ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags smart phones

Old 25th January 2020, 08:25 AM   #41
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Ok, so I was able to confirm that two of the three folding phones we are discussing are able to be oriented from portrait to landscape display. It works just like a conventional smartphone. These are...

Motorola Razr (it's coming in February and the specs are known).
Samsung Galaxy Fold (this is the currently available one that opens like a book).

Unknown: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip (this is coming but the specs aren't yet fully known). I have to believe that this will also have display orientation.

Manufacturer website showing Motorola Razr including photo and video showing landscape display. https://www.motorola.com/us/products/razr

Same for Samsung Galaxy Fold. https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/galaxy-fold

Samsung Galaxy Z Flip does not yet have a webpage.
Old 25th January 2020, 09:38 AM   #42
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I use maybe 10% of the capability of my current phone (Galaxy S9+)* and it fits fine in my front pocket. I just don't get the need for anything more.

* I had to look at the back to see what model it is.
Old 27th January 2020, 01:37 PM   #43
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I use maybe 10% of the capability of my current phone (Galaxy S9+)* and it fits fine in my front pocket. I just don't get the need for anything more.

* I had to look at the back to see what model it is.
If it helps at all, the phone being discussed will do less for a much larger price tag.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 01:55 PM   #44
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Huawei's Mate X seems to have the smartest folding mechanism so far, with the display on the outside:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

That's over 2000 bucks, though.
Old 27th January 2020, 02:44 PM   #45
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Huawei's Mate X seems to have the smartest folding mechanism so far, with the display on the outside:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Wow, that's cool. But my immediate thoughts are that it would be really easy to scratch and cases/screen protectors would seem to be impractical.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 03:41 PM   #46
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post

I AGREE

I liked the Xiamio idea.
Old 28th January 2020, 01:52 AM   #47
Wudang
BOFH

I'm running a mental inventory of the pockets of various clothes and struggling to see the advantage of these phones. I'm very tired and possibly suffering from failure of the imagination (this happens).
Old 28th January 2020, 07:12 AM   #48
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
I'm running a mental inventory of the pockets of various clothes and struggling to see the advantage of these phones. I'm very tired and possibly suffering from failure of the imagination (this happens).
If I'm understanding it correctly it's pretty much just a "Hey, that's pretty neat" type of thing. I don't think there's anything the phones do that they do better than any other phone on the market, other than fold neatly.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 10:14 AM   #49
Apathia
Philosopher

The two reasons i have a Motorola are klutz resistant screen and long battery life. I'll not be trading it in for this, even though i think a flip smart phone would be cool.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 11:42 AM   #50
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Don't worry. It will be like those iPad things, they'll never take off.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
Old 29th January 2020, 11:43 AM   #51
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
If I'm understanding it correctly it's pretty much just a "Hey, that's pretty neat" type of thing. I don't think there's anything the phones do that they do better than any other phone on the market, other than fold neatly.
My god, its NEW! What more is there to say?

Old 29th January 2020, 11:47 AM   #52
Belz...
Fiend God

Perhaps you knew something I didn't.
Not in this case, no. My point was simply that the phone folded and thus became less large in one dimension to the detriment of another, which is usually how you fold paper to put it in your pocket, for instance. Useful.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 11:56 AM   #53
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
My god, its NEW! What more is there to say?

The PS5 hasn't even been released yet and I have a ton to say about that, just not around here.

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Not in this case, no. My point was simply that the phone folded and thus became less large in one dimension to the detriment of another, which is usually how you fold paper to put it in your pocket, for instance. Useful.
'k

Old 29th January 2020, 12:03 PM   #54
Belz...
Fiend God

'k
Hoo boy.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 12:07 PM   #55
plague311
Great minds think...

Hoo boy.

I just had nothing more to add but didn't want it to look like I was ignoring the message. I understood what you were saying. It's not particularly useful to me, as my phone fits quite perfectly in my pocket, but it looks like it will be to others.

Old 29th January 2020, 12:09 PM   #56
Belz...
Fiend God

I just had nothing more to add but didn't want it to look like I was ignoring the message. I understood what you were saying. It's not particularly useful to me, as my phone fits quite perfectly in my pocket, but it looks like it will be to others.
Dude, I just made a TBD reference!

You know how he loved his "'k"s.

Old 29th January 2020, 12:30 PM   #57
plague311
Great minds think...

Dude, I just made a TBD reference!

You know how he loved his "'k"s.
If I'm being honest I've tried to block out most of my interactions with him LoL.

I did find an extremely lengthy review from cnet on the phone. It's updated as of a few days ago (1/25) and the author gave some more insight after having it for a bit.

Old 9th February 2020, 06:22 PM   #58
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

That is indeed the rumour, so as I said it is still a rumour and has not been announced.
I just saw a TV commercial for the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip during the Oscars. It said unpacked on February 11th.
Old 10th February 2020, 05:29 AM   #59
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I just saw a TV commercial for the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip during the Oscars. It said unpacked on February 11th.
Are you aware of how we mark time?
Old 10th February 2020, 07:15 AM   #60
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Are you aware of how we mark time?
Do you mean humans or Brits?
Old 10th February 2020, 08:34 AM   #61
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Here is the commercial for the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip shown during the Oscars...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxbHs1QBs_4
Old 10th February 2020, 12:32 PM   #62
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Here is the commercial for the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip shown during the Oscars...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxbHs1QBs_4
So, the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip drops on Feb. 11th?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2020, 12:40 PM   #63
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
So, the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip drops on Feb. 11th?
Tomorrow, Samsung will show it and describe it and announce when it can be bought. I don't know if that is what you mean by "drops".
Old 10th February 2020, 03:37 PM   #64
plague311
Great minds think...

Tomorrow, Samsung will show it and describe it and announce when it can be bought. I don't know if that is what you mean by "drops".
"Drops" generally means "to buy" where I'm from. YMMV

Old 10th February 2020, 06:16 PM   #65
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Well I guess that Samsung could say that it is immediately available but that's not typical.
Old 11th February 2020, 12:50 PM   #66
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Samsung says that the Galaxy Z Flip will be available in limited quantities in Mirror Purple and Black starting in the U.S. and Korea on February 14, 2020, followed by Mirror Gold in select countries. Pricing starts at $1,380.
Old 11th February 2020, 04:04 PM   #67
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

February 11th will apparently be the first day the Galaxy Buds+ will be available. I've loved the old Galaxy Buds (I find them comfortable enough to sleep with) so I'm definitely on board for doubling battery life and improving the sound.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 11:34 PM   #68
Elagabalus
Philosopher

OMG!! There's a crease!! It's not perfect!!!!

I AGREE
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet