ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th August 2016, 06:54 AM   #1001
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Looked up the latest quote. $20.13. Better than this time last year by around 5 bucks I guess but still only half the price it was when the thread was started.
Old 20th March 2018, 01:16 AM   #1002
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Silver at $16 and change.....
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2018, 03:27 AM   #1003
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Silver at $16 and change.....
Yep!

I still own some, and check prices monthly. It goes up; it goes down.

I dont see metals as an investment, per s. More like a hedge or insurance.

Back to the OP...

It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.

― Yogi Berra
Old 20th March 2018, 04:29 AM   #1004
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I miss Francesca.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2018, 08:37 AM   #1005
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
I miss the OP. I'd like to know who is to blame for all this manipulation in shiny thing prices.
Old 19th September 2018, 12:21 AM   #1006
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

$14.24 is the latest.

https://www.bloomberg.com/quote/SI1:COM
Old 19th September 2018, 04:06 AM   #1007
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Just the other day I heard yet another radio ad hawking the stratospheric rise in the price of silver that is right around the corner.

I chuckled.
Old 23rd September 2018, 08:31 AM   #1008
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
$14.24 is the latest.

Not exactly what was predicted April 8, 2011:

Originally Posted by michaelsuede View Post
I think it is entirely plausible that we could see silver around a thousand in fairly short order.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2020, 03:38 AM   #1009
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Just the other day I heard yet another radio ad hawking the stratospheric rise in the price of silver that is right around the corner.

I chuckled.
Yes, manipulation of the silver and gold markets by (((TPTB))) must be extraordinary given that all of these well founded predictions from silver and gold bugs don't seem to come to pass.

Currently silver is less than half the price it was when this thread was started.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 02:10 AM   #1010
Tippit
Master Poster

Yes, manipulation of the silver and gold markets by (((TPTB))) must be extraordinary given that all of these well founded predictions from silver and gold bugs don't seem to come to pass.

Currently silver is less than half the price it was when this thread was started.
It's called naked short selling, and it is extraordinary, on a massive scale. It works because metals "investors" often exchange funds for ETF shares, or depository receipts in lieu of actual metals. No actual metal changes hand, so demand never has to be met with actual supply, only a bookkeeping entry. The central banks also have unlimited fiat money to buy actual physical metals once they've suppressed the paper markets. On top of all this, they use the futures markets to further suppress the price when necessary, as well as other tactics like bid spoofing, and raising margin requirements as they see fit to prohibit taking out long positions.

Governments around the world have a vested interest in suppressing precious metals prices, to make their fiat currencies appear less bad, and to corral investors into paper assets like stocks and bonds, the supply of which they also control.

This price suppression scheme will probably continue for as long as the US military can continue to enforce the petrodollar, and force dollar acceptance worldwide.
Old 5th February 2020, 06:59 AM   #1011
8enotto
Graduate Poster

I have owned small quantities of the actual metals and still do. Prices can do whatever for all the time I never need to sell.

If that crisis comes where I do need to sell it has both metal weight and jewelry value, so depending which is better I can stay afloat.
Paper metals value is fairly near a scam. They diluted the entire reason to have them.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 07:24 AM   #1012
Armitage72
Illuminator

We obviously need a return to the good old days of people like Nelson Bunker Hunt.

EDIT: And I see he and his family were mentioned in this thread several years ago.

Last edited by Armitage72; 5th February 2020 at 07:26 AM.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 07:57 AM   #1013
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Tippit View Post
It's called naked short selling, and it is extraordinary, on a massive scale. It works because metals "investors" often exchange funds for ETF shares, or depository receipts in lieu of actual metals. No actual metal changes hand, so demand never has to be met with actual supply, only a bookkeeping entry. The central banks also have unlimited fiat money to buy actual physical metals once they've suppressed the paper markets. On top of all this, they use the futures markets to further suppress the price when necessary, as well as other tactics like bid spoofing, and raising margin requirements as they see fit to prohibit taking out long positions.

Governments around the world have a vested interest in suppressing precious metals prices, to make their fiat currencies appear less bad, and to corral investors into paper assets like stocks and bonds, the supply of which they also control.

This price suppression scheme will probably continue for as long as the US military can continue to enforce the petrodollar, and force dollar acceptance worldwide.
And that is something that michaelsuede never considered all those years ago when he first started this thread.
Old 5th February 2020, 08:11 AM   #1014
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
I have owned small quantities of the actual metals and still do. Prices can do whatever for all the time I never need to sell.
I know I've mentioned I own some physical gold and silver.

I pretty much just check the price monthly. It's there as a hedge against hyperinflation, so I don't really worry about it in-between.
Old 13th February 2020, 11:46 PM   #1015
Tippit
Master Poster

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
And that is something that michaelsuede never considered all those years ago when he first started this thread.
It can ostensibly happen with bitcoin as well. There are bitcoin futures trading on the CME, and there is a bitcoin ETF (Grayscale Bitcoin Trust). Most of the manipulation tactics above apply. Bitcoin has somewhat of an advantage because you can settle a transaction on the blockchain within about an hour now. No reasonable investor should invest in a bitcoin ETF when they can just buy actual bitcoin, but then, no reasonable investor should keep their bitcoin in an exchange wallet either, but some do. Futures investors invest in bitcoin futures for leverage, but probably not to the extent that the tail wags the dog such as it does in gold and silver markets.
Old 23rd March 2020, 04:40 PM   #1016
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

$13.73 today.
Old 23rd March 2020, 07:10 PM   #1017
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
$13.73 today.
Seems odd to me. Usually in uncertain times precious metals are seen as a refuge. I had hoped my modest stash of gold and silver might gain enough to at least partially offset the huge stock and IRA losses Ive recently suffered. Wrong.
Old 23rd March 2020, 08:23 PM   #1018
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Seems odd to me. Usually in uncertain times precious metals are seen as a refuge. I had hoped my modest stash of gold and silver might gain enough to at least partially offset the huge stock and IRA losses Ive recently suffered. Wrong.
If you don't need cash right now, I would try to hang on to your stocks for at least another year or so. Now is not the time to sell. If you absolutely have to sell something, personally I would sell the precious metals first and hang onto the stocks.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance