ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump controversies

Old 18th September 2019, 08:08 AM   #81
slyjoe
Master Poster

And what do we do when he's out of office? What's to prevent him from sending MORE secrets to allies or enemies? I don't count on Republican senators to be queasy and even if they are they won't DO anything.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 08:19 AM   #82
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
And what do we do when he's out of office? What's to prevent him from sending MORE secrets to allies or enemies? I don't count on Republican senators to be queasy and even if they are they won't DO anything.
You can't count on anything aside from death and taxes. But my general appraisal is that when Trump is out of office, the GOP will go one of two ways.

1) We were always against him anyway! He's really a democrat, you know, friend of the Clintons! Look at this conspiracy theory!

In this case, they won't have any problem prosecuting him after office.

2) We go deeper into Trump style politics, in which case, Trump sharing some state secrets is very low on our list of active concerns.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 08:37 AM   #83
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump is no Kingmaker, simply because he doesn't want anyone else bu himself to be the King.
Once out of office, he might still go on promo-tours In Red States for one candidate or another (for the right price), but i don't see him shilling for a presidential candidate.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 08:38 AM   #84
slyjoe
Master Poster

I think it is more likely the GOP begins the "we aren't looking backwards, but forwards" spiel, and blaming democrats for the deficits. They never take responsibility for anything that might be perceived as negative.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 08:38 AM   #85
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I think it is more likely the GOP begins the "we aren't looking backwards, but forwards" spiel, and blaming democrats for the deficits. They never take responsibility for anything that might be perceived as negative.
Yea like with W.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 11:31 AM   #86
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Trump is no Kingmaker, simply because he doesn't want anyone else bu himself to be the King.
Once out of office, he might still go on promo-tours In Red States for one candidate or another (for the right price), but i don't see him shilling for a presidential candidate.
Ivanka.
Old 18th September 2019, 11:45 AM   #87
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Ivanka.
She would be good, but not as good as him. Don't believe me, ask him.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 01:10 PM   #88
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Though you're probably right, I think if senators were bothered by Trump's blabbermouth tendencies they would not make a lot of public pronouncements about it, so I wouldn't assume their lack of public criticism means everything's OK.

I used to kind of like Lindsey Graham but those days are long gone. Still, he squeaked a little about Trump's response to Iran shooting down a drone and I'm certain he knows far more than Trump does about national security.

I'm not sure the post-presidency Trump will have much to offer in terms of secrets. For one thing he bungles the facts so badly that depending on him for accurate intel would be stupid.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 04:35 PM   #89
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Though you're probably right, I think if senators were bothered by Trump's blabbermouth tendencies they would not make a lot of public pronouncements about it, so I wouldn't assume their lack of public criticism means everything's OK.

...snip
Maybe I'm a little jaded at this point, but Republican senators won't say anything negative about Trump. They are still afraid of his base, and their main purpose in life is to get re-elected.

Do you believe they are making private criticism? Talk is cheap - if you don't put pressure on him in public or do something actively in private, you are complicit. IMHO
Old 18th September 2019, 04:57 PM   #90
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
She would be good, but not as good as him. Don't believe me, ask him.
That's why after she's inaugurated in 2029 after his third term, he'll still sit in the oval office and make all the decisions.
Old 19th September 2019, 06:31 AM   #91
slyjoe
Master Poster

Trump tells reporters border wall is ‘wired’, immediately after army general asks him not to discuss in public.

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-tells-r...111903952.html
Old 19th September 2019, 06:38 AM   #92
Armitage72
Illuminator

Trump tells reporters border wall is ‘wired’, immediately after army general asks him not to discuss in public.

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-tells-r...111903952.html

Imagine him in the 1940s. "Normandy isn't going to know what hit it!!"
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 06:43 AM   #93
slyjoe
Master Poster

"And Japan better watch out for this yuuuuge weapon we have - kilotons in a single bomb!".
Old 19th September 2019, 07:12 AM   #94
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post

I used to kind of like Lindsey Graham but those days are long gone. Still, he squeaked a little about Trump's response to Iran shooting down a drone and I'm certain he knows far more than Trump does about national security.

I'm not sure the post-presidency Trump will have much to offer in terms of secrets. For one thing he bungles the facts so badly that depending on him for accurate intel would be stupid.
I don't see Graham's tweet as criticizing Trump necessarily. He called Trump's decision "measured". That is a positive term. He said that it was interpreted as a sign of weakness, not that it should have been interpreted thus nor that there was a better alternative.

Such nuance was, of course, lost on Trump.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2019, 10:56 AM   #95
CORed
Philosopher

Well, the good news is that he's not likely to remember any significant secrets for more than 30 minutes after he's out of office. Or his memory of them will be so muddled that he will actually be an effective disinformation agent.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2019, 11:24 AM   #96
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Time to bump this thread, this time with information relating to the Ukraine/impeachment inquiry...

From: https://www.newsweek.com/trump-giuli...nt-cia-1475868
Trump's alleged ongoing use of an unsecured phone line means his apparent calls with Rudy Giuliani were likely listened in on by Russian intelligence services...

A lot of this is circumstantial... no direct evidence that Russians listened in, just calls in various phone logs from an unsecured number, and testimony from people familiar with Trump indicating he often uses a personal cell phone because it won't be logged. Still, Trump hasn't given any reason to think he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2019, 03:15 PM   #97
Allen773
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Trump is definitely insecure.
You stole my joke.

Except it's not a joke.
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2019, 03:46 PM   #98
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Time to bump this thread, this time with information relating to the Ukraine/impeachment inquiry...

From: https://www.newsweek.com/trump-giuli...nt-cia-1475868
Trump's alleged ongoing use of an unsecured phone line means his apparent calls with Rudy Giuliani were likely listened in on by Russian intelligence services...

A lot of this is circumstantial... no direct evidence that Russians listened in, just calls in various phone logs from an unsecured number, and testimony from people familiar with Trump indicating he often uses a personal cell phone because it won't be logged. Still, Trump hasn't given any reason to think he deserves the benefit of the doubt.
...and every reason not to be given the benefit of the doubt.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2019, 08:43 PM   #99
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

At the moment, I don't think anybody's ruling out the possibility that "when he's out of office" might mean "when he died of old age a decade after cancelling the 2024 election."

At which point "what [edit] we do when he's out of office?" is "Continue to follow St Petersburg's orders."
Old 8th December 2019, 07:29 AM   #100
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Just finished the audio book of Proof of Conspiracy by Seth Abramson, and he brings this up, too. Whenever Trump is on the phone, you can bet all of America's rivals and enemies are listening in.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 01:27 PM   #101
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Another possible security breach by Trump....

From: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/14/warr...-iran-tip.html
Presidential contender Elizabeth Warren is demanding a federal investigation into whether President Donald Trump provided advance notice of the deadly strike on Iran’s Gen. Qasem Soleimani to stock traders who may have profited illegally from the tip....“If this report is true, it raises a number of troubling national security questions regarding President Trump’s handling of classified and other sensitive national security information”

But, but her emails!

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2020, 01:35 PM   #102
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

"I'm not saying, I'm just saying..."
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 03:31 AM   #103
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
I really keep thinking this thread should be titled "tRump's Insecurity Issues" because they're so unsurprisingly related.
Well said.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 05:25 AM   #104
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Another possible security breach by Trump....

From: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/14/warr...-iran-tip.html
Presidential contender Elizabeth Warren is demanding a federal investigation into whether President Donald Trump provided advance notice of the deadly strike on Iran’s Gen. Qasem Soleimani to stock traders who may have profited illegally from the tip....“If this report is true, it raises a number of troubling national security questions regarding President Trump’s handling of classified and other sensitive national security information”

But, but her emails!
to be fair, those big investors really, really Needed to know, in the interest of personal gain.
Old 15th January 2020, 11:19 AM   #105
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Imagine him in the 1940s. "Normandy isn't going to know what hit it!!"

At least de Gaulle only shared such things with his tailor.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2020, 07:17 AM   #106
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Time to dust off this thread...

Woodward's book (and the supporting audio recordings) has caused a lot of controversy with allegations that Trump downplayed Covid-19, but there were other issues as well:

President Trump openly bragged to Bob Woodward about a secret nuclear weapons system.... “I have built a nuclear—a weapons system that nobody’s ever had in this country before,” Trump said.

Ignoring the fact that Trump was making it sound like he was personally responsible (with the "I have built...")....

I'm surprised. Not that Trump has risked national security (again), but that he did so to an AMERICAN journalist. But I guess that's a step up from when he was bragging to Russian journalists before. See? He's a proud American.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 11th September 2020, 03:03 PM   #107
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Time to dust off this thread...

Woodward's book (and the supporting audio recordings) has caused a lot of controversy with allegationsTrump admitting on tape that Trump downplayed Covid-19, but there were other issues as well:

President Trump openly bragged to Bob Woodward about a secret nuclear weapons system.... “I have built a nuclear—a weapons system that nobody’s ever had in this country before,” Trump said.

Ignoring the fact that Trump was making it sound like he was personally responsible (with the "I have built...")....

I'm surprised. Not that Trump has risked national security (again), but that he did so to an AMERICAN journalist. But I guess that's a step up from when he was bragging to Russian journalists before. See? He's a proud American.
Fixed that for you.
As for the main content, wow. Just wow.
Old 16th September 2020, 04:45 AM   #108
Mader Levap
Muse

I find it interesting that only republican voice here was republican snowflake that whined about people being mean to his Fuhrer.

That's it. No disputing security problem allegations. Looks like other usual suspects wisely stayed out of this thread.
Old 16th September 2020, 05:00 AM   #109
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
I find it interesting that only republican voice here was republican snowflake that whined about people being mean to his Fuhrer.

That's it. No disputing security problem allegations. Looks like other usual suspects wisely stayed out of this thread.
Because nobody likes or supports Trump so they don't defend him. His only use is as a troll against the libs. The Trumpers generally don't feel a need to swoop in and defend his honor just for its own sake.

So when the question is only "Did he do something wrong?" there's rarely any discussion. Sure occasionally someone will treat the pure semantics as a chewtoy or do some bog standard contrarian routine, but it rarely it has the meat of a good "Is Trump finally bad enough?" thread which brings the troll army out in full force.

Long story short they are only care about Trump when he's "in our head, rent free."

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 16th September 2020 at 05:57 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 05:18 AM   #110
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

I'm of two minds. There's this "theory" that Trump is just this instrument they wield against the dumb liberals, like a rusty old tool you only use because it's all you have at the time, only to discard it the instant you get your hands on something better. The minute Trump loses the election (knock on wood), he will have outlived his usefulness, and they will abandon him.

Then there is the "Trump cult" theory, where his supporters really live in echo chambers where Trump really is portrayed as a competent person doing a good job.

I suppose the truth is there's Trump supporters in both categories, with some overlap. Lots of the supporters in the second category will probably cheer him on when he does things they dislike, just to troll the libs.

Then there are, I suppose, the people who are apalled by much of what Trump does, but plan to hold their nose and vote for him because he's for example the only one who stands between Good Christian America as we know it and the evils of globalism/communism/death of rural America/some other real or imagined peril, and they think that for all his faults, they need him.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 05:59 AM   #111
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
I'm of two minds. There's this "theory" that Trump is just this instrument they wield against the dumb liberals, like a rusty old tool you only use because it's all you have at the time, only to discard it the instant you get your hands on something better. The minute Trump loses the election (knock on wood), he will have outlived his usefulness, and they will abandon him.

Then there is the "Trump cult" theory, where his supporters really live in echo chambers where Trump really is portrayed as a competent person doing a good job.

I suppose the truth is there's Trump supporters in both categories, with some overlap. Lots of the supporters in the second category will probably cheer him on when he does things they dislike, just to troll the libs.

Then there are, I suppose, the people who are apalled by much of what Trump does, but plan to hold their nose and vote for him because he's for example the only one who stands between Good Christian America as we know it and the evils of globalism/communism/death of rural America/some other real or imagined peril, and they think that for all his faults, they need him.
IMO the vast majority of the 40%+ who still approve of President Trump's performance fall into the highlighted category

I would say that this is a damning indictment of the US electorate, but the UK is just as bad - if not worse - with our continued support of Boris Johnson's incompetent, corrupt government.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 06:09 AM   #112
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I don't think there's a difference between the Trump "LOL Lookit the triggered Libs hardy har" trolls and the "Trump is the last brick in the wall between real 'Murica and Godless communist deep state pedophile NWO socialism." except in the surface level minitua of how they rationalize it.

It's like the Trump True Believers can actually explain or articulate what he's supposed to be doing or make better anymore than the Trump Troller do.

"I like Trump being I enjoy seeing those sissy latte sipping libruls with their fancy book learning have steam come out of their ears" and "I'd rather Trump burn the country to the ground then see a Liberal President because no matter what Trump does a liberal would still be worse" are close enough for me to lump into the same category.
Old 16th September 2020, 09:23 AM   #113
rockysmith76
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I don't think there's a difference between the Trump "LOL Lookit the triggered Libs hardy har" trolls and the "Trump is the last brick in the wall between real 'Murica and Godless communist deep state pedophile NWO socialism." except in the surface level minitua of how they rationalize it.

It's like the Trump True Believers can actually explain or articulate what he's supposed to be doing or make better anymore than the Trump Troller do.

"I like Trump being I enjoy seeing those sissy latte sipping libruls with their fancy book learning have steam come out of their ears" and "I'd rather Trump burn the country to the ground then see a Liberal President because no matter what Trump does a liberal would still be worse" are close enough for me to lump into the same category.
There's certainly no differences for the blinder having leftists who think anyone who disagrees with them in the slightest way is a trumpkin. The trolling of the triggered is deserved.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2020, 05:02 AM   #114
Mader Levap
Muse

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
There's certainly no differences for the blinder having leftists who think anyone who disagrees with them in the slightest way is a trumpkin.
I note distinct lack of defense against allegation of security problems involving Trump.

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
The trolling of the triggered is deserved.
Oh, we already know for long time you are here just to troll and lie.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics