ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Old 7th August 2020, 11:01 AM   #481
Garrison
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...?ocid=msedgdhp

"Priti Patel’s plans to use the navy to tackle the growing number of migrants crossing the Channel from northern France would be unlawful and dangerous, lawyers have warned.
So basically par for the course for Johnson's government.
Old 7th August 2020, 11:04 AM   #482
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

What can the navy do?
If a boat won't turn back are they going to sink them?
If a boat is in trouble are they going to refuse to rescue the occupants?

It's stupid, all they can do is take them aboard or let them carry on.
they migrants will still end up in the UK.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2020, 11:25 AM   #483
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
News this morning that the Channel is full of little boats packed with migrants. The French are doing nothing to stop them. We need to raise this in the EU parliament asap. What????
I somehow pictured that as little boats full of migrants FROM the UK. But France probably would have stopped that.
Old 7th August 2020, 11:55 AM   #484
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

So Who gets to decide which areas of the UK will be designated 'growth areas'? - where developers can throw up whatever monstrosity they like without a planning application.

Betcha they don't choose the Tory shires or Westminster.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2020, 01:44 AM   #485
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
News this morning that the Channel is full of little boats packed with migrants. The French are doing nothing to stop them. We need to raise this in the EU parliament asap. What????

Little boats full of people crossing the Channel against all the odds? We should sink them, like we did in 1940.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2020, 02:21 AM   #486
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
See, I pointed this out ages ago. Years ago, even. The French have no reason to care anymore about about immigrants rocking up to UK shores because they are off their shores and the EU shores. Sayonara.

Should France or the EU come to a third countries rescue? Nope. They chose to leave. Not our problem anymore. It's the UK's problem.

I can predict that the Republic will become a route into NI and thence across the Irish sea. Happy to see them across the "open" border and out of my country much like France is. They will be queuing up at Larne. All heading for the "mainland" that the little Englander's are so desperate to defend.
It's long been said that Brexit would actually increase legal immigration. I can believe it would do the same for illegal immigration.
Old 8th August 2020, 12:10 PM   #487
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Most countries take decades before they succumb completely to terminal, nation-destroying corruption.

The Cummings Johnson regime has achieved that glorious ideal in little over six months.
Old 8th August 2020, 04:10 PM   #488
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

100k people legally immigrated to the UK last year? 100 odd people in dingy will not make much of a difference.
Old Yesterday, 02:23 AM   #489
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
100k people legally immigrated to the UK last year? 100 odd people in dingy will not make much of a difference.
They might to Farage's income.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:26 AM   #490
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently the Home Secretary, Priti Patel, has appointed former National Crime Agency executive Dan O'Mahoney as the UK's 'Clandestine Channel Threat Commander'. He will work to make the Channel route 'unviable' for small boat crossings.

Short of sinking boats or covering the beaches with barbed wire and minefields I don't see how he can do it.
Old Yesterday, 03:30 AM   #491
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Taking back control of our borders seems to involve pleading with France to take control of our borders!
Old Yesterday, 03:36 AM   #492
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Translation: the British government have completely ****** up their Covid response causing thousands of unnecessary deaths, Brexit is going to make us all a lot poorer, government corruption and Russian influence in government is becoming so blatant we can all see it so, look at these boats!
Old Yesterday, 04:07 AM   #493
ZeeGerman
Graduate Poster

Apparently the Home Secretary, Priti Patel, has appointed former National Crime Agency executive Dan O'Mahoney as the UK's 'Clandestine Channel Threat Commander'. He will work to make the Channel route 'unviable' for small boat crossings.

Short of sinking boats or covering the beaches with barbed wire and minefields I don't see how he can do it.
France has a couple of these for sale

Made in Germany, still in good shape...
Old Yesterday, 04:35 AM   #494
catsmate
No longer the 1

Ah, the Dunkirk spirit is needed again. Arm all suitable small boats in the south and pay a bounty for sinkings.
Simples.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:23 AM   #495
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

One of the benefits of being a Tory MP is that whatever deranged nonsense passes through your brain also happens to be what 'the British people' think.
Old Yesterday, 06:18 AM   #496
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Most countries take decades before they succumb completely to terminal, nation-destroying corruption.

The Cummings Johnson regime has achieved that glorious ideal in little over six months.
It's business as usual for the Tories, and I'm being serious, just look back and they are always up to their necks in what I term "establishment" corruption and crime.
Old Yesterday, 07:17 AM   #497
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ZeeGerman View Post

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...fd7f83adfd.jpg

We already have some on the Channel islands.
Old Yesterday, 07:22 AM   #498
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by ZeeGerman View Post

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...fd7f83adfd.jpg

Will the government realise they’re on the wrong side of the Channel before or after they buy them?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM   #499
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Will the government realise they’re on the wrong side of the Channel before or after they buy them?
Same side of the channel as many Tory MPs' holiday homes
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM   #500
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Hhhhmmm, the way they're planning to make the Channel route 'unviable' for business probably won't work for dinghies, so nope, no idea.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics