ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags "His Dark Materials" , "The Book of Dust" , Philip Pullman

Old 25th October 2019, 04:59 PM   #1
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

The Book of Dust

I was wondering if anyone else has read volumes one and two of Philip Pullman's 'The Book of Dust'?

Starting last summer I reread 'La Belle Sauvage', then I reread the 'His Dark Materials' trilogy in anticipation of 'The Secret Commonwealth', which I finished a couple of weeks ago.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 02:28 PM   #2
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

I have! I have!

Sorry for not responding sooner. I wanted to start a new thread on the His Dark Materials HBO series, and this came up in my search to make sure there wasn't a prior one.

I read ALL of the books, including the supplementary ones. And, I saw the 2007 movie, and I am currently halfway through the HBO series.

So, we can talk about anything you want.

Good stuff, eh?

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!
Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 02:42 PM   #3
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

I have the original HDM novels autographed by Pullman when I saw him at a Humanist conference in Washington D.C., once. They're all very good: In fact I think I like them better than Harry Potter, overall! The first ("Golden Compass" or "Northern Lights") is definitely the best, The Amber Spyglass is second-best; and the middle book, The Subtle Knife, is probably the least good of the three.

Once Upon a Time in the North is a very entertaining read. And, Lyra's Oxford is good, but not quite to the same level as everything else.

Actually, I did NOT read The Collectors e-book, yet. Maybe I should do that. Almost forgot it existed until I started this post.

I thought that the 2007 movie, with Nichole Kidman and Daniel Craig, was actually quite good, for the most part, except for the ending, which was rushed and vital parts were cut off from it. I am a bit miffed about that.

La Belle Sauvage was waay better than I expected it to be, in fact. A good, solid, complete story; that serves as a worthy prequel. When re-reading the original trilogy, it does become a bit weird that the great flood is never mentioned in them. But, I suppose things could be worse. Pullman seems to be waaay better at writing prequels than both George Lucas and J.K. Rowling.

The Secret Commonwealth feels a bit forced, to me. It's still good, and has it's moments. And, we'll see how it ends in the next book. But, I can't help but feel that it's a bunch of misc. ideas tacked onto each other.

I will talk about the HBO series in its own thread, perhaps. But, that will have to come a bit later.

Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 10:46 PM   #4
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

So, now I finished reading The Collectors. And, it's not really that big of a deal. Perhaps there is some hidden importance to it, that I will find out later. But, so far as I can tell, the story barely even needs to be part of the HDM universe, at all.

ETA: Ah Ha! The fan wiki explains it: "Pullman originally wanted to write a classic ghost story. It was Audible's idea to link it with His Dark Materials."
Source: https://hisdarkmaterials.fandom.com/wiki/The_Collectors

Last edited by Wowbagger; 29th January 2020 at 10:53 PM.
Old 31st January 2020, 09:29 PM   #5
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Here is my thread on the TV series: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=341886

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts