ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th July 2018, 09:22 AM   #1
RolandRat
Scholar

Laptop Battery

I've been looking for a new laptop battery for a Toshiba Satellite L50-B-1NX. The only ones I can seem to find are 4 cell batteries, does anyone know if this is all they do for this model?
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2018, 03:08 AM   #2
Dabop
Muse

Thats because they are a 14.8v battery ie 4 x 3.7 li-ion batterys- why would you expect a 3 or 5 cell pack- one would be 'dead flat' even when fully charged and the 5 cell would likely let the smoke out of the internals through overvoltage...

If you are looking at the time it will run, look for the one with the biggest mAhr rating, a quick look shows they all seem to be from 2000mAhr to 2800mAhr, if they havent fudged their figures the 2800 will run nearly (but not quite) a third longer before going flat

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin

Last edited by Dabop; 21st July 2018 at 03:16 AM.
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2018, 05:10 AM   #3
RolandRat
Scholar

Thank you very much. I'm not very computer literate so your advice is very helpful
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st July 2018, 12:04 PM   #4
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dabop View Post
Thats because they are a 14.8v battery ie 4 x 3.7 li-ion batterys- why would you expect a 3 or 5 cell pack- one would be 'dead flat' even when fully charged and the 5 cell would likely let the smoke out of the internals through overvoltage...

If you are looking at the time it will run, look for the one with the biggest mAhr rating, a quick look shows they all seem to be from 2000mAhr to 2800mAhr, if they havent fudged their figures the 2800 will run nearly (but not quite) a third longer before going flat
Extended runtime battery packs are/were made for some lines/models (I had one for an HP six-seven years ago.

It's done by, just as you surmise, wiring additional 18650 cells in the pack (we vapers are constantly having to advise newbs against cannibalizing old packs for their e-cig mods... they're designed for higher mAh/lower current use, and are not suitable for vaping. (we need the amps, most laptops don't )

They're also 4.2v at full charge (3.6/3.7 is "nominal", ie: ~50%) and (for lappys etc.) are wired with a PMS (also absent from loose multi-cell vape mods)... no risk from "overvoltage" with the proper circuitry. Voltage regulation is a wonderful thing.

As for the OP and that particular model... couldn't say, but a Google search is how I found mine back when (try Batteries Plus).

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 21st July 2018 at 12:06 PM.
Jim_MDP is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2018, 02:34 AM   #5
Dabop
Muse

Another fellow vaper, greetings

The extended runtime ones were mostly nicad, and instead of using sub C cells, used C or even D cells which were physically larger and thus had extended run times
The only battery pack I have seen that was truly extended run time with li-ion batterys basically did the same thing, instead of using 18650's, used a physically larger cell (I dont know the number/name) but it was almost 1/3 larger in diameter than the 18650, but same length, and had the same number of cells in it

I havent seen any extended run time batterys with an extra cell, as it seems to me to be a bit pointless, it would require a different charger, and more to the point, the reg feeding the laptop would still have to feed the bus circuits on the motherboard with the same voltage(mostly 5v), so the extra voltage being fed would simply be dissipated in the reg as heat!!!

BTW li-ion batts are not a linear voltage relationship like lead acids or single use batterys, they have an almost flat voltage across most of their capacity range, with very steep rise/drops at either end, and 4.2 is dangerously close to the point that permanent damage can occur with them, same with low voltage at the discharge end, which is why BMS (battery management systems) are a must in series string li-ion battery packs for long life

I set up a rather nice set of 60Ahr li-ions in the ute as a replacement for two 80a/hr lead acids to run a fridge for shopping/camping and will be soon setting up a truly massive 2000ahr set in an offgrid house, in comparison to the old LA batts, a world apart...

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2018, 03:16 AM   #6
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

So many pro/con points between, but Li-Ions for off grid are still what... five to seven times the cost. I'm stuck with/sticking with LA in the RV, for now (though I am putting in a sweet 200W solar system (and likely a pair of 6v Trojans). A popular dream is a third 100w and a quad array of 6Vs... but my (and most) older RV's battery bay isn't built to hold the weight (damn ~200+Ah true Deep Cycles are like ~65 lbs each. ).

You're right that 4.2 is the max charge... and we do mean max, on those puppies (4.18 or a tad lower makes a huge difference in longevity)... they're temperamental in several ways.
and you might be right about sizing vs. larger arrays for lappys... I had just the one "fat pack", and never had the desire to crack any open to play with (or a dead normal for that matter.
Anyway... good info, thanks.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2018, 12:47 PM   #7
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

FWIW, there are lots of places, not just Amazon and eBay advertising batteries at pretty low prices. In my experience, the quality is not good and sometimes you get something that doesn't work at all.

I found a fairly decent supplier in PSA Parts. Looking up your model there doesn't appear to be an exact match, though there is for the L50-B series here. I would suggest checking the specs on the battery anyway to double check.

https://www.psaparts.co.uk/laptop-no...r-charger.html

The supplier may not be suitable, depending on where you live, but it hopefully it at least gives an indication on what to pay for a reasonable quality replacement.

Last edited by commandlinegamer; 22nd July 2018 at 12:49 PM.
commandlinegamer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2018, 09:48 PM   #8
Dabop
Muse

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
So many pro/con points between, but Li-Ions for off grid are still what... five to seven times the cost. I'm stuck with/sticking with LA in the RV, for now (though I am putting in a sweet 200W solar system (and likely a pair of 6v Trojans).
Actually I found the price difference not that bad, and considering the expected life expectancy, well worth the investment on the ute

Replacement cost for the original LA deepcycles was $280 each, the 4 winstons, a BMC/balancer and a monitor system cost just over 800 ($815 in fact), so the LA would be $560, only $255 less, yet the LA has a life expectancy of 3-5 years (and thats being optimistic) where the expected life expectancy on the Li-ions is 10-15 years.....
(oh and the ute has 2x250w panels on it for camping as well- cost around $200 each about 4 years ago)- now I could replace them for under $100 with barely used 2nd hand panels here)

best thing about the li-ions ver the LA I had previous- they weigh a total of 7kg, instead of the nearly 30kg the LA weighed, and altho 'only' 60ah against the 160ah of the old l/a, they actually last longer before 'going flat'!!!

Old 30th July 2018, 12:36 AM   #9
RolandRat
Scholar

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer View Post
FWIW, there are lots of places, not just Amazon and eBay advertising batteries at pretty low prices. In my experience, the quality is not good and sometimes you get something that doesn't work at all.

I found a fairly decent supplier in PSA Parts. Looking up your model there doesn't appear to be an exact match, though there is for the L50-B series here. I would suggest checking the specs on the battery anyway to double check.

https://www.psaparts.co.uk/laptop-no...r-charger.html

The supplier may not be suitable, depending on where you live, but it hopefully it at least gives an indication on what to pay for a reasonable quality replacement.
I managed to find one of the 2800 ones on Ebay for 28. Seems to be all good so far. Many thanks to all for your help.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet