ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th August 2020, 07:08 PM   #201
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
That's because mail in ballots are going out to everyone and their dogs, and the illegals, and the dead....
What's to stop Fido from requesting an absentee ballot? Just because he hasn't got opposable thumbs and can't hold a pen is no reason to disenfranchise him! Sounds like a dog whistle to Trump's base to me.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2020, 08:44 PM   #202
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Oh for pity's sake (not directed at the above post but rather a couple further upthread). Meadows is nothing but a Trump shill. And he's been challenged by a few reporters because his claims about counterfeit ballots are absurd. Of course they don't push him when he repeats the same thing the reporters challenged.

He's still getting free air time to repeat the same spiel on the Sunday talk shows and more without being seriously challenged.

They are gaslighting and they know it.

It's not likely people's dogs are registered to vote and have a sig on file.

They know damn well they are lying, ignoring the whole voter registration part of the process along with ignoring how hard it is to present a reasonable counterfeit signature of the person who actually registered.

A reporter ran through the steps someone would have to go through to counterfeit a single ballot. It was very difficult and compared to how many ballots are submitted, it's a negligible number.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 17th August 2020 at 08:45 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2020, 08:45 PM   #203
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Oh for pity's sake. Meadows is nothing but a Trump shill. And he's been challenged by a few reporters because his claims about counterfeit ballots are absurd. Of course they don't push him when he repeats the same thing the reporters challenged.

He's still getting free air time to repeat the same spiel on the Sunday talk shows and more without being seriously challenged.

They are gaslighting and they know it.

It's not likely people's dogs are registered to vote and have a sig on file.

They know damn well they are lying, ignoring the whole voter registration part of the process along with ignoring how hard it is to present a reasonable counterfeit signature of the person who actually registered.

A reporter ran through the steps someone would have to go through to counterfeit a single ballot. It was very difficult and compared to how many ballots are submitted, it's a negligible number.
Yeah, buttery males!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2020, 07:30 AM   #204
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

A rather informative opinion piece on mail in balloting, labeling Trump's threats against it to be rather hollow.

See: Politico

What it points out:

- The removal of mail boxes has been going on for over a decade, and has more to do with a decrease in the amount of mail people are sending. (Its a similar situation with the removal of postal sorting machines... the post office just doesn't see the same volume of mail that it used to.)

- The letter that was sent to the states suggesting that they couldn't guarantee that mail-in ballots would be processed on time was actually prepared before Trump's new postmaster general actually took office

- The U.S. post office can handle hundreds of millions of pieces of mail a day. Even if everyone decides to mail in their ballots on the same day, it would still be only a small fraction of the volume that they handle on a regular basis. (And, its doubtful that people will all mail in their ballots on the same day...). Furthermore, many states offering vote-by-mail have drop boxes. (Approximately 16% of all mail-in ballots get deposited in special drop boxes.)

Trump certainly isn't blameless... his new postmaster general does have a conflict of interest, Trump's attacks on mail-in balloting are based on lies and harm the political process. But it looks like many of his attacks are more cosmetic rather than practical.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2020, 07:34 AM   #205
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
A rather informative opinion piece on mail in balloting, labeling Trump's threats against it to be rather hollow.

What it points out:

- The removal of mail boxes has been going on for over a decade, and has more to do with a decrease in the amount of mail people are sending. (Its a similar situation with the removal of postal sorting machines... the post office just doesn't see the same volume of mail that it used to.)

- The letter that was sent to the states suggesting that they couldn't guarantee that mail-in ballots would be processed on time was actually prepared before Trump's new postmaster general actually took office

- The U.S. post office can handle hundreds of millions of pieces of mail a day. Even if everyone decides to mail in their ballots on the same day, it would still be only a small fraction of the volume that they handle on a regular basis. (And, its doubtful that people will all mail in their ballots on the same day...). Furthermore, many states offering vote-by-mail have drop boxes. (Approximately 16% of all mail-in ballots get deposited in special drop boxes.)

Trump certainly isn't blameless... his new postmaster general does have a conflict of interest, Trump's attacks on mail-in balloting are based on lies and harm the political process. But it looks like many of his attacks are more cosmetic rather than practical.
I've also been seeing a lot of posts on social media claiming that boxes are being modified to not accept mail. This also isn't true.

Around my area, at least, the USPS has been modifying blue mail boxes so that they can only accept envelopes through a narrow slit, rather than the dump doors they used to have. I suspect this is a response to people printing out shipping labels at home and trying to cram packages into the blue boxes (including yours truly), which is a burden to the mail collector, especially if a foot route. The USPS is modifying these boxes so that packages have to be brought to the post office, not to prevent the ordinary flow of mail.
Old 18th August 2020, 07:36 AM   #206
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Myanmar Shave !
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2020, 07:38 AM   #207
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
When I lived in Europe for seven years I voted absentee and it all seemed to work fine. In the US, when I lived in Washington State, we voted mail-in. There's something about sitting in your living room on a Sunday morning, in your boxer shorts going over the ballot while you have coffee that makes democracy very satisfying.
They don't have chairs at your polling stations?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2020, 07:47 AM   #208
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

What it points out:

This is partly true, but the process was accelerated so that LeJoy's new 'no overtime' policy can be worked. Had this happened any time that wasn't mere months before an election during a pandemic I would be less concerned. But LeJoy's policies are unsustainable. Same with the sorting machines.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2020, 07:49 AM   #209
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
No. Our "Polling Stations" are almost universally just setup in churches, school gyms, and community centers and just consist of a X amount of voting booth and some folding chairs and tables for the voting volunteers to setup at. They don't exactly tend to have anything that could properly be called an "amenity" outside of whatever the site's original purpose might have.
Old 18th August 2020, 08:03 AM   #210
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I've also been seeing a lot of posts on social media claiming that boxes are being modified to not accept mail. This also isn't true.

Around my area, at least, the USPS has been modifying blue mail boxes so that they can only accept envelopes through a narrow slit, rather than the dump doors they used to have. I suspect this is a response to people printing out shipping labels at home and trying to cram packages into the blue boxes (including yours truly), which is a burden to the mail collector, especially if a foot route. The USPS is modifying these boxes so that packages have to be brought to the post office, not to prevent the ordinary flow of mail.
At least some appear to have been locked in a way that prevents any mail from being inserted. I don't know how common that is though.

FB warning: Locked mailbox image
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2020, 08:09 AM   #211
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
No. Our "Polling Stations" are almost universally just setup in churches, school gyms, and community centers and just consist of a X amount of voting booth and some folding chairs and tables for the voting volunteers to setup at. They don't exactly tend to have anything that could properly be called an "amenity" outside of whatever the site's original purpose might have.
Yep there is also no requirement that these polling stations meet ADA requirements for accessibility.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2020, 08:41 AM   #212
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
FB warning: Locked mailbox image
No indication from the photo of when or where it was taken. I did a google search for the words on the lock, and turned up this article:

Every mailbox in Brooklyn Heights was locked down Wednesday
"Postal officials had placed locks on every USPS mailbox in the neighborhood — that’s dozens — on Wednesday afternoon to prevent someone from setting off a bomb in one of them during the July 4 Independence Day fireworks display."
The article has a similar photo showing the same lock. Note the date also: July 5, 2018.

Also found this one:
When the US president travels, the world stands still
"Police line the streets on the Upper East Side, where Mr Obama attends a Democratic fundraiser. Nearby a mailbox has a padlock and a red sign: "This collection box has been locked." This makes it harder to stuff it with explosives."
That's from 2015.

With no sourcing on the photo's time or place, there's no reason to think that it's any different from these other examples.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2020, 09:03 AM   #213
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I did a google search for the words on the lock,
WORDS??? You looked up WORDS? What kind of magic sorcery is that???

Okay - so I did an image search and that went nowhere, just the same meme-type comments all over the place. It never occurred to me to look up the actual text of the thing, which is obvious in retrospect.

Thanks for keeping the "S" in ISF.

Last edited by crescent; 18th August 2020 at 09:22 AM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2020, 09:21 AM   #214
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Damn it, I gave away my secret!
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2020, 09:25 AM   #215
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
That's the little-endian version. The big-endian version is the other way around, since as far as I recall, the Democratic Republican party split into both.
Obviously it's time to revive the Federalists.
Old 18th August 2020, 10:14 AM   #216
ahhell
Illuminator

Trump's threats against it to be rather hollow.
This should be at the beginning and end of pretty much any discussion of Trump's rhetoric.

The only thing he's actually proficient at is trolling.

Side note, I'm old enough to remember when voting consisted of filling out a ballot in a booth and dropping it in a box. What happened to all those boxes? Why can't we just have a guy sitting by a box in the usually spots as a backup to mail in? This also has the advantage of allowing last minute voting.

Here in the wild west of Colorado, we can mail stuff in or drop in one of the many boxes conveniently located about.

Last edited by ahhell; 18th August 2020 at 10:17 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2020, 10:26 AM   #217
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Words? Words? What is 'words'?
Old 18th August 2020, 11:18 AM   #218
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
This should be at the beginning and end of pretty much any discussion of Trump's rhetoric.

Side note, I'm old enough to remember when voting consisted of filling out a ballot in a booth and dropping it in a box. What happened to all those boxes? Why can't we just have a guy sitting by a box in the usually spots as a backup to mail in? This also has the advantage of allowing last minute voting.

Here in the wild west of Colorado, we can mail stuff in or drop in one of the many boxes conveniently located about.
What they don't have those fancy new locks on them like they do in black communities?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2020, 05:55 PM   #219
Lucian
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
For a while now, people on one side of the political divide in the US have been claiming that those on the other side are going to steal the election. It's not just Republicans (though IMO they're the ones who, for the last couple of decades, have been screaming about imagined wide scale voter fraud), Democrats have also had claims about hacked voting machines, irregularities in process and so on.

I realise that there have been major efforts over the last few election cycles to prevent certain people from voting by purging election rolls, implementing voter ID regulations, making it difficult to get to polling stations and so on but IMO these have been somewhat localised and relatively modest in scope.

This is the first time I can remember an American election where there is reasonable concern for the integrity of the process on a widespread basis. My in-laws in New Jersey are trying to decide how to cast their votes to preserve their safety whilst ensuring that their votes count. They have no confidence in the USPS. Mrs Don will cast her absentee ballot by post as always but she has little confidence that it will end up being counted because non-military ex-pats lean heavily towards the Democrats and so she expects that there's a high likelihood that her ballot will be lost somewhere along the way. She was considering sending it under plain cover to her parents so that they could drop it off in person.
Ballot drop boxes in New Jersey
Lucian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th August 2020, 07:06 PM   #220
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Hardly.

Russia if you're listening... they were
The kids in cages weren't merely trolled
The peaceful protesters who were assaulted by Trump's thugs weren't merely trolled
Ukraine wasn't merely trolled; they were strong-armed at a time of great vulnerability.
170k dead people weren't merely trolled
Were the morons who ingested bleach trolled?
Colonel Vindman wasn't merely trolled
The whistleblower wasn't merely trolled
The IGs who were swept away weren't merely trolled

I could go on at astounding length itemizing his actual destructiveness.

I really thought we were finally past the point of pretending that the words of a POTUS aren't highly impactful.
Old 18th August 2020, 11:51 PM   #221
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Yep there is also no requirement that these polling stations meet ADA requirements for accessibility.

Actually, there is.
Quote:
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is a federal civil rights law that provides protections to people with disabilities to ensure that they are treated equally in all aspects of life. Title II of the ADA requires state and local governments (“public entities”) to ensure that people with disabilities have a full and equal opportunity to vote. The ADA’s provisions apply to all aspects of voting, including polling places (or vote centers).
Sad to say, as is not uncommon with so many legislative efforts towards equal rights (not to mention simple common decency), there is a large gap between the law and actual compliance.
Quote:
In communities large and small, people cast their ballots in a variety of facilities that temporarily serve as polling places, such as libraries, schools, and fire stations, or churches, stores, and other private buildings. Voters include people with a variety of disabilities, such as those who use wheelchairs, scooters, or other devices, those who have difficulty walking or using stairs, or those who are blind or have vision loss. They are people, young and old, who have come to their polling place to exercise their right to vote. Many public entities report that their polling places are accessible. However, the Government Accountability Office estimates that only 27% of polling places were accessible to people with disabilities in the 2008 elections.1 This means that 73% of the polling places used in 2008 had architectural barriers that made it difficult or even impossible for people with disabilities to enter their polling place and vote side by side with their neighbors.
Here at least, in Durham County, NC we seem to have generally accessible polling places, as they are usually in places like public libraries, courthouses, churches, etc. which are already ADA compliant. All of the precincts that I have been to in my more than four decades of residence here have been.

But in addition to that we also have "curbside voting" at all the polling places, a service provided for those who are physically unable to access the polls within the building. (To head off those who are going to ask, this service is rarely abused, a rather intimidating legal document attesting to the serious and incapacitating nature of the disability must be signed before getting a ballot. People who really need it usually get an absentee ballot, which is unrestricted anyway. If you don't want to go to the polls, for whatever reason, you don't need to.)

Durham County does try pretty hard to do it right. I wish the same could be said for all of the other 99 counties in the state.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2020, 12:22 PM   #222
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Should be noted that the Supreme Court today ruled against the RNC's request to force each absentee ballot to be signed by 2 other people or a notary public.
That'll annoy the Trumpettes.
Old 19th August 2020, 12:26 PM   #223
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Good.

They're efforts to hamper voting are disgusting.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2020, 11:05 PM   #224
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

NC beat them to it. Sorta, anyhow..

They changed the witness requirements a couple months ago.

Now we just need one witness, or a notary.

Don't ask me what the difference is. My best guess is that it just got left in from when they changed it from two witnesses or a notary.

As nearly as I can tell, aside from a few reasonable exceptions, I can stop any mope on the street and ask them to be my witness.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2020, 02:30 PM   #225
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Good.

They're Their efforts to hamper voting are disgusting.
Edited for stupid mistake.
Old 20th August 2020, 08:38 PM   #226
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Edited for stupid mistake.
Meh, we all do it occasionally.

There are a bunch of protests organized for Sat at post offices all over the country.

https://www.savethepostoffice.net/ev...d/search/?logo

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2020, 07:10 AM   #227
Distracted1
Illuminator

I need advice.
Approximately two weeks ago I, my SO, and my youngest Stepson (who has not lived at home for over three years) received (unsolicited) applications for absentee ballots via the mail.

Although still planning to vote in person, my SO and I discussed it and decided to send back the filled out applications (not the one for my Stepson- he is in the army and will do his voting from there) as a "just in case".

Yesterday, she collected the mail- and in it were three envelopes addressed to her, me, and my Stepson from the Commonwealth. She at first thought they would be the ballots we were expecting having sent the applications for them back about ten days prior. Instead, they were three more applications for absentee ballots !.

What to do with these?
Do we fill them out again and risk having sent in two applications from each of us- perhaps leading to having our votes nullified for having two ballots for the same person?

Do we "wait and see" if the first application results in getting a ballot? How long do we give it before filling out this second request and mailing it in?

If we get the ballots- but decide not to use them, will that cause our in-person votes to be flagged?

This is in Philadelphia, BTW.

Anyone else experiencing anything like this?
Old 21st August 2020, 08:46 AM   #228
ZirconBlue
Sole Survivor of L-Town

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
I need advice.
Approximately two weeks ago I, my SO, and my youngest Stepson (who has not lived at home for over three years) received (unsolicited) applications for absentee ballots via the mail.

Although still planning to vote in person, my SO and I discussed it and decided to send back the filled out applications (not the one for my Stepson- he is in the army and will do his voting from there) as a "just in case".

Yesterday, she collected the mail- and in it were three envelopes addressed to her, me, and my Stepson from the Commonwealth. She at first thought they would be the ballots we were expecting having sent the applications for them back about ten days prior. Instead, they were three more applications for absentee ballots !.

What to do with these?
Do we fill them out again and risk having sent in two applications from each of us- perhaps leading to having our votes nullified for having two ballots for the same person?

Do we "wait and see" if the first application results in getting a ballot? How long do we give it before filling out this second request and mailing it in?

If we get the ballots- but decide not to use them, will that cause our in-person votes to be flagged?

In KY, they have indicated that ballots won't be sent out until after September 4, as that is the final deadline to get on the ballot in our state. You might check the timeline for PA to see when they anticipate sending out ballots.
The numbers look the same on their credit cards.
ZirconBlue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2020, 09:16 AM   #229
Distracted1
Illuminator

https://www.votespa.com/Voting-in-PA...ee-Ballot.aspx

There is a place on this website that claims to allow those who have already applied for an absentee ballot to track its' status. Thanks for the tip.

I filled in the fields on the page and got the alarming message that my data does not match their records!

I am going to hope it just means that the first application I filled out has not been recieved or inputted yet.
It does provide a deadline of October 27th. for the receipt of an application, which seems a little unrealistic, no? I have been waiting ten days, and still no ballot- how do they expect an application to be processed with enough time to get the ballot out and back in seven?
Old 21st August 2020, 09:39 AM   #230
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I need advice.

What to do with these?

There's a lot of information online, for instance:

PA.gov: Check your ballot status

The link was from here:Mail-In and Absentee Ballots
Quote:
Already applied for a ballot? Not sure?

Check the status of your application here!
That page has everything you want to know about absentee and mail-in ballots.

Edited to add: I see you found a different web page.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 21st August 2020 at 09:42 AM.
Old 21st August 2020, 11:27 AM   #231
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

There are mailboxes all over the country being removed. I'm aware that to some extent, this is a result of long term planning. Why they are being removed is irrelevant to my point.

Imagine for a moment that Trump's freakout over voting by mail is sincere though misguided. Also imagine that Trump wants a free and fair election. Finally, imagine that he gives a rat's ass about protecting the public from covid. (I know it's a stretch. Try your best.)

We should be hearing something like this from our dear, freedom-loving leader:
We're decommissioning mail boxes all over the country. In order for people to be able to cast their ballots safely and securely, I've ordered my [whoever] to notify every election commission in every state that the federal government urges the states to assume ownership of these mailboxes, and re-purpose them as ballot drops.

And that saves the federal goverment huge cost! That's because I know more about logistics than anyone maybe ever.
Old 21st August 2020, 05:13 PM   #232
Nova Land
/
Tagger

I need advice.

Yesterday, she collected the mail- and in it were three envelopes addressed to her, me, and my Stepson from the Commonwealth. She at first thought they would be the ballots we were expecting having sent the applications for them back about ten days prior...
Originally Posted by ZirconBlue View Post
In KY, they have indicated that ballots won't be sent out until after September 4, as that is the final deadline to get on the ballot in our state. You might check the timeline for PA to see when they anticipate sending out ballots.

It's a pretty safe bet that no state will be printing up, let alone sending out, absentee ballots until after all the candidates who will appear on the ballot have been determined. Since the Republican National Convention has not yet occurred and we won't officially know who the Republican presidential and vice presidential nominees are until then, no state will be printing up and sending out ballots until after that occurs.

In addition, there are some states like Massachusetts which still have primaries coming up for some of the offices which will be on the ballot. The Massachusetts primary won't happen until September 1, so until that has happened and the votes have been counted so they know whose names to list on their ballots, Massachusetts won't be printing up or sending out any mail-in ballots.

As ZirconBlue suggested, you should check when your state plans to start printing up and sending out ballots, and you shouldn't expect your ballots to arrive before then.
Nova Land is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2020, 05:18 PM   #233
Nova Land
/
Tagger

PS: I doubt that sending in two applications would cause a problem. Until time comes to start sending out ballots, they are simply recording in a database which voters have requested ballots. When your first application arrives at their office, they'll check off that you've applied to receive a ballot. When your second application arrives, they'll see when they enter the data that you've already been listed to get a ballot and leave it at that. If their system is so screwed up that they'd enter you to receive two ballots, then whoever designed their database system needs to be fired and replaced.
Nova Land is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2020, 06:11 PM   #234
CORed
Philosopher

We've been doing mail-in in Colorado for the last few elections. Trump is looking hard for an excuse for losing, or maybe an excuse for challenging the results if he loses. I agree that it's nice to be able to take my time making a decision.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2020, 06:17 PM   #235
CORed
Philosopher

Yes. Where I live (in Colorado), the courthouse, which has a drop box is only a little bit farther than the post office. Both are within walking distance of my house.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2020, 05:09 AM   #236
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

I need advice.

You are likely on some separate mailing list that is sending out applications to voters who they think are interested. There shouldn't be any harm in re-applying because all that will happen is they'll see you already applied. Ballots aren't going to be mailed out for some time yet. You can check the status of your application and ballot here:
https://www.pavoterservices.pa.gov/P...tTracking.aspx

If you have a PA driver's license or state ID, and you are concerned the application you mailed in may take too long or not arrive, you can just apply online:
https://www.pavoterservices.pa.gov/O...eAbsenteeBegin

If you have other questions, a friend of mine is pretty heavily involved in politics in the city and is very involved with mail in voting. I can probably ask her any questions.

Last edited by bonzombiekitty; 23rd August 2020 at 05:13 AM.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2020, 11:38 PM   #237
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Yes. Where I live (in Colorado), the courthouse, which has a drop box is only a little bit farther than the post office. Both are within walking distance of my house.

Here in NC (Well, Durham County, at least.) you or a close relative can drop off your mail-in ballot at the Board of Elections office during their office hours any time up to and through election day.

On election day they have traffic control in their parking lot and reserved spots for people dropping off ballots.

As an historical note, NC is the only state which has had a serious case of absentee ballot harvesting that I am aware of, at least in recent times.

And it was the Repugnicans who were doing it.

Odd, isn't it, that Trump doesn't bring that episode up during any of his incessant, foam-flecked rants about how mail-in balloting is abused and used for illegal purposes?

Along with the takeaway. They were caught at it. The Repugnican candidate dropped out of the election. Criminal cases related to it are still popping up from time to time, even after two years.

Old 26th August 2020, 12:47 AM   #238
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Here in NC (Well, Durham County, at least.) you or a close relative can drop off your mail-in ballot at the Board of Elections office during their office hours any time up to and through election day.

On election day they have traffic control in their parking lot and reserved spots for people dropping off ballots.

As an historical note, NC is the only state which has had a serious case of absentee ballot harvesting that I am aware of, at least in recent times.

And it was the Repugnicans who were doing it.

Odd, isn't it, that Trump doesn't bring that episode up during any of his incessant, foam-flecked rants about how mail-in balloting is abused and used for illegal purposes?

Along with the takeaway. They were caught at it. The Repugnican candidate dropped out of the election. Criminal cases related to it are still popping up from time to time, even after two years.
It's not odd at all.
Old 26th August 2020, 06:22 AM   #239
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

It's not odd at all.

I had really thought that adding a sarcasm smiley for that paragraph would have been unnecessary and superfluous.

Perhaps I was mistaken.

Then again, perhaps you, too, were indulging in a bit of sarcasm.

Who knew these things would be so complicated?

Old 26th August 2020, 06:27 AM   #240
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Hand delivered my MA primary ballot to the town hall mail drop box. There was plenty of time to mail it, but the town hall is very close to the post office anyway, so I just cut out the middle man. I had the ballot for over a week before I even bothered to open it, and election day isn't until Sep 1st.

MA state website ballot tracker showed by ballot as being received the next day. Smooth transaction. Normally I would prefer to vote in person on an early voting day, as there's no lines and it goes fast, but this seems just as convenient.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics