ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th July 2018, 07:04 PM   #1
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

Hard drive issues

Few days ago my computer seemed to die, Windows 7 would not start up, could not find any Windows Restore images, so I formatted the hard drive and reinstalled windows.

Windows 7 reinstalled, most things working just fine.

But whenever I restated computer all Windows Restore images seem to vanish and when I restart I get a message that I cannot boot from the drive, but when hit F1 Windows does start up. I did a drive check and get error 2000-0146, which means there is a drive error.

Thoughts? Oh by the way when I did reinstall Windows 7 there was an error saying there was no drive to install to and I had to "delete" and re-add the drives and then I could install Windows 7.

Thanks for any help.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2018, 07:24 PM   #2
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

You may already know that you can scan your hard drive and potentially fix errors at the same time. Check the Tools for your C drive and then error checking disc scan. Check all the boxes in there for all possible error fixes. It's not guaranteed to work but it's easy to try.
Old 29th July 2018, 10:07 PM   #3
smartcooky
Philosopher

This sound suspiciously like your HDD is on its way out.

How old is it?
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2018, 07:03 PM   #4
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
This sound suspiciously like your HDD is on its way out.

How old is it?
8.5 years old.

Ran chkdsk /r, found a lot of errors.

Didn't fix my boot up issues or Windows Restore issues.

IT guy at my work found a 100% compatible new HD for my computer for $70.

Its SDD, twice the size, and SATA.

Ordered this afternoon. Hopefully this will keep my laptop usable for another 5 years.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2018, 10:03 PM   #5
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Yeah, a better solution altogether. Bigger, much faster, your laptop will breathe anew.

Only downside to SDDs is when they do go bad, they lose everything immediately and irretrievably. No gradual failures like HDDs, no coming back. So take backups regularly.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2018, 01:06 AM   #6
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

8.5 years old? Might be better to have bought a new computer. Then you get a much faster computer. Plus something else might die a sudden death.

An SDD is good for storing programs. Data should be stored elsewhere. I hope that is what you are doing. You can easily buy a 2TB hard drive. Who will ever need to use that much?

Last edited by rjh01; 1st August 2018 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Changed a 4 to a 2
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2018, 05:37 PM   #7
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Yeah, a better solution altogether. Bigger, much faster, your laptop will breathe anew.

Only downside to SDDs is when they do go bad, they lose everything immediately and irretrievably. No gradual failures like HDDs, no coming back. So take backups regularly.
I really don't do much with my computer.

Internet, Youtube, iTunes, MS Word. That's it.

I also just spent $1,000 on a trip to South Korea so Im not in the mood to spent another $700 right now on a new computer.

I'd like to see this baby last me for 5 more years with the new hard drive. By then I'm sure internet won't really work anymore and I'll have to buy a new computer, plus MS stops updating Windows 7 in January 2020.
Old 3rd August 2018, 08:25 PM   #8
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

New hard drive installed, Windows 7 reinstalled, all apps reinstalled.

Everything seems to be working well. Hopefully I have preserved my baby for at least 5 more years, though who knows what will happen once MS stops Updates.
Old 14th August 2018, 10:49 PM   #9
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Oddly enough, shortly after this thread, I started having similar issues with Win 10 booting. New SSD, back in business for, I hope, a while.

By the way, a completely irrelevant hard drive issue which I ran in to the other day, and which doesn't really deserve a whole thread:

I've long enjoyed taking apart old drives, of which I seem to have managed to get a pile, and saving the lovely mirror-coated disks. I took apart a laptop drive not long ago, and used the two little mirror disks as eyes on a found-object sculpture. One got knocked off onto the floor, and to my surprise it turned out to be glass! The old full size ones are made of metal. The disk burst into shards the size of glitter, all over the place!

So warning: if you use old HDD disks for artistic uses, make sure they're not made of glass.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet