ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , Mary Trump , presidential candidates , Trump controversies

Old 8th July 2020, 01:33 PM   #81
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Any indication that this book is moving the needle on public perception of Trump?

Seems like catnip for people who already take a dim view of the man, and something easily ignored by his supporters.
Trump's supporters are very adept at ignoring so many disgusting things about him.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2020, 01:37 PM   #82
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Probably a gesture to Donald, who doesn't have one.
Well played.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2020, 01:40 PM   #83
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
The people with no souls are the ones who feel cheated out of an inheritance. You cannot be cheated out of something that was never yours to begin with.
That's ludicrous. If your siblings talked your father with dementia into removing you and/or your children from his will while dividing the money between themselves, do not even try and tell me you wouldn't feel cheated.
Old 8th July 2020, 01:45 PM   #84
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
That's ludicrous. If your siblings talked your father with dementia into removing you and/or your children from his will while dividing the money between themselves, do not even try and tell me you wouldn't feel cheated.
I would not feel cheated. It isn't my money to decide what to do with. I don't go around telling people how to spend their money.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2020, 01:52 PM   #85
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I would not feel cheated. It isn't my money to decide what to do with. I don't go around telling people how to spend their money.
Sure. And Donald Trump isn't a pathologic liar and narcissist.
Old 8th July 2020, 01:58 PM   #86
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Sure. And Donald Trump isn't a pathologic liar and narcissist.
I guess your position is easier than accepting someone has a different view of the world from you.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2020, 02:03 PM   #87
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

You don't seem to grasp that Fred Sr. was dying with dementia. He wasn't deciding much of anything. His previous wills treated his children equally.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2020, 02:06 PM   #88
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
You don't seem to grasp that Fred Sr. was dying with dementia. He wasn't deciding much of anything.
Doesn't matter. It is his money. It is his money to decide in whatever mental state he is.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 8th July 2020 at 02:07 PM.
Old 8th July 2020, 02:18 PM   #89
crescent
Illuminator

Doesn't matter. It is his money. It is his money to decide in whatever mental state he is.
And then, a bit later when he was no longer capable of making decisions anymore, someone else changed the will. You don't seem to be willing to understand that.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2020, 02:23 PM   #90
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
And then, a bit later when he was no longer capable of making decisions anymore, someone else changed the will. You don't seem to be willing to understand that.
He was capable enough. Unless you allege a signature was forged, those are the choices Fred set in motion for his decision making process earlier in his life. That is the method he adopted.
Old 8th July 2020, 02:45 PM   #91
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I guess your position is easier than accepting someone has a different view of the world from you.
It wasn't Donald's money to spend. It was his father's. Until, of course, Donald manipulated his dementia afflicted father into cutting out Fred Jr. and, to a large part, his children.

Somehow, I just find it more than unlikely that you wouldn't have a problem with that.
Old 8th July 2020, 02:48 PM   #92
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

It wasn't Donald's money to spend. It was his father's. Until, of course, Donald manipulated his dementia afflicted father into cutting out Fred Jr. and, to a large part, his children.

Somehow, I just find it more than unlikely that you wouldn't have a problem with that.
That was the process Fred trump set up for himself. If he didn't want Donald making those decisions in a future state of diminishment, he had plenty of lawyers.
Old 8th July 2020, 02:49 PM   #93
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

He was capable enough. Unless you allege a signature was forged, those are the choices Fred set in motion for his decision making process earlier in his life. That is the method he adopted.
You are making assumptions. You don't know what he was mentally capable of at that point. But I think we know exactly what Donnie was capable of.
Old 8th July 2020, 02:50 PM   #94
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

You are making assumptions. You don't know what he was mentally capable of at that point. But I think we know exactly what Donnie was capable of.
By capable enough, I mean he took actions before his dementia that established that the decision making process hat occurred would occur.
Old 8th July 2020, 02:56 PM   #95
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Any indication that this book is moving the needle on public perception of Trump?

Seems like catnip for people who already take a dim view of the man, and something easily ignored by his supporters.
The way I see it, the book itself won't actually change people's perceptions of Trump.

I think the way it can hurt Trump is:
- The way Trump responds. He's unstable. Something like the book might cause him to make more mistakes that cost him politically
- The book might contain leads that news organizations (or even prosecutors) that could be damaging down the road.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2020, 02:59 PM   #96
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
The way I see it, the book itself won't actually change people's perceptions of Trump.

I think the way it can hurt Trump is:
- The way Trump responds. He's unstable.
"FAKE NEWS! Lying Mary said I looked bad at Thanksgiving when I dressed as an adult baby! TOTAL LIES!! It was XMAS and I looked GREAT! SEE?" [photo of Trump dressed as adult baby]
Old 8th July 2020, 03:01 PM   #97
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

By capable enough, I mean he took actions before his dementia that established that the decision making process hat occurred would occur.
Dementia is progressive and erratic. My grandmother was great some days and couldn't figure out how to turn the TV on other days or remember if she'd had breakfast. On one bad day, a "lawyer" sold her a 20 year annuity. She was 83 and thought he was a lawyer when he was a salesman. No one in their right mind buys a 20 year annuity at 83 years of age. We only found out about it after it was too late. We lived in a different state and had no idea how bad she'd become but that incident is what made my parents move her in with them and to get POA over her finances.

Knowing what a full fledged turd Donnie is, it would not surprise me in the least that he would take advantage of a 'bad day' for his father.

And I just don't believe for one second you'd be fine with a sibling doing to you what Donnie did to his brother.
Old 8th July 2020, 03:07 PM   #98
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Dementia is progressive and erratic. My grandmother was great some days and couldn't figure out how to turn the TV on other days or remember if she'd had breakfast. On one bad day, a "lawyer" sold her a 20 year annuity. She was 83 and thought he was a lawyer when he was a salesman. No one in their right mind buys a 20 year annuity at 83 years of age. We only found out about it after it was too late. We lived in a different state and had no idea how bad she'd become but that incident is what made my parents move her in with them and to get POA over her finances.

Knowing what a full fledged turd Donnie is, it would not surprise me in the least that he would take advantage of a 'bad day' for his father.

And I just don't believe for one second you'd be fine with a sibling doing to you what Donnie did to his brother.
That was the decision making process settled on in the decades without dementia.
Old 8th July 2020, 03:14 PM   #99
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
President Donald Trump tried to rewrite his father's will in 1990 to strengthen his position as the only person to inherit his father's estate, according to a bombshell New York Times report about Trump's and his family's tax practices.

But Fred Trump foiled the attempt, as he feared his son could strip his estate and use it to rescue his own failing businesses, The Times reported, citing depositions and other documents it obtained.

Donald Trump had sent his father a document that would make him the sole executor of the estate and protect his portion of his inheritance from creditors and his impending divorce settlement, according to the report.

Fred Trump, then 85, had not seen the document before but was instructed to sign immediately, The Times reported. He saw the move as an attempt to go behind his back.

He showed the document to his daughter Maryanne Trump Barry, a federal judge at the time. She recalled in her deposition that he told her, "This doesn't pass the smell test," The Times reported.

Then Fred Trump had lawyers draft new documents stripping his son of sole control of the estate. Notes from those lawyers cited by The Times show that Fred Trump's instructions were to "protect assets from DJT, Donald's creditors."
https://www.businessinsider.com/nyt-...p-will-2018-10
Old 8th July 2020, 03:22 PM   #100
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think the book will significantly harm Trump's election chances. Very few minds are going to be changed. But those that are changed will be away from Trump, so it won't do him any good.
Old 8th July 2020, 03:26 PM   #101
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump has always been a petty vindictive man, even taking it out on a sick child. Note that the will was changed while Fred Sr. had dementia:

Quote:
When Donald Trump’s father, Fred Sr., died in 1999, the roughly $20 million inheritance was divided up among his children and their descendants, “other than my son Fred C. Trump Jr.,” according to the Times.

Donald Trump had helped draft the will. At the time, Freddy Trump’s children sued, claiming Donald Trump and his siblings had used “undue influence” over their grandfather, who had dementia.

Donald retaliated by withdrawing the medical benefits he had promised to his nephew’s infant son, who suffered from seizures that led to cerebral palsy, according to the Times.

“I was angry because they sued,” Trump told the Times. The suit was settled “very amicably,” he added.
https://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box...d-his-brothers
Old 8th July 2020, 03:35 PM   #102
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

That's an eye opener. And stuff I didn't know before.

Found this in Mother Jones.
Quote:
(Mary did sign a non-disclosure statement in 2001 as part of the settlement of the lawsuit regarding her grandfather’s estate.)
I had wondered how the lawsuit went.

Quote:
When the New York Times published a bombshell article in October 2018 revealing that Donald Trump and his family had engaged in massive tax fraud to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars, I emailed Mary. She agreed it was a stunning story but didn’t say much else. I suspected she knew more. But I didn’t guess she was deeply involved. In her book, she describes how she had retrieved loads of family tax records from the documents involved in her lawsuit over Fred Trump’s estate and handed them over to the Times reporters, who had come knocking on her door.
No wonder there is a criminal case in NY. Some of that was disclosed with his sales tax scams, sending empty boxes.

I do hope the incoming administration has the guts to prosecute Trump. Unlike Obama quashing any prosecution of Bush lying the American public into war, this time it's corruption and that's a different category.

You can bet Trump will try to pardon himself of all past crimes during his Lame Duck month. He'll probably die before the SCOTUS case is decided.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 8th July 2020 at 03:38 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2020, 03:55 PM   #103
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
This article has a few more assertions from the book.

Perhaps the least surprising is that Trump once complimented Mary's boobs. He's said the same (and worse) in public about his daughter, so why wouldn't he say the same in private about his niece?
There's a lot of interesting stuff in there. What a horrible person:
Quote:
One year, Donald and his first wife, Ivana Trump, gave the young Mary a single gold lamé shoe, its heel filled with hard candy.

“Where had this thing come from?” Mary writes. “Had it been a door prize or a party favour from a luncheon?

“Donald came through the pantry from the kitchen. As he passed me, he asked, ‘What’s that?’

“It’s a present from you.”

Mary Trump also says that in 1977, when she was 12, her Christmas present from Donald and Ivana was a $12 pack of underwear. Her brother got a leather-bound journal, two years out of date. Later, Mary received a Cellophaned gift basket, “an obvious regift” containing olives and a salami but not one evidently removed item, which a cousin said was “probably caviar”.
You'd think his wife (any of them) would have bought the kids some decent gifts despite Trump. Or maybe said wives picked out the gifts.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2020, 04:29 PM   #104
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Why would any of his wives have cared about his relatives while he was cheating on them?
Old 8th July 2020, 04:51 PM   #105
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
There's a lot of interesting stuff in there. What a horrible person:You'd think his wife (any of them) would have bought the kids some decent gifts despite Trump. Or maybe said wives picked out the gifts.
This is the way of Donald Trump. It isn't enough to ignore you and just not send you a gift. He has to send you something small and of little worth, to remind you that YOU are small and of little worth in his eyes.
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2020, 05:08 PM   #106
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
This is the way of Donald Trump. It isn't enough to ignore you and just not send you a gift. He has to send you something small and of little worth, to remind you that YOU are small and of little worth in his eyes.
Or less.

Ever see this story Charlie Sheen told about Trump?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 8th July 2020, 05:23 PM   #107
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Or less.

Ever see this story Charlie Sheen told about Trump?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Good gravy, he's almost as difficult to watch as Trump himself. The enemy of my enemy turns me off just as much as the latter enemy.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2020, 05:36 PM   #108
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Good gravy, he's almost as difficult to watch as Trump himself. The enemy of my enemy turns me off just as much as the latter enemy.
Charlie is a major narcissist as well. But he still isn't in Trump's league. Except for that period when he blew up his career.

Remember this?

Winning!

Charlie at least has drugs and alcohol as a reason for his insanity
Old 8th July 2020, 06:09 PM   #109
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Charlie is a major narcissist as well. But he still isn't in Trump's league. Except for that period when he blew up his career.

Remember this?

Winning!

Charlie at least has drugs and alcohol as a reason for his insanity
Oh, I remember. I still thought I could make it through an amusing Trump **** gift anecdote without wanting to smash something. Fortunately, I am able to leave my wants unfulfilled. I really can't afford to be smashing things.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2020, 06:48 PM   #110
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Oh, I remember. I still thought I could make it through an amusing Trump **** gift anecdote without wanting to smash something. Fortunately, I am able to leave my wants unfulfilled. I really can't afford to be smashing things.
I at one time liked Charlie. (as an actor). As a human being he turned into a sleazeball. But that is what an insane amount of money and celebrity can do to a person.

His dad is a good man....for a Catholic.
Old 8th July 2020, 11:02 PM   #111
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
It's like leaving a waiter a penny as a tip; it's a statement.
Old 8th July 2020, 11:41 PM   #112
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Trump's supporters are very adept at ignoring so many disgusting things about him.
They actually admire those things.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2020, 02:18 AM   #113
Belz...
Fiend God

Well, supporters tend to be like that. Cultists, even more so.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2020, 02:20 AM   #114
Belz...
Fiend God

I would've struck him from the will entirely.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2020, 02:37 PM   #115
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I would've struck him from the will entirely.
I would have, too. He showed himself to be a dishonest man who would screw over his own father in order to benefit himself.

Comes as no surprise to me. If Trump had been on the Titanic, he would have dressed as a woman, shoved his wife and own children aside, and taken a seat in the last lifeboat.
Old 9th July 2020, 05:57 PM   #116
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I would have, too. He showed himself to be a dishonest man who would screw over his own father in order to benefit himself.

Comes as no surprise to me. If Trump had been on the Titanic, he would have dressed as a woman, shoved his wife and own children aside, and taken a seat in the last lifeboat.
After boring holes in all the other lifeboats to make his own that much more valuable.
Old 9th July 2020, 08:39 PM   #117
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

No. He would have been in the first lifeboat, and he would have tried to keep everybody else out.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2020, 09:21 PM   #118
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

No. He would have been in the first lifeboat, and he would have tried to keep everybody else out.
and his supporters would still be in the Titanic because Trump told them it was just a small leak even though they see the ship sinking with their own eyes.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.

Last edited by thaiboxerken; 9th July 2020 at 09:26 PM.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2020, 05:56 AM   #119
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

But first, he would have fired the Captain.
Old 10th July 2020, 07:56 AM   #120
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
But first, he would have fired the Captain.
He wasn't really the Captain, he just made coffee, and Trump never met him. Those photos of them together and the video of Trump saying what a great captain he is are fake news.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics