ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old Today, 11:57 AM   #2841
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
What is your position on the claim that a grand-jury-type proceeding is in every way a lynching? Grand juries don't actually execute people, that I know of.
It's stupid hyperbole. But I don't find it offensive because of the word "lynch", and neither did almost everyone else when anyone else did the same thing until Trump decided to do it.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:01 PM   #2842
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
It's either this or we all go around the room agreeing that the orange man is bad yet again.
Dems really ought to co-op that saying. I'd buy an Orange Man Bad ballcap.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:10 PM   #2843
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Dems really ought to co-op that saying. I'd buy an Orange Man Bad ballcap.
Nah, settle for just buying or growing him a pair.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:14 PM   #2844
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
By that standard, CNN never says anything.
No, that would be by a different standard that you just made up.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:43 PM   #2845
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

After Bill Taylor's extraordinary testimony yesterday, how the hell can Zig, Prestige etc defend Trump?

Do they really believe this dedicated public servant was lying and that Trump and Rudy are telling the truth? How many career professionals who have extensive histories working in both Democratic and Republican administrations have to confirm what they did as well as the summary the White House provided to come to an honest conclusion?

There is a point somewhere isn't there? When you have to admit your spouse is cheating on you? Do you really continue to question that point after you discover him/her naked in bed with two other people?
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.

Last edited by acbytesla; Today at 12:45 PM.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:45 PM   #2846
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And no one has even metioned Trump's incredible act of appeasement to Putin and Erdogan this morning.
Trump has betrayed basic US interests in the Middle East. I am astonished how the hell Republcians can continue to support him after this Munich level disaster.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:46 PM   #2847
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
After Bill Taylor's extraordinary testimony yesterday, how the hell can Zig, Prestige etc defend Trump?

Do they really believe this dedicated public servant was lying and that Trump and Rudy are telling the truth? How many career professionals who have extensive histories working in both Democratic and Republican administrations have to confirm what they did as well as the summary the White House provided to come to an honest conclusion?

There is a point somewhere isn't there when you have to admit your spouse is cheating on you? Do you really continue to question that point after you discover him/her naked in bed with two other people?
Three words, Deep State Conspiracy and the whole GOP is bought into the narrative. There is literally no evidence that would sway their opinion IMO.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:50 PM   #2848
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Three words, Deep State Conspiracy and the whole GOP is bought into the narrative. There is literally no evidence that would sway their opinion IMO.
It's not so much the Deep State Conspiracy crap , but fear of being primaried if they oppose Trump that is driving the GOP in the House to be such butt kissers.
In the senate, there are signs of a few crack in Trump's GOP wall. A lot of them are not up to reelection next year.
And you might want to tone down the Eeyore routine. Helps nobody but Trump.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; Today at 12:53 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:53 PM   #2849
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
GOd, you really have written off democracy as dead in both the US and UK have'n t you.
I hate to say this, but your Eeyore routine helps nobody but Trump and BoJO.
I'll change my tune when I see evidence to the contrary. I thought that selling out the Kurds might cause the GOP to grow a backbone but after a couple of days of mild rebuke, they've pivoted to be firmly behind the President.

Edited to add.....

Though I agree that apart from a few nutjobs, they don't actually believe his nonsense, it is about not being primaried. President Trump is a symptom, not the cause.

Last edited by The Don; Today at 12:56 PM.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:55 PM   #2850
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

BTW interesting the athe high school level political theater in the House has distracting attention from Trump's total capitulation to Putin,Erdogan, and Assad in the Mideast?

Robert Heinlein.
Old Today, 12:57 PM   #2851
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

BTW interesting the athe high school level political theater in the House has distracting attention from Trump's total capitulation to Putin,Erdogan, and Assad in the Mideast?
...and here's me thinking that the GOP were against selling out the Kurds.
Old Today, 01:11 PM   #2852
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Which of course is nothing but conspiracy crap now piled three miles high.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:14 PM   #2853
plague311
Great minds think...

There is a point somewhere isn't there? When you have to admit your spouse is cheating on you? Do you really continue to question that point after you discover him/her naked in bed with two other people?
I think it's safe to say that no matter what Trump does there will be people out there that will defend him. There are people that defend Nixon to this day.

The fact is that is the Phil Ken Sebben of politics. Completely clueless, completely useless, but for some reason people are just drawn to do what he says. Mostly because he's an alpha(style) male and people equate money with intelligence. I have no idea why, that's just what they do.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:15 PM   #2854
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

It's not so much the Deep State Conspiracy crap , but fear of being primaried if they oppose Trump that is driving the GOP in the House to be such butt kissers.
In the senate, there are signs of a few crack in Trump's GOP wall. A lot of them are not up to reelection next year.
And you might want to tone down the Eeyore routine. Helps nobody but Trump.
That is the beauty of the Senate. The 6 year term with election cycles that are staggered. The founders wanted the Senate not to be too heavily influenced by the momentary whims of the electorate.
Old Today, 01:20 PM   #2855
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

And yet the deep state' career professionals are backed up by the White House's own release of the summary of the call, Rudy's television interviews and the Press Secretary's admission which was clearly an excited utterance.

Last edited by acbytesla; Today at 01:38 PM.
Old Today, 01:30 PM   #2856
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Did he just admit that military aid was being withheld?

And then he wants to prosecute the Press for publishing unflattering articles about him.
He did. His staff are now running around in circles yelling and waving their arms in the air trying to work out how to spin this.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:40 PM   #2857
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump thinks that the Russian Army moving in to positions previously held by the US and the Kurds being forced out is somehow a big success.
Everything he does is a success. He's the most successful President ever.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:44 PM   #2858
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Happy to oblige.

I read the first take at outrage being “Using the term ‘lynching’ is horribly offensive”. I took that as universally bad.

Then, whataboutism set in, where it was pointed out how many others have used the term in the past, including the newly outraged Democrats.

So the first take was modified to read “Using the term ‘lynching’ is especially horribly offensive when President does it”.

That seems to me to have moved the goalpost. But these things are never black-and-white, so I appreciate some may view it differently.
I just avoid **** like that. It's arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Trump is ignorant, criminal, dangerous, impulsive, vindictive and unpredictable. All qualities you don't want in a President.
Old Today, 01:57 PM   #2859
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweeted
Quote:
“I give away my presidential salary. They say no other President has done it. I’m surprised, to be honest with you. They say George Washington may have been the only other President to do that.”
One reply was:
Quote:
At $400,000 a year, Obama earned just over $3 million in eight years. Trump has spent about THIRTY times that golfing in 2.5 years. It doesn’t even make sense to try to draw comparisons between these two sets of figures because they’re so wildly different.
Second Nexus reported
Quote:
Since becoming President, almost a third of Trump’s time has been at one of his resorts or commercial properties. The fees charged to his security details, aides and others in his entourage plus the White House press corps go directly into the Trump Organization’s bank accounts. Link
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Power Shovel.jpg (150.2 KB, 5 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:04 PM   #2860
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Republicans who don't show absolute obedience to Trump are human scum who are, thankfully, dying off fast.

Quote:
President Trump on Wednesday excoriated so-called Never Trump Republicans as "human scum" as he seeks to solidify Republican support of him amid an ongoing impeachment inquiry.

He singled out his administration's special envoy to Ukraine, William Taylor, who a day earlier sat for closed door testimony with those lawmakers the impeachment inquiry and delivered damaging testimony about the White House's efforts to pressure Ukraine for political purposes.

"The Never Trumper Republicans, though on respirators with not many left, are in certain ways worse and more dangerous for our Country than the Do Nothing Democrats," Trump tweeted. "Watch out for them, they are human scum!"

"Never Trumper Republican John Bellinger, represents Never Trumper Diplomat Bill Taylor (who I don’t know), in testimony before Congress!" Trump tweeted about 45 minutes later, bemoaning the lack of transparency in the impeachment proceedings thus far.

"It would be really great if the people within the Trump Administration, all well-meaning and good (I hope!), could stop hiring Never Trumpers, who are worse than the Do Nothing Democrats," Trump added. "Nothing good will ever come from them!"

Trump earlier this week complained that Democrats leading the impeachment investigation were interviewing individuals he hadn't heard of before launching into a tirade against the "Never Trumpers."

"Don’t forget, many of these people were put there during Obama, during Clinton, during the Never Trump or Bush era," Trump said at a Cabinet meeting on Monday. "You know, you had a Never Trump or Bush. You have heard of those? Those people might be worse than the Democrats — the Never Trumpers. The good news is they're dying off fast."
Linky.
Old Today, 02:08 PM   #2861
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Never Trumper Republican John Bellinger, represents Never Trumper Diplomat Bill Taylor (who I don’t know), in testimony before Congress! Do Nothing Democrats allow Republicans Zero Representation, Zero due process, and Zero Transparency....

....Does anybody think this is fair? Even though there was no quid pro quo, I’m sure they would like to try. Worse than the Dems!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:09 PM   #2862
Minoosh
Philosopher

...and here's me thinking that the GOP were against selling out the Kurds.
A few of them might object. But selling out the Kurds is just a small part of the picture. For better or worse, Trump is signaling that he wants to cede U.S. influence in the Middle East. Maybe he’s even correct to do so. But I’m not sure the Senate is going to let him do this forever.

He’s also pulling the U.S. out of influence in the Western Hemisphere by apparently dropping any objection to a Soviet - er, Russian -backed dictatorship in Venezuela.

So in effect he’s withdrawing not only from the fight against terrorism, but also from any Cold War-like relationship to Russia. And I’m not sure the intelligence-military community is going to allow that to happen. If he wanted to just bring *all* troops home, would the powers that be let that happen? *Are* there any “powers that be”? Maybe not. Maybe the U.S. will happily become a splendidly isolationist former world power with all of its mighty military devoted to policing the border and nothing else. I doubt it, but I don’t know. It looks to me that this is where Trump’s policies would lead. It looks more like a coherent policy than anything else I’ve seen from him. Turn the U.S. into a giant resort with surplus food-making capability - a playground and bread basket for the global dictatorship club.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:15 PM   #2863
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Republicans who don't show absolute obedience to Trump are human scum who are, thankfully, dying off fast.

Linky.
Oh goody-goody gumdrops. Another group to scapegoat. I’m happy to see this because I want Trump to feel besieged from all sides. He’s not sure he even has a loyal White House contingent.
Old Today, 02:18 PM   #2864
Minoosh
Philosopher

"It would be really great if the people within the Trump Administration, all well-meaning and good (I hope!), could stop hiring Never Trumpers, who are worse than the Do Nothing Democrats," Trump added. "Nothing good will ever come from them!"

He is not even sure of his own Cabinet.
Old Today, 02:44 PM   #2865
Belz...
Fiend God

That is the beauty of the Senate. The 6 year term with election cycles that are staggered. The founders wanted the Senate not to be too heavily influenced by the momentary whims of the electorate.
They also didn't want the Senate to be elected.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:46 PM   #2866
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Never Trumper Republican John Bellinger, represents Never Trumper Diplomat Bill Taylor (who I don’t know), in testimony before Congress! Do Nothing Democrats allow Republicans Zero Representation, Zero due process, and Zero Transparency....

....Does anybody think this is fair? Even though there was no quid pro quo, I’m sure they would like to try. Worse than the Dems!
Ah, turning on his friends, now. Well, well, well ...

Hans
Old Today, 03:13 PM   #2867
The_Animus
Illuminator

In federal appeals court today, Trump's attorneys argued that he could publicly murder someone and not be punished while in office.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:15 PM   #2868
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
...Trump's attorneys argued that he could publicly murder someone and not be punished while in office.
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:24 PM   #2869
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

In federal appeals court today, Trump's attorneys argued that he could publicly murder someone and not be punished while in office.
I listened to the entire hearing. Not only that but if Trump pulled out a gun and shot someone on 5th avenue NY authorities couldn't apprehend him.

Their argument was absurd. The President had ABSOLUTE IMMUNITY not only from prosecution but from any investigation. Only after impeachment could the President be investigated. Now, I might concede that the President may not be prosecuted while in office, it is risible to suggest that authorities cannot investigate.

Last edited by acbytesla; Today at 03:38 PM.
Old Today, 03:27 PM   #2870
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
They also didn't want the Senate to be elected.
Not until 1915 were all Senators elected. Before they were selected by their respective State legislators.

Last edited by acbytesla; Today at 03:37 PM.
Old Today, 03:35 PM   #2871
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

I would like to think that he would try that. On Fifth Avenue in NYC too. First victim: Himself.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:42 PM   #2872
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

None of whom are particularly friendly to Israel, especially Assad who is beholden to Iran. But somehow supporting Israel is a primary concern of Republicans.
Old Today, 03:42 PM   #2873
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I would like to think that he would try that. On Fifth Avenue in NYC too. First victim: Himself.
Clearly it would be self-defense.
Old Today, 03:47 PM   #2874
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I listened to the entire hearing. Not only that but if Trump pulled out a gun and shot someone on 5th avenue NY authorities couldn't apprehend him.

Their argument was absurd. The President had ABSOLUTE IMMUNITY not only from prosecution but from any investigation. Only after impeachment could the President be investigated. Now, I might concede that the President may not be prosecuted while in office, it is risible to suggest that authorities cannot investigate.
You have to wonder why they even made it

Robert Heinlein.
Old Today, 03:50 PM   #2875
Belz...
Fiend God

Now, I might concede that the President may not be prosecuted while in office
Don't. It's a DOJ memo, not any written law, and because of the argument put forth in front of that judge, that memo has been called into question.

Quote:
Not until 1915 were all Senators elected. Before they were selected by their respective State legislators.
Yeah I know. I think they should've kept that. Not everyone needs to be elected and not everything should be up to a popular vote.

Old Today, 03:51 PM   #2876
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
None of whom are particularly friendly to Israel, especially Assad who is beholden to Iran. But somehow supporting Israel is a primary concern of Republicans.

If you look at the Israeli press, they are scared as hell about these developments...with good reason. There are signs that Erodgan might now go full scale "Death to Israel" to increase his claim to be a major power in the Islmaic world.
COmmon opinion is that Bibi has been played for a sucker by Trump.
And, btw, some of the evangelicals convulutions to show how this is somehow good for Israel are funny. There is now a huge contradiction between their blind support for Israel and their blind worship of Trump,and they are not handling it very well.

Robert Heinlein.
Old Today, 04:00 PM   #2877
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

You have to wonder why they even made it.
To drag out the process. There is little doubt that whatever ruling is made it will be appealed to SCOTUS.
Old Today, 04:03 PM   #2878
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

To drag out the process. There is little doubt that whatever ruling is made it will be appealed to SCOTUS.

But it is such a crappy argument;they could have dragged it out with a better one.

Robert Heinlein.
Old Today, 04:22 PM   #2879
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

But it is such a crappy argument;they could have dragged it out with a better one.
Like what? They had other arguments as well. They argued since it involves POTUS it belongs in Federal court. Otherwise POTUS would see a deluge of state prosecutors potentially going after Presidents. One of the judges pointed out there were lots of federal courts that could do the same anyway and it hasn't happened. They argued that this was all subterfuge in an attempto to obtain his financial records.

But basically the main theme of Trump's argument is that as Potus he should be immune from any investigation.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics