as it is today, maliciously carving up people into victim and oppressor groups to create ill feeling, division, gain power, drag others down, is simply a front for every anti-social, screwed up, angry nutjob, weirdo, and pyscho to outwardly claim some kind of validity to their unhinged, extremist, hate-filled existence.
Things that your whimsical, fact-deprived rant overlooks:

1. The right officially predominates political violence. link
2. The Republican power structure has embraced political violence during the Trump Era.
3. Unlike right-wing extremism, Antifa exists on the fringe.

Last edited by varwoche; 22nd December 2021 at 09:24 AM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2021, 09:21 AM   #72
sackett
Philosopher

Karl Scheisshaus continues in the news. For a brief time.

And those two guys he killed? Well, they're still dead.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2021, 09:49 AM   #73
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Things that your whimsical, fact-deprived rant overlooks:

1. The right officially predominates political violence. link
That's more than a little bit dated, and certainly doesn't speak to the issue of Antifa.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2021, 09:53 AM   #74
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Every Republican dream come true. Killing someone they politically disagree with and get away with it.
I don't think Kyle knew what Rossenbaum's political views were. Hell, I don't know what Rossenbaum's political views were. I don't know if he even had any coherent political views. I know he was a mentally deranged violent pedophile, though, and that seems a bit more relevant to what went down.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2021, 10:18 AM   #75
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I don't think Kyle knew what Rossenbaum's political views were.
No kidding? Thanks for that.

Hell, I don't know what Rossenbaum's political views were.
He was at a BLM protest. I'd say that's a fairly good indicator. Any righty wouldn't be caught dead at a BLM march, at least not on the pro-side.

I don't know if he even had any coherent political views.
You don't know **** about him at all. None of us do other than what we have read in the news.

I know he was a mentally deranged violent pedophile, though, and that seems a bit more relevant to what went down.
Oh, I thought we were focused on what Kyle knew. Since you specifically brought that up. I know how much you love mentioning his past.

See, the reason I brought up politics is because it's clear to everyone and anyone that you, Warp12, etc. are all conservative\right-wingers. That's no mystery, it's common knowledge.

Warp12 also glorified what Kyle did, as many on the right have done and are doing. Hell, he's giving keynote speeches at their ******* conferences. So what I said still stands.
Old 22nd December 2021, 11:44 AM   #76
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

He was at a BLM protest. I'd say that's a fairly good indicator. Any righty wouldn't be caught dead at a BLM march, at least not on the pro-side.
I don't think that's a good indicator at all. Given Rosenbaum's history, I can easily imagine that it was just an opportunity for him to engage in mayhem, that he didn't care about the politics of the situation. And we know that he was shouting the n-word during the protests, which doesn't really sound like the sort of thing that white liberals concerned about the plight of black Americans should be doing at that moment.

Quote:
You don't know **** about him at all. None of us do other than what we have read in the news.
Well, yes. Exactly. Which is part of why saying that Kyle fulfilled some mythical right wing fantasy of killing left wingers doesn't actually make sense. We don't know that he was liberal. I would think that, as a liberal yourself, you would want to disavow him as a liberal. I'm a little surprised that you're not the one making the argument that we shouldn't assume he was.

I'm reminded a bit of the whole Gabby Giffords shooting. When it happened, there was a knee-jerk assumption that, because Giffords was a liberal, her shooter must have been conservative. And that's how it was often reported at the start. But it quickly emerged that he was just crazy, that his ideology (if you can even describe it as such) and motives were so incoherent and detached from reality that you can't even put it on a political spectrum. Rosenbaum may not have been quite that crazy, but we've got no reason to assign him any political orientation. Again, I would have expected you to welcome a position which distances the left from a violent pedophile.

Quote:
Oh, I thought we were focused on what Kyle knew.
What you mean "we", white man?

Quote:
See, the reason I brought up politics is because it's clear to everyone and anyone that you, Warp12, etc. are all conservative\right-wingers. That's no mystery, it's common knowledge.

Warp12 also glorified what Kyle did, as many on the right have done and are doing. Hell, he's giving keynote speeches at their ******* conferences. So what I said still stands.
You certainly aren't focused on what Kyle knew.
Old 22nd December 2021, 11:47 AM   #77
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Anyway, I don't think I've seen it posted, but even Tomi Lahren says the right shouldn't make a celeb of Rittenhouse (although she's probably arguing that to keep attention on her).
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2021, 12:42 PM   #78
carlitos
"más divertido"

Has anyone heard some actual content from Kyle's panel discussion at the AmericaFest? I was looking and can't find any. He was being interviewed by the execrable Jack Posobiec, and there were two others on the panel.
Old 22nd December 2021, 12:44 PM   #79
plague311
Great minds think...

Has anyone heard some actual content from Kyle's panel discussion at the AmericaFest? I was looking and can't find any. He was being interviewed by the execrable Jack Posobiec, and there were two others on the panel.
I know he said that the media was going to pay for the reporting they had on him. Which I'm excited to see.
Old 22nd December 2021, 12:52 PM   #80
Warp12
Suspended

I didn't find anything from the event, but this sit-down coincided, apparently:

Pete Hegseth sits down with Kyle Rittenhouse exclusively on Fox Nation

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events