IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th December 2021, 10:24 AM   #1
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

An unused Constitutional guarantee...

Writers contend that Article IV of the Constitution guarantees to every state a Republican form of government, prohibiting numerous voter suppression tactics, and Congress should start using it.
Quote:
"The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government."
https://www.salon.com/2021/12/05/the...can-democracy/
https://www.salon.com/2021/12/27/wil...ublic_partner/
https://constitution.congress.gov/br...rantee'%5D
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2021, 10:30 AM   #2
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Again that only mattered back before "We can do anything until someone stops us" became the de-facto motto of the Republican Party.

As stated many, many times there is no "One Weird Trick" that's gonna work.

We aren't going to "There's nothing in the rule book that says a dog can't play football" our way out of this. It's going to take changing public opinion and mentality.
Old 27th December 2021, 10:38 AM   #3
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Again that only mattered back before "We can do anything until someone stops us" became the de-facto motto of the Republican Party.

We aren't going to "There's nothing in the rule book that says a dog can't play football" our way out of this. It's going to take changing public opinion and mentality.
As a firm believer that this is how government should operate, normally I agree with you on this. But I think you are wrong this time.

After serious consideration and examination of what constitutes a republic, an obvious conclusion is Republican governments have a broad discretion to commit perfidy and remain a republic.

By the constitution itself, it asserts it qualifies as a republic. it trashes many principles of democracy by design.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2021, 10:48 AM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

My default interpretational position is that the original colonies were much more interested in state's rights than the post-Civil War union appears to be. Therefore I think they probably saw this clause as a guarantee that the federal government itself would remain republican in form. Not a guarantee that the federal government would enforce or establish a republican form of government in each state.
Old 27th December 2021, 10:54 AM   #5
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
My default interpretational position is that the original colonies were much more interested in state's rights than the post-Civil War union appears to be.
Yeah I can't imagine why that would be.
Old 27th December 2021, 12:31 PM   #6
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

My default interpretational position is that the original colonies were much more interested in state's rights than the post-Civil War union appears to be. Therefore I think they probably saw this clause as a guarantee that the federal government itself would remain republican in form. Not a guarantee that the federal government would enforce or establish a republican form of government in each state.

That's not what Article IV says, and the history of the debate makes clear that it was intended to prevent the states from installing a monarch or dictator who could threaten neighboring states.
Quote:
At which point several men rose to point out they were debating the power of the federal government to "guarantee a Republican Form of Government" to all the states but what if power-hungry people in a particular state were to rise up in rebellion and seize control of that state's government, thus ending statewide republicanism and creating a minor dictatorship or cult?

And then, what if that state then threatened other states' ability to have a government reflecting the will of the people?

Or tried to take them over either by corrupting them from within or invasion? (This was not an idle fear: Both happened just 74 years later, in 1861.)
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2021, 01:12 PM   #7
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Writers contend that Article IV of the Constitution guarantees to every state a Republican form of government, prohibiting numerous voter suppression tactics, and Congress should start using it.

https://constitution.congress.gov/br...rantee'%5D
And that means Republicans should be in charge of every state government!
Old 27th December 2021, 01:15 PM   #8
Venom
Philosopher

Republican...Hah!
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2021, 01:36 PM   #9
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post

Ah, no.
Quote:
There were some core features of republicanism, and one of them was representative democracy, with some level of representation by whoever they consider to be the people. Of course, we think of "the people" today as much broader than they did at the time. But that came out of this desire to promote virtue and prevent anarchy, and try to prevent corruption among leaders that there was always a danger of self-interest getting in the way. So you wanted to promote virtue among the leaders, among the people who were making decisions on behalf of the people. And one way to do that was to make those leaders answerable to the people.
Old 27th December 2021, 01:44 PM   #10
Venom
Philosopher

I don't have much faith that one of the crazier Republicans would be taken to task for publicly saying this. He just needs say it with a straight face.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2021, 02:50 PM   #11
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I like that reasoning.

Unfortunately republican doesn't mean democratic. Originally Senators weren't necessarily elected by public vote. And neither were Presidential electors.
Old 27th December 2021, 03:02 PM   #12
Cain
Straussian

This was undoubtedly raised in the gerrymandering cases that the Supreme Court ruled on. The high court is now even more stacked against democracy, so the remedy" for such "political questions" remains the same: If you don't like it, then change the rules by somehow prevailing in unfair elections.

At best it's a rallying cry to motivate voters to one's cause: "The Constitution SAYS..." Could try to go through the initiative process, but, shockingly, a lot of states do not allow for direct democracy.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2021, 04:05 PM   #13
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

My default interpretational position is that the original colonies were much more interested in state's rights than the post-Civil War union appears to be.
You're forgetting the Articles of Confederation. The current Constitution is America 2.0 because the sainted founding fathers decided they'd erred too far on the side of states' rights the first time.
Old 27th December 2021, 04:16 PM   #14
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
You're forgetting the Articles of Confederation. The current Constitution is America 2.0 because the sainted founding fathers decided they'd erred too far on the side of states' rights the first time.
There was another revolution after the Civil War, the promises of which were not delivered until the mid-20th century. Federalism is under continuous revision.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2021, 08:39 PM   #15
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

It is just such a high bar. For example, a bunch of religious representatives that are horny for God, but not classed as holy intermediaries, is likely still a republic and not a theocracy.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2021, 09:55 PM   #16
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

There's the rub. The SC could interpret "Republican Form of Government" away so that even if Congress tried to outlaw some of the more outrageous state electoral laws, it could be ruled that the attempt doesn't meet the definition of "Republican Form of Government" so it is unconstitutional.
Old 28th December 2021, 06:57 AM   #17
SuburbanTurkey

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

Indeed. The problems of the right wing SCOTUS are only tangentially related to the law. It's not like there isn't already a well-established legal record concerning voting rights. It's just that the right wing is hostile to this and finally has the power, after decades of careful gamesmanship, to exert their political will.

A novel legal approach to the idea that citizens have a right to vote is not helpful and betrays a naivety about the root of the actual problem.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics