IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , mental illness issues , psychiatry incidents , psychiatry issues , Trump controversies

Reply
Old 25th March 2021, 12:00 PM   #1721
dann
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 16,694
Aren't Republicans supposed to be against cancel culture?!
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2021, 12:03 PM   #1722
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,068
If you have psychiatrists coming out in large numbers and discussing his pathology by listing the DSM-V check list then giving several examples on video of Trump doing these things then it wouldn't be just "a partisan opinion" but a medical one. But they can't do that, can they?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2021, 01:14 PM   #1723
xjx388
Moderator
Moderator
 
xjx388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,092
Donald Trump has 'dangerous mental illness' say psychiatry experts at Yale... Pt 3

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
If you have psychiatrists coming out in large numbers and discussing his pathology by listing the DSM-V check list then giving several examples on video of Trump doing these things then it wouldn't be just "a partisan opinion" but a medical one. But they can't do that, can they?an opinion based on the proper practice of medicine.
FTFY.
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2021, 01:27 PM   #1724
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 92,453
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Oh sure, because adding “mentally ill” to the equation really made everyone realize that it wasn’t just a partisan opinion...
That wasn't the point.

It makes speculating Trump was dangerous including how his pathology meant he would be unable to admit wrong or to stop himself was a valid concern. The reason Trump was dangerous was directly related to that pathologic behavior.

Were it not so clear cut there was a mental illness involved, how would one be able to say, he will be dangerous even though we haven't seen just how that is going to happen yet?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2021, 01:30 PM   #1725
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 92,453
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
FTFY.
That doesn't make any sense.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2021, 01:56 PM   #1726
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,068
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
That doesn't make any sense.
You're right. His "correction" doesn't make any sense at all.

Just what does he think mental health professionals base their diagnoses on? They compare the patient's behavior against the DSM checklists. They aren't just suggestions. But then again, he also thinks the only behavior that counts is the one that is seen in person as if decades of that seen in videos, heard/seen in interviews and that described by family, friends, and long time associates are inconsequential. I guess a patient is always unguarded and truthful when being seen involuntarily by a psychiatrist, too. Especially pathological liars like Trump.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2021, 05:11 PM   #1727
xjx388
Moderator
Moderator
 
xjx388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,092
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
You're right. His "correction" doesn't make any sense at all.

Just what does he think mental health professionals base their diagnoses on? They compare the patient's behavior against the DSM checklists. They aren't just suggestions. But then again, he also thinks the only behavior that counts is the one that is seen in person as if decades of that seen in videos, heard/seen in interviews and that described by family, friends, and long time associates are inconsequential. I guess a patient is always unguarded and truthful when being seen involuntarily by a psychiatrist, too. Especially pathological liars like Trump.

Total misrepresentation of not only my position, but the practice of medicine.

In any case, it’s enough for me to know that Yale finally took action, which was a long time coming, but the right thing to do.
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2021, 06:44 PM   #1728
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Antimemetics Division
Posts: 60,329
Yale took action? What did I miss?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2021, 06:55 PM   #1729
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,068
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Total misrepresentation of not only my position, but the practice of medicine.
Then clear it up for us. You've banged the drum of "It's not ethical to give a professional opinion about a public figure's mental health unless the patient has been seen in person because of the Goldwater Rule according to the APA" for well over a year. Exactly what have I misrepresented? What could Trump have done in person that would have convinced Bandy Lee et al that what they had seen and heard in decades of videos and interviews of his public behavior and his private behavior described by family, friends, and long time associates had lead them to a wrong conclusion?

Quote:
In any case, it’s enough for me to know that Yale finally took action, which was a long time coming, but the right thing to do.
I'm sure you feel quite vindicated. The fact that Lee wasn't even a member of the APA, and therefore not bound by their rules, smacks of Yale kowtowing to Dershowitz to me. Since when is Yale beholding to the APA? But to the famous Yale alumnus Alan Dershowitz? Lee is suing Yale for wrongful termination.
Quote:
According to the complaint, Lee’s termination letter, dated May 17, 2020, said the reason for her termination was “because she did not have a formal teaching role.”
Where do you see Lee being fired for breaking the Goldwater Rule? For ethical reasons?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2021, 06:56 PM   #1730
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,068
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Yale took action? What did I miss?
Dershowitz complained. Yale fired Lee. Lee is suing.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2021, 07:41 PM   #1731
xjx388
Moderator
Moderator
 
xjx388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,092
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Then clear it up for us. You've banged the drum of "It's not ethical to give a professional opinion about a public figure's mental health unless the patient has been seen in person because of the Goldwater Rule according to the APA" for well over a year. Exactly what have I misrepresented? What could Trump have done in person that would have convinced Bandy Lee et al that what they had seen and heard in decades of videos and interviews of his public behavior and his private behavior described by family, friends, and long time associates had lead them to a wrong conclusion?



I'm sure you feel quite vindicated. The fact that Lee wasn't even a member of the APA, and therefore not bound by their rules, smacks of Yale kowtowing to Dershowitz to me. Since when is Yale beholding to the APA? But to the famous Yale alumnus Alan Dershowitz? Lee is suing Yale for wrongful termination.

Where do you see Lee being fired for breaking the Goldwater Rule? For ethical reasons?

She was not fired for breaking the Goldwater Rule. She was fired for being unethical. This is clear from the letter she received from the chairman of the Psychology department which you seem to have overlooked in your citation:

Quote:
Referring to her statements about Trump and Dershowitz, Krystal wrote, according to the complaint: “It seems to me ... that the published quotes suggest that you are not making cautious, reasoned statements qualified by the limitations of the information you have .... Worse, the recklessness of your comments creates the appearance that they are self-serving in relation to your personal political beliefs and other possible personal aspirations. … You are putting me in a position where I have to ask, ‘Is this the sort of person that I can trust to teach medical students, residents, and forensic psychiatry fellows?’”
A letter in September to Lee from the chairman (. -AMP link- quoted in a NYT piece)really hammers this home:

Quote:
A September letter from Dr. Krystal to Dr. Lee excerpted in the lawsuit indicates that she was let go after a committee determined that her public statements called into question her “clinical judgment and professionalism” to teach trainees. The letter states that her “diagnostic impressions” of Mr. Trump and other public figures played a role in the school’s decisions.

“You did not make these statements as a layperson offering a political judgment; you made them explicitly in your professional capacity as a psychiatrist and on the basis of your psychiatric knowledge and judgment,” Dr. Krystal wrote, according to the lawsuit. “For that reason, the committee decided it was appropriate to consider how these statements reflected your ability to teach trainees.”

The letter then says, “We recognize that without formal teaching responsibilities your appointment could not be reinstated.”
It’s true that her reappointment was denied after Dershowitz filed a formal complaint. I can’t speak as to why it took this complaint to spur action from the chairman, but the NYT piece suggests this wasn’t the first time it was addressed with her. I think not acting on a complaint is risky, especially a complaint from a famous lawyer. The chairman’s letter warned Lee about making those statements, she didn’t stop and Yale decided not to renew her appointment.

Another Chairman of a Psychiatry department at Colombia University was quoted in the NYT:

Quote:
Jeffrey Lieberman, a Columbia University professor who chairs the psychiatry department, said Dr. Lee’s comments about Mr. Dershowitz were “problematic for the profession, because it means the profession is using terms too loosely and too glibly.”

“It’s just kind of using a word, a term, that has a clinical meaning and also conveys or connotes a certain level of severity of mental disturbance in a way that’s really inappropriate,” he said.
I think Yale acted appropriately and in what they thought was their best interests. Given that Yale didn’t pay her, they don’t owe her an affiliation and her refusal to behave ethically, I think her lawsuit goes nowhere, but the court system is unpredictable.
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2021, 09:08 PM   #1732
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 92,453
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
She was not fired for breaking the Goldwater Rule. She was fired for being unethical. This is clear from the letter she received from the chairman of the Psychology department which you seem to have overlooked in your citation:

A letter in September to Lee from the chairman (. -AMP link- quoted in a NYT piece)really hammers this home:

It’s true that her reappointment was denied after Dershowitz filed a formal complaint. I can’t speak as to why it took this complaint to spur action from the chairman, but the NYT piece suggests this wasn’t the first time it was addressed with her. I think not acting on a complaint is risky, especially a complaint from a famous lawyer. The chairman’s letter warned Lee about making those statements, she didn’t stop and Yale decided not to renew her appointment.

Another Chairman of a Psychiatry department at Colombia University was quoted in the NYT:

I think Yale acted appropriately and in what they thought was their best interests. Given that Yale didn’t pay her, they don’t owe her an affiliation and her refusal to behave ethically, I think her lawsuit goes nowhere, but the court system is unpredictable.
So you're all about the ethics of the Goldwater rule until you aren't?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2021, 10:27 PM   #1733
xjx388
Moderator
Moderator
 
xjx388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,092
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
So you're all about the ethics of the Goldwater rule until you aren't?

Huh? What in the world would make you say that? I’m for medical ethics, period.
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2021, 01:05 AM   #1734
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,068
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
She was not fired for breaking the Goldwater Rule. She was fired for being unethical. This is clear from the letter she received from the chairman of the Psychology department which you seem to have overlooked in your citation:



A letter in September to Lee from the chairman (. -AMP link- quoted in a NYT piece)really hammers this home:



It’s true that her reappointment was denied after Dershowitz filed a formal complaint. I can’t speak as to why it took this complaint to spur action from the chairman, but the NYT piece suggests this wasn’t the first time it was addressed with her. I think not acting on a complaint is risky, especially a complaint from a famous lawyer. The chairman’s letter warned Lee about making those statements, she didn’t stop and Yale decided not to renew her appointment.

Another Chairman of a Psychiatry department at Colombia University was quoted in the NYT:



I think Yale acted appropriately and in what they thought was their best interests. Given that Yale didn’t pay her, they don’t owe her an affiliation and her refusal to behave ethically, I think her lawsuit goes nowhere, but the court system is unpredictable.
Oh, but she most certainly was fired for breaking the Goldwater Rule (See below). A rule established by an association she has not been a member of since 2007. And she was only fired after Dershowitz filed a complaint in January 2020. Lee's book was published in 2017 and she'd been speaking out about Trump's mental illness for 3 1/2 years before she was fired in May 2020. Why had she not been fired before then if Yale found her to be so 'unethical'? That letter from Krystal you quoted was from the following Sept., several months after she'd been fired, not before. So, I ask again: why was she only fired after Dershowitz filed his complaint when she'd been breaking the Goldwater Rule and thus been so "unethical" for three and a half years already? It doesn't take a huge stretch of the imagination to figure that one out.


Quote:
According to court documents, after Dershowitz sent his letter on Jan. 11, chair of the Psychiatry Department John Krystal MED ’84 warned Lee via an email that the department “would be compelled to ‘terminate [her] teaching role’” if she continued to make similar public statements. She continued to tweet about the mental fitness of Trump even after Krystal’s warning. Lee then met with Krystal and additional unnamed faculty members and was told that she “breached psychiatric ethics,” according to an email excerpt in the filing. According to court documents, Yale refused to hold additional discussions or investigate the accusations further. On May 17, 2020, Lee was notified that she was terminated. She appealed the decision multiple times in August and September, to no avail.

Krystal wrote to Lee in a Sept. 4 letter included in the court filing that the department’s main consideration in the termination was her “clinical judgement and professionalism” after she publicly stated her “diagnostic impressions” of Trump and other public figures. Krystal emphasized in the letter that the termination “was not because of the political content” of her statements.

“Although the committee does not doubt that you are acting on the basis of your personal moral code,” the letter read, “your repeated violations of the APA’s Goldwater Rule and your inappropriate transfer of the duty to warn from the treatment setting to national politics raised significant doubts about your understanding of crucial ethical and legal principles in psychiatry.”
https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2021/...mp-dershowitz/
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2021, 02:08 AM   #1735
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 12,488
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Huh? What in the world would make you say that? I’m for medical ethics, period.
As adopted by certain professional organizations. And IMO the Goldwater Rule isn't really about medical ethics, but professional ones. As in, does she owe any debt to the profession that would restrict her from acting on her own personal standards, when she's not a member of the association?

Neither Bandy nor Yale come off well here: Yale waited 3 years to dismiss her, and Bandy IMO has used this controversy to grow her fame and write a book. Her "duty to warn" was a little hollow when it occurred after the election, and action was proposed when there was no constitutional basis for. It's not like a crisis intervention team was at the ready to get him into treatment (if there was a mechanism to for to force a psychiatric evaluation, and if there was a treatment, which there isn't.)

I agree in this case that her recent depiction of Dershowitz as being plagued by a mass delusion shared by tens of millions of Americans is dubious; "glib" and "problematic" for the profession. Not for the "patient," the profession.

I also wonder how Lee got past another ethical hurdle. Maybe it isn't one, since she doesn't assume in-person diagnosis is needed. But if an exam were done, what confidentiality would the doc owe to the subject of his examination? I know there are criminal cases where forensic shrinks are bound by duty to report findings to the court, but there aren't any laws like that when it comes to presidents, and if she thinks there are, *she's* delusional, loosely speaking There was zero possibility of immediate action.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2021, 08:20 AM   #1736
xjx388
Moderator
Moderator
 
xjx388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,092
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
As adopted by certain professional organizations.
Yes, certainly the APA code of ethics is the basis for ethics in the whole field of psychiatry. Doctors are expected to be ethical regardless of what professional organizations they are a part of and many institutions incorporate the code of ethics into their contracts. Even if they don’t it’s still the de facto ethical code by which physicians are judged. Yale is not obligated to use any organization’s ethical code and I’m not saying they used it as a reference here but it makes sense; why reinvent the wheel.
Quote:
And IMO the Goldwater Rule isn't really about medical ethics, but professional ones. As in, does she owe any debt to the profession that would restrict her from acting on her own personal standards, when she's not a member of the association?
Definitely, there’s a big element of protecting the profession which in turn protects the profession’s ability to serve patients. But there’s also an element of protecting patients directly by attempting to reduce the stigma of mental illness. In this case, mental illness was used to paint Trump as dangerous when it’s clear that the vast majority of people with mental illness aren’t dangerous and it’s also clear that mental illness isn’t a necessary factor for one to be dangerous.

Quote:
Neither Bandy nor Yale come off well here: Yale waited 3 years to dismiss her
True, and that is problematic for them. However the NYT article does say that they addressed the issue with her and wanted her to make it clear that she was speaking for herself and not for Yale. She then continued to escalate her comments to include millions of Americans and I think that’s when it became a bigger problem for her and Yale. Plus, she kept being introduced as a Yale professor. I also think it would have been more difficult to terminate an appointment she had rather than simply refuse to renew the appointment.
Quote:
and Bandy IMO has used this controversy to grow her fame and write a book. Her "duty to warn" was a little hollow when it occurred after the election, and action was proposed when there was no constitutional basis for. It's not like a crisis intervention team was at the ready to get him into treatment (if there was a mechanism to for to force a psychiatric evaluation, and if there was a treatment, which there isn't.)
Thats exactly it. In the legal sense of “duty to warn,” the idea is that the doc can break confidentiality to alert others to an immediate, specific danger so that swift action can be taken to prevent ;e.g., call the police to prevent harm to a third-party. But in this case, there is no action that can be taken and there was no specific, immediate threat.

Quote:
I agree in this case that her recent depiction of Dershowitz as being plagued by a mass delusion shared by tens of millions of Americans is dubious; "glib" and "problematic" for the profession. Not for the "patient," the profession.
I would quibble a bit: it could be considered defamatory to say Dershowitz is mentally ill when she’s not in a position to know that as a fact -a reckless disregard of the the truth.

Quote:
I also wonder how Lee got past another ethical hurdle. Maybe it isn't one, since she doesn't assume in-person diagnosis is needed. But if an exam were done, what confidentiality would the doc owe to the subject of his examination? I know there are criminal cases where forensic shrinks are bound by duty to report findings to the court, but there aren't any laws like that when it comes to presidents, and if she thinks there are, *she's* delusional, loosely speaking There was zero possibility of immediate action.
I agree with this and I’ve made a similar argument. Medical information is considered confidential. If indeed, for the sake of argument, accurate diagnosis (or at least accurate assessment) is possible for a professional to do from afar, without meeting someone....well, why wouldn’t that information be considered confidential as well? I understand the counter-argument: no patient-physician relationship was established so there’s no privilege. But if there’s no professional relationship, with all that entails, then there’s no basis to establish accuracy of the statements or that the statements are free of bias.
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2021, 05:51 PM   #1737
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,068
Quote:
I also think it would have been more difficult to terminate an appointment she had rather than simply refuse to renew the appointment.
You can get technical and fancy it up any way you want, but when you get down to the basics, she was fired.

Quote:
In this case, mental illness was used to paint Trump as dangerous when it’s clear that the vast majority of people with mental illness aren’t dangerous and it’s also clear that mental illness isn’t a necessary factor for one to be dangerous.
Nonsense. Trump's mental illness was the reason for his dangerousness. He wasn't dangerous because he had the code for "the bomb": he was dangerous because he suffers from a mental illness that makes him unfit to have the code for the bomb. And xjx388 knows it.

Quote:
it could be considered defamatory to say Dershowitz is mentally ill when she’s not in a position to know that as a fact -a reckless disregard of the the truth.
Lee never said Dershowitz is mentally ill.

No medical/mental health professional has ever met with Trump in person and formally diagnosed him with NPD. But any credible and intellectually honest professional would not be able to deny he doesn't meet the criteria to be so diagnosed. Goldwater Rule be damned. And
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2021, 08:29 PM   #1738
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 92,453
For an opinion that differs from Dershowitz:

David Kay Johnston's DC Report: We Stand With Our Writer
Bandy Lee Sues Yale, Says University Fired Her Over Efforts to Expose Donald Trump’s Mental Illness
Quote:
As Dr. Bandy X. Lee’s frequent publisher, we, the editors of DCReport.org, believe she has made vital contributions to our understanding of public mental health, and she responsibly underscored the damaging effects of deeply mentally ill Donald Trump’s grip on the most powerful job in the world.

Trump’s delusions, which are well-documented and were noticed for decades, have resulted in the spread of baseless conspiracy theories, numerous acts of deadly violence and the failed Jan. 6 attempt to overthrow our government.

Collateral damage from Trumpism continues. Yet, some Trump followers who embraced his delusions appear to be recovering from their own temporary loss of rationality and mental well-being.

Yale University fired Lee, an established professor on its medical school faculty, citing the misnamed Goldwater Rule. That non-governmental policy — a gag order in Lee’s view — directs mental health professionals to hold their tongues about the mental well-being of officials.

... To deny the citizenry the insights of educated mental health professionals is more than absurd; it is an attack on the very principle of American democratic self-governance.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2021, 09:51 AM   #1740
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.
 
Ladewig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 28,530
Originally Posted by CNN
The former President falsely claimed in an interview with Fox News last week that the pro-Trump mob that stormed the Capitol earlier this year in an attack that left five dead, including a police officer, behaved properly with law enforcement and that there was "zero threat" to the building. He also claimed that some of the rioters "went in, and they are hugging and kissing the police and the guards."
Nope. No evidence here that DJT might have a mental disorder related to narcissism.
Only a board certified psychiatrist talking to him in person can find that kind of evidence. The president’s mental and emotional state will be a mystery for the ages.
__________________
I lost an avatar bet to Doghouse Reilly.

Last edited by Ladewig; 30th March 2021 at 09:53 AM.
Ladewig is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2021, 11:32 AM   #1741
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,068
Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Nope. No evidence here that DJT might have a mental disorder related to narcissism.
Only a board certified psychiatrist talking to him in person can find that kind of evidence. The president’s mental and emotional state will be a mystery for the ages.
Did you see the video of him at a wedding at Mar a Lago where he goes into his narcissistic "aren't I wonderful" spiel? What normal person does that at a wedding?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2021, 12:30 PM   #1742
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 21,871
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Did you see the video of him at a wedding at Mar a Lago where he goes into his narcissistic "aren't I wonderful" spiel? What normal person does that at a wedding?



For those who want nitpick and claim MSNBC are wrong, that he didn't crash the party, but was an invited guest, I know that. I Photoshopped this. The face palms were not at the same time, they were a few second apart, and the byline was different.

https://youtu.be/TUnlmKGqZAY?t=78
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!

Last edited by smartcooky; 30th March 2021 at 12:36 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2021, 10:34 PM   #1743
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.
 
Ladewig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 28,530
I imagine that an important question in evaluating someone like DJT is does he know his BS is BS or does he really believe the stuff he makes up. Do psychiatrists have any insight in determining how professional BS artists view themselves?
__________________
I lost an avatar bet to Doghouse Reilly.
Ladewig is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2021, 10:31 AM   #1744
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,068
Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I imagine that an important question in evaluating someone like DJT is does he know his BS is BS or does he really believe the stuff he makes up. Do psychiatrists have any insight in determining how professional BS artists view themselves?
That's the thing; just how does a psychiatrist determine whether Trump is bs'ing him? As one I quoted much earlier said, sociopaths/psychopaths are very good at manipulating people and even professionals can be fooled by them in an in-person interview, especially when they know they are being assessed.

Mary Trump and Michael Cohen said:

Quote:
“He’s the only person I’ve ever met who can gaslight himself,” Mary Trump, a clinical psychologist and critic of her uncle, told VICE News in an interview on Monday. “I don’t think he’s ever accepted the truth of the loss. I don't think he’s psychologically or emotionally capable of that.”

Michael Cohen, Trump’s estranged former personal attorney who spent 15 years at Trump’s elbow, takes the same view. “It’s the difference between a ******** artist and a sociopath,” Cohen told VICE News. “Donald Trump is a sociopath, because he does believe his own ********.”
I think Trump knows he's lying most of the time, but believes what he psychologically/emotionally needs to believe. For example, he truly believes his Big Lie.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2021, 07:33 PM   #1745
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.
 
Ladewig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 28,530
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Mary Trump and Michael Cohen said:

I think Trump knows he's lying most of the time, but believes what he psychologically/emotionally needs to believe. For example, he truly believes his Big Lie.
Is there much of a reason to assume that he doesn’t psychologically/emotionally need to believe all of it?

Most times when I watch him I get the impression that he just describes the world the way he wants it to be and then yells at people who don’t fawn over his insightful unmatched genius.

I think he really believes that no one in the history of the country know more about infrastructure that he does. I know it is overused and sometimes misused, but he could be the very embodiment of Dunning-Krueger.
__________________
I lost an avatar bet to Doghouse Reilly.
Ladewig is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2021, 08:24 PM   #1746
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,068
Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Is there much of a reason to assume that he doesn’t psychologically/emotionally need to believe all of it?

Most times when I watch him I get the impression that he just describes the world the way he wants it to be and then yells at people who don’t fawn over his insightful unmatched genius.

I think he really believes that no one in the history of the country know more about infrastructure that he does. I know it is overused and sometimes misused, but he could be the very embodiment of Dunning-Krueger.
He's so psychologically damaged at this point that who can tell with him anymore? Nothing would surprise me at this point with him.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2021, 08:29 PM   #1747
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 32,813
I wonder sometimes if it isn't both at the same time. To presume he must either believe or not believe his lies presumes that he is still in some sense in control of himself.

I think a certain sort of narcissist can intentionally lie, but he also cannot disbelieve anything he says. Once he's uttered it, it cannot be anything but true.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 04:19 AM   #1748
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.
 
Ladewig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 28,530
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
He's so psychologically damaged at this point that who can tell with him anymore? Nothing would surprise me at this point with him.
Yes.

I’m not entirely convinced he understands the concepts of true and false.

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I wonder sometimes if it isn't both at the same time. To presume he must either believe or not believe his lies presumes that he is still in some sense in control of himself.

I think a certain sort of narcissist can intentionally lie, but he also cannot disbelieve anything he says. Once he's uttered it, it cannot be anything but true.
I guess that would be an important part of his angrily insisting that he didn’t say things that were recorded on video a few days or even several minutes before.
__________________
I lost an avatar bet to Doghouse Reilly.

Last edited by Ladewig; 3rd April 2021 at 04:29 AM.
Ladewig is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2021, 11:29 PM   #1749
dann
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 16,694
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Quote:
Dr. Lance Dodes, retired Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School, joins Lawrence O’Donnell to discuss Donald Trump reportedly making false claims that he will be “reinstated” as president by August and why “lack of power is the thing Trump can’t stand and doesn’t acknowledge.”
Psychiatrist: ‘Donald Trump Is Delusional’ Even Out Of Office (MSNBC, June 3, 2021)


YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Quote:
Maggie Haberman says former President Donald Trump is echoing a QAnon conspiracy theory telling people that he will be reinstated as president by August.
Trump says he'll be reinstated as president by August (CNN, June 2, 2021)
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 3rd June 2021 at 12:01 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2021, 10:27 AM   #1750
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,068
This is what I find so damned disgusting about the GOP leadership, especially McConnell and McCarthy: Trump is clearly mentally ill, delusional, and dangerous and yet they support him and his lies. And it's all for their own power. Clearly they care more about regaining and retaining their majority power in Congress than the country. I detest those two more than Trump because at least Trump has the excuse of being mentally ill; McConnell and McCarthy are just plain selfish, disgusting, pieces of steaming excrement.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2021, 09:56 PM   #1751
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो
 
Delvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: North Tonawanda, NY
Posts: 10,435
The fact that his new "social media" thing was an isolated blog might be the single best demonstration of his mentality. He seriously thought that what had made his Twitter account as "popular" as it had been was just him. To him, it wouldn't matter what environment his posts would appear in; people would just flock to wherever it was that he happened to be. The differences between a Twitter account and a self-hosted blog wouldn't matter because those factors are about other people and other people don't matter.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2021, 11:09 PM   #1752
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 63,515
Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
The fact that his new "social media" thing was an isolated blog might be the single best demonstration of his mentality. He seriously thought that what had made his Twitter account as "popular" as it had been was just him. To him, it wouldn't matter what environment his posts would appear in; people would just flock to wherever it was that he happened to be. The differences between a Twitter account and a self-hosted blog wouldn't matter because those factors are about other people and other people don't matter.
I wish his daughter would just tell Trump that people can hear his thoughts, that he can broadcast them telepathically. He'd believe that, and spend the rest of his life sitting on his enormous posterior, thinking fiercely and imagining billions and trillions of people just adoring him from afar. He'd never bother anyone again except his household staff, which is how he'd think of the people in white coats who give him his strange-tasting sodas that make him so sleepy, soooo sleeeeepy...
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2021, 03:40 PM   #1753
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 12,010
And pull up his pants for him.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2021, 05:25 PM   #1754
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In a post-fact world
Posts: 96,875
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
And pull up his pants for him.
Don't start that here please.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2021, 06:00 PM   #1755
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,068
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Don't start that here please.
Thank you.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2021, 08:05 PM   #1756
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 12,010
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Don't start that here please.
Jeeeezus please, just no.

__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 6th June 2021 at 08:06 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2021, 10:43 AM   #1757
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 15,638
Another psychiatric assessment of Trump's impact:
Quote:
I would describe Trump's most extreme devotees as members of a charismatic cult. Such cults unconditionally worship a charismatic leader who is often delusional with a grandiose, psychotic belief in his perfection, like Trump. The followers close themselves off from accurate or rational information in order to protect their connection to the godlike cult leader and to avoid questioning his delusional views, which would cause them to be shunned or expelled from the group.
https://www.salon.com/2021/06/14/for...ormous-danger/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2021, 06:57 PM   #1758
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 26,068
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Another psychiatric assessment of Trump's impact:

https://www.salon.com/2021/06/14/for...ormous-danger/
OH, no! Someone call the Ethics Police!

Quote:
For at least the past five years, some of America's and the world's foremost mental health experts have attempted to warn the public that Donald Trump was (and is) a dire threat to public safety.

Based on Trump's public behavior and other available information, these experts warned that he appears to be a malignant narcissist, a pathological liar who is obsessed with violence, easily manipulated by praise and other ego-stroking behavior, indifferent to the suffering of other human beings, anti-social and anti-human in his values and behavior, irresponsible and impulsive and in total quite likely a sociopath or perhaps a psychopath.

They were almost entirely correct: Donald Trump undermined and destabilized American society and democracy.
Quote:
In this conversation, Dodes warns that Donald Trump appears to be a psychopath and that his dangerous behavior will only get worse. He argues that Trump's delusional beliefs fuel the Republican Party's detachment from reality, as shown through the Big Lie, conspiratorial thinking, the right-wing propaganda media and other anti-democratic beliefs and behavior. At the end of this conversation, Dodes once again expresses the view that Donald Trump believes himself to be a type of god, and that if he somehow returns to power may actually try to create an authoritarian police state.
Wow! Dodes didn't interview Trump in person. How unethical of him to call him a psychopath and to continue to warn us about Trump and what could happen if he ever becomes POTUS again !

Last edited by Stacyhs; 14th June 2021 at 07:12 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2021, 07:08 PM   #1759
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 92,453
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
OH, no! Someone call the Ethics Police!

Wow! Dodes didn't interview Trump in person. How unethical of him to call im a psychopath and to continue to warn us about Trump and what could happen if he ever becomes POTUS again by !
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2021, 07:23 PM   #1760
xjx388
Moderator
Moderator
 
xjx388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,092
The Ethics Police have arrived and consider this a nuisance call at this point
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:58 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.