ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 22nd February 2020, 12:42 PM   #1721
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Wasn't the internet purposefully designed to be resistant to such attacks?
I think the answer to that question is "not really". The Internet as she was designed was a co-operative undertaking. It was built with redundancy but not with the thought that anyone would deliberately attempt to cause its failure.
Old 23rd February 2020, 05:55 PM   #1722
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Faydra View Post
DR test this past week.

I told people in meetings, don't do x.
I sent emails, don't do x.
I sent a video on how to do y instead to everyone.
X will not work people, please don't do it.

How many people do you think tried to do x?

All of them.

THEN, I see a problem and in the slack channel I say "Hey @user, I see you are trying to do this, it won't work, this is what you need to do to solve it". The very next message in the channel was that user saying "OMG, this isn't working what do I do????".

I love being ignored.
I had a boss once who did that. She asked for my advice on the best way to do something.

We should be doing X.
Okay, so should we do Y?
No, we should not do Y. We should do X.
Okay, so we're going to do Y.
No, don't do Y. Do X.
We're doing Y.

This is the same boss who reported me for bullying. At the same time, three people, including me, reported her for the same thing. In the end, I wasn't the one who lost their job. One of the best days of my life was when I got the instruction to can her network access.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 04:01 AM   #1723
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

You don't seem to understand how some meetings work, grasshopper. The dominant types are:

1. Denial of responsibility. If we all talked about it for three hours, then the boss isn't to blame. even if wanting to do Y is the dumbest thing since vertical ejector seats for helicopters. These tend to continue until everyone has lost all will to live, much less to object, so it ends up counting as "we agreed to do Y."

2. Substitute for social life. Some may even delude themselves as it serving some team building purpose. Which actually they don't, unless making the team want to commit xuicide together counts as such. Easiest recognized by that unmistakable feeling of, "wait, how did we get from whether to do Y to 'funny' anecdotes from the boss's vacation?" At any rate, discussing Y was just the pretext, so nothing really gets decided there about it.

3. Marking territory. The kind where a new boss (or worse, new controller) comes in, and suddenly you're migrating everything from AutoCAD to MS Paint, because he said so. (Or to save costs.) Now some of these may turn adversarial, some may be all friendly and disguised as asking for everyone's opinion, but the point is that if the boss wants Y, then Y it is, and you better take notice that that's how it works.

And a few other flavours, like throwing a pinch of nepotism in. Like when it's actually a requirement to have a gigabyte of graphics on a web site, and suspiciously the boss already has a company in mind to do them. And suspiciously it's his cousin's company.

Last edited by HansMustermann; 24th February 2020 at 04:04 AM.
HansMustermann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 01:58 PM   #1724
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Dear Users,

I need an actual name for a trouble ticket, not a nickname.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 03:48 PM   #1725
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

* arthwollipot sings

Everything is broken!
Everyone is screwed when the servers are down.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 04:58 PM   #1726
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

* arthwollipot;13000345 sings

Everything is broken!
<robot voice>

Oooooh. My. Goodness.

That is my favourite song too!

</robot voice>
Old 25th February 2020, 12:50 AM   #1727
erlando
Graduate Poster

* arthwollipot;13000345 sings

Everything is broken!
This bug's gonna get stuck on your list this bug's gonna get stuck on your list this bug's gonna get stuck on your list yeeeaaAAAyeeeAAH.
Old 25th February 2020, 02:53 AM   #1728
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Dear Users,

I need an actual name for a trouble ticket, not a nickname.
Some good description would be nice too. One ticket I got as part time third level support was literally "X doesn't work." Where X was a function of the system. Literally that was all the description. No user and data to reproduce it, no error message, not even the vaguest hint of how or when it doesn't work.

My answer was, "the last time someone got told something this brief and uninformative, it was from a king of Sparta."

Last edited by HansMustermann; 25th February 2020 at 02:55 AM.
HansMustermann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2020, 06:17 AM   #1729
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Oh I gave up long, long ago on getting any information beyond"My computer doesn't work" or "Can you come help me ASAP?" in trouble tickets. The entire concept that giving me usable information up front will speed up the process is completely lost on my "Oh a poor widdle old woman and I'm not a computer person" userbase.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2020, 05:35 PM   #1730
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I have to search the thread to ensure that I'd already posted the link to the Chronicles of George.

I did.

- Randall Munroe
Old 25th February 2020, 07:25 PM   #1731
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

My promotion has been signed. I will be receiving a letter of offer from Recruitment shortly.

- Randall Munroe
Old 25th February 2020, 11:11 PM   #1732
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Oh I gave up long, long ago on getting any information beyond"My computer doesn't work" or "Can you come help me ASAP?" in trouble tickets. The entire concept that giving me usable information up front will speed up the process is completely lost on my "Oh a poor widdle old woman and I'm not a computer person" userbase.
Yes, well, the poor widdle non-computer person who wrote the "X doesn't work" ticket was one of our first level support guys
Old 26th February 2020, 12:53 AM   #1733
erlando
Graduate Poster

My promotion has been signed. I will be receiving a letter of offer from Recruitment shortly.

https://media2.giphy.com/media/10UtqJNULHPfxe/giphy.gif
That is excellent news. Congratulations!
Old 26th February 2020, 03:15 AM   #1734
Wudang
BOFH

Excellent!

Old 26th February 2020, 06:41 AM   #1735
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I just spent an hour carefully crafting tactful emails to panicking directors who completely misinterpreted technical details. A vendor had sent us an email to confirm the specifications for delivery of a test file, which is to use the exact same method, format, and path as the current production files but name the test file something different. These high up directors, however, have no idea how the current stuff works so the vendor's reiteration of the current process struck them as something new and exotic and difficult (it's just a scheduled task to FTP a file from our side to the vendor's side!) and they've been blowing up my email since last night about it.

I also had to tactfully explain to my boss that no, sending them the data on Excel won't suffice, because it's past the stage of human eyeballs looking at data, it's time for the machines to process it. Having Cindy glance at some text fields and say "that looks good" is not the same thing as having thousands of lines of stored procedures tear through raw data.
Old 26th February 2020, 09:39 AM   #1736
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I just spent an hour carefully crafting tactful emails to panicking directors who completely misinterpreted technical details ....
Who are you, and what have you done with our TragicMonkey?

The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 09:41 AM   #1737
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Who are you, and what have you done with our TragicMonkey?

I'm completely different at work.
Old 26th February 2020, 03:24 PM   #1738
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Haha. I wear a tie at work anyway. Not because I have to, but because I like to remind myself that I'm a professional and I take my job seriously, and really I just like wearing a tie. No-one else wears one. I'm the guy with a tie.

- Randall Munroe
Old 26th February 2020, 03:59 PM   #1739
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Haha. I wear a tie at work anyway. Not because I have to, but because I like to remind myself that I'm a professional and I take my job seriously, and really I just like wearing a tie. No-one else wears one. I'm the guy with a tie.
Does your sickness know no limits?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2020, 04:03 PM   #1740
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Does your sickness know no limits?
Of course. I wear a straight necktie, not a bow tie.

- Randall Munroe
Old Yesterday, 01:03 AM   #1741
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

erm... Dude, ties are a badge of competence.

i.e. if you need to wear one, you ain't.

Old Yesterday, 06:23 AM   #1742
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Ties are an open invitation to erotic strangulation!

They're also germ repositories because they tend to not be cleaned. Think of all the microscopic sprays of saliva and mucus a tie catches, day after day, and never cleaned...

On second thoughts, I must decline the invitation to erotically strangle you.
Old Yesterday, 11:20 AM   #1743
Donal
Illuminator

I wear a tie every Tuesday. Mainly for the alliteration. At my previous job, I'd just randomly walk in with one so people couldn't tell when I was interviewing.
Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM   #1744
Faydra
sinning sybarite

Congratulations, Arthwollipot! Great news!
Faydra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM   #1745
Faydra
sinning sybarite

The passive-aggressive award for the month goes to this user.

Quote:
"Looks like our teams folks missed reading your email and I believe no body responded to your request to provide you a list of active jobs or a confirmation to proceed without them. "

- sure we ignored you but we didn't tell you you COULD either.

and the writer of this email was on the original 3 emails I sent notifiying I was gonna do the stuff.

This has amused me greatly, been snickering over it all day.
Faydra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM   #1746
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
erm... Dude, ties are a badge of competence.

i.e. if you need to wear one, you ain't.

No, they're just a form of personal adornment and a way to express individuality. Anyone who is attributing any kind of symbolism to a tie is just making stuff up. We're long past the time where a tie was part of a uniform and no-one in the business world will take you seriously without one, except at upper management levels, and I'm well below that. I wear a tie because I like to wear a tie. I also wear brightly coloured shirts, and that's not symbolic of anything.

- Randall Munroe
Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM   #1747
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I love the way people just don't fill out forms properly.

We have a Terms and Conditions form that all new starters have to sign. There's a space at the top for the user ID, and a checkbox at the bottom for the witness to check saying that they've seen photo ID. When we do the form in the smartcard office we make sure both of these are filled out correctly. People who send the forms in independently or from interstate never do. It's not that they only occasionally don't, it's that they absolutely never do. I've never seen a form come in from interstate with these bits filled out properly.

The other thing about the T&C is how people send them in before the IT account has actually been created. We need to save the form against their account so it can be found if needed later. If we save it against someone else's ID, it effectively goes into a black hole.

Oh and yes. In the time I worked in the smartcard office, I was rather surprised about how many people actually read it. More than I expected.

- Randall Munroe
Old Yesterday, 08:24 PM   #1748
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

When typing the word "account", it's very important to not miss the o.

- Randall Munroe
Old Today, 09:07 AM   #1749
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

I love the way people just don't fill out forms properly.

We have a Terms and Conditions form that all new starters have to sign. There's a space at the top for the user ID, and a checkbox at the bottom for the witness to check saying that they've seen photo ID. When we do the form in the smartcard office we make sure both of these are filled out correctly. People who send the forms in independently or from interstate never do. It's not that they only occasionally don't, it's that they absolutely never do. I've never seen a form come in from interstate with these bits filled out properly.
Sounds like the form needs to be redesigned. I doubt they're doing it willfully.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:45 AM   #1750
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Sounds like the form needs to be redesigned. I doubt they're doing it willfully.

Yeah, have to agree here. Thereís something wrong in the form or the instructions.

Heck, if 10% of my users are doing it wrong, Iíve messed something up and will try to add clarity where I can.

If the in-house ones get it right, can you get whoever helps there to write up instructions to include with the form for the rest? Maybe make the instructions the first page you have to click to before hitting the form? Something needs improvement there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Today, 12:37 PM   #1751
Wudang
BOFH

Old Today, 03:00 PM   #1752
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Nicking that

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet