ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Old Today, 10:17 AM   #1521
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
Haven't updated myself this morning but there was much pseudo philosophical debate last night on whether the Bill was dead, paused or in limbo as well as what being in limbo actually meant and then some discussions on the teachings of the Catholic Church, Dante and Monty Python. (And I'm not even joking)

This is just a jolly old jape for the Eton boys.

My understanding of the actual situation:

- The Bill is now stopped and cannot progress until a timetable is approved by Parliament
- The Government aren't going to bring this timetable motion for the time being
- Nothing can therefore get approved before Oct 31.
- We are waiting to see if the EU approve an extension, if they do then we will get an extension, if not then we will have a no-deal exit at the end of the month
- The Tories want an election as they think they will win it. But they can't get one without the support of the opposition.
-Meanwhile the Tories are claiming the deal was approved, while Labour are saying they only passed it so they can change it completely.

Confused yet? Everyone else is.
There is one other possibility in that scenario, and that is to revoke Article 50.
Old Today, 10:52 AM   #1522
ceptimus
puzzler

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Everyone in favour of Brexit, who have spent the last three and a half years explaining in detail why, once their side has won one referendum, any second referendum before everyone who voted in the first one is dead would be an attack on the very fundamentals of democracy, although if the first one had gone the other way a second referendum as soon as possible would have been absolutely vital to the proper functioning of democracy. From a tactical point of view the bro-Brexit side have nothing to gain and everythign to lose from a second referendum, so they'll advance every argument and use every tactic they can think of to avoid it. And if you sincerely believe no-one can object to a confirmatory referendum, you haven't been paying attention.

Dave
How about all the Remain supporting politicians, including the Prime Minister and Chancellor at the time, plus Corbyn himself, who all promised sincerely that the referendum would NOT be rerun, and that it would be a once in a generation event?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

https://youtu.be/mHZFICg6EIE

That was before they LOST of course, since when they have been shown to be the complete liars that they are.

Last edited by ceptimus; Today at 10:54 AM.
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:00 AM   #1523
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

1. The hard right cabinet that Bojo has assembled will be seen as staunch enough to render the Brexit Party somewhat impotent. They seem to have gone slightly quiet of late. You also wonder whether some deals have been done behind closed doors.
Farage has been shooting his mouth off every chance he gets.

Quote:
2. The opposition are capable of co-operation given that Swinson seems to be doing her best to annoy everyone, Corbyn is Corbyn and nobody seems willing to offer the SNP anything worthwhile.
Yes, this is the biggest obstacle.

I said it was a realistic best-case, not that it was probable.
Old Today, 11:06 AM   #1524
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
That was before they LOST of course, since when they have been shown to be the complete liars that they are.
Just today alone I've read 7 separate lies by Johnon.

Here's one: https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1186986118010540033

Quote:
In an email *signed* by the Prime Minister to Conservative supporters, he repeats the nonsense/untruth that the deal “passed Parliament.”
Here's another 6 from yesterday: https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1186894987176402945

And, just for a laugh and in order to show how consistent a politician Johnson is: https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1186975313424715776

Quote:
Brilliant from @StewartHosieSNP at #PMQs Reads out a ringing endorsement of EU membership, waits for the inevitable Tory jeers to subside

then tells them he was quoting from Boris Johnson.
Old Today, 12:59 PM   #1525
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Like a corny South American soap opera, you have to have followed it from the beginning to understand all the twists and turns and nuances. Confused? You won't be...after the next episode of, 'BREXIT!'

I have been following it from the beginning.

That might even be part of the problem.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:14 PM   #1526
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Haven't updated myself this morning but there was much pseudo philosophical debate last night on whether the Bill was dead, paused or in limbo as well as what being in limbo actually meant and then some discussions on the teachings of the Catholic Church, Dante and Monty Python. (And I'm not even joking)

This is just a jolly old jape for the Eton boys.

My understanding of the actual situation:

- The Bill is now stopped and cannot progress until a timetable is approved by Parliament
- The Government aren't going to bring this timetable motion for the time being
- Nothing can therefore get approved before Oct 31.
- We are waiting to see if the EU approve an extension, if they do then we will get an extension, if not then we will have a no-deal exit at the end of the month
- The Tories want an election as they think they will win it. But they can't get one without the support of the opposition.
-Meanwhile the Tories are claiming the deal was approved, while Labour are saying they only passed it so they can change it completely.

Confused yet? Everyone else is.

Wise words to live by;
"If you think you know what's going on, that means you don't understand the situation."

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:25 PM   #1527
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
Johnson has got to the same place May had got to. But he wants to do the debating about the bill and any amendments and votes on the amendments in only 3 days. Parliament has said no, since it would clearly take more than 3 days to debate and amend.

The debates and amendments over May's deal took weeks and they were never happy with it. I think Parliament knows they will just be stuck in the same rut as before. Lots of amendments and no agreements.

They are looking for another way out and a GE is one.
Put down some camp beds and set up electronic voting; don't let MPs leave until the bill is debated fully.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:05 PM   #1528
Garrison
Illuminator

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ed-brexit-bill

Corbyn and Johnson meet and cannot agree.

I think it is time that Parliament faces up to its inability to agree on what to do and go back to the public, either with a GE or another referendum.
It has to be referendum for Brexit, there are too many complicating factors to try and take the outcome of a GE as any sort of barometer on Brexit. How many Labour leave supporters will still vote for a Labour party that is still technically on the Remain side because they don't trust the Tories with NHS? Likewise how many Tory remainers will stick with the party because they don't trust Corbyn not to send their taxes through the roof?

Resolve the Brexit situation one way or another then hold a GE.
Old Today, 02:12 PM   #1529
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
It has to be referendum for Brexit, there are too many complicating factors to try and take the outcome of a GE as any sort of barometer on Brexit. How many Labour leave supporters will still vote for a Labour party that is still technically on the Remain side because they don't trust the Tories with NHS? Likewise how many Tory remainers will stick with the party because they don't trust Corbyn not to send their taxes through the roof?

Resolve the Brexit situation one way or another then hold a GE.
If there was a vote of no confidence, would Johnson win?
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:35 PM   #1530
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
How about all the Remain supporting politicians, including the Prime Minister and Chancellor at the time, plus Corbyn himself, who all promised sincerely that the referendum would NOT be rerun, and that it would be a once in a generation event.

This prime minster promised to pull the latest 'deal' if he lost the second vote last night. He also promised we would remain in the single market if we voted leave. If he can't be expected to keep his own promises how can you reasonably expect him to keep the promises of someone two prime minsters ago?
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:38 PM   #1531
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Depends if enough people vote for having no confidence.

Certainly there are enough that lack confidence in him but tactically there could be merit in leaving him in post.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:04 PM   #1532
sphenisc
Illuminator

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Win as in keep his job, or win as in getting to run away and let someone else clean up the Augean stables?

Last edited by sphenisc; Today at 04:02 PM.
sphenisc is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:00 PM   #1533
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ed-brexit-bill

Corbyn and Johnson meet and cannot agree.

I think it is time that Parliament faces up to its inability to agree on what to do and go back to the public, either with a GE or another referendum.
Wow, it is a lot like the situation with the elections in Israel......

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:01 PM   #1534
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
Win as in keep his job, or win as in get to run away and let someone else clean up the Augean stables?
As I stated, I wonder when Boris will decide that being PM is not as much fun as he thought it would be, and wants out...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics