IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd June 2016, 05:43 PM   #1
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

The Johnny Depp/Amber Heard thing

I did do a search of the forum for those names and couldn't find a thread on this.
(For anyone not up to date on the story here is the latest)

A brief summary: About a week ago Depp's wife of about 1 year, Amber Heard filed for divorce. The next day she posted pictures of her bruised face on Instagram and claimed that Depp had been physically abusive toward her. Depp has defenders though, including his ex-wife, daughter and friend comedian Doug Stanhope, who basically said that she was making it all up. Now she is suing Stanhope for defamation.

Is there a skeptical take on this? Just a he-said/she-said? Who do you tend to believe?

Me: it's hard for me to believe that she is completely making it all up. Maybe there's some exaggeration, but it's not like Gone Girl or something where the woman is totally framing an innocent guy for something he didn't do.

I don't put too much stock in what his ex-wife says, because people can change, especially if they have a substance abuse problem. He may well have not been an abuser in the past, but has become one recently.

Any thoughts Rebuttals? Relevant information I'm missing here?
Old 3rd June 2016, 05:54 PM   #2
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
I did do a search of the forum for those names and couldn't find a thread on this.
(For anyone not up to date on the story here is the latest)

A brief summary: About a week ago Depp's wife of about 1 year, Amber Heard filed for divorce. The next day she posted pictures of her bruised face on Instagram and claimed that Depp had been physically abusive toward her. Depp has defenders though, including his ex-wife, daughter and friend comedian Doug Stanhope, who basically said that she was making it all up. Now she is suing Stanhope for defamation.

Is there a skeptical take on this? Just a he-said/she-said? Who do you tend to believe?

Me: it's hard for me to believe that she is completely making it all up. Maybe there's some exaggeration, but it's not like Gone Girl or something where the woman is totally framing an innocent guy for something he didn't do.

I don't put too much stock in what his ex-wife says, because people can change, especially if they have a substance abuse problem. He may well have not been an abuser in the past, but has become one recently.

I'll take the Hillary route. Believe the victim, but don't support her, because she's a mentally ill slut.
Old 3rd June 2016, 05:58 PM   #3
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

Me: it's hard for me to believe that she is completely making it all up.

Why? Why is it so hard to believe she might be completely making it up? Have we forgotten Jackie of UVA/Rolling Stone infamy already? Sometimes people lie. Especially in divorce cases. She would have much to gain from making things up.

When good, solid evidence is presented to indicate that she is telling the truth, then I'll reconsider.
Corsair 115 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2016, 05:59 PM   #4
eerok
Quixoticist

Is there a skeptical take on this?
Yeah -- wait for more and better information.

One thing, though: IIRC there was no prenup, so she has nothing to gain by pretending to be injured, at least monetarily.
Old 3rd June 2016, 06:04 PM   #5
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
One thing, though: IIRC there was no prenup, so she has nothing to gain by pretending to be injured, at least monetarily.

Prenups really don't necessarily mean all that much, as they are sometimes thrown out by a court when a divorce takes place.
Corsair 115 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2016, 06:13 PM   #6
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Corsair 115 View Post
Prenups really don't necessarily mean all that much, as they are sometimes thrown out by a court when a divorce takes place.
Perhaps, but I think it's too early to say much. More facts would be good.
Old 3rd June 2016, 06:40 PM   #7
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

No, there isn't a sketpical take. This is two Hollywood personalities who are used to playing, and playing for, the public. And shocker of shockers, they aren't staying married. Who saw that coming? (sarcasm there).

This is a tabloid thing. Skepticism doesn't enter into it.
(And if he slapped her around, it's not gonna end well).
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2016, 06:51 PM   #8
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I've no idea. But I have to admit this only the second time I've ever heard of her, the first being on Top Gear when she was the "Star in a Car" and had Jeremy Clarkson pretty much slobbering over her.
Old 3rd June 2016, 09:37 PM   #9
deadrose
Illuminator

Some of his defenders have been pretty straightforward in their statements about her personality, as well as his. It may turn out to be more like Heather Mills/Paul McCartney.

I'm not taking sides without more evidence.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2016, 09:57 PM   #10
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

He'll end up being not guilty.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2016, 12:23 AM   #11
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Corsair 115 View Post
Why? Why is it so hard to believe she might be completely making it up? Have we forgotten Jackie of UVA/Rolling Stone infamy already? Sometimes people lie. Especially in divorce cases. She would have much to gain from making things up.

When good, solid evidence is presented to indicate that she is telling the truth, then I'll reconsider.
That's different. Those people didn't even exist. Of course it's possible, it just doesn't have the same aura of "you have got to be kidding me" that Jackie's story had. These allegations are more mundane. As far as what she has to gain, it seems to me like no amount of money would be worth putting yourself through that. It's not like she would be destitute if they had just split up.
Old 4th June 2016, 03:53 AM   #12
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

It's not like she would be destitute if they had just split up.
Although she's reported as spending far in excess of her own earnings to a degree where readjusting to living on her own means might be "hard" for her.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2016, 03:58 AM   #13
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Why is this even newsworthy on this forum?

Maybe in Humor...
Old 4th June 2016, 06:00 AM   #14
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Didn't she come out as a lesbian a few years ago?
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2016, 06:10 AM   #15
Consternatio
Student

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Didn't she come out as a lesbian a few years ago?
No, she's always been open about being bisexual - she dated Tasya Van Rees before she met/married Depp.
Consternatio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2016, 07:51 AM   #16
Jules Galen
Banned

Amber Heard is not a victim - she's a vicious Gold Digger.

If Amber had really been hurt, she would know that the best way forward is to file a Police Report. Instead, she makes strategic releases via doctored E-mail and the testimony of friends. What Amber won't do is file that Police Report and go on the official record - for she knows how much trouble that would bring her.
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2016, 07:57 AM   #17
3point14
Pi

None of those mentioned come close to some of the stuff most of you outside the UK or those in the UK under 30 have probably, and this is your good fortune, never heard of.

Try Love thy Neighbor for horrific 'comedy'.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2016, 10:19 AM   #18
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
None of those mentioned come close to some of the stuff most of you outside the UK or those in the UK under 30 have probably, and this is your good fortune, never heard of.

Try Love thy Neighbor for horrific 'comedy'.
One of those programmes where the intentions of the writer were completely misunderstood and embraced in the wrong way by those he meant to lampoon.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2016, 10:32 AM   #19
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

I ...
Dude... spoilers.

Just kidding, couldn't care less.

As for our celeb couple... the entire Dogs in Oz debacle has been such a spectacle, I wonder... has either of them even been sober this past year?

Piss on 'em both.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by zooterkin; 11th June 2016 at 10:21 AM.
Jim_MDP is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2016, 10:46 AM   #20
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

That's different. Those people didn't even exist. Of course it's possible, it just doesn't have the same aura of "you have got to be kidding me" that Jackie's story had.

And yet that story was taken at face value and believed by many. Indeed, it took the determined persistence of a few to really dig into the story and start uncovering its shortcomings. And even now there are still some who believe Jackie was sexually assaulted in some manner and who hold her up as an example of courage in the face of a terrible event.

These allegations are more mundane. As far as what she has to gain, it seems to me like no amount of money would be worth putting yourself through that. It's not like she would be destitute if they had just split up.

What do you mean "putting yourself through that"? There are going to be many—just as with Jackie—who will simply 'Listen and Believe' and take her story as the gospel truth, and doubting her makes you a misogynist or domestic abuse apologist or what have you. She'll get plenty of sympathy and support and attention from such folks. All she has to do is go on a few television shows, turn on the tears, and many people will believe and think Depp an utterly vile creature.

From what I understand, allegations of domestic abuse are not uncommon in (acrimonious) divorce cases, as it is a means of gaining a much more favourable settlement than would otherwise be the case had the parties been fair-minded and reasonable in their split.
Old 5th June 2016, 12:41 PM   #21
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Why is this even newsworthy on this forum?

Maybe in Humor...
Ditto.
Old 5th June 2016, 03:08 PM   #22
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

I wonder if dog smuggling had anything to do with the divorce?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-1...t-dogs/7333662
Old 5th June 2016, 04:04 PM   #23
Cain
Straussian

I don't know, and I don't really care. I find it plausible that a soft-spoken guy with a substance abuse problem -- someone notorious for trashing hotel rooms* in fits of rage -- would throw a phone at their wife. Ms. Heard seems especially conniving and punchable, but I totally understand why someone would want to marry her. Anyway..

What I read is that she wants $50,000/month (accidentally wrote "year"), which makes no sense to me. How long would she expect to receive that kind of support? Is it until a judgement is made? Should we have spousal support at all? Apparently there's no pre-nup, so just give her half of everything the two made while they were married minus expenses. He probably netted at least 10 million dollars, so cut a check with six zeroes and be done with it. He's a centi-millionaire.

*Or was it just the one hotel room?
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2016, 08:55 AM   #24
ZirconBlue
Sole Survivor of L-Town

I'm not sure that the Court of Public Opinion should be the first venue she should have taken her accusations to.
The numbers look the same on their credit cards.
ZirconBlue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2016, 12:09 PM   #25
Lerxst
Muse

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I've no idea. But I have to admit this only the second time I've ever heard of her, the first being on Top Gear when she was the "Star in a Car" and had Jeremy Clarkson pretty much slobbering over her.
For me it was the other way around. I knew who she was and that she was from my home state, but I just saw the Top Gear episode the other day. I can see why Jeremy was slobbering over her.
Lerxst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2016, 01:04 PM   #26
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

A brief summary: About a week ago Depp's wife of about 1 year, Amber Heard filed for divorce. The next day she posted pictures of her bruised face on Instagram and claimed that Depp had been physically abusive toward her. Depp has defenders though, including his ex-wife, daughter and friend comedian Doug Stanhope.
Possible, but one of his defenders was Vanessa paradis, who was his girlfriend until 2012. He married Amber Heard in 2015, but started dating her in 2012. So, he'd have to go from nice guy to abuser in, well, under a year (at the minimum) or 3 years (at the maximum). That seems like quite a change in a very short amount of time.
Quote:
Keep in mind that Depp has more defenders than just ex-wives, friends and family...

- 2 security guards who worked for the couple mentioned that it was Amber Heard who tended to "fly into rages". Furthermore, they related an incident when they heard Heard yelling "Stop Hitting Me", but when they rushed into the room (seconds later) they were roughly 20 feet apart, and suggested it looked like a "setup".

- Police supposedly responded to a call where Heard claimed that she was hit by a cell phone, but the police saw no bruises (despite pictures she claims were taken after, showing lots of bruising.)

Now, its possible that the guards are lying (maybe they're paid by Depp rather than by Heard.) Maybe she was injured by the cell phone but the cops didn't see any signs because the bruises just happened to show up late. Maybe these 'sources' are people who are making things up. Still, to believe that all of that evidence (exonerating Depp) is wrong seems less possible than assuming that Heard is lying.

http://hollywoodlife.com/2016/05/31/...omestic-abuse/
http://hollywoodlife.com/2016/05/27/...eating-attack/

Quote:
Me: it's hard for me to believe that she is completely making it all up.
Why is that?

Relationships are messy, and ending a relationship is even worse. Heard could be doing things to get more money in the divorce (being an 'abused spouse' would make her more sympathetic. Or maybe she just wants to hurt Depp.

This is a second hand story, but I trust the person I heard it from... A friend of a friend was accused of molesting an ex-girlfriend's mentally handicapped daughter. The case dragged through the courts for years, getting appeal after appeal. Until during one of the trials, the daughter said something like "that's what my mom told me to say". She admitted she was coached by her mom to lie. Was it for money? No... the guy wasn't wealthy, and she wasn't going to receive any spousal support from him regardless. She just wanted to hurt him. With people like that around (who used their daughter to try to get an ex-boyfriend convicted of child molestation), is it so far fetched to believe that someone might fake domestic abuse?

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2016, 01:09 PM   #27
Jules Galen
Banned

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
I wonder if dog smuggling had anything to do with the divorce?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-1...t-dogs/7333662

I don't think it was the primary motivator. I bet Johnny cut Amber's allowance - and that's where things got ugly!
Jules Galen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2016, 01:56 PM   #28
Lerxst
Muse

How long before people start pointing out that Heard is an atheist and that this surely must be the reason why she is doing this to poor little Johnny?
Lerxst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2016, 02:58 PM   #29
cullennz
Banned

Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
How long before people start pointing out that Heard is an atheist and that this surely must be the reason why she is doing this to poor little Johnny?
She sounds a bit weird
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2016, 03:08 PM   #30
RobRoy
Not A Mormon

Originally Posted by ZirconBlue View Post
I'm not sure that the Court of Public Opinion should be the first venue she should have taken her accusations to.
Agreed. I was hoping there would be better information at this point. I've enjoyed Depp's work for years, so I don't want it to be true. Seems like so far this is just a he said/she said and I can't really form an opinion on that.

Isn't Depp an atheist? Seems like that sword would cut both ways.

Now taking bets on the Clinton Indictment!
RobRoy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2016, 03:28 PM   #31
angrysoba
Philosophile

I don't know. But anyone doing it is probably not someone to take seriously.
Old 6th June 2016, 06:52 PM   #32
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I don't know, and I don't really care. I find it plausible that a soft-spoken guy with a substance abuse problem -- someone notorious for trashing hotel rooms* in fits of rage -- would throw a phone at their wife. Ms. Heard seems especially conniving and punchable, but I totally understand why someone would want to marry her. Anyway.
The correct response to Ms H is "I'd do her" not "I'd marry her."

Just sayin'

Depp made what we used to call "an error in judgment."
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2016, 07:23 PM   #33
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post

Just sayin'

You're right, of course, but everybody makes mistakes. My mother did.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2016, 07:33 PM   #34
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Hypothetical people in your world are kinda weird.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2016, 07:42 PM   #35
Jules Galen
Banned

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post

Just sayin'

Well...that is a lot better than "I'd marry her", for sure. However, even though she has a great body, I personally wouldn't "Do Her" with a stolen dick.
Old 7th June 2016, 01:25 AM   #36
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

All I know is she has nice hair.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2016, 05:35 AM   #37
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
You're right, of course, but everybody makes mistakes. My mother did.
And we're all grateful.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2016, 09:52 AM   #38
RobRoy
Not A Mormon

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
And we're all grateful.
Not . . . all of us.

RobRoy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2016, 11:03 AM   #39
sphenisc
Philosopher

Heard is an atheist and that this surely must be the reason why she is doing this to poor little Johnny.
Old 7th June 2016, 11:31 AM   #40
RobRoy
Not A Mormon

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
Heard is an atheist and that this surely must be the reason why she is doing this to poor little Johnny.
39 posts.

I have no idea how much bearing this has on the case, but apparently Heard was arrested for domestic abuse in 2009 but let go with a warning for . . . I dunno, some reason? The article doesn't make it clear. On the other hand, it does include one of Heard's friends and witnesses, iO Tillett Wright, making a public statement on Twitter about the incidents . . . so we're still where we began.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events