ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th August 2018, 07:13 AM   #1
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Dual boot: preserving windows 7?

I have an issue that is difficult to contemplate. Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop have issues with windows 7, but I have a structural analysis package (Algor) that is expensive as hell that wont work on 8 and 10.
I need to upgrade, yet retain 7 for the ALGOR. What is the best way to do that?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2018, 08:18 AM   #2
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
I have an issue that is difficult to contemplate. Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop have issues with windows 7, but I have a structural analysis package (Algor) that is expensive as hell that wont work on 8 and 10.
I need to upgrade, yet retain 7 for the ALGOR. What is the best way to do that?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Dual boot is one option. Another would be to use a virtual machine for one OS. This of course assumes that you have a machine with sufficient processing power, memory, HD space, etc. to run a virtual machine. Most PC's made in tha last 10 years will do it without issue. With a VM, you can run both OS's at once. With a dual boot, you can only run one and have to reboot to switch.

VirtualBox and VMWare Player are free.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2018, 09:37 AM   #3
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Yup, that's what I do. I run Linux full time and have dual booted for games into Win7. I don't really play games anymore, so I just use Vbox with a Win7 image to run WordPerfect, and a few other apps that I enjoy using from time to time.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2018, 08:12 PM   #4
This is The End

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
With a VM, you can run both OS's at once. With a dual boot, you can only run one and have to reboot to switch.

VirtualBox and VMWare Player are free.

Go with CORed's answer.

Do use a virtual machine program.

Do not use dual boot.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet