ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , joe biden , presidential candidates

Reply
Old 27th May 2020, 09:14 AM   #121
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 16,035
Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Quote:
I saw Biden getting interviewed by Dana Bash. He did a great job. He was on and stayed on message, hit Trump without sinking to his level, handled the question about his gaff over the weekend well. He looked like a strong candidate and moreover, he looked presidential.
Yes. There was no sign of the gaffes that he is so often accused of. And, what he said about Trump was right on. Yes, he looked presidential and in charge.
I suspect its that way for most politicians... 99% of what they do or say is perfectly fine, but because they are under constant media scrutiny, the 1% of what they say that is somehow wrong (a simple mistake, poor wording, a failed attempt at humor, stuff taken out of context, etc.) can get amplified, simply because its more interesting that the 99% of good stuff.

I suspect if someone analyzed everything Biden said over the course of a week, most of the stuff would seem perfectly normal. But the occasional slip-up (the type we all do) will get elevated in importance to the point where he is seen as 'gaffe-prone'.

Of course, Trump doesn't exactly fit in this pattern, because he seems to be incapable of giving even one short speech/presentation without lying, resorting to bigotry, or exposing is ignorance.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2020, 09:45 AM   #122
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 46,995
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
You do now. But, somehow...I don't think you did before.
Of course I knew before. This is hardly the first time I've linked to or referenced them for that purpose.
But it's hilarious that you're still clinging to this accusation, as if it didn't make sense to post that Bee link if I didn't know it was satire.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2020, 11:30 AM   #123
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 21,181
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Gretchen Whitmer's stock is pretty high right now. In spite of the Gravy SEALS protesting, she's seen her approval rating shoot way up. Governors who lead states through Covid-19 are a hot commodity right now and Biden would do well to bask in some of that reflected glory.
Despite NY being hit hard, Cuomo seems to be doing a good job of leading their response. But, I don't think that he brings many voters that aren't already with Biden.

Whitmer's husband pulled a pretty hard gaffe by trying to get his boat out of storage for the holiday weekend right after his wife plead with people to stay home. It's no Access Hollywood tape, but it makes him look a bit out of touch.
__________________
Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2020, 11:36 AM   #124
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 46,995
Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Despite NY being hit hard, Cuomo seems to be doing a good job of leading their response.
He isn't. The press is just carrying water for him. He's done a terrible job, and made outbreaks in nursing homes far worse.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2020, 11:52 AM   #125
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 21,094
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
He isn't. The press is just carrying water for him. He's done a terrible job, and made outbreaks in nursing homes far worse.
Trump made the outbreak on the planet worse. Cuomo knows how to handle this. He'll say that we made the best decisions we could with information available, own it, remind everyone that governing is hard and move on. Trump is doing him a solid on this. While the story could have had national legs for a while, Trump sucked up all the O2 by lying about a rival being suspected of murder and a few other tweet storms.
__________________
A MAGA hat = a Swastika arm band. A vote for Trump is a vote for treason.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2020, 12:01 PM   #126
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 15,361
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Dang. I was hoping we could play the Stacy Stacey Abrams thing straight for at least a couple weeks.

Talk about how she wants to be Veep and what she's doing to get the nod.

Talk about what her qualifications are and what electoral advantage she might bring to the campaign.

Talk about how she gets treated by other Democrats and the (non-satire) media.
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Stacy Stacey Abrams is too unattractive to be a running mate. Biden will probably go with Harris.
FTFY
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2020, 12:38 PM   #127
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 46,631
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
FTFY
I feel like that fix was more for you than for me.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2020, 12:42 PM   #128
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 46,995
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Trump made the outbreak on the planet worse. Cuomo knows how to handle this.
Then why did Cuomo send sick people back into nursing homes that were unequipped to handle them, putting some of the most vulnerable people at risk? If he knows how to handle this, then why did he **** up so badly? Was he trying to get old people killed?
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2020, 12:51 PM   #129
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 15,361
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I feel like that fix was more for you than for me.
I feel the need to respond to such a simple thing as correcting the spelling of Stacey Abram's name was more for you than me. I'll cede you the need to have the last word on this. Ciao.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2020, 03:39 PM   #130
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 21,094
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Then why did Cuomo send sick people back into nursing homes that were unequipped to handle them, putting some of the most vulnerable people at risk? If he knows how to handle this, then why did he **** up so badly? Was he trying to get old people killed?
I'm sure what he did was a mistake. However, the opportunity to dim Cuomo's star has passed. Trump needs to not look so inadequate as compared to the governors. He had an opportunity to bring Cuomo down because Trump is obviously not going to go up. That ship has sailed. The energy for that story when it would have been timely is gone.

When I said Cuomo knew how to handle this, I thought I was clear that he knows how to avoid political backlash over it. No one knew or now knows how to handle Covid 19. Some people like a few terrific governors lead even when there was no playbook. The made mistakes. Those mistakes cost lives. That what presidents and governors sign on for. That narrative beats Trump's "You should ingest bleach" and "I take no responsibility" narrative any day.
__________________
A MAGA hat = a Swastika arm band. A vote for Trump is a vote for treason.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 05:30 AM   #131
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 46,995
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
When I said Cuomo knew how to handle this, I thought I was clear that he knows how to avoid political backlash over it.
I love that you say the quiet parts out loud.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 07:43 AM   #132
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 21,094
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I love that you say the quiet parts out loud.
I'm sorry those people died. I'm sure Governor Cuomo is sorry they are dead. That happens in crises, it always happens in a crises. I have every confidence that he acted using the best information he had at the time and saved as many people as he could. I see no sense tarnishing Cuomo when it's vital for the good of the nation that Trump be defeated. Unfavorable comparisons to governors like Cuomo and Larry Hogan bring down Trump's approval rating. We can't let sentimentality get in the way of what's good for the country and what's good for the country is removing Trump.
__________________
A MAGA hat = a Swastika arm band. A vote for Trump is a vote for treason.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 10:06 AM   #133
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 46,995
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I'm sorry those people died. I'm sure Governor Cuomo is sorry they are dead. That happens in crises, it always happens in a crises. I have every confidence that he acted using the best information he had at the time and saved as many people as he could.
He didn't. His actions probably killed thousands, in a direct and easily forseeable way.

Quote:
I see no sense tarnishing Cuomo
Of course not. He's a Democrat. You have openly stated multiple times that you are in favor of lying for partisan advantage. The truth isn't relevant.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 01:28 PM   #134
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,088
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Stacy Abrams is too unattractive to be a running mate. Biden will probably go with Harris.
As terrible as it is on some level that will likely be a factor. With a few notable exceptions Democrats like our potential presidents to be good looking.
__________________
"Because WE ARE IGNORANT OF 911 FACTS, WE DEMAND PROOF" -- Douglas Herman on Rense.com
Zingiber Officinale

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 01:39 PM   #135
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,088
Also, prosecutors open probe into all the times Tara Reade lied under oath.
__________________
"Because WE ARE IGNORANT OF 911 FACTS, WE DEMAND PROOF" -- Douglas Herman on Rense.com
Zingiber Officinale

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 02:13 PM   #136
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 15,361
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Now, now, what does a history of lying under oath in court at least twice have to do with her credibility regarding lying? Stop smearing her character!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 02:40 PM   #137
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 46,631
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Now, now, what does a history of lying under oath in court at least twice have to do with her credibility regarding lying? Stop smearing her character! ; rolleyes :
Do you think someone should be convicted of rape only on the basis of the credibility of their accuser? (yes or no)

Do you think someone should be acquitted of rape only on the basis of the credibility of their accuser? (yes or no)
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 02:46 PM   #138
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Port Townsend, Washington
Posts: 28,996
Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Despite NY being hit hard, Cuomo seems to be doing a good job of leading their response. But, I don't think that he brings many voters that aren't already with Biden.

Whitmer's husband pulled a pretty hard gaffe by trying to get his boat out of storage for the holiday weekend right after his wife plead with people to stay home. It's no Access Hollywood tape, but it makes him look a bit out of touch.
I don't want Cuomo to be the Veep candidate, I want him to be the Presidential candidate. And this year, not in 2024.
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 03:20 PM   #139
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 15,361
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Do you think someone should be convicted of rape only on the basis of the credibility of their accuser? (yes or no)

Do you think someone should be acquitted of rape only on the basis of the credibility of their accuser? (yes or no)
Answered multiple times. Stop feigning ignorance. It's tiresome.

Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 03:36 PM   #140
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 7,827
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Do you think someone should be convicted of rape only on the basis of the credibility of their accuser? (yes or no)

Do you think someone should be acquitted of rape only on the basis of the credibility of their accuser? (yes or no)
You seem to be under the impression Reade made this accusation in a court of law. Even had she done so her credibility as an accuser would be questioned. However, Reade pointedly avoided any way in which Biden could be tried or convicted, so your questions are an attempt to make a moot point.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 04:13 PM   #141
Paul2
Philosopher
 
Paul2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,948
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Do you think someone should be convicted of rape only on the basis of the credibility of their accuser? (yes or no)

Do you think someone should be acquitted of rape only on the basis of the credibility of their accuser? (yes or no)
Of course, all the evidence - and just the evidence - should be considered, but evidence has to be evaluated, and a witnessís testimony without other corroboration -like a he said she said - is evidence for which the only way to evaluate it to judge the credibility of the witness.
__________________
It's nice to be nice to the nice.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 04:25 PM   #142
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 46,631
Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
Of course, all the evidence - and just the evidence - should be considered, but evidence has to be evaluated, and a witnessís testimony without other corroboration -like a he said she said - is evidence for which the only way to evaluate it to judge the credibility of the witness.
When there's no evidence, the accuser's credibility doesn't matter. You're not going to put someone in jail just because their accuser has a reputation for telling the truth.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 04:29 PM   #143
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 7,827
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
When there's no evidence, the accuser's credibility doesn't matter. You're not going to put someone in jail just because their accuser has a reputation for telling the truth.
Reade didn't make this accusation to put Biden in jail. Otherwise she would have named him in the police report.

You keep confusing Reade's accusation in the court of public opinion with an accusation in a court of law.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 04:38 PM   #144
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 46,631
Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Reade didn't make this accusation to put Biden in jail. Otherwise she would have named him in the police report.

You keep confusing Reade's accusation in the court of public opinion with an accusation in a court of law.
If Reade had a reputation for telling the truth, would you have believed Joe Biden raped her on that basis alone, absent any other evidence?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2020, 05:40 PM   #145
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 7,827
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
If Reade had a reputation for telling the truth, would you have believed Joe Biden raped her on that basis alone, absent any other evidence?
If everything about this situation was different, would you react differently? Deep point, dude.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 12:30 AM   #146
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 21,094
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
He didn't. His actions probably killed thousands, in a direct and easily forseeable way.



Of course not. He's a Democrat. You have openly stated multiple times that you are in favor of lying for partisan advantage. The truth isn't relevant.
Uranium One justifies anything and everything. The ends justify the means. Besides, we're only talking about Trump and Trump supporters. They aren't good enough to be treated honorably or with basic human dignity.
__________________
A MAGA hat = a Swastika arm band. A vote for Trump is a vote for treason.

Last edited by Craig4; 29th May 2020 at 12:32 AM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 02:30 AM   #147
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,998
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
THis one bothers me more than anything else. Posing as an expert witness when you aren't means that some people could require a retrial - potentially dragging victims through the process all over again.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 02:46 AM   #148
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 6,069
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
THis one bothers me more than anything else. Posing as an expert witness when you aren't means that some people could require a retrial - potentially dragging victims through the process all over again.
Perhaps. This is the US, it's not safe to assume a shaky conviction will result in retrial.
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 04:39 AM   #149
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 7,827
Looks like Klobuchar's chances of getting the VP spot may have dropped. Apparently she chose not to prosecute the Police Officer who murdered Floyd in a previous excessive force citation while she was the county attorney. Whether or not that action was justified, it will definitely cause Biden to lose votes if he picks her.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 04:40 AM   #150
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,463
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
If Reade had a reputation for telling the truth, would you have believed Joe Biden raped her on that basis alone, absent any other evidence?
For most people, I would think that the next step would be to evaluate whether there are any problems with the story. In this case, there are a number of holes - starting with her changing her story from Biden making her feel uncomfortable by touching her neck and hair to Biden assaulting her (and her brother forgetting to change his story to match hers) - that have only grown larger with time (e.g., other former Biden staff members stating that she wouldn't have been asked to serve drinks at a campaign fundraiser).
__________________
"Facts are stupid things."
Ronald Reagan


TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 05:05 AM   #151
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 46,631
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
As terrible as it is on some level that will likely be a factor. With a few notable exceptions Democrats like our potential presidents to be good looking.
Biden isn't picking his VP to get Democrat votes, though. Is he? I thought the whole premise of this election was that this is one demographic he's already got sewn up.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 05:08 AM   #152
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 46,631
Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
For most people, I would think that the next step would be to evaluate whether there are any problems with the story.
Isn't the biggest problem with the story that it has no evidence?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 05:24 AM   #153
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,463
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Isn't the biggest problem with the story that it has no evidence?
The biggest problem with the story is that it requires too many coincidences and unusual events. Some might claim that there is evidence: that she told several people about an assault within a few years afterwards (I think that it is highly questionable that she did so).
__________________
"Facts are stupid things."
Ronald Reagan



Last edited by TellyKNeasuss; 29th May 2020 at 05:26 AM.
TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 05:29 AM   #154
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 7,827
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Isn't the biggest problem with the story that it has no evidence?
Many stories have no evidence, yet somehow we're able to respond to them.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 05:30 AM   #155
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 46,631
Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
The biggest problem with the story is that it requires too many coincidences and unusual events. Some might claim that there is evidence: that she told several people about an assault within a few years afterwards (I think that it is highly questionable that she did so).
Who is your intended audience, for this appeal to incredulity? I hope it's not me.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 05:33 AM   #156
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 46,631
Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Many stories have no evidence, yet somehow we're able to respond to them.
Clearly some of us are able to respond ad infinitum. What is it about this story that makes you feel like you haven't yet responded enough?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 05:35 AM   #157
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 7,827
Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
The biggest problem with the story is that it requires too many coincidences and unusual events. Some might claim that there is evidence: that she told several people about an assault within a few years afterwards (I think that it is highly questionable that she did so).
Of the 3 people now claiming that she did tell them years ago, 2 have completely changed their stories (both were consistent with Reade's claim that it was not sexual up until a month or so ago, now both are consistent with the claim that it was sexual assault). The third didn't even remember until Reade called her to remind her. It's not difficult for skilled con artists to make people remember things that didn't happen, or alter key details in a distant memory. At least one witness (in the NPR article iirc) claimed that she felt Reade was attempting to use her in that manner.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 05:37 AM   #158
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 7,827
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Clearly some of us are able to respond ad infinitum. What is it about this story that makes you feel like you haven't yet responded enough?
Hmmm, deep thoughts again! Tell you what, what is it about this story that makes you feel you haven't commented enough? You certainly aren't treading new ground in your arguments.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 05:50 AM   #159
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 57,135
Perhaps it's time for a moderator to split this thread, so those who want to have their self-described infinite argument over Reade's credibility can troll each other elsewhere? It's obvious none of those involved are ever going to move on from that subtopic, and their childish exchange is preventing everybody else from discussing the topic. Which is Biden, not the nature of credibility or other posters' feelings on the nature of belief.
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2020, 05:56 AM   #160
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 46,631
Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Hmmm, deep thoughts again! Tell you what, what is it about this story that makes you feel you haven't commented enough? You certainly aren't treading new ground in your arguments.
Seriously, you'll be going to the polls in 2024 saying, "Abrams for president, and Reade can't be trusted." Like a modern Scipio, except Scipio had more of a point.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:51 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.