ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Jack Burkman , Jacob Wohl

Old 14th September 2020, 05:51 PM   #241
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Their last few attempts at ineptly making fake scandals have barely made a blip on the media radar. So I assume they are going for “even negative attention is attention”.
That's my hunch too. I think even their "press conferences" were starting to become sparsely attended. Have to up the ante.
Old 14th September 2020, 05:54 PM   #242
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Even goldfish are capable of pattern recognition.

Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2020, 11:01 PM   #243
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

These two clowns make Trump look almost of average intelligence. Almost.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 01:33 AM   #244
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
These guys are so inept, it would be entertaining to see them try to fake their own deaths.
They are so ******* inept, they would very probably, accidentally succeed... in actually killing themselves!

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 02:01 AM   #245
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
They are so ******* inept, they would very probably, accidentally succeed... in actually killing themselves!
Not too bothered about the keyboard...but that was good coffee man.
Old 16th September 2020, 11:32 AM   #246
Galaxie
Muse

That's what I was hinting at
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 11:34 AM   #247
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

WaPo got bamboozled by this one, originally running a story that the raid was real.

It's hard to imagine why anyone would want to falsely claim they got raided by the feds, but at this point with these two, journalists should be on the highest alert for BS.

Egg on the face of WaPo.
Old 16th September 2020, 12:07 PM   #248
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
WaPo got bamboozled by this one, originally running a story that the raid was real.

It's hard to imagine why anyone would want to falsely claim they got raided by the feds, but at this point with these two, journalists should be on the highest alert for BS.

Egg on the face of WaPo.
I don't buy that the Post looks bad at all on this. Making it look real was trivially easy and the evidence bar for it being real is extremely low since it's already certain that these two dummies are being federally prosecuted. An editor would be right to approve a short article about this after seeing pictures/video.

I'm wondering if the dummies are going to defend themselves by claiming they're addicted to hoaxes. Staging an FBI raid to nobody's real benefit or detriment would be a compelling piece of evidence in such a defense.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 12:13 PM   #249
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Egg on the face of WaPo.
The point was:

1. Fake FBI Raid to get lots of Media Attention
2. Hold Press Conference to present made-up nonsense
3. ???
4. Profit
Old 16th September 2020, 12:14 PM   #250
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The point was:

1. Fake FBI Raid to get lots of Media Attention
2. Hold Press Conference to present made-up nonsense
3. ???
4. Profit
I have to assume the fake raid was supposed to hold up long enough for a second tier of a hoax. Maybe a press conference like you suggest, that seems to fit their MO. Who knows.

I don't see how the fake raid, by itself, was a useful endeavor, even for con men.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 16th September 2020 at 12:36 PM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 12:24 PM   #251
carlitos
"más divertido"

At least they didn’t schedule the fake raid on garbage day.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 02:43 PM   #252
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

What I'm trying to figure out is how the WaPo fell for it, to the point where they actually ran it as a news item. Did the reporter or their editor not have a contact at the FBI that could confirm or deny the raid?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 07:25 PM   #253
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

I don't see how the fake raid, by itself, was a useful endeavor, even for con men.

Well, it did get them back in the news. For some idiots, that alone is worth it, even if being in the news just serves to remind everyone about how much of an idiot they are.
Old 17th September 2020, 03:08 AM   #254
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

More from the 'actor'
In emails Wohl said the role was “a police drama” & he’d be “acting as an FBI Special Agent” “for multiple shows, a couple of unaired pilots.” The ad said $400 CASH, but actors weren’t paid.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2020, 03:15 AM   #255
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
More from the 'actor'
In emails Wohl said the role was “a police drama” & he’d be “acting as an FBI Special Agent” “for multiple shows, a couple of unaired pilots.” The ad said $400 CASH, but actors weren’t paid.
What a total dick move.
Old 17th September 2020, 03:17 AM   #256
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
What a total dick move.
also, Wire Fraud.
Old 17th September 2020, 04:00 AM   #257
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
More from the 'actor'
I was wondering about that. Seemed like a lot of manpower for one of their scams, and the payroll could really add up to real money.
Old 18th September 2020, 06:22 AM   #258
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

I was wondering about that. Seemed like a lot of manpower for one of their scams, and the payroll could really add up to real money.

Screwing the hired help; it turns out he really is a devotee of Trump!
Old 18th September 2020, 08:18 AM   #259
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Pophat covered this on his podcast.

The TL/DR version is that a) the wire fraud is a felony, but unlikely to be prosecuted because it's only $400, and b) the conspiracy/masterminding people impersonating FBI officials might be a felony depending on exactly what the "agents" did, if they interacted with other members of the public, etc., and possibly WRT the Washington Post (although that latter one is untested in law), but is unlikely to be prosecuted because authorities are unlikely to want to actually touch it because of how ridiculous it is. He likened it to having an argument with a clown - it doesn't matter if you're right, you're still going to come across like an idiot and, in his opinion, the authorities won't want to put themselves in that position.
Old 18th September 2020, 12:15 PM   #260
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

also, Wire Fraud.

Nah... process crime

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2020, 05:41 AM   #261
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

also, Wire Fraud.

"It can't be "wire" fraud, I posted it from my iPhone!"
Old 19th September 2020, 07:08 AM   #262
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Pophat covered this on his podcast.

The TL/DR version is that a) the wire fraud is a felony, but unlikely to be prosecuted because it's only $400, and b) the conspiracy/masterminding people impersonating FBI officials might be a felony depending on exactly what the "agents" did, if they interacted with other members of the public, etc., and possibly WRT the Washington Post (although that latter one is untested in law), but is unlikely to be prosecuted because authorities are unlikely to want to actually touch it because of how ridiculous it is. He likened it to having an argument with a clown - it doesn't matter if you're right, you're still going to come across like an idiot and, in his opinion, the authorities won't want to put themselves in that position.
The actors who were defrauded are probably better off going to small claims court.
Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM   #263
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

"Ironically, Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman are facing a real FBI investigation just days after staging a fake, unrelated FBI raid on Burkman's house for media attention."

https://twitter.com/willsommer/statu...611671552?s=19

Investigation is linked to Roger Stone leaks.

ETA: FBI investigating Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman for potential witness tampering and obstruction of justice in the Roger Stone trial. https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/st...626208769?s=19

Last edited by Firestone; Yesterday at 01:26 PM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM   #264
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
"Ironically, Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman are facing a real FBI investigation just days after staging a fake, unrelated FBI raid on Burkman's house for media attention."

ETA: FBI investigating Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman for potential witness tampering and obstruction of justice in the Roger Stone trial. https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/st...626208769?s=19
Life imitating art (if you can call what these two dumb-***** do "art")

Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM   #265
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post

I suspect that what they're trying to do at this point is to get a high enough profile for Trump to pardon them.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:06 PM   #266
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Life imitating art (if you can call what these two dumb-***** do "art")
So, that photo...I don't want to be the guy who sees it everywhere, but seriously: is that a shirt a straight guy would wear?
Old Today, 12:53 AM   #267
gypsyjackson
Muse

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
So, that photo...I don't want to be the guy who sees it everywhere, but seriously: is that a shirt a straight guy would wear?
The blue and black striped thin hoody?
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics