ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags smart phones

Reply
Old 22nd January 2020, 11:14 AM   #1
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,640
$1500 Motorola Razr phone is coming next month

The $1500 Motorola Razr will hit stores in North America on February 6

Originally Posted by CNN Business
The highly anticipated Razr reboot has a new release date in North America: February 6. Preorders for the $1500 foldable Razr smartphone will begin on January 26. It will be available on Motorola's website and through Verizon, which is the exclusive provider.

The Razr's reboot was announced last November and immediately garnered excitement despite its lackluster features, including a small battery and plastic screen, all for twice the cost of an iPhone 11. If that $1,500 price tag gives you sticker shock, Verizon is offering a payment plan of $62.49 a month for 24 months, according to a release. That's ... still more than twice the monthly cost of an iPhone 11.

The power of nostalgia and the unique look has overpowered potential customers' ability to restrain themselves: Motorola last month delayed the initial launch date, scheduled for January 9, because of higher-than-expected demand and limited supply of the iconic phone. The new Razr turned heads when it launched in 2004 and became the bestselling phone of all time in the United States before the iPhone stole that title several years later...
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/22/tech/...ate/index.html

Don't call it a flip-phone. Call it foldable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg razr.jpg (42.9 KB, 23 views)
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2020, 11:24 AM   #2
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 8,097
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
The $1500 Motorola Razr will hit stores in North America on February 6


https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/22/tech/...ate/index.html

Don't call it a flip-phone. Call it foldable.
What a stupid device at a ridiculous price tag.
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2020, 06:32 PM   #3
Elagabalus
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,530
I, for one, would like to see the return of the Star Trek TOS communicator ...eh ... I mean flip phone. But not at that price.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2020, 09:47 PM   #4
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 90,447
According to many rumours Samsung is also going to be launching a flip smartphone called the z.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2020, 10:07 PM   #5
Norman Alexander
Philosopher
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,901
Quote:
The power of nostalgia and the unique look...
Back to the future?
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2020, 10:18 PM   #6
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,640
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
According to many rumours Samsung is also going to be launching a flip smartphone called the z.
That's the Galaxy Z Flip which will be selling for about $1,550 in Europe and probably the same in America. Its existence is fact, not rumor.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2020, 11:16 PM   #7
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 90,447
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
That's the Galaxy Z Flip which will be selling for about $1,550 in Europe and probably the same in America. Its existence is fact, not rumor.
It has not yet been announced.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 12:19 AM   #8
Hungry81
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,352
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
What a stupid device at a ridiculous price tag.
Didn't stop people from buying the first iphone.
Hungry81 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 06:39 AM   #9
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 23,785
Here's the thing.

Sure paying which is mid-range gaming laptop price for a phone does seem silly, and yes for the record this particular device does strike me as over priced.

But of the devices I own my phone is the device I use the most by a massive margin.

I game on my Lenovo Legion laptop for an hour or two on the average day. My Xbox One gets a few hours of gaming a week.

My phone hasn't been more then an arm's length away from since I've owned it. It plays Podcasts during my commute, answers e-mails at work, plays games on my lunch break, watch Youtube videos, is practically the only device I listen to music on, etc, etc...

So from that POV your phone being the device you invest the most money in doesn't sound that crazy. If I had to break down my devices via some "Money spend versus time used" chart my phone would be a huge breakout winner by a massively safe margin.

Now on the other hand I have a budget, mid-range Motorolo Moto and it does everything I ask of it for only a couple of hundred bucks and I can't really understand what people are asking of their phones that require this much hardware.
__________________
- "Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset
- "Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
- "To the best of my knowledge the only thing philosophy has ever proven is that Descartes could think." - SMBC
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 07:23 AM   #10
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 8,097
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Here's the thing.

Sure paying which is mid-range gaming laptop price for a phone does seem silly, and yes for the record this particular device does strike me as over priced.

But of the devices I own my phone is the device I use the most by a massive margin.

I game on my Lenovo Legion laptop for an hour or two on the average day. My Xbox One gets a few hours of gaming a week.

My phone hasn't been more then an arm's length away from since I've owned it. It plays Podcasts during my commute, answers e-mails at work, plays games on my lunch break, watch Youtube videos, is practically the only device I listen to music on, etc, etc...

So from that POV your phone being the device you invest the most money in doesn't sound that crazy. If I had to break down my devices via some "Money spend versus time used" chart my phone would be a huge breakout winner by a massively safe margin.

Now on the other hand I have a budget, mid-range Motorolo Moto and it does everything I ask of it for only a couple of hundred bucks and I can't really understand what people are asking of their phones that require this much hardware.
Quote:
...its lackluster features, including a small battery and plastic screen, all for twice the cost of an iPhone 11
Lesser quality phone for high quality prices. The things you do when you interact with your phone would be a worse experience. If you interact with it as much as you say you do, which is about the same as me, that interaction could get frustrating. Especially if you can't interact with it at all since it's dead.
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 08:28 AM   #11
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 19,399
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Lesser quality phone for high quality prices. The things you do when you interact with your phone would be a worse experience. If you interact with it as much as you say you do, which is about the same as me, that interaction could get frustrating. Especially if you can't interact with it at all since it's dead.
Aren't they all using the same OS and a touchscreen?
__________________
Up the River!

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 08:34 AM   #12
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,640
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
It has not yet been announced.
It will be announced and shown on February 11th.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zflip.jpg (45.8 KB, 8 views)
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.

Last edited by William Parcher; 23rd January 2020 at 08:36 AM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 08:37 AM   #13
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 42,813
Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Aren't they all using the same OS and a touchscreen?
Processor power. Storage space. Battery life and usage. Signal strength. Vendor cruft. Size. Weight. Water resistance. Screen durability. Case durability. Charging options. Etc.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 08:39 AM   #14
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 42,813
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Here's the thing.

Sure paying which is mid-range gaming laptop price for a phone does seem silly, and yes for the record this particular device does strike me as over priced.

But of the devices I own my phone is the device I use the most by a massive margin.

I game on my Lenovo Legion laptop for an hour or two on the average day. My Xbox One gets a few hours of gaming a week.

My phone hasn't been more then an arm's length away from since I've owned it. It plays Podcasts during my commute, answers e-mails at work, plays games on my lunch break, watch Youtube videos, is practically the only device I listen to music on, etc, etc...

So from that POV your phone being the device you invest the most money in doesn't sound that crazy. If I had to break down my devices via some "Money spend versus time used" chart my phone would be a huge breakout winner by a massively safe margin.

Now on the other hand I have a budget, mid-range Motorolo Moto and it does everything I ask of it for only a couple of hundred bucks and I can't really understand what people are asking of their phones that require this much hardware.
That's a really interesting way of looking at it.

I hadn't really thought of it like that, but it makes a lot of sense. Thanks! You've given me a lot of food for thought, and a new outlook on consumer electronics.

This is especially helpful, since I'm considering a new phone and was having trouble figuring out to usefully frame the price/feature question.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 08:47 AM   #15
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 8,097
Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Aren't they all using the same OS and a touchscreen?
Not according to the article. The OS would be the same, yes, but plastic screens have a tendency to scratch a bit easier. The scratches can cause the screen to react differently when using it. It also specifically mentions it uses a smaller battery. If you're a heavy user then you're going to run out of battery, as simple as that. You're paying extra for a phone that folds. If that's important to you then this is the phone for you. I just quoted from the article.
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 08:58 AM   #16
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 23,785
Foldable devices will be a thing sooner or later, but I don't think they are there yet and the Razor formfactor is too much of a retro-affect to actually be anything more then a curiosity.
__________________
- "Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset
- "Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
- "To the best of my knowledge the only thing philosophy has ever proven is that Descartes could think." - SMBC
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 09:02 AM   #17
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 88,913
The Razor fornicator?
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 09:17 AM   #18
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 8,097
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Foldable devices will be a thing sooner or later, but I don't think they are there yet and the Razor formfactor is too much of a retro-affect to actually be anything more then a curiosity.
Out of curiosity, why do you say that? I fail to see any inherit value of having a phone that folds in half. To me, from a tech angle, it's just another failure point.
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 09:26 AM   #19
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 23,785
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Out of curiosity, why do you say that? I fail to see any inherit value of having a phone that folds in half. To me, from a tech angle, it's just another failure point.
The fact that it's the only way to make devices any smaller while still retaining usability.

Phones were getting stupid small until people realized it was sacrificing usability (insert the "You can see the moment when people learned they could watch porn on their phones" joke here) so they started to inch back up to the "Phablet" style large screen phones which are the norm now.
__________________
- "Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset
- "Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
- "To the best of my knowledge the only thing philosophy has ever proven is that Descartes could think." - SMBC
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 09:28 AM   #20
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 19,399
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Processor power. Storage space. Battery life and usage. Signal strength. Vendor cruft. Size. Weight. Water resistance. Screen durability. Case durability. Charging options. Etc.
Fair points.
__________________
Up the River!

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 09:29 AM   #21
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 19,399
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
That's a really interesting way of looking at it.
This is how approach buying guitars. Which I have enough of already and I spend too much on.

After about a year I work out the pennies per minute and feel alright about it.
__________________
Up the River!

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 09:33 AM   #22
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 19,399
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Out of curiosity, why do you say that? I fail to see any inherit value of having a phone that folds in half. To me, from a tech angle, it's just another failure point.
Fits in your pocket much better.

If you could have a phone sized device with a fold out 12" screen and full extended keyboard, that's something people would want, I think?
__________________
Up the River!

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 10:13 AM   #23
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 8,097
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
The fact that it's the only way to make devices any smaller while still retaining usability.

Phones were getting stupid small until people realized it was sacrificing usability (insert the "You can see the moment when people learned they could watch porn on their phones" joke here) so they started to inch back up to the "Phablet" style large screen phones which are the norm now.
If you're folding the phone you're just making it thicker.

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Fits in your pocket much better.

If you could have a phone sized device with a fold out 12" screen and full extended keyboard, that's something people would want, I think?
In this case you're making it thicker and heavier. I don't know what "people" would want, but I know that's certainly not what I would want. I despised the flip phone era and tried to stay away from them with the nokia style phones.

I guess as long as whoever thinks it's slick likes it, that's important. To me it looks to be a clumsy, easily broken, expensive money pit. That's why the saying "One man's trash is another man's treasure" exists. To me unfolding something like you're describing here would be an extreme pain in the ass to try and make a phone call on.
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 10:35 AM   #24
ahhell
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,169
The way phones have gone recently has been to maximize screen size. Its not that hard to why folding phones will be in demand. Sure, you fold it and its thicker, even as thick as a wallet but it also has a screen twice the size of the other phone that fits in your pocket.

That being said, I can also see the application where you unfold it and its a phone, unfold it again and its a tablet. Folding screens, or some sort of screen that expands is a pretty obvious thing consumers will want.

This also the way technology always goes. The early adopters pay 4 times what folks will being paying a few years down the road.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 10:36 AM   #25
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 88,913
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
If you're folding the phone you're just making it thicker.
Yeah but often it's better than wider.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 11:07 AM   #26
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 8,097
Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
The way phones have gone recently has been to maximize screen size. Its not that hard to why folding phones will be in demand. Sure, you fold it and its thicker, even as thick as a wallet but it also has a screen twice the size of the other phone that fits in your pocket.

That being said, I can also see the application where you unfold it and its a phone, unfold it again and its a tablet. Folding screens, or some sort of screen that expands is a pretty obvious thing consumers will want.

This also the way technology always goes. The early adopters pay 4 times what folks will being paying a few years down the road.
This is still a problem considering that the phone, according to the manufacturer, has a smaller battery. All of that screen needs to be powered by something, and the sweetest, foldiest, hippest phone is a useless piece of crap if it can't be turned on.

I understand what you're saying, but I think if you spoke to most consumers of phones, they want as much battery life as screen size. I would be willing to bet a decent amount of public commuters would also sacrifice screen size for battery life. Maybe I'm wrong. This phone is neat, but the screen isn't larger. It's the same size and plastic with worse battery life.

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Yeah but often it's better than wider.
Wider? What do you mean? All a foldable phone would do is make it shorter and thicker. The width would stay the same.
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 11:25 AM   #27
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 20,098
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
If you're folding the phone you're just making it thicker.
Not if you make the battery smaller.

I use my phone all day every day and rarely go below 70% battery. It is currently plugged into my laptop. In the car it is plugged into my CarPlay equipped stereo. At home it sits on a wireless charger next to my bed.

The limitations of a smaller battery may be something I could deal with if I could get a phone that fit in my jean pockets the way the old razr did.

That being said, one of the other great things about the old razrs was the battery life and the fact that everyone had a razr so you could swap batteries with someone who carried a spare. I left the country for a week without a charging cable and only had to borrow a charging cable once.
__________________
Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 11:58 AM   #28
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 90,447
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Here's the thing.

Sure paying which is mid-range gaming laptop price for a phone does seem silly, and yes for the record this particular device does strike me as over priced.

But of the devices I own my phone is the device I use the most by a massive margin.

I game on my Lenovo Legion laptop for an hour or two on the average day. My Xbox One gets a few hours of gaming a week.

My phone hasn't been more then an arm's length away from since I've owned it. It plays Podcasts during my commute, answers e-mails at work, plays games on my lunch break, watch Youtube videos, is practically the only device I listen to music on, etc, etc...

So from that POV your phone being the device you invest the most money in doesn't sound that crazy. If I had to break down my devices via some "Money spend versus time used" chart my phone would be a huge breakout winner by a massively safe margin.

Now on the other hand I have a budget, mid-range Motorolo Moto and it does everything I ask of it for only a couple of hundred bucks and I can't really understand what people are asking of their phones that require this much hardware.
It's new*

*I have mentioned it before but I would be death of marketing if everyone was like me, all you have to do is slap a "new" ticket on a gadget and I'll want it.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 12:02 PM   #29
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 90,447
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
It will be announced and shown on February 11th.
That is indeed the rumour, so as I said it is still a rumour and has not been announced.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 12:06 PM   #30
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 19,399
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
It's new*

*I have mentioned it before but I would be death of marketing if everyone was like me, all you have to do is slap a "new" ticket on a gadget and I'll want it.
I often think it would be the death of almost everything if everyone were like me.

No commercial TV, no smartphones, I've pretty much removed any adverts from my life. All the fashion houses would be out of business and the only sports ever played would be Cricket or Gridiron.

It's a good job everyone's not like me.
__________________
Up the River!

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 12:09 PM   #31
Elagabalus
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,530
Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
...The limitations of a smaller battery may be something I could deal with if I could get a phone that fit in my jean pockets the way the old razr did.

That being said, one of the other great things about the old razrs was the battery life and the fact that everyone had a razr so you could swap batteries with someone who carried a spare. I left the country for a week without a charging cable and only had to borrow a charging cable once.

And the screen will be protected. You may even be able to sit on it.*



*if you put it in your back pocket.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 12:22 PM   #32
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 8,097
Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Not if you make the battery smaller.

I use my phone all day every day and rarely go below 70% battery. It is currently plugged into my laptop. In the car it is plugged into my CarPlay equipped stereo. At home it sits on a wireless charger next to my bed.

The limitations of a smaller battery may be something I could deal with if I could get a phone that fit in my jean pockets the way the old razr did.

That being said, one of the other great things about the old razrs was the battery life and the fact that everyone had a razr so you could swap batteries with someone who carried a spare. I left the country for a week without a charging cable and only had to borrow a charging cable once.
We have completely and entirely different experiences when it comes to battery.

Hopefully it'll work for people that want it. Obviously I'm not the target market and other people here are and that's awesome. I'll have to keep an eye out and see how the phone does and the reviews.

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
And the screen will be protected. You may even be able to sit on it.*



*if you put it in your back pocket.
I do that now with the Google Pixel XL
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 12:44 PM   #33
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 88,913
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Wider? What do you mean? All a foldable phone would do is make it shorter and thicker. The width would stay the same.
Wow, I didn't expect you to play that particular word game.

The ******* point is that you reduce one or two dimensions at the cost of a third. In many cases it's a plus.

For ****'s sake.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 12:52 PM   #34
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 8,097
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Wow, I didn't expect you to play that particular word game.

The ******* point is that you reduce one or two dimensions at the cost of a third. In many cases it's a plus.

For ****'s sake.
Just making sure I was understanding it correctly. Simmer down, fella. The phone folded from top to bottom but there are many the fold side to side.
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 12:53 PM   #35
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 20,098
Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
And the screen will be protected. You may even be able to sit on it.*



*if you put it in your back pocket.
That would foul the otherwise perfect silhouette of my rear. No thank you.

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I do that now with the Google Pixel XL
That is a big phone. What you hiding back there?

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
We have completely and entirely different experiences when it comes to battery.

Hopefully it'll work for people that want it. Obviously I'm not the target market and other people here are and that's awesome. I'll have to keep an eye out and see how the phone does and the reviews.
That was my point. Different users will have different needs. For some the form factor will be the deal maker.

Although, it won't be for me. I am so deep into iOS that I can't imagine buying a non-iOS phone. But, when Apple launches their $2500 versions of the razr, I will be waiting in line. In my jeans sporting the outlines of all my previous iphones faded into them.
__________________
Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 12:56 PM   #36
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 88,913
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Just making sure I was understanding it correctly. Simmer down, fella. The phone folded from top to bottom but there are many the fold side to side.
Plague, come on. I know you're a smart dude. Certainly you understood that I meant whatever dimension you were folding. Besides, is there really a difference between length and width on a device that you can hold in any direction?
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 12:56 PM   #37
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24,640
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Wider? What do you mean? All a foldable phone would do is make it shorter and thicker. The width would stay the same.
FWIW, Samsung already sells a folding phone that opens like a book. That's different compared to how the traditional flip phone opens.

When that Samsung is opened it doubles in width but the height remains the same.

I presume that all of these folding phones can be rotated to alternate between portrait and landscape display, but I don't know.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 01:54 PM   #38
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 8,097
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Plague, come on. I know you're a smart dude. Certainly you understood that I meant whatever dimension you were folding. Besides, is there really a difference between length and width on a device that you can hold in any direction?
As William stated below, I'm actually not sure if that's possible with these phones when it comes to orientation. There are a ton of things about this I don't know, if I'm being honest. Perhaps you knew something I didn't.

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
FWIW, Samsung already sells a folding phone that opens like a book. That's different compared to how the traditional flip phone opens.

When that Samsung is opened it doubles in width but the height remains the same.

I presume that all of these folding phones can be rotated to alternate between portrait and landscape display, but I don't know.
Opening like a book makes ways more sense to me than folding in the center. Folding the way this new Razr does, as I said, seems like a huge failure point, and I feel we went away from that design for a reason (more than just screen size).
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2020, 10:11 AM   #39
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 42,813
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Plague, come on. I know you're a smart dude. Certainly you understood that ...
"That's not what literally means, though."
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2020, 02:16 PM   #40
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 12,433
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Opening like a book makes ways more sense to me than folding in the center. Folding the way this new Razr does, as I said, seems like a huge failure point, and I feel we went away from that design for a reason (more than just screen size).
The "failure point' of the fold is presumably something that can be addressed as designs mature. My issue with the Motorola is that the gain is so minimal. You're basically unfolding to the size of a regular smartphone so you're only gaining a minimal size improvement when it's folded. At least the Samsung offered more screen for the same length and remained quite usable when folded.

I'll look forward to the 2022 versions.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:54 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.