IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Kyle Rittenhouse

Reply
Old 22nd December 2021, 01:40 PM   #81
Warp12
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 5,941
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Has anyone heard some actual content from Kyle's panel discussion at the AmericaFest? I was looking and can't find any. He was being interviewed by the execrable Jack Posobiec, and there were two others on the panel.
Here you go, a brief clip:

KYLE RITTENHOUSE: ACCOUNTABILITY IS COMING

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


This young man seems to really be enjoying himself.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2021, 01:45 PM   #82
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator
 
zooterkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Berkshire, mostly
Posts: 52,921
Mod WarningSeveral posts moved to AAH.

Please keep to the topic of the thread. If you have nothing to say about the ongoing adventures of Kyle Rittenhouse, then this is not the thread for you post in.

Responding to this mod box in thread will be off topic Posted By:zooterkin
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.Bertrand Russell
Zooterkin is correct Darat
Nerd! Hokulele
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20

Last edited by zooterkin; 22nd December 2021 at 02:03 PM. Reason: typo
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2021, 01:47 PM   #83
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 12,981
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Here you go, a brief clip:

KYLE RITTENHOUSE: ACCOUNTABILITY IS COMING

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


This young man seems to really be enjoying himself.
That's what I said!

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I know he said that the media was going to pay for the reporting they had on him. Which I'm excited to see.
I'm trying to figure this out though. What exactly is he going to sue for? Who is he going to sue?
__________________
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2021, 02:50 PM   #84
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USA! USA!
Posts: 24,384
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Here you go, a brief clip:


This young man seems to really be enjoying himself.
Thanks for that.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2021, 03:23 PM   #85
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 18,946
Originally Posted by cmikes View Post
I don't understand all the "well he just wanted to kill someone" slander in this or the trial thread. When Rittenhouse was ambushed by Rosenbaum and the others, his reaction wasn't "Alright, Cleetus (I assume all rednecks in progressive imaginations name their guns Cleetus), we finally get to kill some people!"
The idea that he "wanted to kill someone" likely comes from 2 sources:

1) The video (that was not shown at trial) where he talked about shooting people that were exiting a store (suggesting, with no evidence, that they were "shoplifting")

2) The whole logic behind why he was there in the first place. He had no authority to arrest people engaged in violence. He had no particular abilities as a paramedic (to help injured people), or as a firefighter (to help prevent damage). All he had was his surrogate penis gun. So he decided to put himself in a situation where the only thing he could do to make a difference is shoot people.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2021, 03:34 PM   #86
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 18,946
Originally Posted by Underground906 View Post
He's not a hero in the traditional sense in my eyes. But his actions have had the impact of one, I would wager.
The impact of Rittenhouse's actions will be wet dreams among the MAGAchud.
Quote:
The Left, with these Antifa types, have been becoming increasing warped and violent over many years.
The majority of terrorist activities in the U.S. have come from those on the far-right.

From: CSIS
...far-right terrorism has significantly outpaced terrorism from other types of perpetrators, including from far-left networks and individuals inspired by the Islamic State and al-Qaeda. Right-wing attacks and plots account for the majority of all terrorist incidents in the United States since 1994, and the total number of right-wing attacks and plots has grown significantly during the past six years.

Any attempts to point out "look how bad the political left is" should be seen as nothing more than a way to divert attention from the real problems.

And yes, there were widespread protests/riots last year. Those tended to be brought on due to police/court actions (whereas minorities were treated much harsher than white people). Its less a case of "look at the left wingers going nuts" and more a case of "the left-wingers are finally addressing a major problem in society".

(I should also point out that much of the violence/vandalism did not originate from people engaging in legitimate protests, but by people attempting to use the protests as cover to engage in their own destructive tendencies.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2021, 04:33 PM   #87
autumn1971
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,766
Originally Posted by Underground906 View Post
He's not a hero in the traditional sense in my eyes. But his actions have had the impact of one, I would wager.

The Left, with these Antifa types, have been becoming increasing warped and violent over many years. It fact Leftism as it is today, maliciously carving up people into victim and oppressor groups to create ill feeling, division, gain power, drag others down, is simply a front for every anti-social, screwed up, angry nutjob, weirdo, and pyscho to outwardly claim some kind of validity to their unhinged, extremist, hate-filled existence.

The **** do these vermin think they are? They they can go around and riot and beat people up and point guns at them. Attack them enmasse.

Well have it. But you can no-longer be surprised if instant karma firmly strikes back and the law will back the right side in court - the victims of these despicable, delusional people.

It's been on the rise for a long-time, this incredible evil from political extremist and fanatics, having their politics championed in the media, the education system, and elsewhere, which has just been emboldening them further.

Kyle defending himself and that being lawful in the US, as a Brit, my love of and admiration for the US could not get any hire. A nation that still possesses a backbone when it comes to the enslaught of dangerously brainwashed, politically extreme, cognitively-stunted cretins.


Edited by zooterkin:  Edited for rule 10.

Do not partially mask any swear words, type them in full and let the autocensor take care of it.
Neat speech, Mr. Chamberlin.
Sorry, might have misspelled Quisling.
__________________
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2021, 04:55 PM   #88
Ron Obvious
Muse
 
Ron Obvious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 830
Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Neat speech, Mr. Chamberlin.
Sorry, might have misspelled Quisling.
You're proving his point.
__________________
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." -- George Orwell
Ron Obvious is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2021, 05:44 PM   #89
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped
 
Sideroxylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Aporia
Posts: 26,422
Facists referring to people as vermin. Where have we seen that before?
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2021, 10:53 AM   #90
cmikes
Muse
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 623
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
The idea that he "wanted to kill someone" likely comes from 2 sources:

1) The video (that was not shown at trial) where he talked about shooting people that were exiting a store (suggesting, with no evidence, that they were "shoplifting")

So at a different time, in a different situation, under different circumstances, he said something? ...OK So it wasn't anything like, "Man, I really hope someone threatens to kill me, then tries to carry out that threat, while attacking me with a club, kicking me in the face, and running towards me with a gun pointing at my head, all while I'm trying to get away to safety.
That would be awesome!"?


Quote:
2) The whole logic behind why he was there in the first place. He had no authority to arrest people engaged in violence. He had no particular abilities as a paramedic (to help injured people), or as a firefighter (to help prevent damage). All he had was his surrogate penis gun. So he decided to put himself in a situation where the only thing he could do to make a difference is shoot people.

I agree it was poor judgement, and Rittenhouse has admitted as much in interviews. Once the local politicians had decided that the town was to be a sacrifice on the altar of BLM, and telling the police not to interfere, that BLM was being allowed to do whatever they wished and that the police could go in the next day to try to pick up the pieces and the fire department could go in and hose down the ashes, there really was nothing to be done.

But I still think it's understandable that people would try to protect their town, whether they were qualified or not. I know that if my house was on fire, and the fire department wouldn't be coming, I would be trying to save it even if all I had was a garden house and a bucket. Or my neighbor's house, for that matter.

And poor judgement isn't illegal. If a woman goes out to a skeezy bar by herself and gets blind drunk, that's showing poor judgement. If that woman gets raped, though, it's still zero percent her fault, and still one hundred percent the fault of the animal that raped her. Just because in your view Rittenhouse wasn't accomplishing anything by trying to protect his town in no way justifies Rosenbaum and the others trying to kill him.
cmikes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2021, 12:35 PM   #91
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USA! USA!
Posts: 24,384
Originally Posted by cmikes View Post
But I still think it's understandable that people would try to protect their town, whether they were qualified or not. I know that if my house was on fire, and the fire department wouldn't be coming, I would be trying to save it even if all I had was a garden house and a bucket. Or my neighbor's house, for that matter.
.......
Just because in your view Rittenhouse wasn't accomplishing anything by trying to protect his town in no way justifies Rosenbaum and the others trying to kill him.
Kyle's town was 20 miles away and not on fire.

Last edited by carlitos; 23rd December 2021 at 12:37 PM.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2021, 12:48 PM   #92
cmikes
Muse
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 623
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Kyle's town was 20 miles away and not on fire.

His father and his father's family live in Kenosha, and he worked there. He wasn't a stranger.

I know for a lot of foreigners, the whole "he crossed state lines" was a thing, but in the US that's not a big deal. I've lived in one state while working in another when I was younger. There's no checkpoints or guard shacks, you don't have to stop and present your papers to any border guards, it's just a sign on the highway.

How far away from your place of residence or work should you be allowed to care about, in your opinion?
cmikes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2021, 12:55 PM   #93
Warp12
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 5,941
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Kyle's town was 20 miles away and not on fire.
People act like 20 miles is equal in distance to the circumference of the equator.

Last edited by Warp12; 23rd December 2021 at 12:56 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2021, 03:34 PM   #94
RolandRat
Graduate Poster
 
RolandRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Essex UK
Posts: 1,478
This is morphing into a rehash of the trial thread.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2021, 10:32 PM   #95
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher
 
Roger Ramjets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,881
Originally Posted by cmikes View Post
And poor judgement isn't illegal.
Heh. It is if it's a decision to do something illegal.

But what Rittenhouse did wasn't poor judgement. It was risky, but paid off bigtime in the end. He got to act out his fantasies and kill people for real without being punished - something many people want to do but can't get away with. Now he's a celebrity and a darling of the Right, with continuing fame and fortune if he plays his cards right. That's no more poor judgement than Elon Musk sinking all his money in Tesla or Trump running for president.
__________________
We don't want good, sound arguments. We want arguments that sound good.
Roger Ramjets is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2021, 08:33 AM   #96
cmikes
Muse
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 623
Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Heh. It is if it's a decision to do something illegal.

True, but irrelevant in this case.


Quote:
But what Rittenhouse did wasn't poor judgement. It was risky, but paid off bigtime in the end. He got to act out his fantasies and kill people for real without being punished - something many people want to do but can't get away with. Now he's a celebrity and a darling of the Right, with continuing fame and fortune if he plays his cards right. That's no more poor judgement than Elon Musk sinking all his money in Tesla or Trump running for president.

Then maybe you can answer the question that no one else has managed to. If Rittenhouse was looking forward to acting out his fantasies and killing people, why didn't he? Why was first reaction when ambushed to run towards the police line and try to get away from the people trying to kill him?

If anything, a case could easily be made that he waited to long to start defending himself. Rosenbaum directly threatened to kill him or any of the other people trying to defend the town if he caught them alone. He was also inches from grabbing Rittenhouse's gun away from him. Does anyone honestly believe that Rosenbaum would have hesitated to shoot Rittenhouse if he had gotten the gun?

Anthony Huber struck Rittenhouse twice with his skateboard and knocked him to the ground. Either one of those blows could easily have been disabling, leaving Rittenhouse at the "mercy" of violent thugs destroying a city.

Same with Maurice Freeland, the man who attempted to kick Rittenhouse in the face with heavy work boots. Rittenhouse managed to get his arm up between the boot and his face, but if hadn't, how long do you think Rittenhouse would have lasted after he was unconscious?

And finally, Gaige Grosskreutz had a handgun pointed directly at Rittenhouse's head when he was shot in the arm. If Rittenhouse wouldn't have shot first, we wouldn't be having this thread and most of the people in this and the trial thread currently decrying self defense would be defending Grossfreutz's rights to self defense since he's a revolutionary and belongs to a group that wants to destroy America.
cmikes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2021, 09:06 AM   #97
cmikes
Muse
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 623
Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
This is morphing into a rehash of the trial thread.

There's apparently still people that don't accept the jury verdict, and the trial's over, so it probably wouldn't be appropriate to continue the discussion in that sub-forum.
cmikes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2021, 01:24 PM   #98
Warp12
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 5,941
Rittenhouse sits down with Steven Crowder:

Kyle Rittenhouse Roasts Crowder and Dave! | Louder With Crowder

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


Rittenhouse claims to like women with "big tits". He seems like a romantic, tbh. Maybe he will get a gig with eHarmony.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2021, 01:36 PM   #99
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher
 
Roger Ramjets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,881
Originally Posted by cmikes View Post
True, but irrelevant in this case.
Agreed. In this case the action was found by the court to not be illegal.

Quote:
Then maybe you can answer the question that no one else has managed to. If Rittenhouse was looking forward to acting out his fantasies and killing people, why didn't he?
I'm confused. Are you saying he didn't kill anyone?
__________________
We don't want good, sound arguments. We want arguments that sound good.
Roger Ramjets is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2021, 01:49 PM   #100
autumn1971
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,766
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
People act like 20 miles is equal in distance to the circumference of the equator.
No, but more than a light morning jogging distance definitely turns defense into hunting.
Any openly carried gun, ( long guns not slung over a shoulder count,) carried into a crowd is assault with a deadly weapon and should be met with deadly force.
__________________
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2021, 12:17 PM   #101
cmikes
Muse
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 623
Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
I'm confused. Are you saying he didn't kill anyone?

No, my point is that for the bloodthirsty, inbred, hillbilly hick of progressive fever dreams, he waited a remarkably long time before defending himself. Rittenhouse didn't defend himself until he was literally seconds from being killed. His first response to the four people trying to ambush and kill him wasn't "Alright, my dream has come true, I get to kill people" and start blasting away, it was to run away from the people attempting to murder him towards the police line.

The irony is, for all the Sturm und Drang of people being outraged because some BLM members were prevented from killing someone they wanted dead, this was a bog standard case of self-defense. Rittenhouse's actions would have been ruled self-defense even in progressive states that have a "duty to retreat" clause before being allowed to defend yourself because he tried to run away after the initial ambush. It was only after being cut off from safety and knocked to the ground that he started to defend himself rather than run away, which is odd behavior if the whole reason he was there was to kill people.

And of course, this completely ignores to culpability of the people attempting to kill Rittenhouse. If they had simply returned to setting things on fire and destroying property after the initial assault on Rittenhouse, nothing further would have happened. It had been made clear that section of town was being abandoned to the tender mercies of BLM, so they had nothing to fear from the police. But they didn't just want Rittenhouse to stop putting out the fires they had been setting, they wanted him dead. As Rosenbaum put it earlier that night, "If I catch any of you [people trying to protect the town] alone, I'll kill you". Apparently, he recruited some other people to carry out his threat.
cmikes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2021, 07:33 AM   #102
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy
 
Upchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 33,054
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
That's more than a little bit dated, and certainly doesn't speak to the issue of Antifa.
Actual antifa or all the BS the right blames on the antifa straw man?
__________________
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact." -- Sherlock Holmes.
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain, maybe.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2021, 08:56 AM   #103
BobTheCoward
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 22,512
Originally Posted by cmikes View Post
No, my point is that for the bloodthirsty, inbred, hillbilly hick of progressive fever dreams, he waited a remarkably long time before defending himself. Rittenhouse didn't defend himself until he was literally seconds from being killed. His first response to the four people trying to ambush and kill him wasn't "Alright, my dream has come true, I get to kill people" and start blasting away, it was to run away from the people attempting to murder him towards the police line.

The irony is, for all the Sturm und Drang of people being outraged because some BLM members were prevented from killing someone they wanted dead, this was a bog standard case of self-defense. Rittenhouse's actions would have been ruled self-defense even in progressive states that have a "duty to retreat" clause before being allowed to defend yourself because he tried to run away after the initial ambush. It was only after being cut off from safety and knocked to the ground that he started to defend himself rather than run away, which is odd behavior if the whole reason he was there was to kill people.

And of course, this completely ignores to culpability of the people attempting to kill Rittenhouse. If they had simply returned to setting things on fire and destroying property after the initial assault on Rittenhouse, nothing further would have happened. It had been made clear that section of town was being abandoned to the tender mercies of BLM, so they had nothing to fear from the police. But they didn't just want Rittenhouse to stop putting out the fires they had been setting, they wanted him dead. As Rosenbaum put it earlier that night, "If I catch any of you [people trying to protect the town] alone, I'll kill you". Apparently, he recruited some other people to carry out his threat.
I'm not convinced he had a reasonable fear of death or serious bodily harm.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2021, 10:36 AM   #104
cmikes
Muse
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 623
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I'm not convinced he had a reasonable fear of death or serious bodily harm.

That's a valid opinion, but I agree with the jury in this case, especially in light of Rosenbaum's explicit and definite threat to kill any of the town's defenders that he caught alone.

That, in my opinion, was Rittenhouse's biggest mistake of the night. In that kind of situation, where you have roving bands of thugs destroying everything they can and you know the police have declared purge conditions and they are not being allowed to keep the peace, he should have never separated from the other people attempting to protect Kenosha.

That's why I've heard it speculated that the SUV on fire that Rittenhouse was going to put out was deliberate bait to try and separate the defenders.
cmikes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2021, 07:37 AM   #105
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USA! USA!
Posts: 24,384
Originally Posted by cmikes View Post
His father and his father's family live in Kenosha, and he worked there. He wasn't a stranger.
Nor was he protecting "his" town or was his house or his neighbor's house on fire. This was your crappy analogy, remember?
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2021, 08:21 AM   #106
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 12,981
Originally Posted by cmikes View Post
No, my point is that for the bloodthirsty, inbred, hillbilly hick of progressive fever dreams, he waited a remarkably long time before defending himself. Rittenhouse didn't defend himself until he was literally seconds from being killed.
Being killed with what?
__________________
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2021, 10:10 AM   #107
cmikes
Muse
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 623
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Nor was he protecting "his" town or was his house or his neighbor's house on fire. This was your crappy analogy, remember?

Well, again, I ask how far away from your home are you allowed to care about other people? I presume you wouldn't donate to a good cause if it were twenty miles or more from your home?

Also, I have no idea what Rittenhouse's situation with his family is, but my parents were divorced when I was a kid, and while I lived full time with my mother, I also considered my father's house home. I didn't watch all the testimony, but he may well consider Kenosha his home also. He certainly knew plenty of people there, and worked in town.

I have to say, I really don't understand the "**** those people, they don't live in my town attitude." Does it really have to be your home town for you to care about anyone? Not even where your family lives or where you work counts?
cmikes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2021, 10:17 AM   #108
cmikes
Muse
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 623
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Being killed with what?

Well, luckily we have evidence that shows that. The initial attack was Rosenbaum trying to get Rittenhouse's gun to shoot him with, then when that attack failed, Huber and Freeland followed up with his skateboard and boots, respectively. Whether the plan was simply to get him on the ground and beat him to death, or to have Grosskreutz come in and finish him with his pistol we don't know, since it definitely isn't in Grosskreutz's interest to admit to whatever they had decided or even if they had planned on anything besides "kill him".
cmikes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2021, 10:27 AM   #109
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 12,981
Originally Posted by cmikes View Post
Well, luckily we have evidence that shows that. The initial attack was Rosenbaum trying to get Rittenhouse's gun to shoot him with, then when that attack failed,
Ok. so Rosenbaum attacked him with...nothing? That's all I needed. Thanks. The rest means nothing to me.
__________________
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2021, 10:30 AM   #110
cmikes
Muse
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 623
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Ok. so Rosenbaum attacked him with...nothing? That's all I needed. Thanks. The rest means nothing to me.

And that is why you fail to convince anyone. Context matters. Or do you honestly believe that an unarmed person has never killed anyone, especially when backed up by three other people, one of them armed with a pistol?

Last edited by cmikes; 27th December 2021 at 10:31 AM. Reason: fixed typo
cmikes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2021, 10:37 AM   #111
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 12,981
Originally Posted by cmikes View Post
And that is why you fail to convince anyone.
Immediate failure on your part. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. You made some **** up, I corrected it. You fail to convince anyone too, I'm just not really trying. You seem to take this case personally.

Originally Posted by cmikes View Post
Context matters.
Yeah it does!

Originally Posted by cmikes View Post
Or do you honestly believe that an unarmed person has never killed anyone, especially when backed up by three other people, one of them armed with a pistol?
Maybe, taken in context, Kyle shouldn't have had his ass out there to begin with.

I've accepted the self-defense ruling. I understand it, and I don't have many arguments with it because it's just not high on my list of things. That being said, I can still think and claim openly that Kyle Rittenhouse is a stupid piece of **** that made several dumbass decisions that resulted in the avoidable deaths had he just kept his ass at home (as they all should have).

That's the luxury for me here. I'm not a Kyle Rittenhouse nut hugger so I don't have to rail on his side. I'm also not adamantly against his sentence, so I don't have to rail on that side. I just get to explain, repeatedly, that he's a cowardly piece of **** and that's it.
__________________
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2021, 10:38 AM   #112
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Coast USA (in the Troll Ignoring Section)
Posts: 19,563
Originally Posted by cmikes View Post
Well, again, I ask how far away from your home are you allowed to care about other people? I presume you wouldn't donate to a good cause if it were twenty miles or more from your home?

Also, I have no idea what Rittenhouse's situation with his family is, but my parents were divorced when I was a kid, and while I lived full time with my mother, I also considered my father's house home. I didn't watch all the testimony, but he may well consider Kenosha his home also. He certainly knew plenty of people there, and worked in town.

I have to say, I really don't understand the "**** those people, they don't live in my town attitude." Does it really have to be your home town for you to care about anyone? Not even where your family lives or where you work counts?
Legal concepts of Castle Doctrine and the like are usually limited to one's home, business, and car. To extend this kind of thinking to the public at large and declare yourself law enforcement where ever you decide to go is called...what's the word?...oh yeah, "vigilantism".

Kyle had no powers to "protect" Kenosha. Literally none. More to the point, by his own admission, he was not at all going there to protect Kenosha. He was going there at the invite of some LARPer soldiers to "protect" the burned-out and trashed car lot of a complete stranger, who offered to give them a couple of bucks later. Basically, he was a wannabe underage mercenary.

Kyle could not shoot property vandals. He had no police powers at all, and did not even have restraints if he was going to play at making a citizen's arrest. He did not call police, even when he killed people. Exactly what was he going to do to protect this random trashed car lot?
__________________
We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't -Frank A. Clark

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2021, 10:39 AM   #113
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 12,981
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Kyle could not shoot property vandals. He had no police powers at all, and did not even have restraints if he was going to play at making a citizen's arrest. He did not call police, even when he killed people. Exactly what was he going to do to protect this random trashed car lot?
It was nice that he had time to call his buddy and brag it up though!
__________________
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2021, 10:44 AM   #114
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Coast USA (in the Troll Ignoring Section)
Posts: 19,563
Originally Posted by cmikes View Post
And that is why you fail to convince anyone. Context matters. Or do you honestly believe that an unarmed person has never killed anyone, especially when backed up by three other people, one of them armed with a pistol?
Oh Christ, dude, no one was "backing up" Rosenbaum. Kyle killed him and ran off, and random uninvolved strangers reacted to a shooter on the run. That's all they knew: Kyle killed someone and was fleeing. No one would have any reason to believe that Kyle was anything but a fleeing killer, which is in fact precisely what he was.
__________________
We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't -Frank A. Clark

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2021, 10:48 AM   #115
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Coast USA (in the Troll Ignoring Section)
Posts: 19,563
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
It was nice that he had time to call his buddy and brag it up though!
Right? That says all you need to know about whether he was there as Captain Kyle, Defender of Kenosha, or whether he was Cowardly Kyle, LARPing weakling.
__________________
We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't -Frank A. Clark

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2021, 10:49 AM   #116
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 51,960
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Legal concepts of Castle Doctrine and the like are usually limited to one's home, business, and car. To extend this kind of thinking to the public at large and declare yourself law enforcement where ever you decide to go is called...what's the word?...oh yeah, "vigilantism".

Kyle had no powers to "protect" Kenosha. Literally none.
That's really not true.

The mistake you are making is confining your definition of "protect" to only include the use of deadly force. Because that's the only time the Castle Doctrine gets invoked. Doing stuff like putting out fires (which Kyle did, and which enraged Rosenbaum) don't require the Castle Doctrine. And putting out fires is literally protecting people.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2021, 11:04 AM   #117
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Coast USA (in the Troll Ignoring Section)
Posts: 19,563
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
That's really not true.

The mistake you are making is confining your definition of "protect" to only include the use of deadly force. Because that's the only time the Castle Doctrine gets invoked. Doing stuff like putting out fires (which Kyle did, and which enraged Rosenbaum) don't require the Castle Doctrine. And putting out fires is literally protecting people.
He carried a small kitchen fire extinguisher borrowed from Black's house. He was not going to extinguish much beyond a campfire with that.

Fortunately, he did take the time and money to invest in a $1500+ rifle and ammo, and even threw down a few more bucks that very morning for a sling.

What you spend time and money to adequately equip for speaks volumes about what you actually plan to do.
__________________
We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't -Frank A. Clark

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2021, 11:43 AM   #118
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USA! USA!
Posts: 24,384
Originally Posted by cmikes View Post
Well, again, I ask how far away from your home are you allowed to care about other people? I presume you wouldn't donate to a good cause if it were twenty miles or more from your home?
The #1 charity that I contribute to is literally called "Doctors Without Borders," so I guess that it's possible to care for people as far away as possible.

Which has nothing at all to do with your failed argument via crappy analogy.

Originally Posted by cmikes View Post
I have to say, I really don't understand the "**** those people, they don't live in my town attitude." Does it really have to be your home town for you to care about anyone? Not even where your family lives or where you work counts?
Who, anywhere in this thread, has exhibited a "**** those people, they don't live in my town attitude?" Oh, that's right, no one.

Again, we were discussing your stupid analogy that compared a kid going 20 miles to pick up an illegal assault rifle and play soldier on a burnt-out used car lot with ... your house being on fire or helping your neighbor with a hose and bucket. Remember?

Originally Posted by cmikes View Post
I know that if my house was on fire, and the fire department wouldn't be coming, I would be trying to save it even if all I had was a garden house and a bucket. Or my neighbor's house, for that matter.
No one's house was on fire in Antioch, IL. Or their neighbor's house either.

Last edited by carlitos; 27th December 2021 at 11:44 AM.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2021, 12:55 PM   #119
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected
 
fishbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chilly Undieville
Posts: 7,312
Originally Posted by cmikes View Post
Well, luckily we have evidence that shows that. The initial attack was Rosenbaum trying to get Rittenhouse's gun to shoot him with, then when that attack failed, Huber and Freeland followed up with his skateboard and boots, respectively. Whether the plan was simply to get him on the ground and beat him to death, or to have Grosskreutz come in and finish him with his pistol we don't know, since it definitely isn't in Grosskreutz's interest to admit to whatever they had decided or even if they had planned on anything besides "kill him".
See post 114.
Armed man just shot somebody.
You wonder why others might take this as threatening?
You ever consider that they might be 'standing their ground' with a skateboard and boots?
__________________
"When you believe in things you don't understand, then you suffer . . . " - Stevie Wonder.
"It looks like the saddest, most crookedest candy corn in an otherwise normal bag of candy corns." Stormy Daniels
I hate bigots.

Last edited by fishbob; 27th December 2021 at 12:57 PM.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2021, 05:16 PM   #120
mgidm86
Philosopher
 
mgidm86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 7,890
All I get from this incident and trial is that this country has attitudes and gun laws that do not belong anywhere near the 21st century. It is shameful and disgusting.
__________________
Thanks and bye.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:19 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.