ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags advertising , internet

Old 7th August 2018, 12:36 AM   #1
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Goofy Ads On the Internet

This is probably not a good idea, but I have been seeing a lot of weird ads on the internet, and I thought I'd talk about some of them.

1. The pictures that reveal a lot different side of history than we thought. I see this one everywhere, and as best as I can tell, we are supposed to be mind-boggled that in days gone by, some women had large breasts and occasionally you could see the nipples poking through their clothes. Thank goodness those days are gone!

2. This one is at the website for torrents: TPB. There are apparently new games available involving women with large breasts, and often no clothes at all. The advertising is confusing though; one game assures me I will not last 5 minutes, while another promises I won't last 10 minutes. Which is better? It is definitely hard to tell.

3. RFID-blocking wallets. Actually I was in the market for a wallet recently, went to Wal-Mart and got one, and no kidding about half the wallets for sale offered this nifty feature. I'm assuming paranoid craziness--I can remember the claims that the metal detectors in the airport terminals in the 1980s could detect how much money you had in your wallet, but in 2018 who knows? Didn't buy one, though.

Last edited by Brainster; 7th August 2018 at 12:39 AM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 09:52 AM   #2
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
This is probably not a good idea, but I have been seeing a lot of weird ads on the internet, and I thought I'd talk about some of them.

1. The pictures that reveal a lot different side of history than we thought. I see this one everywhere, and as best as I can tell, we are supposed to be mind-boggled that in days gone by, some women had large breasts and occasionally you could see the nipples poking through their clothes. Thank goodness those days are gone!

2. This one is at the website for torrents: TPB. There are apparently new games available involving women with large breasts, and often no clothes at all. The advertising is confusing though; one game assures me I will not last 5 minutes, while another promises I won't last 10 minutes. Which is better? It is definitely hard to tell.

3. RFID-blocking wallets. Actually I was in the market for a wallet recently, went to Wal-Mart and got one, and no kidding about half the wallets for sale offered this nifty feature. I'm assuming paranoid craziness--I can remember the claims that the metal detectors in the airport terminals in the 1980s could detect how much money you had in your wallet, but in 2018 who knows? Didn't buy one, though.
Interesting. I had a wallet that I bought at Walmart recently trigger a metal detector at a baseball game. I don't recall the wallet being advertised as RFID proof, but possibly I just didn't notice. Putting some metal mesh or foil in the wallet would probably work for making it RFID proof, so maybe that's why the metal detector was triggered.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 09:56 AM   #3
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Yeah, it's so easy to block RFID that it seems most wallets are adapting that as a selling point. I hate it, since I have RFID cards that I want to work without having to dig them out of my wallet. I had to replace my wallet recently and finding one that didn't include RFID blocking was quite restricting.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 10:29 AM   #4
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I had a wallet that always set of store alarms. Not always, but about 10% of the time. That is enough to be annoying. Finally a Home Depot employee asked if I wanted to figure out what was happening. So she handed me a bag to put my stuff in and we emptied the wallet. Sure enough, the wallet was the problem. Then we started digging in. Apparently there was an anti-theft tag within the lining of the wallet. There was a small opening in the lining and she got it out. I was very thankful. I don't think I would have thought to look inside the lining.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 09:03 PM   #5
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I had a wallet that always set of store alarms. Not always, but about 10% of the time. That is enough to be annoying. Finally a Home Depot employee asked if I wanted to figure out what was happening. So she handed me a bag to put my stuff in and we emptied the wallet. Sure enough, the wallet was the problem. Then we started digging in. Apparently there was an anti-theft tag within the lining of the wallet. There was a small opening in the lining and she got it out. I was very thankful. I don't think I would have thought to look inside the lining.
How long had it been since you actually stole the wallet?

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 09:09 PM   #6
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I generally assume that the ads I see on Tapatalk are for desperate scams. Juicero, for example.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 10:18 PM   #7
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Oddly enough, I bought an RFID proof wallet, after seeing a demonstration at work, showing how easy it was to trigger "Paywave" cards to give up their data.

Are near-field payment systems relatively new in the USA?

I have my RFID transport ticket (bus/train/tram) in the flip out section of the wallet with my driver's license, because it makes it easy to use that card when boarding transport.
Old 8th August 2018, 12:20 AM   #8
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
Gentlemen, I am proud of your responses. The OP presented three advertisements to be discussed. Two of them were overtly sexist, appealing to the basest instincts of the human male. You all chose, instead, to discuss wallets.

My hat tippeth.

Disavow any knowledge of my twitter here.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2018, 07:12 AM   #9
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Oddly enough, I bought an RFID proof wallet, after seeing a demonstration at work, showing how easy it was to trigger "Paywave" cards to give up their data.

Are near-field payment systems relatively new in the USA?

I remember a TV crime procedural several years ago in which a woman was skimming people's card data with a remote reader while walking through a crowd, so it's not that new.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2018, 07:30 AM   #10
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gerdbonk View Post
Gentlemen, I am proud of your responses. The OP presented three advertisements to be discussed. Two of them were overtly sexist, appealing to the basest instincts of the human male. You all chose, instead, to discuss wallets.

My hat tippeth.
And you chose to discuss the discussion.

Anyway, the first two were rather vague invitations to be outraged about sexism or something. The third had specific, concrete details about something that other members could discuss out of their own experience. I haven't seen the kinds of ads the OP seems to be referring to in the first two examples, but I do have an RFID wallet. So that's what I'd talk about.

Actually, what I'd talk about is the goofy ads that get served by Tapatalk. Most of them seem to be clickbait for off-brand link farms. Sometimes you get a desperate company trying to rescue a business model or product that's circling the drain. Juicero, for example, bought Tapatalk ads just before the end.

So when I see a Tapatalk ad for an actual product by name (as opposed to vague clickbait), my first thought is, this is probably a shabby product or cut-rate knockoff that can't be sold through normal channels. My second thought is, or maybe it's an unproven product and this is the only channel the advertiser can afford right now.

Every so often you get an ad for something like Turbotax, which is not unproven, nor shabby, nor a knock-off. I assume that's about Intuit making a seasonal push to saturate every advertising channel they can find.

Then there's the ad buy Elizabeth Warren (or someone using her name) made a couple months ago. Not sure what that was about. Did any of our other Tapatalk users see that one?

Last edited by theprestige; 8th August 2018 at 07:31 AM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2018, 07:34 AM   #11
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by gerdbonk View Post

My hat tippeth.
Bet the hat is a fedora.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2018, 09:45 AM   #12
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
How long had it been since you actually stole the wallet?

Weeks. That's what made it so embarrassing.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2018, 03:33 PM   #13
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Okay fine... I'll play. (yes... TapaCrap related)

Three that come to mind...
I followed the linki n some thread here for Tees with the satirical The IT Crowd's lengthy emergency call number... by the time I went to the next thread, Tapa had switched the main inline Ad to that or a competing shop selling those tees. Less than 90 seconds I'd guess. Efficiency, eh?

The last 6-8 weeks, many times a session, the main Ad will be for (paraphrase) "The World's Strongest Boy... see what he looks like now". Haven't followed it as his ~10 year old shirtless muscular pic is both impressive, and creepy... but unlike The IT Crowd example I have no idea what triggered it in my feed. I don't follow/search WWE/contact sports/weightlifting and especially not bodybuilding. Weird.

But related to #1 in the OP...
Haven't seen it for ~10 days, but for a month or so I had a frequent... "See the REAL Old West" kind of clickbait. With a smokin' hawt ~1880s looking woman, on a tall stool, holding a rifle... in a great bustier.
Too bad it's one of the damn slideshow sites... "click next"
Didn't play along so I didn't get to see the un-cropped photo... but "how many petticoats is she wearing?" Enquiring minds want to know!

eta: and I have no idea what product has theprestige so riled up... I never get that one.
(or wallets )

"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 8th August 2018 at 03:34 PM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2018, 03:51 PM   #14
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not riled up about any of the Tapatalk ads. Are you referring to the Juicero ad?

I'm getting the "world's strongest boy" on heavy rotation right now as well. I don't think I've ever seen a Tapatalk ad that was linked to my forum activity in any obvious way.
Old 9th August 2018, 02:41 PM   #15
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I'm not riled up about any of the Tapatalk ads. Are you referring to the Juicero ad?

I'm getting the "world's strongest boy" on heavy rotation right now as well. I don't think I've ever seen a Tapatalk ad that was linked to my forum activity in any obvious way.
Yeah, the Juicero one you mentioned a couple times. Never seen it, and don't really get hit with the crap product ads so it felt like you were, and getting tired of it.

The IT Crowd ad was such obvious search history targeting (and so wicked quick)... it just kinda stunned me. It's the only one (so far) that stands out that way on my Tapa ad feed.

Old 10th August 2018, 03:58 AM   #16
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Okay fine... I'll play. (yes... TapaCrap related)

Three that come to mind...
I followed the linki n some thread here for Tees with the satirical The IT Crowd's lengthy emergency call number... by the time I went to the next thread, Tapa had switched the main inline Ad to that or a competing shop selling those tees. Less than 90 seconds I'd guess. Efficiency, eh?

The last 6-8 weeks, many times a session, the main Ad will be for (paraphrase) "The World's Strongest Boy... see what he looks like now". Haven't followed it as his ~10 year old shirtless muscular pic is both impressive, and creepy... but unlike The IT Crowd example I have no idea what triggered it in my feed. I don't follow/search WWE/contact sports/weightlifting and especially not bodybuilding. Weird.

But related to #1 in the OP...
Haven't seen it for ~10 days, but for a month or so I had a frequent... "See the REAL Old West" kind of clickbait. With a smokin' hawt ~1880s looking woman, on a tall stool, holding a rifle... in a great bustier.
Too bad it's one of the damn slideshow sites... "click next"
Didn't play along so I didn't get to see the un-cropped photo... but "how many petticoats is she wearing?" Enquiring minds want to know!

eta: and I have no idea what product has theprestige so riled up... I never get that one.
(or wallets )
These things show up without Tapatalk. CNN has some of the most brainless leads (clickbait) to paid content. Why they think I'm interested in knowing what star bought or sold a home, I have no idea.

It runs in cycles, though. Maybe I haven't clicked enough crap links because the last week they're offering ads(pseudo articles) from Outbrain, but generally I get crap from OMG! and "They were big just X years ago, wait'll you see them now" at similar sites. And honestly, I will sometimes click one of those if I'm bored. Last week they had an old sepia tone photo of a stunningly beautiful Polynesian or ASEAN woman and a headline something like Great Pictures from History You Never Saw. Knowing it was a "Nexting" site, I decided to rummage through because I was curious who she was. There was no picture of the woman in the 32 (or however many) slides!

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 06:17 AM   #17
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
It runs in cycles, though. Maybe I haven't clicked enough crap links because the last week they're offering ads(pseudo articles) from Outbrain, but generally I get crap from OMG! and "They were big just X years ago, wait'll you see them now" at similar sites.

The Penny Arcade webcomic did a parody of those ads a few years ago.

"You won't believe what Brendan Fraser looks like now!!"
"Probably like himself, but older. So what?" -Click-
"He's now 60% crocodile!!" Accompanied by a picture of a human-crocodile hybrid in a suit.
"Okay. I genuinely didn't expect that."
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 07:44 AM   #18
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
The Penny Arcade webcomic did a parody of those ads a few years ago.

"You won't believe what Brendan Fraser looks like now!!"
"Probably like himself, but older. So what?" -Click-
"He's now 60% crocodile!!" Accompanied by a picture of a human-crocodile hybrid in a suit.
"Okay. I genuinely didn't expect that."
The thing I love about the rash of "where are they now" articles is that they're about 95% "Who???". There have been so many of those "articles" they they've run through the A and B lists and are almost finished with C.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 08:02 AM   #19
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
The thing I love about the rash of "where are they now" articles is that they're about 95% "Who???". There have been so many of those "articles" they they've run through the A and B lists and are almost finished with C.

If it's someone people care about who had something interesting happen after moving out of the spotlight, it's usually already been covered by legitimate media. For example, the actor who played Charlie in the 1971 Gene Wilder Willy Wonka movie. After that movie, he decided he wasn't interested in acting as a career and eventually became a veterinarian.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet