ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , Mary Trump , presidential candidates , Trump controversies

Old 15th July 2020, 12:31 PM   #241
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It's a compelling metaphor, but I feel like if you're waiting until three and a half years into his presidency to make your move, you're probably doing it wrong. This should probably have been one of those "let's destroy this Death Star before it's completed" kind of scenario. Where was she in 2016? The sad truth is that no matter how much psychology Mary Trump's book contains, Hillary Clinton will still never be president.
Originally Posted by [HILITE
Craig4[/hilite];13157333]She mentions that early on. She thought he was too stupid to win more or less. It makes more sense to wait until the next election to do the most damage. She should have spoken out earlier but she's not the only one who didn't think 80,000 morons would betray their country and put that thing in the White House.
Stacyh[/hilite]s;13157564]No one thought Trump was going to win in 2016...not even Trump. Why on earth should Mary Trump have come forward then? Speaking up after his election but long before the Nov. 2020 election would also have been a waste of time because people have very short memories. MT's book has absolutely nothing to do with Hillary Clinton being/not being president and why you would even suggest it does is more a comment on your thinking than Mary Trump's.
llwyd[/hilite];13157591]Yeah, I like the timing. In 2016 no-one really believed it was possible, I remember thinking that what the hell is wrong with the people for him getting maybe even as much as 45% of the vote... Anway, this is the time for it to do maximum damage. Maybe it won't amount to much in the end but every little helps
theprestige[/hilite];13157827]Enh. It's kind of a cometary orbit, for me. Spends most of its time out of sight and out of mind, but occasionally swings into view for a moment.

Anyway, Mary is saying that she's here with her book to stop Trump from destroying the country. Leaving aside the fact that nobody who matters to that goal is actually going to read the thing, don't you think the time for her to stop Trump would have been about four years ago?

And don't you think it's weird that you're calling out references to Hillary Clinton, in the context of the 2016 US presidential elections? I'm not saying you have to think about her defeat by Donald Trump *all* the time. But shouldn't it at least cross your mind when it's the actual thing being talked about?
I was literally talking about the 2016 elections. The elections she could have influenced, had she published earlier. The elections Hillary lost. Thus the reference to Hillary losing them. If that reference feels like a jab... Perhaps it's better not to personalize this too much.
Both you and Craig4 gave the same answer while I was asleep. From my perspective, both answers came in simultaneously. You find it suspicious that I conceded the point in response to your post instead of Craig's?

The truth is, I read both posts in rapid succession. Craig's post was still percolating when your post reinforced the argument. After giving it a little more thought, I decided the right thing to do was concede the point and let you know. Now I'm beginning to wonder why I bothered.

No good deed goes unpunished, I guess.
Nope. Three of us gave the same explanation and you still asked "don't you think the time for her to stop Trump would have been about four years ago?"

Like I said, it made sense the first time...and the second time...and the third time... and you still asked the same question so don't give me this cock and bull story about sleeping and percolating.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2020, 12:53 PM   #242
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Nope. Three of us gave the same explanation and you still asked "don't you think the time for her to stop Trump would have been about four years ago?"

Like I said, it made sense the first time...and the second time...and the third time... and you still asked the same question so don't give me this cock and bull story about sleeping and percolating.
My bad. I misremembered the timing on that post, ETA: I take that back. I was responding to a post from Belz... that precedes the arguments from Craig, Ilwyd, and you. I customarily respond to posts in the order I encounter them, rather than reading through to the end of the thread, and that's what you see here. I address Belz's post according to my thinking at the time, and then I continue reading and address your post according to the change you caused in my thinking after I'd responded to Belz... So my recollection of the timing is accurate, and your timeline misrepresents my actual process.

and missed Ilwyd's contribution entirely. Sorry about that, Ilwyd!

Anyway, my obvious deficiencies aside, the fact remains that I think you and Craig and Ilwyd are right about this, and that I was wrong.

You're putting a lot of effort into discrediting the idea that I actually agree with you about something. Is this really a hill you want to die on?

Too bad Mary Trump didn't think to denounce The Donald decades ago, and save us all from The Apprentice. But how was she to know how much damage a TV celebrity could do to the country?

Last edited by theprestige; 15th July 2020 at 01:01 PM.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2020, 01:04 PM   #243
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

My bad. I misremembered the timing on that post, and missed Ilwyd's contribution entirely. Sorry about that, Ilwyd!

Anyway, my obvious deficiencies aside, the fact remains that I think you and Craig and Ilwyd are right about this, and that I was wrong.

You're putting a lot of effort into discrediting the idea that I actually agree with you about something. Is this really a hill you want to die on?

Too bad Mary Trump didn't think to denounce The Donald decades ago, and save us all from The Apprentice. But how was she to know how much damage a TV celebrity could do to the country?
Do you think that neither I nor the other posters can't see through your ridiculous attempt to twist the truth here? Just stop. I'm not the one taking a stand on a ridiculous hill here. I accept that you now understand why MT didn't say anything in 2016; it's your excuse as to why you kept asking the same question after having it answered that I called out. Let it go.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2020, 01:20 PM   #244
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Do you think that neither I nor the other posters can't see through your ridiculous attempt to twist the truth here? Just stop. I'm not the one taking a stand on a ridiculous hill here. I accept that you now understand why MT didn't say anything in 2016; it's your excuse as to why you kept asking the same question after having it answered that I called out. Let it go.
I replied to Belz... before I got to your answers. Why is this so hard for you to accept? Why is this an argument you're still trying to win?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2020, 01:34 PM   #245
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I replied to Belz... before I got to your answers. Why is this so hard for you to accept? Why is this an argument you're still trying to win?
I did win it. Why is this so hard for you to accept? Now, as usual, I'll say no more about this and concede the last word to you since you seem to need it much more than I do. Have at it.
Old 15th July 2020, 01:45 PM   #246
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Lordy, any more displays of toxic egotism and it'll spur Mary Trump to write another book.
Old 15th July 2020, 02:33 PM   #247
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Lordy, any more displays of toxic egotism and it'll spur Mary Trump to write another book.
She'll have to wait until the next election, though.
Old 15th July 2020, 03:12 PM   #248
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
I just finished the book, and I agree with you.

I can't, off the top of my head, recall reading anything shocking or salacious that hadn't already trickled out ahead of publication.

Reading the book will provide much more background on the family as a whole (indeed about the first half of the book does not highlight Donald more than it does any other family member--except for perhaps, Fred Trump). The juicy bits have already been shared. Not to say there is no reason to purchase the book. Even though I learned little new information, I still view buying the book as some tiny thumb in the eye of Donald Trump. Silly, I know.
So no "professional opinion" of Donald Trump's mental state on offer?
Old 15th July 2020, 03:19 PM   #249
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe "unearned confidence" or "hubris" is a better term.

Anyway, I'm not following the "Senators" metaphor. Who are they supposed to represent, in the current situation?

And if it doesn't stop Trump from destroying the country, who cares if it hurts him? Millions dead, but at least Trump is a little bit unhappier than he otherwise might have been? That's a weird ethical calculus, even in the context of the weird ethical calculus you're already pushing.

So much for her credentials as a psychologist giving her a unique and valuable insight into the man.

I wonder what you think the Venn diagram looks like, of people whose change of mind will matter in this election, and people who will read this book and have their mind changed prior to this election.

I think it's probably a pretty small overlap. I think the vast majority of people who are going to read this book have already made up their minds who they're going to vote for. And the way electoral demographics work, most of those votes are a given anyway.

And I think most of the swing voters who are going to read this book have also already made up their minds as well. I doubt there are very many voters at all whose lives are so finely balanced on the points of economics, social justice, and public health, that their vote can be tipped by this book. Maybe you *should* care if she's arrogant, if it leads to misplaced confidence. There's a whole pandemic out there, touching the lives of millions of Americans, and you think this book is going to make a difference?

At least Caesar had a countable number of stab wounds, degrees of injury that could be observed and measured. The damage to his life could be calculated from the blows received. You've got this imaginary world where all these little blows are doing all these little hurts to Donald Trump. You tell yourself that even though you can't see them, they must be happening. And maybe you think you have to settle for those imagined cuts. But Mary Trump doesn't think she has to settle for that. Mary Trump has set her sights much higher. Mary Trump is going to save the country.

And she's going to do it with this book.
Okay, just for you, Roman History 101. It was Senators who killed Caesar, each one stabbing him once. I would have thought that would have been obvious but I'm happy to spell it for the less educated.
Old 15th July 2020, 03:29 PM   #250
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Okay, just for you, Roman History 101. It was Senators who killed Caesar, each one stabbing him once.
And that was the end of that, completely solving the risk of Rome falling under the tyranny of a single individual being in charge!
Old 15th July 2020, 04:23 PM   #251
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Let's not jump to conclusions. Dmaker graciously gave a brief review of the book. He's not obligated to address whatever bugbear you or I may have in mind.
Old 15th July 2020, 04:35 PM   #252
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Okay, just for you, Roman History 101. It was Senators who killed Caesar, each one stabbing him once.<misguided personal attack snipped>
So much for the historical situation. Now go back, re-read my post for comprehension, and tell me what they're supposed to represent in the current situation.
Old 15th July 2020, 06:36 PM   #253
dmaker
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Not really, no. For a book written by a phd, it reads more like a memoir and less like something more dry and academic. She does talk about emotional nourishment that parents should give to children and how Donald did not get that, but I think she carefully (and deliberately) side steps anything close to a clinical diagnosis.

Stylistically, I believe this was a good choice. This book is not scholarship.

Last edited by dmaker; 15th July 2020 at 06:39 PM.
dmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2020, 07:18 PM   #254
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

A detailed review of the book includes this:
Quote:
What I expected least of all, however, was the most convincingly empathetic chronicle of Donald Trump I’d ever read.
https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...-of-trump-is-i

Maybe her training gives her a deeper understanding of the forces that created him.

Perhaps more illustrative, from another review:
Quote:
The president’s life story is narrow, provincial and grim — a joyless grind of fraud and cruelty evoked not by the gruesome glitz of Trump Tower but by the dreary Trump apartment Mary lived in as a child with her mother and father, Linda and Freddy Trump. Sloppily installed air conditioners rotted the drywall, and no amount of plastic sheeting could keep out the bitter wind; Trump Management, run by Freddy’s father Fred and brother Donald, refused to fix it.
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...d-never-enough
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2020, 11:15 PM   #255
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
The president’s life story is narrow, provincial and grim — a joyless grind of fraud and cruelty evoked not by the gruesome glitz of Trump Tower but by the dreary Trump apartment Mary lived in as a child with her mother and father, Linda and Freddy Trump. Sloppily installed air conditioners rotted the drywall, and no amount of plastic sheeting could keep out the bitter wind; Trump Management, run by Freddy’s father Fred and brother Donald, refused to fix it.
Why doesn't that surprise me?
Old 16th July 2020, 07:37 AM   #256
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

M. Trump starts giving interviews:
Quote:
Now, however, she is hoping the fortuitous timing of her book — which was originally scheduled for release in April — could help impact the November election. And either way, she said she wants to feel like she did her small part to warn the nation about what she views as the dangers of her uncle.

“I’d seen enough in the last few years to know that no one thing is going to make a bit of difference,” she said. “This is going to be — using the expression loosely — death by a thousand lashes, right, and maybe in this case it’s going take a million lashes, so it’s more about adding to the record of egregious things that have happened and for which there has been no accountability.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...953_story.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2020, 02:26 PM   #257
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

An interesting part of MT's book on Trump's psychology:

Quote:
In the last three years, I’ve watched as countless pundits, armchair
psychologists, and journalists have kept missing the mark, using phrases
such as “malignant narcissism” and “narcissistic personality disorder” in
an attempt to make sense of Donald’s often bizarre and self-defeating
behavior. I have no problem calling Donald a narcissist—he meets all nine
criteria as outlined in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental
Disorders (DSM-5)—but the label gets us only so far.

I received my PhD in clinical psychology from the Derner Institute of
Advanced Psychological Studies, and while doing research for my
dissertation I spent a year working on the admissions ward of Manhattan
Psychiatric Center, a state facility, where we diagnosed, evaluated, and
treated some of the sickest, most vulnerable patients. In addition to
teaching graduate psychology, including courses in trauma,
psychopathology, and developmental psychology, for several years as an
adjunct professor, I provided therapy and psychological testing for
patients at a community clinic specializing in addictions.

Those experiences showed me time and again that diagnosis doesn’t
exist in a vacuum. Does Donald have other symptoms we aren’t aware of?
Are there other disorders that might have as much or more explanatory
power? Maybe. A case could be made that he also meets the criteria for
antisocial personality disorder, which in its most severe form is generally
considered sociopathy but can also refer to chronic criminality, arrogance,
and disregard for the rights of others. Is there comorbidity? Probably.
Donald may also meet some of the criteria for dependent personality
disorder, the hallmarks of which include an inability to make decisions or
take responsibility, discomfort with being alone, and going to excessive
lengths to obtain support from others.
Are there other factors that should
be considered? Absolutely. He may have a long undiagnosed learning
disability that for decades has interfered with his ability to process
information.
Also, he is alleged to drink upward of twelve Diet Cokes a
day and sleep very little. Does he suffer from a substance- (in this case
caffeine-) induced sleep disorder? He has a horrible diet and does not
exercise, which may contribute to or exacerbate his other possible
disorders.

The fact is, Donald’s pathologies are so complex and his behaviors so
often inexplicable that coming up with an accurate and comprehensive
diagnosis would require a full battery of psychological and
neuropsychological tests that he’ll never sit for.
At this point, we can’t
evaluate his day-to-day functioning because he is, in the West Wing,
essentially institutionalized. Donald has been institutionalized for most of
his adult life, so there is no way to know how he would thrive, or even
survive, on his own in the real world.
I find it interesting that Mary T also suspects T has an undiagnosed learning disorder in processing information which is what I've commented on many times before: he cannot process what he reads.
Old 16th July 2020, 02:31 PM   #258
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

More from her book:

Quote:
Many, but by no means all of us, have been shielded until now from the
worst effects of his pathologies by a stable economy and a lack of serious
crises. But the out-of-control COVID-19 pandemic, the possibility of an
economic depression, deepening social divides along political lines thanks
to Donald’s penchant for division, and devastating uncertainty about our
country’s future have created a perfect storm of catastrophes that no one is
less equipped than my uncle to manage. Doing so would require courage,
strength of character, deference to experts, and the confidence to take
responsibility and to course correct after admitting mistakes. His ability to
control unfavorable situations by lying, spinning, and obfuscating has
diminished to the point of impotence in the midst of the tragedies we are
currently facing. His egregious and arguably intentional mishandling of
the current catastrophe has led to a level of pushback and scrutiny that he’s
never experienced before, increasing his belligerence and need for petty
revenge as he withholds vital funding, personal protective equipment, and
ventilators that your tax dollars have paid for from states whose governors
don’t kiss his ass sufficiently.
We've all seen exactly what she's talking about.
Old 16th July 2020, 02:38 PM   #259
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

More from the book:
Quote:
No one knows how Donald came to be who he is better than his own
family. Unfortunately, almost all of them remain silent out of loyalty or
fear. I’m not hindered by either of those. In addition to the firsthand
accounts I can give as my father’s daughter and my uncle’s only niece, I
have the perspective of a trained clinical psychologist. Too Much and
Never Enough is the story of the most visible and powerful family in the
world. And I am the only Trump who is willing to tell it.

I hope this book will end the practice of referring to Donald’s
“strategies” or “agendas,” as if he operates according to any organizing
principles. He doesn’t. Donald’s ego has been and is a fragile and
inadequate barrier between him and the real world, which, thanks to his
father’s money and power, he never had to negotiate by himself. Donald
has always needed to perpetuate the fiction my grandfather started that he
is strong, smart, and otherwise extraordinary, because facing the truth—
that he is none of those things—is too terrifying for him to contemplate.
Donald, following the lead of my grandfather and with the complicity,
silence, and inaction of his siblings, destroyed my father. I can’t let him
destroy my country.
So far, I have to say I think she's spot on when it comes to her uncle.
Old 16th July 2020, 02:44 PM   #260
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Unfortunately, this book is not going to be a blockbuster. The information in it just isn't anything we didn't already know. It doesn't look like the SAT thing is going to gain any traction, which it probably shouldn't, being 50 years old and all that. Everything else seems to be "the whole family thinks he's kind of an idiot." And? Tell me something I don't know.

I would like it if someone brought something up that simply couldn't be denied by his defenders, but those defenders are pretty good at denial. I don't see this book being the thing that pulls down the house of cards.
I think you might be underestimating the gossip factor. Certainly more in this book (from the reviews) than Bolton's.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2020, 02:53 PM   #261
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I'm finding the book far more interesting than I thought I would. Mary's insight into her family and how it shaped Donald is fascinating. In essence, Donald's mother, Mary, was an emotionally needy woman who was often ill and used her children to meet her own emotional needs rather than attending to theirs. She left the 'mothering' of her children to her eldest daughter, Maryanne. Mary Trump says her grandfather, Fred, was a sociopath.
Quote:
Whereas Mary was needy, Fred seemed to have no emotional needs at
all. In fact, he was a high-functioning sociopath.
Quote:
My grandmother was ill equipped to deal with the problems caused
in her marriage by Fred’s callousness, indifference, and controlling
behaviors. Fred’s lack of real human feeling, his rigidity as a parent and a
husband, and his sexist belief in a woman’s innate inferiority
likely left
her feeling unsupported.
Sound familiar?

ETA: Reading more about how Fred T believed taking care of children was 'women's work', how he failed to pay attention to his young children but instead devoted himself to his work is pretty much how Ivana T described Donald as a father. We also know he had/has little interaction with his daughter by Marla Maples, Tiffany.

ETA:
Quote:
"Although frugal, Fred was neither modest nor humble. Early in his career,
he had lied about his age in order to appear more precocious. He had had a
propensity for showmanship, and he often trafficked in hyperbole—
everything was “great,” “fantastic,” and “perfect.”
Like father, like son.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 16th July 2020 at 03:48 PM.
Old 16th July 2020, 02:53 PM   #262
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I think you might be underestimating the gossip factor. Certainly more in this book (from the reviews) than Bolton's.
Could be. I hope so.

I gave up on predicting the American electorate on November 8, 2016.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2020, 06:01 PM   #263
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

A million sales on first day:
Quote:
Thanks to combined presales and first-day sales of print, ebooks and e-audiobooks, the book has sold more than 950,000 copies on its first official day of sales, a company record, according to publisher Simon & Schuster.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...es/5450614002/
Old 16th July 2020, 06:05 PM   #264
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
That ought to piss off Trump royally! I'm thoroughly enjoying it.
Old 16th July 2020, 06:23 PM   #265
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

That ought to piss off Trump royally! I'm thoroughly enjoying it.
It wouldn't cost the publisher much to send a personal copy to every member of Congress.
Old 16th July 2020, 06:24 PM   #266
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I'll bet George Soros bought them all to make Trump look bad!

(I have occasionally seen claims that Soros is behind all sorts of things that could theoretically be manipulated by money, including presidential betting pools.)
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2020, 06:34 PM   #267
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I'll bet George Soros bought them all to make Trump look bad!

(I have occasionally seen claims that Soros is behind all sorts of things that could theoretically be manipulated by money, including presidential betting pools.)
They blame Soros for everything. Yet Soros doesn't donate to Democratic candidates a fraction of what the Koch brothers donate.
Old 16th July 2020, 06:51 PM   #268
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

One thing that is clearly shown in the book is that the Trumps are one really screwed up family. Talk about dysfunctional! The same scenario is being played out in the next generation with Trump's older three children: the desire to please a cold and authoritarian father at all costs. It's really rather sad.
Old 16th July 2020, 06:54 PM   #269
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

One thing that is clearly shown in the book is that the Trumps are one really screwed up family. Talk about dysfunctional! The same scenario is being played out in the next generation with Trump's older three children: the desire to please a cold and authoritarian father at all costs. It's really rather sad.
Screw them. What's sad is what they've done to the rest of us.
Old 16th July 2020, 07:18 PM   #270
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

To be fair, one of Fred's kids is a federal judge, and another one is the President of the United States. They seemed to have weathered their dysfunction fairly well.

Ok....and....one died young as an alcoholic. Three out of four ain't bad.
Old 16th July 2020, 07:48 PM   #271
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

To be fair, one of Fred's kids is a federal judge, and another one is the President of the United States. They seemed to have weathered their dysfunction fairly well.

Ok....and....one died young as an alcoholic. Three out of four ain't bad.
Maryanne, the judge, had to pay her own way through law school even though she was the daughter of a multi-millionaire. When she wanted to go to college, her father told her to go to vocational school and be a receptionist. She was forced to stay in an unhappy marriage for years because her family refused to help her. She also became a judge on the US District
Court for the District of New Jersey after being an asst. district attorney for years because she asked Donald to see what he 'could do' for her. He had Roy Cohn call Ed Meese, the NJ Attorney General, and ask for 'a favor'. Maryanne was nominated in Sept. and confirmed in Oct. Donald thought it would be to his advantage to have his sister on the bench in a state he was planning to do a lot of business in.

There were five Trump siblings, not four: Maryanne, Fred Jr., Elizabeth, Donald, and Robert.

They were a hugely dysfunctional family.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 16th July 2020 at 07:49 PM.
Old 16th July 2020, 09:10 PM   #272
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Maryanne, the judge, had to pay her own way through law school even though she was the daughter of a multi-millionaire. When she wanted to go to college, her father told her to go to vocational school and be a receptionist. She was forced to stay in an unhappy marriage for years because her family refused to help her. She also became a judge on the US District
Court for the District of New Jersey after being an asst. district attorney for years because she asked Donald to see what he 'could do' for her. He had Roy Cohn call Ed Meese, the NJ Attorney General, and ask for 'a favor'. Maryanne was nominated in Sept. and confirmed in Oct. Donald thought it would be to his advantage to have his sister on the bench in a state he was planning to do a lot of business in.

There were five Trump siblings, not four: Maryanne, Fred Jr., Elizabeth, Donald, and Robert.

They were a hugely dysfunctional family.
Hmmm....I never heard of Elizabeth, and I don't know much about Robert. Well, really, I don't know much about any of them except....uhhh...that one.

Donald also has a daughter he never brings up, doesn't he? I think I've seen him with her once. Everyone knows about Ivanka, of course, and Don Jr. and Eric, but there's another daughter, and we will charitably assume that he is intensely devoted to his son, Barron, but wants to keep him out of the public eye, and that's why you would practically not know that the kid exists.

Yeah, it is pretty dysfunctional, isn't it?

ETA: Tiffany. That's her name.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 16th July 2020 at 09:16 PM.
Old 16th July 2020, 09:15 PM   #273
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I'm starting to worry that Mary's book is going to be Exhibit A in Trump's inevitable insanity plea ...
Old 16th July 2020, 09:42 PM   #274
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Hmmm....I never heard of Elizabeth, and I don't know much about Robert. Well, really, I don't know much about any of them except....uhhh...that one.

Donald also has a daughter he never brings up, doesn't he? I think I've seen him with her once. Everyone knows about Ivanka, of course, and Don Jr. and Eric, but there's another daughter, and we will charitably assume that he is intensely devoted to his son, Barron, but wants to keep him out of the public eye, and that's why you would practically not know that the kid exists.

I don't know why you assume Donald is intensely devoted to his son Barron. I

don't think Donald is intensely devoted to anyone other than himself.
Old 16th July 2020, 10:01 PM   #275
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

She just graduated from Georgetown Law. She sounds like she fits into the family mold. Maybe she can sign on to Daddy's defense team.
https://www.vanityfair.com/style/202...ted-law-school
Old 16th July 2020, 11:15 PM   #276
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I found this from the book amusing. Mary was hired by Donald to ghostwrite one of his books, The Art of the Comeback. Being unable to pin him down for an interview after several weeks (and still unpaid), he called her to tell her had some "really good" material for her to work with:

Quote:
The next day, Rhona handed me a manila envelope containing about ten
typewritten pages, as promised. I took it to my desk and began to read.
When I finished, I wasn’t sure what to think. It was clearly a transcript of
a recording Donald had made, which explained its stream-of-consciousness quality. It was an aggrieved compendium of women he had
expected to date but who, having refused him, were suddenly the worst,
ugliest, and fattest slobs he’d ever met. The biggest takeaways were that
Madonna chewed gum in a way Donald found unattractive and that
Katarina Witt, a German Olympic figure skater who had won two gold
medals and four world championships, had big calves.
I stopped asking him for an interview.
ETA: At Fred Trump's funeral, all the children spoke about their father. Mary said this about Donald:

Quote:
Donald was the only one to deviate from
the script. In a cringe-inducing turn, his eulogy devolved into a paean to
his own greatness. It was so embarrassing that Maryanne later told her son
not to allow any of her siblings to speak at her funeral.
Some things never change.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 16th July 2020 at 11:59 PM.
Old 17th July 2020, 12:26 AM   #277
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Another compelling review:
Quote:
.... Mary Trump begins from the assumption that other analysis tends to end with: Donald Trump is lethally dangerous, stunningly incoherent, and pathologically incapable of caring about anyone but himself. So, what Mary Trump wants to know is: What the hell is wrong with everyone around him? As she writes in her prologue, “there’s been very little effort to understand not only why he became what he is but how he’s consistently failed up despite his glaring lack of fitness.”
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...-enablers.html
Old 17th July 2020, 01:06 AM   #278
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I finished the book. Well worth reading to help understand what makes Trump tick and why. So much is explained about him.
Old 17th July 2020, 01:14 AM   #279
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The more I hear about Trump from the book, the more I feel sorry for him.
Seems like he never had the chance to become a grownup.
Old 17th July 2020, 01:34 AM   #280
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The more I hear about Trump from the book, the more I feel sorry for him.
Seems like he never had the chance to become a grownup.
Mary says he is still emotionally a three year old child.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics