ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags sylvia browne

Old 16th June 2009, 11:39 AM   #1
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Sylvia Browne useless again: Janice Powers

The crime in 1996:

Quote:
Carnegie Woman Found Fatally Shot
Tulsa World - June 24, 1996

CARNEGIE (AP) -- A 49-year-old Carnegie woman was found dead of apparent gunshot wounds in her front yard Sunday.

Kym Koch, spokeswoman for the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation, said Janice Powers was discovered lying face-down in the front lawn of her residence outside of Carnegie.

Koch said Powers' mother found her.
Full article: Source

Enter Browne two years later:

Quote:
Psychic Asked to Help Solve Woman's Murder
The Daily Oklahoman - Friday, February 27, 1998
Author: Lillie-Beth Brinkman, Lawton Bureau

CARNEGIE - For almost two years, members of Janice Powers' family have wondered who shot her to death outside her Carnegie home and why.

This week, they asked a psychic for some answers.

The Caddo County Sheriff's Department is looking into clues that California psychic Sylvia Browne gave them Tuesday in a telephone interview.
"Because the family hired her and we had come to a dead end on our investigation, I told (them) we'd check on these leads," he said.

Powers' son, Andy Lodes, said he and his two sisters first saw Browne on two different television shows, where she talked about helping solve crimes using what she said were her psychic abilities.

It took 11 months for the family to schedule an interview because she was so busy, Lodes said. All Browne asked for preparation was a newspaper clipping about Powers' death.
He said Browne waived her $400 fee after talking to Powers' family and the sheriff's department.

Powers had been staying at her grandmother's house in Carnegie, managing several businesses, a farm and ranch for her. In June 1996, Powers' mother found lying in the front yard. She had been shot several times.

Browne gave the sheriff's deputies some information they already knew and suggested some details they didn't know about the killing, Ramming said. She also described a person who may have witnessed Powers' death, unseen by the killer, and named the kind of car she thought the witness was driving.

Ramming said his office is looking for a person and a car to match the descriptions. He wouldn't give many details about the information Browne gave.

Three years later:

Quote:
Ex-commissioner's gun count dropped
The Daily Oklahoman - Thursday, July 26, 2001
Author: Ed Godfrey, Staff Writer

Federal prosecutors are dismissing an indictment against a former Caddo County commissioner and convicted felon because his attorney wrongly advised him that he could legally own a shotgun.

Alan Gene Dyer, 63, was convicted two decades ago in the statewide county commissioner investigation and indicted in May by a federal grand jury for illegally possessing a shotgun. Under federal law, it is illegal for a convicted felon to possess a gun.
Burns' affidavit states that Dyer wanted a shotgun and was "apprehensive of his personal safety" after becoming the prime suspect in a murder investigation. Dyer was indicted by a multicounty grand jury last year in the 1996 shooting death of his longtime girlfriend, Janice Powers.

Powers was found dead in June 1996 in the driveway of her grandmother's rural Carnegie home with multiple gunshot wounds from her small-caliber handgun. Dyer was charged with first-degree murder, and perjury for lying to the grand jury investigating the slaying.

District Attorney Gene Christian proceeded with the perjury case. Dyer was found guilty by a Caddo County jury in January. He was sentenced to three years in prison.

That, I believe, is 110 cases Sylvia Browne was either wrong or provided no clear help for.
Questioninggeller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2009, 11:54 AM   #2
Audible Click
The gap in the plot

Good job. It's always interesting when you post. Thank you for your time and effort in further exposing the fraud named Sylvia Browne.
Audible Click is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2009, 11:56 AM   #3
bickerer
Critical Thinker

I detest Sylvia as much as the next person, but I'm confused as to how this particular case would be deemed a "miss". and I can't access the source links Newsbankinfo without a password.
Reading about her pathetic track record, however, makes me giddy with joy, so don't mitake me for a fan, or take any offence, I'm just looking for clarification.
Thanks
bickerer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2009, 11:59 AM   #4
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Originally Posted by bickerer View Post
I detest Sylvia as much as the next person, but I'm confused as to how this particular case would be deemed a "miss". and I can't access the source links Newsbankinfo without a password.
Reading about her pathetic track record, however, makes me giddy with joy, so don't mitake me for a fan, or take any offence, I'm just looking for clarification.
Thanks
I didn't say it was a miss. I said it was "useless". Browne gave "answers," which had as far as we know had no impact on the case. On the other hand, Browne got publicity.

Last edited by Questioninggeller; 16th June 2009 at 12:00 PM.
Questioninggeller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2009, 12:37 PM   #5
EeneyMinnieMoe
Philosopher

Great job, QG! Some really fine work.

It's wrong but I'm almost happy to discover that a victim has been found dead or ruled to have been murdered when it proves Sylvia Browne incorrect.

And to think that all of those 110 cases are just the ones we have been able to find...how many times has she lied to a victim's family and collected money from them and it wasn't reported in the media? Or we only ended up with partial information and an incomplete case when we researched a murder? Or we weren't able to find out anything at all?

StopJohnofGod.blogspot.com
EeneyMinnieMoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal