IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd June 2022, 07:35 PM   #1
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Utah County Gripped by Bizarre Accusations of Murder and Cannibalization of Kids

Utah County Gripped by Bizarre Accusations of Murder and Cannibalization of Kids

Quote:
A wild QAnon conspiracy theory that has followers convinced progressives rape and eat kids has bubbled into a small county in Utah.

Utah County Attorney David Leavitt, who is running for re-election, is calling for the immediate removal of the county sheriff, Mike Smith, over a bizarre report implicating Leavitt in a “ritualistic” sex ring known for “cannibalizing young children.”

The 151-page report, which was released by the sheriff Wednesday among law enforcement but has not been made public, is said to name Leavitt and his wife as integral figures in the trumped up conspiracy. The report claims the abuse took place between 1990 and 2010 and was carried out in three Utah counties.

In announcing the investigation into “ritualistic child sexual abuse and child sex trafficking” on Tuesday, the sheriff called on any potential victims who may have survived to come forward, but he said he did not directly name Leavitt. He said he has no plans to resign and refused to apologize for using his budget to fund the questionable investigation into a political foe. Instead, he blamed the county attorney for abuse of power.

“I believe that Leavitt is using his authority and his pulpit to bully, distract and mischaracterize the facts of an ongoing investigation,” Smith told reporters Wednesday. When asked about Leavitt’s alleged involvement, he said, “We don’t talk about who is under investigation.”
Old 2nd June 2022, 08:17 PM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Haha "gripped". Says yahoo news.
Old 2nd June 2022, 09:44 PM   #3
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Haha "gripped".
Definition of grip:-
2 : to hold the interest of strongly - a story that grips the reader
Originally Posted by theprestige
Says yahoo news.
Actually it's the Daily Beast.

But yeah, 'gripped' haha.

I mean, what about this story is 'gripping'? An investigation into 'ritualistic child sexual abuse and child sex trafficking' described by the sheriff as 'some of the most egregious crimes that happen in our community', possibly involving 'cannibalizing young children'? That the sheriff appealed on Fox News for 'any potential victims who may have survived to come forward' for abuses alleged to have occurred over a decade ago between 1990 and 2010? Or that though he said 'no one was personally named in the report' a political foe insists that, in fact, he and his wife were named on purpose just a week before ballots were sent out?

Outlandish perhaps, but 'gripping'? Accusations of ritualistic child sexual abuse and cannibalizing young children are being investigated all the time, and liberal politicians are often under suspicion for it (especially when elections are coming up). There is nothing new here, just the same old same old.

Attorney Accused of Murdering Small Children, Cannibalism: 'Outlandish'
Quote:
Leavitt is allegedly named as part of the sheriff's office investigation, according to a 35-minute press conference he held Wednesday saying how he found out he and his wife, Chelom, were accused of heinous acts.

"For the first time in the reportedly 15 or 20 years since the report was given, I learned that my wife and I were part of those allegations, alleging that we were guilty of cannibalizing young children and murdering young children. [T]here is no organized ring of abuse," Leavitt said Wednesday. "It was debunked more than 10 years ago. The allegations that are there are so outlandish and so crazy that they're just not true."...

ABC 4 reported that the only link to Leavitt's alleged involvement with the aforementioned sex abuse ring is related to a man being prosecuted by Leavitt's office for a 2008 rape case.

That individual, Nicholas Rossi, reportedly faked his death in the United States and is currently living in Scotland under an alias.

It was reported that Rossi claimed in an online post that Leavitt and his wife were guilty of murdering and cannibalizing young children, also claiming that Utah County Sheriff's Office Public Information Officer Sergeant Spencer Cannon confirmed such accusations.

Leavitt told Newsweek that "as the evidence begins to build, what we know is that the sheriff's PIO [Cannon] has been coordinating with Nicholas Rossi—a convicted sex offender who is a rape defendant in a Utah County case. It serves each of their interests."

"Why does any member of the Utah County Sheriff's Office have anything to do with a man I'm prosecuting for rape, if not to collaborate to discredit me?" Leavitt said.
This could have been cleared up very quickly with little fuss. All Sheriff Smith had to do was confirm that Levitt and his wife are not currently under investigation and that the claims made against them are indeed outlandish and crazy. That would taken the wind out of Leavitt's sails. But he didn't, which is why we have this 'gripping' news article.

Last edited by Roger Ramjets; 2nd June 2022 at 09:47 PM.
Roger Ramjets is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2022, 05:33 PM   #4
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I think the word is being used in its "taken hold" sense. They're not saying that the story is a real page-turner that will leave you asking for more.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2022, 05:59 PM   #5
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

How can they tie this in to Comet Ping Pong?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg It sure as heck is.jpg (47.7 KB, 19 views)
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2022, 06:22 PM   #6
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Haha "gripped". Says yahoo news.
Right winger does something stupid, so the ISF conservative response is predictable: Try to nitpick the grammar. And fail.
Old 3rd June 2022, 09:00 PM   #7
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Spelling mistake? GRIPING news?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2022, 09:07 PM   #8
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I think the word is being used in its "taken hold" sense. They're not saying that the story is a real page-turner that will leave you asking for more.
Strangely though, it did turn out to be a 'real page turner' for me, as I tried to get to the bottom of it - which I wouldn't have if not for theprestige's comment.

There's actually a lot more to this story than dismissive attitudes towards it would suggest.
Old 3rd June 2022, 09:11 PM   #9
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Ok. So there are going to be a few Q-tips running around thinking bat **** crazy stuff. Its an unfortunate given here in the 21st century. Out of a given voting population, though, wouldn't a majority think "you know, the Sheriff does appear to be an unhinged loon right about now..."

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2022, 11:23 PM   #10
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Ok. So there are going to be a few Q-tips running around thinking bat **** crazy stuff. Its an unfortunate given here in the 21st century. Out of a given voting population, though, wouldn't a majority think "you know, the Sheriff does appear to be an unhinged loon right about now..."
QAnon is pretty prevalent in the GOP right now so not necessarily.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2022, 12:20 AM   #11
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
How can they tie this in to Comet Ping Pong?
All we have to do is find the basement and the whole thing will break wide open.
Old 4th June 2022, 02:06 AM   #12
Checkmite

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Strangely though, it did turn out to be a 'real page turner' for me, as I tried to get to the bottom of it - which I wouldn't have if not for theprestige's comment.

There's actually a lot more to this story than dismissive attitudes towards it would suggest.
Do you have more information to share than is given in the links already posted in this thread? If not, we'll have to agree to disagree about there being "a lot more" to the story. It really just seems to be the case that the county sheriff has suddenly announced an investigation that purportedly implicates his political rival in QAnon-type child-eating conspiracy allegations days before the election.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th June 2022, 04:48 AM   #13
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
There's crazy and there's Quazy. I think this story is Quazy, man.
Old 5th June 2022, 04:32 PM   #14
slyjoe
Illuminator

What is the statute of limitations on cannibalism?

Enquiring minds and all want to know.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2022, 05:04 PM   #15
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Do you have more information to share than is given in the links already posted in this thread? If not, we'll have to agree to disagree about there being "a lot more" to the story. It really just seems to be the case that the county sheriff has suddenly announced an investigation that purportedly implicates his political rival in QAnon-type child-eating conspiracy allegations days before the election.
"Just the usual dirty politics, folks, nothing to see here. Move along please".

Is that what the World has come too? Anything less than an actual child-eating conspiracy is not worth discussing?

In another tread, someone said "I just don't understand how the cupboard can be so bare in a country of 350 million people.". I think I may have found the reason.
Old 5th June 2022, 05:08 PM   #16
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Was the subject of the investigation seen leaving a store with Chianti and fava beans?
Old 5th June 2022, 05:47 PM   #17
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I do love that they have photos of the County Attorney and the Sheriff, and the photos are mislabeled unless sheriffs wear suits and county attorneys wear cowboy hats and uniforms.

And then they label Utah County as a "small county in Utah." One of those small counties with about 600,000 residents?

At the end of the day, though, it does seem like the sheriff is trying to push this allegation and so yes we have indeed located another nut in a position of power. Somebody tell DiFi!
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2022, 09:44 PM   #18
Checkmite

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
"Just the usual dirty politics, folks, nothing to see here. Move along please".

Is that what the World has come too? Anything less than an actual child-eating conspiracy is not worth discussing?

In another tread, someone said "I just don't understand how the cupboard can be so bare in a country of 350 million people.". I think I may have found the reason.
I'm unclear about what exactly you're objecting to.

I think the claim itself, separately from who's making it and who is implicated, is absurd on its face so there's no real need to dig into it specifically. Do you disagree with that and think there's a chance it's worth investigating whether there is in fact a statewide baby-eating ring in Utah and-or whether this country DA is part of it?

Or, is the fact that the sheriff is taking the allegation seriously (or at least asserting that he is) something you think merits further discussion? It seems patently absurd to me but I'm not really sure what more there is to say about it than that. But, I'm also not the King of Perspective. What are your thoughts about it, if you have some?
Old 6th June 2022, 01:38 PM   #19
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post

I'm more concerned with the freezer-life limitations of human meat. Using a FoodSaver really helps but baby brain and liver just seem to be more susceptible to freezer burn even with FoodSaver bags. Anyone know? Just asking for a friend.

Thanks, Hillary.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2022, 02:46 PM   #20
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Good question. Does the clock start ticking when you kill the person whom you plan to eat, or when you actually consume them? Or suppose you didn't actually kill the person (so they can't get you for murder), but just received the resulting cold cuts, so to speak. Is possession sufficient to be charged with cannibalism? Or do you actually have to eat it? Suppose I make jerky from human flesh and eat it 10 years from now, would I still be guilty?

Man, it's so complicated. May as well stick to hot dogs.
Old 6th June 2022, 06:15 PM   #21
shemp

Originally Posted by Stellafane View Post
Good question. Does the clock start ticking when you kill the person whom you plan to eat, or when you actually consume them? Or suppose you didn't actually kill the person (so they can't get you for murder), but just received the resulting cold cuts, so to speak. Is possession sufficient to be charged with cannibalism? Or do you actually have to eat it? Suppose I make jerky from human flesh and eat it 10 years from now, would I still be guilty?

You sure there's no human flesh in those mystery meat tubes?
Old 6th June 2022, 06:20 PM   #22
ZiprHead
Muse

Those things will kill ya.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2022, 06:22 PM   #23
ZiprHead
Muse

What is the preferred condiment to go with kid meat?

And can you complimentary recommend a wine?

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2022, 06:52 PM   #24
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Well, I prefer a medium spicy barbecue sauce with my baby back ribs. As for wine, here's an amusing little vintage that might do the trick.
Old 6th June 2022, 07:27 PM   #25
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Well, I prefer a medium spicy barbecue sauce with my baby back ribs. As for wine, here's an amusing little vintage that might do the trick.
I prefer a nice Nobile Montepulciano with human red meat. I drink it from these lovely wine glasses I bought in Montepulciano about 4 ears ago:

Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2022, 03:16 AM   #26
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I'm more concerned with the freezer-life limitations of human meat.

At Sunday school, I heard that dried, powderized and baked as wafers it should be good for another 2,000 years or so.

Originally Posted by shemp View Post

Is it a Mormon thing?
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2022, 04:53 AM   #27
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

I find it interesting that it covers that time period where there were a whole bunch of spurious day-care scandals involving ritual sexual abuse.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2022, 04:53 AM   #28
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Why do we think such common republican ideology is bizarre? Looks like basic Qannon and that is not really uncommon.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2022, 05:08 AM   #29
SuburbanTurkey

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
There's nothing uniquely 21st century about moral panics, or even satanic panics specifically. Q anon is arguably just a repackaging and compilation of long running conspiracy theories and ginned up panics, and the current craze about child sex abuse is a straight copy and paste job from the 90s.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 7th June 2022 at 05:09 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2022, 07:16 AM   #30
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
There's nothing uniquely 21st century about moral panics, or even satanic panics specifically. Q anon is arguably just a repackaging and compilation of long running conspiracy theories and ginned up panics, and the current craze about child sex abuse is a straight copy and paste job from the 90s.
Agreed. but I didn't say 'uniquely', just that it's a given now. Kind of like it is a given in the 21st century that objects unsupported move towards the center of the earth.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2022, 11:12 AM   #31
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I assume cannibalism would involve murder, and there is no stature of limitations on murder.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2022, 11:18 AM   #32
Armitage72
Philosopher

This made me think of a conversation that can happen in Oblivion.

"By the way... do you happen to know what the fine is here in Cyrodiil for necrophilia? Just asking."
"Is it the first offense?"
"Let's assume 'no'."
"Then it's at least 500 gold."
"That's nothing compared to Morrowind. Thanks."
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2022, 11:57 AM   #33
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I prefer a nice Nobile Montepulciano with human red meat. I drink it from these lovely wine glasses I bought in Montepulciano about 4 ears ago:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...eb7887ca4d.jpg
Is that long time? How often do have ear? Not a favorite cut of mine.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2022, 12:49 PM   #34
shemp

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I assume cannibalism would involve murder, and there is no stature of limitations on murder.
Not necessarily. Human flesh can be removed without death. If it's a small amount in the right place, it might even grow back.

Unless, of course, somebody goes all Dahmer on you.
Old 7th June 2022, 02:31 PM   #35
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Not necessarily. Human flesh can be removed without death. If it's a small amount in the right place, it might even grow back.

Unless, of course, somebody goes all Dahmer on you.
Alferd Packer would be a better comparsion give where his story took place......

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2022, 12:30 AM   #36
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Is that long time? How often do have ear? Not a favorite cut of mine.
An 'ear' is one quarter less than a full 'year'.
Old 8th June 2022, 02:58 PM   #37
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
What if someone else slaughters them for you?
Old 8th June 2022, 03:01 PM   #38
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
What if someone else slaughters them for you?
It’s not like they can get me for hunting without a license when I order venison steak.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2022, 05:03 PM   #39
slyjoe
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
What is the preferred condiment to go with kid meat?

And can you complimentary recommend a wine?
A nice Chianti, obviously.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2022, 06:23 PM   #40
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

A nice Chianti, obviously.
Plebian. Nobile Montepulciano has just the right amount of body for that tender meat.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics