ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th August 2020, 01:58 AM   #161
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Well, if it means anything, at least some republicans think Trump is making a mistake in attacking mail-in ballots.

Behind the scenes, top Republicans are urging senior Trump campaign officials to press the President to change his messaging and embrace mail-in voting, warning that the party could lose the battle for control of Congress and the White House if he doesn't change his tune... Every vote will count in critical battleground states, they argue, fearful that deterring GOP voters from choosing a convenient option to cast their ballots could ultimately sway the outcome of races that are decided by a couple of percentage points.

In other words, some republicans are worried that Trump's actions may backfire. Which makes sense... unlike other methods of voter suppression (e.g. closing polls in districts with large minority populations, voter roll purges, etc.), messing with mail-in voting doesn't seem to have the same ability to differentiate between Republican and Democrat voters. And when Trump attacks mail-in voting, the ones that are most likely to listen to him are the MAGAchuds. So Trump may be suppressing his own vote.
But he's only against main-in voting if it's where he thinks it will hurt democrats. Again, look at the difference in response to Nevada and Florida.
Old 15th August 2020, 02:13 AM   #162
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

we will get a fully-funded Postal Service and Mail-in-ballot setup in no time if we tell Trump that the alternative is voting via Tik-Tok.
Old 15th August 2020, 04:55 AM   #163
erlando
Graduate Poster

Trump's plan to cripple the US election is working:

Postal Service Warns Mail-In Ballots In 46 States May Not Be Delivered In Time
Old 15th August 2020, 11:07 AM   #164
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by erlando View Post

It helps when you have a Trump crony in charge of the USPS doing everything he can to slow down delivery service, remove post office boxes (which has now been stopped over Dem outcry), and eliminate overtime.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2020, 11:51 AM   #165
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I predict and hope that the election is sufficiently far away that all that Trump will achieve with his anti-USPS rhetoric is to harden the system for November - not even Republicans want the Trump Post Office killing elders by delaying their medication delivery.
The problem with that is that Trump's hand-picked Postmaster General is a Trump crony and donor. His sole task right now is to get Trump reelected. If destruction of the Post Office also happens, then it's a win-win for them.
Old 16th August 2020, 03:53 AM   #166
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Dan rather had this to say about Trump's attempt to crash the USPS

He tweeted...
"So Joe Biden can now run on saving the Postal Service. That's a gift - the equivalent of a two-foot putt in politics. Donald Trump probably knows about two-foot putts. Or does he cheat on those too?"

https://twitter.com/DanRather/status...61097446727680

Classic Dan Rather!

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2020, 03:55 AM   #167
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
It helps when you have a Trump crony in charge of the USPS doing everything he can to slow down delivery service, remove post office boxes (which has now been stopped over Dem outcry), and eliminate overtime.
Do I see an opportunity here for FEDEX?

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2020, 04:04 AM   #168
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

US Rep. Bill Pascrell Jr. has made a formal Criminal Referral of Donald Trump and USPS Postmaster General Louis DeJoy to the New Jersey Attorney General, for Election Subversion.

https://lawandcrime.com/2020-electio...ostal-service/

Old 16th August 2020, 04:21 AM   #169
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

They've also instituted a programme of getting rid of sorting machines, although that did begin before the new head was in charge. There are reports from insiders saying that they've literally seen working machines being purposely destroyed to ensure they can't be used.
Old 16th August 2020, 04:26 AM   #170
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
The problem with that is that Trump's hand-picked Postmaster General is a Trump crony and donor. His sole task right now is to get Trump reelected. If destruction of the Post Office also happens, then it's a win-win for them.
He also has, with his wife, between $30m and 75m worth of investments in rival mail carriers.
Old 16th August 2020, 06:09 AM   #171
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Dan rather had this to say about Trump's attempt to crash the USPS

He tweeted...

"So Joe Biden can now run on saving the Postal Service. That's a gift - the equivalent of a two-foot putt in politics. Donald Trump probably knows about two-foot putts. Or does he cheat on those too?"

Classic Dan Rather!
He has a good point.

Lots of people do like having the post office. And I suspect this is particularly true among seniors (a demographic group that had been more supportive of the Republicans in past elections.)

A campaign ad talking about how trump's dismantling of the post office is preventing you getting birthday cards, medicines, and your social security cheques delivered on time could do some damage.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2020, 06:51 AM   #172
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

There was a small protest outside DeJoy’s condo.

https://dcist.com/story/20/08/15/pro...n-voting-loom/

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2020, 08:18 AM   #173
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Republicans:" the Postal Service doesn't work!"
Everyone else:"it's working fine"
Republicans:"not when one of us is running it!"
Old 16th August 2020, 01:01 PM   #174
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Earlier today, Jake Tapper confronted the WH Chief of Staff Mark Meadows with the fact that there is no evidence of widespread mail in voter fraud. Meadows retorted with this idiocy: "There's no evidence there's not either. That's the definition of fraud, Jake!"

So the definition of fraud is that there's no evidence of it. Uh huh. Right. Got it.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2020, 01:09 PM   #175
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

It's a crime that Republicans have to resort to fraud to win.
Trump is just leveling the playing field that got lopsided by the the GOP being repulsive to voters.
Old 16th August 2020, 01:38 PM   #176
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump falsely claimed in May that kids raided ballot drop boxes, collected ballots and gave them to people 'down at the end of the street' who then fraudulently signed them. There was zero evidence of this. The man just lies and lies and lies.
Old 16th August 2020, 03:19 PM   #177
Lucian
Illuminator

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Do I see an opportunity here for FEDEX?
No. For one thing, in many states, mailed ballots must have a postmark. Only the USPS can do that. However, most--if not all--states have ballot drop boxes. That seems to be the safest option.
Lucian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2020, 03:54 PM   #178
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

It varies by state, but I seem to recall hearing one account in which some state which does not allow ballots to be hand delivered did allow other carriers than USPS, including UPS and Fedex, which does suggest that there could be an opening for an alternative system. I think it would a grand public relations gesture if some outfit like UPS stepped in and made arrangements. Perhaps even if there is a USPS proviso, they could provide some service in which they sort or process ballots and then leave the final delivery to USPS, as they sometimes do currently.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2020, 03:58 PM   #179
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Rational People: "We're afraid Trump is going to purposely sabotage the Postal Service to rig the election."
Trumpers: "LOL lookit the triggered libs. You're being dramatic."
Trump: "Hi this is President Donald Trump. I'm literally saying I'm going to purposely sabotage the Postal Service to rig the election. Here's my saying it. Here's a copy of my new book Rigging the Postal Service to Rig the Election: This is Totally What I'm Doing."
Trumpers: "LOL triggered libs."
Old 16th August 2020, 04:07 PM   #180
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by erlando View Post

Land of the free!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2020, 04:12 PM   #181
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Rational People: "We're afraid Trump is going to purposely sabotage the Postal Service to rig the election."
Trump: "Hi this is President Donald Trump. I'm literally saying I'm going to purposely sabotage the Postal Service to rig the election. Here's my saying it. Here's a copy of my new book Rigging the Postal Service to Rig the Election: This is Totally What I'm Doing."
It's clear what they care about: winning at all costs.

People who don't care about democracy should not participate in it.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2020, 04:35 PM   #182
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trumpter: He was just joking!
Old 16th August 2020, 05:00 PM   #183
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Imagine if in the summer of '12 Obama had even breathed a hint of considering hobbling the USPS...

Last edited by Lurch; 16th August 2020 at 05:08 PM.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2020, 05:32 PM   #184
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Imagine if in the summer of '12 Obama had even breathed a hint of considering hobbling the USPS...
Obama was a black non-American liberal.

You have to understand it's not hypocrisy to them because there's obviously a group of people who are just better and a group of people who are just worse, so it would be insane, literally unthinkable, to suggest the rules should apply to all of them equally.

It's like a prisoner suggesting it's "hypocrisy" that he's in the cell and the prison guard isn't, or a child suggesting it's "hypocrisy" that they don't get a say in how the household is run and their parents do.

The disparage between "us" and "them" is so obvious, so self obvious, indeed so self defining that they have literally never thought about it so they don't even think about it on any conscious level.
Old 16th August 2020, 07:52 PM   #185
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Republicans:" the Postal Service doesn't work!"
Everyone else:"it's working fine"
Republicans:"not when one of us is running it!"
Republicans: "the Postal Service doesn't work!"
Everyone else: "It's working fine"
(Republicans take a flamethrower to the Postal Service)
Republicans: "How about NOW??"
Old 16th August 2020, 08:40 PM   #186
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Quote:
In other words, some republicans are worried that Trump's actions may backfire. Which makes sense... unlike other methods of voter suppression (e.g. closing polls in districts with large minority populations, voter roll purges, etc.), messing with mail-in voting doesn't seem to have the same ability to differentiate between Republican and Democrat voters. And when Trump attacks mail-in voting, the ones that are most likely to listen to him are the MAGAchuds. So Trump may be suppressing his own vote.
But he's only against main-in voting if it's where he thinks it will hurt democrats. Again, look at the difference in response to Nevada and Florida.
But the problem for Trump is that the presidency is decided by winning states, not winning the overall popular vote. And if a state offers expanded vote-by-mail, I can't think of an easy way to differentiate between a republican and a democratic voter within that state.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2020, 09:21 PM   #187
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

You know, I just thought of another reason why Trump's attempts to sabotage the post-office might backfire on him.

Lets say Trump's actions cause mail delivery to slow down (so that some ballots may not be received in time.) But if I remember correctly, mail delivery within a city is usually faster than delivery in rural areas (due to greater population density, economy of scale, etc.) But Trump's has less support in urban areas than rural areas. By slowing mail, he may be making it harder for his own people to vote.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 16th August 2020, 10:18 PM   #188
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

The issue that needs to be discussed is that voting systems are designed to function with certain assumptions based on past practices. If large numbers of votes aren't counted because paper ballots didn't reach voters in time, or ballots weren't returned in time, it would invalidate the election results -- except there is no legal process to invalidate an election on that basis, or to have a redo. We might actually find out how many ballots weren't counted, but we won't know who they would have been votes for.

The real suspicion is that Trump hopes to raise enough doubts and conflicts that the election will be thrown into the House, where each state will get one vote -- and there are more Repub states than Democrat.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2020, 10:43 PM   #189
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
But the problem for Trump is that the presidency is decided by winning states, not winning the overall popular vote. And if a state offers expanded vote-by-mail, I can't think of an easy way to differentiate between a republican and a democratic voter within that state.
Reports I've seen say that Democrats are twice as likely to vote by mail. If that's accurate then any disruption of postal voting is going to affect the Democrats disproportionately.

If mail in voting is universal in a state then delaying the delivery or collection in some neighborhoods will target Democrats.

They could even be super-bold and target the idea that urban areas have a better postal service by switching resources to bolster rural services at the expense of urban ones.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2020, 10:48 PM   #190
Lurch
Graduate Poster

It seems to me that the man in the street in the US gets more worked up over cheating in pro sports than in political elections.

I'd bet that a MAGA hat would feel more of a twinge of shame if his home ball team cheated than he would if he knew Trump or his Congressional rep cheated. Concerning sports, there is still a general societal contract where cheating is a low and base thing to engage in. But in politics, it's more of a dog eat dog, rat **** mentality.

Strange, really, how in the more consequential milieu comportment is attended with less moral constraint.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2020, 12:25 AM   #191
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

In a nutshell:

Clipboard01.jpg

https://twitter.com/Patbagley/status...70232234016768
Old 17th August 2020, 03:06 AM   #192
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

For a while now, people on one side of the political divide in the US have been claiming that those on the other side are going to steal the election. It's not just Republicans (though IMO they're the ones who, for the last couple of decades, have been screaming about imagined wide scale voter fraud), Democrats have also had claims about hacked voting machines, irregularities in process and so on.

I realise that there have been major efforts over the last few election cycles to prevent certain people from voting by purging election rolls, implementing voter ID regulations, making it difficult to get to polling stations and so on but IMO these have been somewhat localised and relatively modest in scope.

This is the first time I can remember an American election where there is reasonable concern for the integrity of the process on a widespread basis. My in-laws in New Jersey are trying to decide how to cast their votes to preserve their safety whilst ensuring that their votes count. They have no confidence in the USPS. Mrs Don will cast her absentee ballot by post as always but she has little confidence that it will end up being counted because non-military ex-pats lean heavily towards the Democrats and so she expects that there's a high likelihood that her ballot will be lost somewhere along the way. She was considering sending it under plain cover to her parents so that they could drop it off in person.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2020, 05:10 AM   #193
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Mark Meadows says that we can't prove that there isn't mail-in voter fraud on CNN..even go so far as to say that the inability to prove there isn't fraud is part of the definition.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2020, 05:15 AM   #194
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Mark Meadows says that we can't prove that there isn't mail-in voter fraud on CNN..even go so far as to say that the inability to prove there isn't fraud is part of the definition.
We also can't prove that Mark Meadows isn't a fraud, and that is probably also part of the definition.

Old 17th August 2020, 05:23 AM   #195
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
That's a consistent message the right has been pushing.

One of the reasons why Hillary had to be crooked was the absence of evidence of wrongdoing. This means that she, and her organisation, must be so used to having to hide things, they've become expert at cover-ups.

OTOH all the ample apparent evidence of President Trump's illegal activities is a clear indicator of his fundamental honesty. He's so honest, he hasn't even thought of covering things up - hence the evidence.
Old 17th August 2020, 05:23 AM   #196
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
We also can't prove that Mark Meadows isn't a fraud, and that is probably also part of the definition.
It's not surprising. These are the same morons that think "you can't prove the my god isn't real" is a reasonable statement.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2020, 05:33 AM   #197
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Another thing we're dealing with in politics because we refused to deal with it in Woo.
Old 17th August 2020, 05:39 AM   #198
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Another thing we're dealing with in politics because we refused to deal with it in Woo.
I'm not sure it's a refusal to deal with it, more that it's now a case that there are a lot of people who are impervious to evidence.

They have been told and/or have decided that mail-in voting is insecure (whereas absentee ballots are just fine and dandy) and no amount of evidence to the contrary will sway them because it doesn't fit in with their chosen narrative.
Old 17th August 2020, 11:22 AM   #199
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I'm not sure it's a refusal to deal with it, more that it's now a case that there are a lot of people who are impervious to evidence.

They have been told and/or have decided that mail-in voting is insecure (whereas absentee ballots are just fine and dandy) and no amount of evidence to the contrary will sway them because it doesn't fit in with their chosen narrative.
The USPS can somehow cope with 'absentee' ballots but not with 'mail in' ballots.
Old 17th August 2020, 07:02 PM   #200
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

The USPS can somehow cope with 'absentee' ballots but not with 'mail in' ballots.
That's because mail in ballots are going out to everyone and their dogs, and the illegals, and the dead....

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics