IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 24th June 2022, 02:04 PM   #1161
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Oh, dear, yet another person fell into the trap of confusing these two completely separate things:

1. This report is an accurate summation of the data that is currently in the database.
2. This report is an accurate reflection of reality.

As Moses said unto pharaoh: "Garbage in, garbage out". They spend most of every day cramming turds into there, what did they think would come out the other side, petit fours?
Old 26th June 2022, 08:08 PM   #1162
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

To give the appearance of activity, send an email. To appear to be more active, send two emails.
To give the appearance of being a manager, request more emails, using email.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2022, 07:28 PM   #1163
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I should have mentioned earlier. I had my Performance Appraisal with the boss last week. This is something that I always find stressful and anxiety-inducing, even when they have nothing but good things to say about me, which they did.

It also formally acknowledged that I am now the senior agent at my level (APS4), which means that I am the automatic tap if someone is needed to do Higher Duties as Team Leader (APS5). I also kind of committed to applying for the position should one of the three TL positions becomes vacant in the future, which it definitely will.

To give you an idea, the salary range for an APS4 is AU$67,100 - $73,256 and an APS5 is $73,636 - $79,841. Use your favourite currency converter to put that in terms that are familiar to you. I'm doing pretty well on my current salary, but the next level up is going to be sweet.

It is waaaay outside my comfort zone, but it's pretty clear that actually getting the position if I apply for it is a shoe-in. My bosses want me in the position (I know this because they said so). And also, it will allow me to put an almost-literally magic word on my resume: "supervise". With experience supervising staff, a whole new world of future opportunities opens up. And this is by far the easiest way for me to get that word on my resume, since most supervisory positions require experience in, you know, supervising. And this is the reason I'm very confident that one of the three TL positions will open up in the not-too-distant future - it's a common jumping point for people to go on to bigger and better things.

Things are looking up in Wollitown.
Old 30th June 2022, 06:06 AM   #1164
ZirconBlue
Sole Survivor of L-Town

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I should have mentioned earlier. I had my Performance Appraisal with the boss last week. This is something that I always find stressful and anxiety-inducing, even when they have nothing but good things to say about me, which they did.

It also formally acknowledged that I am now the senior agent at my level (APS4), which means that I am the automatic tap if someone is needed to do Higher Duties as Team Leader (APS5). I also kind of committed to applying for the position should one of the three TL positions becomes vacant in the future, which it definitely will.

To give you an idea, the salary range for an APS4 is AU$67,100 - $73,256 and an APS5 is $73,636 - $79,841. Use your favourite currency converter to put that in terms that are familiar to you. I'm doing pretty well on my current salary, but the next level up is going to be sweet.

It is waaaay outside my comfort zone, but it's pretty clear that actually getting the position if I apply for it is a shoe-in. My bosses want me in the position (I know this because they said so). And also, it will allow me to put an almost-literally magic word on my resume: "supervise". With experience supervising staff, a whole new world of future opportunities opens up. And this is by far the easiest way for me to get that word on my resume, since most supervisory positions require experience in, you know, supervising. And this is the reason I'm very confident that one of the three TL positions will open up in the not-too-distant future - it's a common jumping point for people to go on to bigger and better things.

Things are looking up in Wollitown.
That's awesome!
The numbers look the same on their credit cards.
ZirconBlue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2022, 05:40 AM   #1165
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Dear user,

When you send me a ticket claiming “password reset is not working”, in which the included screenshot clearly shows the new password you’re attempting marked as “weak” and the error message “You cannot use that word as part of your password”, do not expect a non-snarky response.

Sent from my volcanic island lair using carrier pigeon.
Old 1st July 2022, 05:51 AM   #1166
Wudang
BOFH

I recall working in a mainframe systems programmer department. One team looked after VM/CMS systems and another MVS. One of the VM managers after bitching about how insanely biased we were against VM because not all of us had VM ids was asked if he had a MVS id. No, so shamefacedly asked for one. It was given. Then he bitched about how our system was so unfriendly and we couldn't even set up a new account properly. So we checked the logs. He was entering his incredibly trivial password as his userid as evinced by the "Logon id tuesday1 not recognised".
Old 1st July 2022, 06:32 AM   #1167
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I've become firmly convinced that there is no surer method of making your users turn their computers off then to send out several e-mails that say "During the evening of XXXXX day we will be performing critical updates, it is vitally important that you leave your workstations on when you leave for the day."

I'm not kidding that I am metaphysically certain fewer users would have turned their computers off if we just said nothing.
Old 1st July 2022, 06:37 AM   #1168
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I've become firmly convinced that there is no surer method of making your users turn their computers off then to send out several e-mails that say "During the evening of XXXXX day we will be performing critical updates, it is vitally important that you leave your workstations on when you leave for the day."

I'm not kidding that I am metaphysically certain fewer users would have turned their computers off if we just said nothing.
One of the places I worked at had solved that problem by using WOL (qv). if you happened to be working after hours, you could be snapped to attention at 3 in the morning as all the computers in the building started powering up.
Old 1st July 2022, 08:35 AM   #1169
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Dear user,

When you send me a ticket claiming “password reset is not working”, in which the included screenshot clearly shows the new password you’re attempting marked as “weak” and the error message “You cannot use that word as part of your password”, do not expect a non-snarky response.

Sent from my volcanic island lair using carrier pigeon.
Just yesterday I had a problem creating an account on a new site. I saw the message that said I had a "weak" password, but that's the one I use for sites that don't matter. It took me several tries to realize that the message meant I couldn't use that password and needed a stronger one, even though it didn't specify that.
Old 1st July 2022, 08:44 AM   #1170
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Just yesterday I had a problem creating an account on a new site. I saw the message that said I had a "weak" password, but that's the one I use for sites that don't matter. It took me several tries to realize that the message meant I couldn't use that password and needed a stronger one, even though it didn't specify that.
I would passwdsafe's random password generator a lot more if sites could just be upfront about their password rules, especially which special characters are valid and/or required on that site.
Old 1st July 2022, 08:56 AM   #1171
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'll never for the life of me understand a site/program in 2022 have a maximum password complexity.
Old 1st July 2022, 09:08 AM   #1172
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I'll never for the life of me understand a site/program in 2022 have a maximum password complexity.
A couple of years back someone tried to defend that by saying it might have an IBM mainframe background. I told him that was bollocks as the security model should never work like that.
Old 1st July 2022, 09:24 AM   #1173
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
One of the places I worked at had solved that problem by using WOL (qv). if you happened to be working after hours, you could be snapped to attention at 3 in the morning as all the computers in the building started powering up.
In this day everyone of significant size should have have WoL set up.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2022, 09:38 AM   #1174
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
In this day everyone of significant size should have have WoL set up.
I would have thought this to be true but is anyone, anywhere using Wake-on-Modem (WoM) anymore?
Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM   #1175
catsmate
No longer the 1

I would have thought this to be true but is anyone, anywhere using Wake-on-Modem (WoM) anymore?
I haven't seen an internal modem in a while, and IIRR serial modems did not do WoM.
Also I haven't seen an RS-232 in a while.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM   #1176
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
I haven't seen an internal modem in a while, and IIRR serial modems did not do WoM.
Also I haven't seen an RS-232 in a while.
Apparently in doctors', lawyers'. and real estate agents' offices all over the world fax modems continue to whistle and beep away. My Brother printer/scanner has one built in but I've never tested it.

As for RS-232. Well. There is nothing to be said for RS-232.
Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM   #1177
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Favourite pet peeve for sites with STUPID password rules, is a superannuation site that clearly states:

"Password must be AT LEAST eight characters long."

After wasting approximately one hour, I discovered that they meant:

"Password must be EXACTLY eight characters long."

The same site says that the password must not be recorded anywhere, including in any password management system.

At least that idiocy can be ignored.
Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM   #1178
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Work has taken a turn for the better.

I have separate ID/password combinations for all the different domains that I need to connect to (because I maintain servers/software/services on those domains).

We're moving to Delinea Secret Server and Connection Manager to manage this.

So now, I literally do not know or care what my various domain passwords are, because SS maintains them for me. They're all ludicrously strong, and automatically updated.

Connection Manager links to Secret Server, and I have a host of 'connections' set up so that I can RDP or Telenet to any server with a couple of mouse clicks.

Note that Secret Server is set up with encyrpted sessions and two factor authentication.

I'm a happy man.

All the workarounds etc. that I used to maintain in KeePass have now gone away.

(Password expiry, and password inheritance)

Old Today, 05:35 AM   #1179
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Apparently in doctors', lawyers'. and real estate agents' offices all over the world fax modems continue to whistle and beep away. My Brother printer/scanner has one built in but I've never tested it.

As for RS-232. Well. There is nothing to be said for RS-232.
A couple of years ago one of my coworkers had his luggage broken into and stuff stolen on a trip home to China. He had to fax a list of what was lost to the air carrier.

The RF ID tag readers we use still have RS-232 connections between them.

TLG-I1-1000-S0-00EB
Old Today, 07:36 AM   #1180
Wudang
BOFH

There is nothing to be said for RS-232.
Despite much googling I am unable to find a video of Spitting Image's RS232 Interface Lead song that hasn't been suppressed for copyright violation.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet